ImageImageImageImageImage

East 1st Round - Game #5: Bullets @ 76ers 7 PM (NBA TV/NBCSW/1500 AM)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WILL A DOC RIVERS TEAM LOSE ANOTHER GAME UP 3-1?

YES
50%
NO
50%

Total votes: 12

Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 365

Re: East 1st Round - Game #5: Bullets @ 76ers 7 PM (NBA TV/NBCSW/1500 AM) 

Post#181 » by Silvie Lysandra » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:59 am

thebigE wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:This team would have been better off with not making the playoffs. This series has completely exposed how hopeless the future is with this core.

I’m glad we got “get back in the playoffs” checked off the list though so that terribly low bar gets raised higher for next year.

Until I hear the organization discuss winning a championship versus the current and historical narrative of making the playoffs, I expect the bar will remain the same.

It's not like this team has any real fans to hold Ted accountable.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#182 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:00 am

Unless Beal has a come to Jesus moment this offseason, you have to move him. He has morphed into a no nonsense kind of player, into a preening, half-assed ****. Turnovers, missed open threes, ridiculous defensive lapses, the writing is on the wall. Beal has all the power and knows it, so he's decided he's going to play how he sees fit. Nobody is denying his talent, but when you decide you are bigger than the team, that you don't hold yourself accountable, then things are going to turn south.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,463

Post#183 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:00 am

Had to start fast forwarding midway through the third. Can’t watch a Scott Brooks coached team.

Neto getting torched. Sooo... let’s keep him in and double down on the midget lineup.

Offense consists of give the ball to Beal and watch/hope.

Ujiri save us, please!
In Rizzo we trust
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#184 » by keynote » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:01 am

Whoda thought that cornering the market on undersized perimeter players who can't shoot the three would have flamed out in the playoffs.

Good season, all.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,925

Post#185 » by Frichuela » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:01 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Unless Beal has a come to Jesus moment this offseason, you have to move him. He has morphed into a no nonsense kind of player, into a preening, half-assed ****. Turnovers, missed open threes, ridiculous defensive lapses, the writing is on the wall. Beal has all the power and knows it, so he's decided he's going to play how he sees fit. Nobody is denying his talent, but when you decide you are bigger than the team, that you don't hold yourself accountable, then things are going to turn south.

Agreed. Good points. Problem is Ted is not going to contemplate trading him…
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#186 » by TGW » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:06 am

Dark Faze wrote:This team would have been better off with not making the playoffs. This series has completely exposed how hopeless the future is with this core.

I’m glad we got “get back in the playoffs” checked off the list though so that terribly low bar gets raised higher for next year.

There's nothing worst than being an eighth seed IMO. There's absolutely no upside in getting trashed by a #1 seed.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:16 am

TGW wrote:

There's nothing worst than being an eighth seed IMO. There's absolutely no upside in getting trashed by a #1 seed.

Watch Indy win the draft... :nonono:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#188 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:16 am

What is the key fact? The key takeaway?

The Sixers won this series, because they are a better team than we are. No one on the Wizards squad has to hang their head, because we lost the series. &, yes, Brooks needs to go -- but not for losing this series.

When - against all odds - we made it to the playoffs, nate wrote, "Congratulations to our Washington Wizards." To me at least -- & I hope to all of you here -- that still holds. This was one hell of a season!

Now we need to have one hell of an off season.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#189 » by smoothSeph » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:18 am

TGW wrote:

Eh, we don't really need another project. Which is what we would draft in the 6-12 range. Getting guys like Rui and Gafford some playoff experience will help their development and we can still land a solid day 1 contributor at 15.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#190 » by WallToWall » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:19 am

Frichuela wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Unless Beal has a come to Jesus moment this offseason, you have to move him. He has morphed into a no nonsense kind of player, into a preening, half-assed ****. Turnovers, missed open threes, ridiculous defensive lapses, the writing is on the wall. Beal has all the power and knows it, so he's decided he's going to play how he sees fit. Nobody is denying his talent, but when you decide you are bigger than the team, that you don't hold yourself accountable, then things are going to turn south.

They traded Wall… and Wall was their marquee player. So, it is within the organization to trade Beal, or anyone.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#191 » by miller31time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:24 am

I just think what this organization could have been if, at 17-32, we went to a full-on rebuild and traded Beal.

We finish the season with Westbrook playing back into shape while the team still struggles. We sell high on Russ in the off-season and go into next season with a couple top-5 picks in a ridiculous draft and a team that is not constrained by a bloated cap. Brooks is gone and we finally have a chance to build something sustainable.

Instead, we went all-in on mediocrity and will only continue that short-sighted (#sowizards) approach for the foreseeable future.

Ugh, just so frustrated. And I don’t think Ted gives a crap.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#192 » by TGW » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:28 am

miller31time wrote:
Instead, we went all-in on mediocrity and will only continue that short-sighted (#sowizards) approach for the foreseeable future.

Ugh, just so frustrated. And I don’t think Ted gives a crap.

I think Glenn Consor saying that Brooks was "terrific" was a bit of foreshadowing, and I also believe that certain decisions have already been made and are just waiting to be announced.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,729

Post#193 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:48 am

Honestly I hope we do something like what they did in Boston, move brooks up to a front office role like vice gm or vp of basket ball opps or something, he's a good team guy but **** he can not get out of his own way on the side lines. But we clearly need a new HC.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#194 » by prime1time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:51 am

Thoughts like this are just ridiculous. I'm embarrassed just reading this. How long have you been a fan of the Wizards?
prime1time
Analyst

Post#195 » by prime1time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:01 am

Frichuela wrote:

What are the good points? If anyone in this organization deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to self-improvement it's Bradley Beal. Do you know how much the dude has improved??????? Like from where we drafted him to where he is now? When did Beal go from being the hard-working kid who has improved every year to
preening, half-assed ****. Turnovers, missed open threes, ridiculous defensive lapses,

It's just embarrassing. If Beal would have came in on day 1 and been this talented you'd have an argument. But he wasn't. He came in as a guy who was supposed to be a spot-up shooter. He literally worked hard and turned himself into one of the best scorers in the league. Why is it, that now we should tear him down? Could his defense be better? Yes. He needs to work on that. Like he worked on his ball-handling and finishing. There was a time when he couldn't even get to the rim, now he has to have a coming to Jesus moment? Are you serious? Like, at the very least, his constant improvement shows that he's very critical of himself and able to improve his game. Wizards fans show their true colors in losses. Always have and always will. That criticism went way beyond the pale imo.

Things like this make me embarassed to be a Wizards fan. I can count on one hand the amount of players that have improved as much during the course of their careers as Beal has. So to call him out like that is just ridiculous.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

And for the record, Beal, like he has since we drafted him from Florida, is still trying to get better.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#196 » by prime1time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:22 am

I'll come out and say it, we were better off losing to the 76ers and being humbled than tanking. Enough with the loser mindset. Our young players need to see what real basketball is like. Bryant, Hachimura, Avdija, Gafford. Tanking for a 25% chance at Cunningham or Green or Suggs or Mobley would have just supported the loser mindset that has pervaded this organization for over 30 years. The heart that they showed this year battling back from covid, injuries and setbacks was inspiring. The tenacity and the heart they showed for that last stretch to make the playoffs was the proudest I've been of this team for a long time.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's wishy-washy fans. I'd have more respect for the fans calling to tank if they came out and said they'd be fine with a 76ers esque rebuild in an era where lottery odds are even beneficial to tanking. Tank so we could have a 75% chance of ending up with Scottie Barnes or Davion Mitchell? What is the gap between the 6 best player in the draft and the 15th? Tanking or turning the Wizards into a professional organization that actually goes out and competes hard? Hmmm, tough decision. Wizards are much closer than we seem.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Beal is already committed to recruiting players and becoming an MVP caliber talent. When your #1 player is hungry and driven it permeates through the rest of the organization. I expect our young players to come back better than they were last year. Plus we'll have a first-round draft pick. Hachimura just went 9/15 from 3 in the playoffs. Was this experience not good for him? He made the biggest shot of his career last game? Gafford got to play valuable moments down the stretch. Beal got to be humbled. Everyone talks about becoming a winning team like it happens overnight. The truth is that most championship teams are built out of humbling moments like this and players coming back much hungrier than they were before. So no, I'm not a fan of tanking. You try your best and you play hard. Take the loss on the chin and come back better.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#197 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:26 am

prime1time wrote:

Thoughts like this are just ridiculous. I'm embarrassed just reading this. How long have you been a fan of the Wizards?

I guess we are not watching the same game. Beal has turned into a prima donna the second half of the season. Do you lot see him whining after anything he deems not going his way and the points it costs us? Do you not see him over dribbling into double and triple teams because they know they can bait him? Do you not see the lack of focus on defensive assignments?

I’ve been a staunch proponent of rebuilding around Beal but he’s turned me off by his play. He’s just no focused, and whether you want to say or not, it’s an issue.

I get it he’s finally in the limelight, good on him. But you need to be able to continue without letting it take over you. And it just seems that he’s let it take over him.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#198 » by Shoe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:26 am

gambitx777 wrote:Honestly I hope we do something like what they did in Boston, move brooks up to a front office role like vice gm or vp of basket ball opps or something, he's a good team guy but **** he can not get out of his own way on the side lines. But we clearly need a new HC.

He's gone. In no capacity will he be back. 5 years on he's still one of the highest paid coaches in the league. The Hornets coach Borrego makes $2 mil. Wizards are about to get a cheaper coach, maybe an international guy.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:28 am

prime1time wrote:

Also. I’ve been a fan for 20 years and on this forum for almost the same amount of time, just under a different user name. So save me the fandom dick measuring contest.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,729

Post#200 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:33 am

You're also correct. At this point an honest talk about who beal is needs to be had. He has value bit they way this team is built can you get 2 more high level guys on the team ... No. The cap is not in our favor and Russ as good as he can be isn't that guy I don't think. Duo star back courts don't have a ton of success unless they are both snipers. Neither of these guys are. I think it's time to move on too.
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
prime1time wrote:

Also. I’ve been a fan for 20 years and on this forum for almost the same amount of time, just under a different user name. So save me the fandom dick measuring contest.

Return to Washington Wizards