ImageImageImageImageImage

The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Did the Warriors front office fail Curry this year?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 45

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Re: The Front Office failed Curry this year 

Post#21 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:54 pm

Onus wrote:But again when you have a top 15 player ever and you're not prioritizing winning while he's in his prime, is that really what you want to portray as a franchise?

Who says they aren't prioritizing winning by keeping their chips in play until a difference making player is actually made available instead of cashing things in for whatever mediocre talent changed hands this season. Did I miss the stud traded that we could have acquired by the deadline with our available salary pieces?

What was the winning move that didn't get made here? Oubre for an empty locker?

Pursuing a championship during Curry's window did not necessarily mean 6th seed in 2021 or bust. That quite likely might have been hustling backwards. We don't know yet what opportunities are going to open up this offseason/deadline
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#22 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:03 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Onus wrote:But again when you have a top 15 player ever and you're not prioritizing winning while he's in his prime, is that really what you want to portray as a franchise?

Who says they aren't prioritizing winning by keeping their chips in play until a difference making player is actually made available instead of cashing things in for whatever mediocre talent changed hands this season. Did I miss the stud traded that we could have acquired by the deadline with our available salary pieces?

What was the winning move that didn't get made here? Oubre for an empty locker?

It's not about the moves or non moves or signings or non signings. It's about the mentality of the franchise from the top down. The fact they were developing players is fine, you can do that. We did that for the most part with Wiggins, JTA, Poole. But for this to come up constantly and from your head coach means it was talked about a lot behind closed doors and it was a deliberate decision. Like why are we trying to change the offense away from a curry centric offense while in the middle of curry's prime? Why are we taking the ball out of his hands to develop Wiseman, who's role should be to just rebound, set screens and play defense until he's ready. Like let's be honest that's what his role should be the next few years until Curry is no longer Curry. He should be playing like Deandre Ayton and not Joel Embiid.

But to me it's just the mindset of the franchise and the non belief in Curry. I believe in Kerr's interview he also said that no one knew Curry would have a season like this.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#23 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:15 pm

Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:Really i didn't realize you were on the tank side.

I agree they tried with Oubre even though obviously it wasn't going to work. And then they even refused to put him in the spot that was most likely for him which would be off the bench for next year. So where is the follow through with playing for next year. I thought he was fine off the bench but the insisted on keeping him as a starter, which was odd to me.

I think what bugs me the most is that they decided to start Wiseman off the bat. They continued to try to run offense through him when it was clear he wasn't ready for that. I had the idea they would bring him along slowly, set screens, rebound, and play defense. Things he should be doing if they expect him to fit into the starting 5 with Klay. Instead they wanted to run offense through him which is like 5 years down the road rather than next year.

The development path they chose just didn't seem like they were playing for next year, but that they were playing for Curry's decline which hopefully is years down the road. That's my problem with the route they chose.

Wasn’t necessarily pro-tank, but if the two options are try hard to win or tank, I’d lean towards tank. Most of the time I’m neutral - let the chips fall as they may.

They didn’t know what they had in Wiseman. He had minimal practice time, and the W’s already knew that Looney wasn’t the answer at C.. Chriss goes down for the year.. it checks out logically. Wiseman just wasn’t ready and was ultimately benched. I don’t really see the issue with it, it’s the smart thing to do. This year was never going to be a title season without Klay, so why not?

Because you have a top 15 player of all time playing in his prime.

I dont think thats a good reason to push for something you know isnt achievable, when you can improve in the next 2-3 seasons when it actually could be
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#24 » by killmongrel » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:24 pm

It's what they do this summer that counts.
Onus
RealGM

Post#25 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:24 pm

FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Wasn’t necessarily pro-tank, but if the two options are try hard to win or tank, I’d lean towards tank. Most of the time I’m neutral - let the chips fall as they may.

They didn’t know what they had in Wiseman. He had minimal practice time, and the W’s already knew that Looney wasn’t the answer at C.. Chriss goes down for the year.. it checks out logically. Wiseman just wasn’t ready and was ultimately benched. I don’t really see the issue with it, it’s the smart thing to do. This year was never going to be a title season without Klay, so why not?

Because you have a top 15 player of all time playing in his prime.

I dont think thats a good reason to push for something you know isnt achievable, when you can improve in the next 2-3 seasons when it actually could be

I think that's my issue with it, that they wrote it off as if it's impossible and it probably is improbable, but we didn't even give Curry a chance to see what he could do. That's the failure.

They had no issues with benching Poole at the beginning of the year even though he was the supposed best player in the dubble. Made massive strides and doing well in practices and was in the gym constantly in the off-season. Like why not do that with Wiseman? Why not give him an actual role that he would be playing next year. Why not give Oubre a role that he would actually play next year. It just seemed so inconsistent in their development.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#26 » by and1GS » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:27 pm

I think we swung and missed on basically every FA acquisition this offseason, but that's not saying much as we didn't really have a ton of options or assets to work with.

We got lucky with Poole's development, but I don't think you can say the FO failed anyone this season. We were too slow to integrate Poole/JTA, probably should have shipped Oubre for literally anything and should have better managed Wiseman's development. However I don't really look at any of that and say 'if we got it all right, we're a homecourt team.'

I think Klay's injury and a rigid top heavy roster failed Curry this year. Being built the way we are, if our top 4 get hurt, we're done against better teams. Same as Brooklyn.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#27 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:37 pm

Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:Because you have a top 15 player of all time playing in his prime.

I think that's my issue with it, that they wrote it off as if it's impossible and it probably is improbable, but we didn't even give Curry a chance to see what he could do. That's the failure.

They had no issues with benching Poole at the beginning of the year even though he was the supposed best player in the dubble. Made massive strides and doing well in practices and was in the gym constantly in the off-season. Like why not do that with Wiseman? Why not give him an actual role that he would be playing next year. Why not give Oubre a role that he would actually play next year. It just seemed so inconsistent in their development.

I dont disagree, I just dont think I'd call it a failure. They could have done better sure, but Im not sure how this season really could have been a failure after the Klay injury. I think this season was lukewarm: the Oubre trade wasn't horrible in that it used a TE and gave us a preview of what he could be here, Poole showed big improvement, Wiggins looks like someone we'd like to keep, Looney stayed healthy and was effective, JTA is a find.. but then the downside: got nothing for Oubre at the deadline, Wiseman was way more raw than they thought, we gave significant roles to players we may not bring back (Mulder, Bazemore, Oubre) while icing out guys who likely will be on the roster next year (Paschall, Mannion, Lee)

Now this next offseason? I think there's a million ways they can fail Curry.. we'll see. But this is the most pivotal offseason we've had since we signed KD. Will they meet the moment? Who knows.. they have before, so there's reason to be optimistic, but they've also made moves recently that should make some pessimistic
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#28 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:44 pm

They tried. The front office just didn’t make decisions for a productive season this year. That’s concerning because it will be the same front office this coming year.

The thing was they only showed modest improvement year over year. They don’t look like they are growing significantly. Eventually the stars will fade away so I think the window is close to over.

At this point it will be a celebration tour with the front office playing fantasy basketball.
Onus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:46 pm

FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I dont disagree, I just dont think I'd call it a failure. They could have done better sure, but Im not sure how this season really could have been a failure after the Klay injury. I think this season was lukewarm: the Oubre trade wasn't horrible in that it used a TE and gave us a preview of what he could be here, Poole showed big improvement, Wiggins looks like someone we'd like to keep, Looney stayed healthy and was effective, JTA is a find.. but then the downside: got nothing for Oubre at the deadline, Wiseman was way more raw than they thought, we gave significant roles to players we may not bring back (Mulder, Bazemore, Oubre) while icing out guys who likely will be on the roster next year (Paschall, Mannion, Lee)

Now this next offseason? I think there's a million ways they can fail Curry.. we'll see. But this is the most pivotal offseason we've had since we signed KD. Will they meet the moment? Who knows.. they have before, so there's reason to be optimistic, but they've also made moves recently that should make some pessimistic

I agree. I don't think the season was a failure. I think we learned something about Wiggins, able to develop him Poole, JTA as rotational pieces. Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Looney/Poole/JTA is a solid rotation going forward. We were able to keep our 1st as a trade asset and played some meaningful games down the stretch. The only failures was for Steph not being in the playoffs, not getting the young guys that experience (including Wiggins), and not giving Curry the platform to see what he's capable of.

For the Warriors as a franchise it wasn't a bad year. For Steph looking back on it in history it'll probably be a blackmark, which will need to be contextualized and which it won't be.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#30 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:55 pm

Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:I think that's my issue with it, that they wrote it off as if it's impossible and it probably is improbable, but we didn't even give Curry a chance to see what he could do. That's the failure.

I agree. I don't think the season was a failure. I think we learned something about Wiggins, able to develop him Poole, JTA as rotational pieces. Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Looney/Poole/JTA is a solid rotation going forward. We were able to keep our 1st as a trade asset and played some meaningful games down the stretch. The only failures was for Steph not being in the playoffs, not getting the young guys that experience (including Wiggins), and not giving Curry the platform to see what he's capable of.

For the Warriors as a franchise it wasn't a bad year. For Steph looking back on it in history it'll probably be a blackmark, which will need to be contextualized and which it won't be.

You think people will look back and view it as a blackmark that Curry led the league in scoring, was a finalist for MVP, and took an injury ridden rag tag bunch of questionable players and nearly dragged them into the playoffs? I guess because you think people will choose to ignore all that and just say Curry didn't win a championship? Just think what they'll say about LeBron, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, etc. etc. who also won't win championships.

This board is truly miserable so much of the time.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Onus
RealGM

Post#31 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:04 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:

You think people will look back and view it as a blackmark that Curry led the league in scoring, was a finalist for MVP, and took an injury ridden rag tag bunch of questionable players and nearly dragged them into the playoffs? I guess because you think people will choose to ignore all that and just say Curry didn't win a championship? Just think what they'll say about LeBron, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, etc. etc. who also won't win championships.

Yea I do especially the casual basketball fans. Like as much as you can contextualize why it happened, it happened and it's going to come up.

Was a finalist for MVP. Which means if we were actually the 4th or 5th seed he'd probably be the actual mvp, which would be his 3rd mvp which would be huge for his legacy. So yes it seems like you agree that the Warriors failed Curry as well.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#32 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:07 pm

Onus wrote:
Onus wrote:I agree. I don't think the season was a failure. I think we learned something about Wiggins, able to develop him Poole, JTA as rotational pieces. Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Looney/Poole/JTA is a solid rotation going forward. We were able to keep our 1st as a trade asset and played some meaningful games down the stretch. The only failures was for Steph not being in the playoffs, not getting the young guys that experience (including Wiggins), and not giving Curry the platform to see what he's capable of.

Yea I do especially the casual basketball fans. Like as much as you can contextualize why it happened, it happened and it's going to come up.

Was a finalist for MVP. Which means if we were actually the 4th or 5th seed he'd probably be the actual mvp, which would be his 3rd mvp which would be huge for his legacy. So yes it seems like you agree that the Warriors failed Curry as well.

I don't at all. I think this entire discussion is asinine. I will resist saying more so I don't end up having to suspend myself.

Onus
RealGM

Post#33 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:17 pm

Onus wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:You think people will look back and view it as a blackmark that Curry led the league in scoring, was a finalist for MVP, and took an injury ridden rag tag bunch of questionable players and nearly dragged them into the playoffs? I guess because you think people will choose to ignore all that and just say Curry didn't win a championship? Just think what they'll say about LeBron, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, etc. etc. who also won't win championships.

I don't at all. I think this entire discussion is asinine. I will resist saying more so I don't end up having to suspend myself.

So you think it's ok we didn't give curry a chance at getting the mvp award? You think it's ok we didn't try to win games at the beginning of the season which ended up not letting Curry be a part of the playoffs? Those things matter in a historical context.

For some this is an asinine topic because it really doesn't matter for the Warriors. It's very specific towards a single player and his standing in history, which is what it is. But there's a whole forum dedicated to player comparisons where they do player rankings every year. So for these discussions these things matter.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#34 » by Chupchup » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:28 pm

Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
4-5 seed and they lose their draft pick. They didn't WANT a top 5 seed.

I was against Wiseman starting all during the lead up to the season. I assumed he got that spot because he was doing well enough in practice and that the time with the other starters would help his development. Chriss getting hurt certainly messed up the rotation and probably pushed even more minutes Wiseman's way.

All that said, Kerr and Wiseman and the Warriors were really in a no-win situation with all the injuries.

When you get past the fan disappointment, they almost exactly threaded the needle they kept talking about. They were competitive enough to show the league that Steph is still that dude and a guy you want to play with if you want to win, check. We kept our own pick, check. We actually DID develop some talent this year in Poole, discovering JTA And YES, starting to teach a 19 year old big man how to play grown up basketball. Wiseman was playing notably better right before his final injury and light bulbs were clearly going on, and JW's reaction speed in particular was catching up to the NBA game. There were clearly missteps and clearly unfortunate circumstances along the way, but JW ended his season playing his best ball of the season. That is actually development even if not pretty and neat in the fan fantasy world that doesn't actually exists.

Behind closed doors, given the circumstances they probably feel like the team is in exactly the position they realistically proposed they would be in heading into this summer, other than JW not being available for camp.

I can agree with this. They almost threaded the needle exactly how they wanted it to play out. Other than the fact not making the playoffs. It's not the worst thing in the world.

But again when you have a top 15 player ever and you're not prioritizing winning while he's in his prime, is that really what you want to portray as a franchise?

People are reading the question if the FO failed the Warriors vs if the FO Failed Curry. Those two are two different questions.

The FO definitely failed Curry. They built a bench with too much youth. Not enough size. Not enough vets. Had a mandate to win AND develop their younger players. They force fed Wiseman when he honestly wasn't ready. You could tell that wasn't the Warriors offense. Wiseman goes down and boom Warriors go back to running the old Warriors offense.

It's up to the FO to try to upgrade at trade deadline. They stood pat and we ran out of usable bodies come play in time. Meyers himself admitted that we needed more vets but said we missed out on a few in the beginning of the season.

Not giving up assets is good for the non believers but each season with Curry is really important. Who's to say we don't beat the Lakers or Memphis and give Suns or Utah a run for their money. I think the Sun's were beatable. Especially so with CP3 hurt. It wouldn't be unheard of for us to beat the Suns and then beat Utah too.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#35 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:40 pm

Onus wrote:
Onus wrote:Yea I do especially the casual basketball fans. Like as much as you can contextualize why it happened, it happened and it's going to come up.

So you think it's ok we didn't give curry a chance at getting the mvp award? You think it's ok we didn't try to win games at the beginning of the season which ended up not letting Curry be a part of the playoffs? Those things matter in a historical context.

For some this is an asinine topic because it really doesn't matter for the Warriors. It's very specific towards a single player and his standing in history, which is what it is. But there's a whole forum dedicated to player comparisons where they do player rankings every year. So for these discussions these things matter.

Please stop posting melodramatic nonsense and attributing it to me.

"So you think it is ok we didn't give curry a chance at getting the mvp award?"
He's a finalist, ffs. Only 3 people in the league have a chance at getting it, and he's one. So now who isn't having faith in him? Your theory seems to be that we should have tried to make the team better so we'd be a 5 or 6 seed instead of a play-in team, because that would have improved his odds. But presumably don't trade for anyone *too* good, because that might undermine his efforts to be MVP.

"You think it's ok we didn't try to win games at the beginning of the season"
Nonsense. We did try to win games, every night. We just didn't *only* care about winning games. If we did, we would have played Curry 40+ minutes a night every night. And that would have been stupid.

"So for these discussions these things matter"
These things matter to armchair analysts who want to have overly simplistic stupid debates on message boards. And Colin Cowherd and Screamin' A. Smith. I'm really glad our team doesn't use that as the motivating factor when making decisions. Do I care about Curry? Yes. Do I care about Curry at the expense of everything else? Absolutely not. Part of why I like Curry is that he's a team first guy. I wish he had a RealGM burner account to chime in on this foolishness. If you honestly think Curry would have wanted to mortgage any potential future wins to try to be a 6 seed instead of a play-in team, I don't know what to tell you.

And now I really am done with this.

Onus
RealGM

Post#36 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:46 pm

"So you think it is ok we didn't give curry a chance at getting the mvp award?"
He's a finalist, ffs. Only 3 people in the league have a chance at getting it, and he's one. So now who isn't having faith in him? Your theory seems to be that we should have tried to make the team better so we'd be a 5 or 6 seed instead of a play-in team, because that would have improved his odds. But presumably don't trade for anyone *too* good, because that might undermine his efforts to be MVP.

I keep saying it's not about who we got and didn't get. I'm saying it's the mentality of the team that this was a throw away year. I fully believe if we had tried to win games from the beginning with the exact same team we're a top 6 seed this season.
"You think it's ok we didn't try to win games at the beginning of the season"
Nonsense. We did try to win games, every night. We just didn't *only* care about winning games. If we did, we would have played Curry 40+ minutes a night every night. And that would have been stupid.

So now we're playing extremes. We definitely needed Curry to play 48 minutes every single night even in the blow outs. /s
Come on man, if you weren't invested in the discussion why jump in midway and say something snarky if you aren't even bothering with the discussion.
"So for these discussions these things matter"
These things matter to armchair analysts who want to have overly simplistic stupid debates on message boards. And Colin Cowherd and Screamin' A. Smith. I'm really glad our team doesn't use that as the motivating factor when making decisions. Do I care about Curry? Yes. Do I care about Curry at the expense of everything else? Absolutely not. Part of why I like Curry is that he's a team first guy. I wish he had a RealGM burner account to chime in on this foolishness. If you honestly think Curry would have wanted to mortgage any potential future wins to try to be a 6 seed instead of a play-in team, I don't know what to tell you.

Again I agree. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. This is something very specific that doesn't cater to the masses. I can almost guarantee Curry doesn't care about it, though he probably did want to make the playoffs. Just maybe ... But just because Curry doesn't care about his legacy doesn't mean it doesn't get attributed to his legacy.

How is any of this talking about mortgaging any potential future wins? It seems like you had some preconceived notions about what this is about when in fact it has nothing to do with what you think it is.
Chupchup
Junior

Post#37 » by Chupchup » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:24 pm

Also with the way we were playing at the end of the Season. We had a decent shot against ANY team in the West. Lakers are out. Clippers might be out tonight. Jamal Murray is out. CP3 is Hurt. The Warriors would have been very competitive in the playoffs. It should have be been the top priority to get back into the playoffs for the Warriors and not try to focus on developing the young guys.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#38 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:34 pm

Chupchup wrote:Also with the way we were playing at the end of the Season. We had a decent shot against ANY team in the West. Lakers are out. Clippers might be out tonight. Jamal Murray is out. CP3 is Hurt. The Warriors would have been very competitive in the playoffs. It should have be been the top priority to get back into the playoffs for the Warriors and not try to focus on developing the young guys.

The way they were playing at the end of the season was that they gave away their playoff chance by not winning one of two very winnable games. Especially the Laker game, which they gifted them with an atrocious third quarter.
Chupchup
Junior

Post#39 » by Chupchup » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:49 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Chupchup wrote:Also with the way we were playing at the end of the Season. We had a decent shot against ANY team in the West. Lakers are out. Clippers might be out tonight. Jamal Murray is out. CP3 is Hurt. The Warriors would have been very competitive in the playoffs. It should have be been the top priority to get back into the playoffs for the Warriors and not try to focus on developing the young guys.

The way they were playing at the end of the season was that they gave away their playoff chance by not winning one of two very winnable games. Especially the Laker game, which they gifted them with an atrocious third quarter.

We were very competitive even when we lost. That's why the FO failed Curry. We needed a bit more help. Their focus on youth development in the beginning of the year impact our record and then not trading for some vet help at trade deadline impacted our depth. Getting Curry/Warriors to the playoffs should have been priority #1 and not seemly think we're not "contenders" so it's ok to look for the future.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#40 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:51 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Trading for Oubre was the death for high playoff ranking. It failed the team financially and fit wise.

The front office doesn’t know how to architect a team. During the championship years, they only had to make one significant roster spot decision a year. And they were even failing those decisions once West left.

They are in a different position now, but their thinking is still similar to updating one spot a year. They don’t understand how things were put together and how the pieces fit.

Return to Golden State Warriors