ImageImageImageImageImage

East 1st Round - Game #5: Bullets @ 76ers 7 PM (NBA TV/NBCSW/1500 AM)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

WILL A DOC RIVERS TEAM LOSE ANOTHER GAME UP 3-1?

YES
50%
NO
50%

Total votes: 12

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: East 1st Round - Game #5: Bullets @ 76ers 7 PM (NBA TV/NBCSW/1500 AM) 

Post#201 » by prime1time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:34 am

Dark Faze wrote:This team would have been better off with not making the playoffs. This series has completely exposed how hopeless the future is with this core.

I’m glad we got “get back in the playoffs” checked off the list though so that terribly low bar gets raised higher for next year.

It's not just about checking a box. The only time you can get an honest assessment of your team is when you make the playoffs. When you just coast in to the offseason, players have no clue how far the gap is between them and being a good team. When you just coast into the playoffs, players go into the offseason thinking about their improvement on an individual level. I.e. what should I do to make me a better player? What competing to make the playoffs and competing in the playoffs does is it forces players to substitute the I for us. No longer is my focus on just how can I help myself, now it's, how can I help the team.

Not only that, but because you have given everything that you have, you can now start the process of working on your flaws. Embiid destroyed us. But the truth is that the 76ers took their hits on the chin for how many seasons in the playoffs? Just exposing Rui, Avdija, Gafford, Bryant to the culture of a team trying competing all out makes it worth it for me. Gafford is 22, Rui is 23, Deni is 19, Bryant is 23. Now they know the gap between good teams and us.

I'm not trading that for a 25% chance at a top 4 pick (that would have required us to go all out with our tanking) or a top 10 pick (regular tanking). I mean, what's the difference in this draft between the guy who's going to go 10 or the guy who's going to go 15? Miniscule.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#202 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:44 am

You make some good points and I too enjoyed that we just ended up going for it instead of tanking mid season I fell like with the play in if you have a chance mid season go for it. What I think they did wrong was I think we should have moved Bertans if possible. At the dead line. Now here are my thoughts on the offseason. With out cap situation what really good player can we realisticly add. ? Even if Ted say ok go into the tax which he isn't going to do. Who? Damar D ain't coming cheap, neither is markenaen. We do not have the assets to trade for a guy on that level because our ounly cap balencing contracts are Bertans on a 4 years deal and Bryant coming of a blown out knee. Maybe wood is obtainable maybe, maybe you can move Bertans to get flexibility. But all that doesn't get you a chip. The fact is Russ is really good sometimes but not all the time and beal as good as he is can't do it alone, rui is growing well! But it might be time to see the writing on the wall and say ok this is as far as this teams gonna take us let's move on and rebuild around rui , deni and gaff. Now if the team out of loyalty to beal says we are gonna fight as long as he wants to be here we won't give up on him, then fine I'm on board with that too. But there needs to be an honest come to Jesus talk between Ted tommy and beal to figure it out.
prime1time wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:This team would have been better off with not making the playoffs. This series has completely exposed how hopeless the future is with this core.

I’m glad we got “get back in the playoffs” checked off the list though so that terribly low bar gets raised higher for next year.

It's not just about checking a box. The only time you can get an honest assessment of your team is when you make the playoffs. When you just coast in to the offseason, players have no clue how far the gap is between them and being a good team. When you just coast into the playoffs, players go into the offseason thinking about their improvement on an individual level. I.e. what should I do to make me a better player? What competing to make the playoffs and competing in the playoffs does is it forces players to substitute the I for us. No longer is my focus on just how can I help myself, now it's, how can I help the team.

Not only that, but because you have given everything that you have, you can now start the process of working on your flaws. Embiid destroyed us. But the truth is that the 76ers took their hits on the chin for how many seasons in the playoffs? Just exposing Rui, Avdija, Gafford, Bryant to the culture of a team trying competing all out makes it worth it for me. Gafford is 22, Rui is 23, Deni is 19, Bryant is 23. Now they know the gap between good teams and us.

I'm not trading that for a 25% chance at a top 4 pick (that would have required us to go all out with our tanking) or a top 10 pick (regular tanking). I mean, what's the difference in this draft between the guy who's going to go 10 or the guy who's going to go 15? Miniscule.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#203 » by prime1time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:57 am

gambitx777 wrote:You make some good points and I too enjoyed that we just ended up going for it instead of tanking mid season I fell like with the play in if you have a chance mid season go for it. What I think they did wrong was I think we should have moved Bertans if possible. At the dead line. Now here are my thoughts on the offseason. With out cap situation what really good player can we realisticly add. ? Even if Ted say ok go into the tax which he isn't going to do. Who? Damar D ain't coming cheap, neither is markenaen. We do not have the assets to trade for a guy on that level because our ounly cap balencing contracts are Bertans on a 4 years deal and Bryant coming of a blown out knee. Maybe wood is obtainable maybe, maybe you can move Bertans to get flexibility. But all that doesn't get you a chip. The fact is Russ is really good sometimes but not all the time and beal as good as he is can't do it alone, rui is growing well! But it might be time to see the writing on the wall and say ok this is as far as this teams gonna take us let's move on and rebuild around rui , deni and gaff. Now if the team out of loyalty to beal says we are gonna fight as long as he wants to be here we won't give up on him, then fine I'm on board with that too. But there needs to be an honest come to Jesus talk between Ted tommy and beal to figure it out.
prime1time wrote:

I don't know what we can do this offseason, but what I do know is that the Wizards are in the conversation. Anyone not named Beal is movable. Obviously, winning a championship with Beal would take something unexpected to happen. But that's just the NBA. People who talk about rebuilding and tanking are basically saying, let's put all our hopes on potentially drafting an all-time great player. The 76ers tanked for how many years? Where would they be if they got Wiggins or Parker instead of Embiid? 4 or 5 years ago the Nets were a doomed franchise. Now they are the best team in the league. 4 or 5 years ago, the Lakers were a joke. Last year they won a championship. Improve the roster, be competitive and then just hope that something unexpected happens.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#204 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:02 am

I’m with prime1time and pif. Give our guys props for competing and getting in the playoffs—and not adopting the loser mentality that some here seem to have. Let’s also value the experience and growing pains that youngins’ like Rui and Gafford went through by playing in the playoffs.

There’s no reason that this season can’t be a stepping stone to an even better team next season.

Instead of bitchin’ and moanin’ about what Beal is or is not, and complaining about not being in the lottery, let’s look forward to the return and development of Bryant and Deni, a first rd pick and, hopefully, the addition of a quality free agent or two.

Let’s also hope/pray that there’s a new coach.

Go Zards!
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#205 » by TGW » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:06 am

Lol at loser mentality. So “going all in” on the eighth seed and getting your ass embarrassed in the first round is not a loser mentality?

The just be happy gang will always be satisfied with mediocrity.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#206 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:07 am

I think people get tanking and rebuilding mixed up. I don't want to tank. That implies you are purposly trying to be bad for a few years to get ping pong balls.

I think if a team sees the writing on the wall and wants to gather assets for a rebuild. I'm fine with that, it is what it is. I'm on board for a rebuild if that's what we see is best but I'm not on board with tanking I always wanna see the team play hard and try to win, I always wanna see the team make moves to get better.
prime1time wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:You make some good points and I too enjoyed that we just ended up going for it instead of tanking mid season I fell like with the play in if you have a chance mid season go for it. What I think they did wrong was I think we should have moved Bertans if possible. At the dead line. Now here are my thoughts on the offseason. With out cap situation what really good player can we realisticly add. ? Even if Ted say ok go into the tax which he isn't going to do. Who? Damar D ain't coming cheap, neither is markenaen. We do not have the assets to trade for a guy on that level because our ounly cap balencing contracts are Bertans on a 4 years deal and Bryant coming of a blown out knee. Maybe wood is obtainable maybe, maybe you can move Bertans to get flexibility. But all that doesn't get you a chip. The fact is Russ is really good sometimes but not all the time and beal as good as he is can't do it alone, rui is growing well! But it might be time to see the writing on the wall and say ok this is as far as this teams gonna take us let's move on and rebuild around rui , deni and gaff. Now if the team out of loyalty to beal says we are gonna fight as long as he wants to be here we won't give up on him, then fine I'm on board with that too. But there needs to be an honest come to Jesus talk between Ted tommy and beal to figure it out.
prime1time wrote:It's not just about checking a box. The only time you can get an honest assessment of your team is when you make the playoffs. When you just coast in to the offseason, players have no clue how far the gap is between them and being a good team. When you just coast into the playoffs, players go into the offseason thinking about their improvement on an individual level. I.e. what should I do to make me a better player? What competing to make the playoffs and competing in the playoffs does is it forces players to substitute the I for us. No longer is my focus on just how can I help myself, now it's, how can I help the team.

I don't know what we can do this offseason, but what I do know is that the Wizards are in the conversation. Anyone not named Beal is movable. Obviously, winning a championship with Beal would take something unexpected to happen. But that's just the NBA. People who talk about rebuilding and tanking are basically saying, let's put all our hopes on potentially drafting an all-time great player. The 76ers tanked for how many years? Where would they be if they got Wiggins or Parker instead of Embiid? 4 or 5 years ago the Nets were a doomed franchise. Now they are the best team in the league. 4 or 5 years ago, the Lakers were a joke. Last year they won a championship. Improve the roster, be competitive and then just hope that something unexpected happens.

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#207 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:16 am

TGW wrote:Lol at loser mentality. So “going all in” on the eighth seed and getting your ass embarrassed in the first round is not a loser mentality?

That’s what worries you...being “embarrassed”? You’d prefer that the team quit and not make the playoffs in order to avoid being “embarrassed?” Really?

That’s the definition of a loser mentality.
Runner300
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#208 » by Runner300 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:40 am

From my perspective (European basketball), changing the game style would have a vast and immediate
effect on Wizards' game record, allowing them to rank higher, therefore facing an "easier" team in the playoffs,
advance further and closer to the championship goal.
That compared to rebuilding and "tanking" - a new term to me that I'm still trying to process.

Concentrate on teamwork, Wizards already have all the talent they need to make the playoffs every year.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#209 » by Illuminaire » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:48 am

DCZards wrote:
TGW wrote:Lol at loser mentality. So “going all in” on the eighth seed and getting your ass embarrassed in the first round is not a loser mentality?

That’s what worries you...being “embarrassed”? You’d prefer that the team quit and not make the playoffs in order to avoid being “embarrassed?” Really?

That’s the definition of a loser mentality.

He's saying that if that's all it takes to satisfy a fan, they don't care enough about winning.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#210 » by Shoe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:14 am

The Wizards had a torn achilles John Wall on a multi year supermax. The sad gang is delusional if they think this franchise should be in a much better position.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#211 » by likwitdesi » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:20 am

**** tanking for a pick. As a fan, I absolutely loved the way they fought back the second half of the season to, yes, get to the 8th seed. Partially because of COVID, I watched the most regular season games since the team with Paul Pierce.

Should the goal next year to be get to the 8th seed? Hell no.

The issue for this team is that Ernie basically gave so many of our assets away as either salary dumps, desperation moves or moving from bad assets. Not getting any long term value for Oubre, Morris, Gortat and Porter really hurt this team as 1st round picks were invested to acquire all those guys. In 2 years, Tommy has started to restock the cupboard with building blocks like Rui, Gafford, Bryant, Matthews and Deni. We will have another first round pick on the way and the MLE and BAE to use. Let's hope that we replace Brooks with someone like Atkinson, who can get the most out of these young guys.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#212 » by closg00 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:33 pm

TGW wrote:
miller31time wrote:
Instead, we went all-in on mediocrity and will only continue that short-sighted (#sowizards) approach for the foreseeable future.

Ugh, just so frustrated. And I don’t think Ted gives a crap.

I think Glenn Consor saying that Brooks was "terrific" was a bit of foreshadowing, and I also believe that certain decisions have already been made and are just waiting to be announced.

Censor being the Fox New to Ted's Donald Trump
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#213 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:42 pm

I think the game helped make certain things clear on what needs to be improved. I think we have part of a good core and really need to bolster the bench. Our backup guards are all journeymen, and we can't have 2 6' 180 lb guards limited players as our top backups. I love their effort and think all of them are great professionals, but they're simply not talented enough. We need personnel changes there. Our starting guards need to focus more on defense next season. We saw the lazy defensive plays by Beal even in the elimination game - which I thought was fundamentally disturbing about the team. Our young forward combo needs to stay healthy and improve on both ends - which will likely happen with experience and a better coaching staff. We need to be able to depend on Bertans being more consistent - assuming he's not traded - his offseason program needs to be monitored. Overall, our defense has to improve, and our 3 point shooting needs to improve. Obviously, we need to do well in the draft and use the cap exceptions wisely. I probably left other things out, but I think all of the things I mentioned are doable and can make us a significantly better team next season. First thing on the agenda is the coaching search. We saw what a difference Thibs made in NY. If we can find a similar type answer, that would check off item 1.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#214 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think the game helped make certain things clear on what needs to be improved. I think we have part of a good core and really need to bolster the bench. Our backup guards are all journeymen, and we can't have 2 6' 180 lb guards limited players as our top backups. I love their effort and think all of them are great professionals, but they're simply not talented enough. We need personnel changes there. Our starting guards need to focus more on defense next season. We saw the lazy defensive plays by Beal even in the elimination game - which I thought was fundamentally disturbing about the team. Our young forward combo needs to stay healthy and improve on both ends - which will likely happen with experience and a better coaching staff. We need to be able to depend on Bertans being more consistent - assuming he's not traded - his offseason program needs to be monitored. Overall, our defense has to improve, and our 3 point shooting needs to improve. Obviously, we need to do well in the draft and use the cap exceptions wisely. I probably left other things out, but I think all of the things I mentioned are doable and can make us a significantly better team next season. First thing on the agenda is the coaching search. We saw what a difference Thibs made in NY. If we can find a similar type answer, that would check off item 1.

Agreed. This team can get better. The most important thing is to find and/or develop some wing players with size. It's impossible to win a playoff series with Ish and Neto combining for 45 minutes a game, mostly at the SF position. If Deni can make a significant leap, it would help tremendously. And I really like the idea of closely monitoring Bertans' offseason regimen. That vegetarian diet isn't cutting it. He really needs some protein and muscle mass. You can't be paid $16M a year and not take your offseason lifting program seriously.

The biggest bright spot of the playoffs was the good play out of Hachimura. I don't expect him to shoot 60% from 3-point range going forward, but it's possible that his experience will motivate him to be a more willing and confident 3-point shooter. Maybe next year he shoots 4.5 3PA's per 36 at a 36% clip instead of the 2.7 attempts at 33% he shot this year. Having Rui as an actual floor stretcher rather than a reluctant shooter will help spacing a lot. He also rebounded about 20% better in the playoffs.

Finally, a new coach is necessary. On balance, it's pretty hard to say that Brooks was awful this season given the way the team played down the stretch, particularly defensively, but it's also pretty hard to say that Brooks was somehow an indispensable asset that we must retain. Brooks has been the coach for 5 years and has always hovered somewhere between average and bad. i don't hate him, but it's time to move on.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#215 » by Silvie Lysandra » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:38 pm

The fundamental problem is that we're massively overrating Beal (I certainly was). If you think that Beal is a top 15 player in the NBA, then tanking doesn't make sense, because you tank to get players like that, so there's no point if you already have that player. But what if you don't? What if, in reality, he's not that player, he's just more like top 30?. Then tanking makes more sense. At this moment, I think Beal is closer to top 50 than top 10.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#216 » by doclinkin » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:40 pm

DCZards wrote:I’m with prime1time and pif. Give our guys props for competing and getting in the playoffs—and not adopting the loser mentality that some here seem to have. Let’s also value the experience and growing pains that youngins’ like Rui and Gafford went through by playing in the playoffs.

There’s no reason that this season can’t be a stepping stone to an even better team next season.

Instead of bitchin’ and moanin’ about what Beal is or is not, and complaining about not being in the lottery, let’s look forward to the return and development of Bryant and Deni, a first rd pick and, hopefully, the addition of a quality free agent or two.

Let’s also hope/pray that there’s a new coach.

Go Zards!

You don't fault the players for trying to win, you fault the organization for squandering a chance to win a top pick in a loaded year, then come back stronger. Players are going to compete and it matters little to them to try to earn a chance at a guy who may take their minutes if not their job. An organization however has to take the long view, and use every resource they can to outperform their competition over the long haul. The only thing affected by the long haul in this late season run was whether or not Beal will re-sign with us. If he feels like this run was representative of the team's ability to compete, then hey maybe he chooses to re-new. If he sees the team got smoked in the post season and notices how significantly Philly re-tooled in one offseason under Morey, maybe he thinks the mom and pop method of Leonsis is not the way to go. So. Is this late season run symptomatic of a team likely to compete year after year?

Much of the rotation is coming up on free agency. Lopez, Ish Smith, Neto, Len all played significant roles, and are not signed after this year. They likely earned interest from other playoff contenders. It would likely be tough to re-ink all of them reasonably, and add more talent on top. It is hard to build on a model of success based on one year plug-ins. If you lock in a top 5 pick (as we were slated to do) then you can make the job of getting back to the playoffs easier year after year. However Ted's stated philosophy that "we will never ever tank" removes one of the weapons from the arsenal. Philly landed Embiid by a firm few years commitment to the suck. Drafting well at the top is one of the fastest ways to improve a team. If not always the most reliable. This team lost a chance to do that. No doubt there will be a good player available at 15, and perhaps better ones drafted even after 15. However, picking at the top gives you a larger pool of both good players and trade opportunities, either for more picks now and the future, or for a key player.

The Wizards as an organization chose to ride the improbable late season run, where teams like Toronto artfully massaged a tank despite good players. Teams like OKC and Cleveland are building a solid base of young talent, by committing fully to a tear-down and rebuild model. We are trying to have it all, and end up getting stuck year after year battling for the 9th seed. The fact that doing so is not punished as severely still does not make it sting less when we run smack into an actual contender and realize no matter how hard and and well this team fought, no matter how scrappy and valiant, they simply lack the depth, the talent, and the organizational foresight, to actually be a better team. Philly is a better team. Up and down the roster.

This late season run was fun to watch. The fans can celebrate that and the valiant efforts of an underdog team that fought tool and nail to dig out from the bottom. And they can still also see missed opportunities to get year after year. And take winning for granted instead of having to celebrate a late season surprise. I like these guys. It would be nice to build on this. Lets do this every year, yeah? Only for longer every year. And maybe actually not only make the playoffs but actually then win the last game we play, one of these years.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#217 » by dobrojim » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:59 pm

prime1time wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Pathetic performance in the second half. Not all on Brooks. Beal and Westbrook needed to lead this team and they disappeared when it mattered. They put up numbers, but they were hollow.

This. 100%. Beal’s performance on D has been pathetic

Beal's performance defensively hasn't been good but we need to stop perpetuating the myth that defense comes down to effort. THe 76ers always have shooting on the floor. Korkmaz, Curry, Green, Hill, Harris, Scott. They are diagrammed to be hard to stop. In situations like that effort matters, but only so much. You simply cannot have non-defenders on the floor like Neto and Ish, because you can't help. So simply saying that Beal's defensive efforts wasn't good implies that all that needs to be fixed is more effort. This isn't an effort issue. We need bigger, larger players who can both shoot 3's and guard in space

Also we didn't lose because of Beal's defense. We lost because we have rotational players who are absolute liabilities in space. In addition, we have lineups with no 3-point shooting. Give credit where credit is due. Doc Rivers put together a game-planned designed to beat us and his team implemented it to perfection. This is way bigger than playing good defense or bad defense. When a team has 3-point shooting, you need people who can defend in space. And when a team doesn't have 3-point shooters, you make them pay by packing the paint and overloading on their best scorers.

Everything you said plus the TOs. Especially live ball TOs. Of course the TOs
were a natural outcome of our schemes and personnel.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#218 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:38 pm

prime1time wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Unless Beal has a come to Jesus moment this offseason, you have to move him. He has morphed into a no nonsense kind of player, into a preening, half-assed ****. Turnovers, missed open threes, ridiculous defensive lapses, the writing is on the wall. Beal has all the power and knows it, so he's decided he's going to play how he sees fit. Nobody is denying his talent, but when you decide you are bigger than the team, that you don't hold yourself accountable, then things are going to turn south.

Thoughts like this are just ridiculous. I'm embarrassed just reading this. How long have you been a fan of the Wizards?

Agreed. Ridiculous & embarrassing.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#219 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:53 pm

TGW wrote:Lol at loser mentality. So “going all in” on the eighth seed and getting your ass embarrassed in the first round is not a loser mentality? ...

That's right. It's not.

Going all in just means playing your hardest & doing your best. These are competitive young men -- you don't get anywhere near a professional sports league if that's not who you are.

If you want to watch guys who don't give a sh#t whether they win or not -- I don't believe it. I don't believe you do.

TGW wrote:The just be happy gang will always be satisfied with mediocrity.

Nobody is "happy." But, if your reaction to these guys having worked their tails off to turn their season around is that they shouldn't have bothered...

...no, I don't believe that -- I don't believe that's what you think. My guess is that you are frustrated after years & years of little success. & why wouldn't you be? :)

But let's not take an axe to everything out of frustration, ok?

We're 2 years out from one of the biggest messes ever put together by a conceited ass of a GM. Things are a lot better than they were two years ago, that's for sure.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#220 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:54 pm

payitforward wrote:
prime1time wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Unless Beal has a come to Jesus moment this offseason, you have to move him. He has morphed into a no nonsense kind of player, into a preening, half-assed ****. Turnovers, missed open threes, ridiculous defensive lapses, the writing is on the wall. Beal has all the power and knows it, so he's decided he's going to play how he sees fit. Nobody is denying his talent, but when you decide you are bigger than the team, that you don't hold yourself accountable, then things are going to turn south.

Thoughts like this are just ridiculous. I'm embarrassed just reading this. How long have you been a fan of the Wizards?

Agreed. Ridiculous & embarrassing.

I actually thought Beal was quite good in the playoffs given the circumstances. He averaged 30 points per game on a TS% of .540 while being constantly double-teamed by the best defense in the league. Among his teammates who could actually create a shot on their own, they shot the following TS%:

Westbroook .462
Neto .442
Ish .395

All Philly did was double off of those guys while packing the paint to prevent easy FGA's from Gafford, Lopez and Hachimura. The only hope was Bertans having a good game to help Beal out. Bertans had two awful games and missed a game. Of the two good games he had, we won one, and the other was a close loss. The Wizards shot at TS% of .543 as a team, so it's not like Beal's relatively low TS% was bringing the team down.

I've got nothing bad to say about Beal's production. The dude showed up and did all he could. The fact is, he's not Lebron or KD. It's asking a heck of a lot for a 6-4 shooting guard to be the only guy to carry an offense.

Return to Washington Wizards