ImageImageImageImageImage

The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Did the Warriors front office fail Curry this year?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 45

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development 

Post#1 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:38 pm

The front office didn't have enough faith in Curry to have an mvp season.

When Klay went down their entire focus shifted to this being a developmental year as said by Kerr on TK's podcast. Winning just wasn't the priority as stated by Kerr constantly throughout the season. Has there ever been a top 5 player where the team decided to punt the season while that player was playing? It's kind of crazy to have a top 15 player of all time and during one of their prime years to have a developmental year. Like Kobe had a few gap years during his prime but they still revolved the offense around him were still trying to win games. I just can't believe there was so much talk about how winning wasn't a priority.

Updating title for clarification
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: The Front Office failed Curry this year 

Post#2 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:44 pm

There really was no alternative. You have to play the hand you’re dealt. The only big named that moved was Harden

Meanwhile the FO payed almost 80mil for Kelly Oubre and we’re supposed to be mad that they tried to develop their #2 overall pick? Nah not me.. I disagree with them plenty but this one rings hollow to me. If anything I would have them rather rested Curry more often and tried to win even less
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#3 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:58 pm

Maybe the front office should have forced free agents to sign with the warriors? Klay going down derailed the season and there isn’t much you can do when a max salary doesn’t play.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#4 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:00 pm

Coaching failed more than front office.
Kerr insisting on starting a 19 year old with not even one year of college was just stupid.
Warriors could have easily been the 4 or 5 seed without that experiment.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#5 » by marthafokker » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:03 pm

The only sad part with management is keeping Oubre. He was the only tradable chip and wasted it away.

If the Dinwiddie offer was real, I would have taken it. At least it's a useful-ish warm body with a tradable contract. Not a UFA wasted away for nothing.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Onus
RealGM

Post#6 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:03 pm

FNQ wrote:There really was no alternative. You have to play the hand you’re dealt. The only big named that moved was Harden

Meanwhile the FO payed almost 80mil for Kelly Oubre and we’re supposed to be mad that they tried to develop their #2 overall pick? Nah not me.. I disagree with them plenty but this one rings hollow to me. If anything I would have them rather rested Curry more often and tried to win even less

Really i didn't realize you were on the tank side.

I agree they tried with Oubre even though obviously it wasn't going to work. And then they even refused to put him in the spot that was most likely for him which would be off the bench for next year. So where is the follow through with playing for next year. I thought he was fine off the bench but the insisted on keeping him as a starter, which was odd to me.

I think what bugs me the most is that they decided to start Wiseman off the bat. They continued to try to run offense through him when it was clear he wasn't ready for that. I had the idea they would bring him along slowly, set screens, rebound, and play defense. Things he should be doing if they expect him to fit into the starting 5 with Klay. Instead they wanted to run offense through him which is like 5 years down the road rather than next year.

The development path they chose just didn't seem like they were playing for next year, but that they were playing for Curry's decline which hopefully is years down the road. That's my problem with the route they chose.
Onus
RealGM

Post#7 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:04 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Coaching failed more than front office.
Kerr insisting on starting a 19 year old with not even one year of college was just stupid.

I think this was part of the front office decision not just kerr
Onus
RealGM

Post#8 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:05 pm

marthafokker wrote:The only sad part with management is keeping Oubre. He was the only tradable chip and wasted it away.

If the Dinwiddie offer was real, I would have taken it. At least it's a useful-ish warm body with a tradable contract. Not a UFA wasted away for nothing.

I do feel like they will most likely waste Oubre and will have paid 80m for nothing. Hopefully they can salvage something.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#9 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:24 pm

marthafokker wrote:The only sad part with management is keeping Oubre. He was the only tradable chip and wasted it away.

Dinwiddie was out for the season and has a player option for next year that he will decline making him a UFA.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#10 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:34 pm

Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:There really was no alternative. You have to play the hand you’re dealt. The only big named that moved was Harden

I agree they tried with Oubre even though obviously it wasn't going to work. And then they even refused to put him in the spot that was most likely for him which would be off the bench for next year. So where is the follow through with playing for next year. I thought he was fine off the bench but the insisted on keeping him as a starter, which was odd to me.

I think what bugs me the most is that they decided to start Wiseman off the bat. They continued to try to run offense through him when it was clear he wasn't ready for that. I had the idea they would bring him along slowly, set screens, rebound, and play defense. Things he should be doing if they expect him to fit into the starting 5 with Klay. Instead they wanted to run offense through him which is like 5 years down the road rather than next year.

The development path they chose just didn't seem like they were playing for next year, but that they were playing for Curry's decline which hopefully is years down the road. That's my problem with the route they chose.

Wasn’t necessarily pro-tank, but if the two options are try hard to win or tank, I’d lean towards tank. Most of the time I’m neutral - let the chips fall as they may.

They didn’t know what they had in Wiseman. He had minimal practice time, and the W’s already knew that Looney wasn’t the answer at C.. Chriss goes down for the year.. it checks out logically. Wiseman just wasn’t ready and was ultimately benched. I don’t really see the issue with it, it’s the smart thing to do. This year was never going to be a title season without Klay, so why not?
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#11 » by Mob Byers » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:38 pm

This year ended up working out fine given all the circumstances. Odds are we have 2 lotto picks and a TPMLE to add/upgrade depth. Eventual addition of Klay coming back. Possible Kelly Oubre re-signing or TPE.

I think this next year is the year to look back and say “Okay did Bob Myers fail Steph here?”.
Onus
RealGM

Post#12 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:43 pm

FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:

Wasn’t necessarily pro-tank, but if the two options are try hard to win or tank, I’d lean towards tank. Most of the time I’m neutral - let the chips fall as they may.

They didn’t know what they had in Wiseman. He had minimal practice time, and the W’s already knew that Looney wasn’t the answer at C.. Chriss goes down for the year.. it checks out logically. Wiseman just wasn’t ready and was ultimately benched. I don’t really see the issue with it, it’s the smart thing to do. This year was never going to be a title season without Klay, so why not?

Because you have a top 15 player of all time playing in his prime.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#13 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:44 pm

Onus wrote:The front office didn't have enough faith in Curry to have an mvp season.

When Klay went down their entire focus shifted to this being a developmental year as said by Kerr on TK's podcast. Winning just wasn't the priority as stated by Kerr constantly throughout the season. Has there ever been a top 5 player where the team decided to punt the season while that player was playing? It's kind of crazy to have a top 15 player of all time and during one of their prime years to have a developmental year. Like Kobe had a few gap years during his prime but they still revolved the offense around him were still trying to win games. I just can't believe there was so much talk about how winning wasn't a priority.

When Klay went down they spent a lot of money to sign Oubre--just because it didn't work out the way they wanted, doesn't mean they "punted" on the season. On the contrary, it showed the opposite.

And Kerr didn't say "constantly" that that winning wasn't a priority, that's just untrue. He said once that he wouldn't play Curry 40 minutes a night to scrounge a few extra wins, and agenda-driven posters have been using that ever since to "prove" that Kerr didn't want to win this year.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#14 » by marthafokker » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:45 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

Dinwiddie was out for the season and has a player option for next year that he will decline making him a UFA.

It seemed like Myers love Oubre too much.

Asked for a Nets 2nd, nothing was reported Dubbs other than Myers said no. Still better than getting nothing even with a 2nd.

And also worth to see if he will op out or not. He is not KD, most would not opt out of contract coming out of a major injury. Not everyone recovers like KD. Just look at Oladpio. And GMs not stupid (enough) to sign an average player for maga money not named KD, coming back from a major injury.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Onus
RealGM

Post#15 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:58 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Onus wrote:The front office didn't have enough faith in Curry to have an mvp season.

When Klay went down they spent a lot of money to sign Oubre--just because it didn't work out the way they wanted, doesn't mean they "punted" on the season. On the contrary, it showed the opposite.

And Kerr didn't say "constantly" that that winning wasn't a priority, that's just untrue. He said once that he wouldn't play Curry 40 minutes a night to scrounge a few extra wins, and agenda-driven posters have been using that ever since to "prove" that Kerr didn't want to win this year.

He also said that if he wanted to win he wouldn't be playing the starting lineup. This is 3x in 1 year where the head coach said winning wasn't the top priority. You can disregard them and contextualize them away if you want but there was a clear directive that winning wasn't the top priority and the head coach admitted it 3x.

I really don't even care so much about the signing and the players that's a separate issue. The issue is that winning wasn't the priority and it must have been talked about so much that the head coach said so 3 separate times in 1 year. That's my issue that they didn't prioritize winning while having a top 15 player of all time.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#16 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:13 pm

4-5 seed and they lose their draft pick. They didn't WANT a top 5 seed.

I was against Wiseman starting all during the lead up to the season. I assumed he got that spot because he was doing well enough in practice and that the time with the other starters would help his development. Chriss getting hurt certainly messed up the rotation and probably pushed even more minutes Wiseman's way.

All that said, Kerr and Wiseman and the Warriors were really in a no-win situation with all the injuries.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:40 pm

They failed Curry by not playing him 40+ minutes a night so they could (maybe) get a few extra wins. Poor Curry. Fire everyone.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#18 » by weekend_warrior » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:41 pm

The only realistic way for the Warriors to compete this year would have been to attach all our future assets to the hugely negative contract of Klay and try to get enough pieces back to hopefully fit the team and help immediately.

I am absolutely fine they didn't do that. So is probably Steph.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#19 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:59 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

I was against Wiseman starting all during the lead up to the season. I assumed he got that spot because he was doing well enough in practice and that the time with the other starters would help his development. Chriss getting hurt certainly messed up the rotation and probably pushed even more minutes Wiseman's way.

All that said, Kerr and Wiseman and the Warriors were really in a no-win situation with all the injuries.

When you get past the fan disappointment, they almost exactly threaded the needle they kept talking about. They were competitive enough to show the league that Steph is still that dude and a guy you want to play with if you want to win, check. We kept our own pick, check. We actually DID develop some talent this year in Poole, discovering JTA And YES, starting to teach a 19 year old big man how to play grown up basketball. Wiseman was playing notably better right before his final injury and light bulbs were clearly going on, and JW's reaction speed in particular was catching up to the NBA game. There were clearly missteps and clearly unfortunate circumstances along the way, but JW ended his season playing his best ball of the season. That is actually development even if not pretty and neat in the fan fantasy world that doesn't actually exists.

Behind closed doors, given the circumstances they probably feel like the team is in exactly the position they realistically proposed they would be in heading into this summer, other than JW not being available for camp.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Onus
RealGM

Post#20 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:44 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

When you get past the fan disappointment, they almost exactly threaded the needle they kept talking about. They were competitive enough to show the league that Steph is still that dude and a guy you want to play with if you want to win, check. We kept our own pick, check. We actually DID develop some talent this year in Poole, discovering JTA And YES, starting to teach a 19 year old big man how to play grown up basketball. Wiseman was playing notably better right before his final injury and light bulbs were clearly going on, and JW's reaction speed in particular was catching up to the NBA game. There were clearly missteps and clearly unfortunate circumstances along the way, but JW ended his season playing his best ball of the season. That is actually development even if not pretty and neat in the fan fantasy world that doesn't actually exists.

Behind closed doors, given the circumstances they probably feel like the team is in exactly the position they realistically proposed they would be in heading into this summer, other than JW not being available for camp.

I can agree with this. They almost threaded the needle exactly how they wanted it to play out. Other than the fact not making the playoffs. It's not the worst thing in the world.

But again when you have a top 15 player ever and you're not prioritizing winning while he's in his prime, is that really what you want to portray as a franchise?

Return to Golden State Warriors