ImageImageImageImageImage

The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Did the Warriors front office fail Curry this year?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 45

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Re: The Front Office failed Curry this year 

Post#41 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:15 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Chupchup wrote:Also with the way we were playing at the end of the Season. We had a decent shot against ANY team in the West. Lakers are out. Clippers might be out tonight. Jamal Murray is out. CP3 is Hurt. The Warriors would have been very competitive in the playoffs. It should have be been the top priority to get back into the playoffs for the Warriors and not try to focus on developing the young guys.

The way they were playing at the end of the season was that they gave away their playoff chance by not winning one of two very winnable games. Especially the Laker game, which they gifted them with an atrocious third quarter.

Trading for Oubre was the death for high playoff ranking. It failed the team financially and fit wise.

The front office doesn’t know how to architect a team. During the championship years, they only had to make one significant roster spot decision a year. And they were even failing those decisions once West left.

They are in a different position now, but their thinking is still similar to updating one spot a year. They don’t understand how things were put together and how the pieces fit.

Just how did trading for Oubre fail the team financially? I'm curious to know that. They used a their trade exception to get Oubre, it did nothing to affect the team financially. It affected Joe Lacob's pocketbook in taxes, but had no affect on the team's financial (cap) situation. At the time, days after Thompson went down, Oubre looked like a decent replacement, coming off a pretty good year in Phoenix. And if he hadn't gotten off to such an ice-cold start, people might feel differently about it. With your 20-20 hindsight, who should they have gotten that would have put them in a "high playoff ranking?"
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#42 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Chupchup wrote:Also with the way we were playing at the end of the Season. We had a decent shot against ANY team in the West. Lakers are out. Clippers might be out tonight. Jamal Murray is out. CP3 is Hurt. The Warriors would have been very competitive in the playoffs. It should have be been the top priority to get back into the playoffs for the Warriors and not try to focus on developing the young guys.

The way they were playing at the end of the season was that they gave away their playoff chance by not winning one of two very winnable games. Especially the Laker game, which they gifted them with an atrocious third quarter.

These are the type of situations that we needed to be in
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#43 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:32 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Trading for Oubre was the death for high playoff ranking. It failed the team financially and fit wise.

The front office doesn’t know how to architect a team. During the championship years, they only had to make one significant roster spot decision a year. And they were even failing those decisions once West left.

They are in a different position now, but their thinking is still similar to updating one spot a year. They don’t understand how things were put together and how the pieces fit.

Just how did trading for Oubre fail the team financially? I'm curious to know that. They used a their trade exception to get Oubre, it did nothing to affect the team financially. It affected Joe Lacob's pocketbook in taxes, but had no affect on the team's financial (cap) situation. At the time, days after Thompson went down, Oubre looked like a decent replacement, coming off a pretty good year in Phoenix. And if he hadn't gotten off to such an ice-cold start, people might feel differently about it. With your 20-20 hindsight, who should they have gotten that would have put them in a "high playoff ranking?"

Lacob’s pocketbook is the Warrior’s pocketbook. Any money spent that doesn’t return value is wasted when it could be spent elsewhere buying purchasing round picks from cheap ownership groups. Let’s not pretend the purse strings will be so loose forever and people in the ownership group enjoy blowing money.

The key to the season was the center position. Had Chriss stayed healthy things would have turned out differently. But Oubre trade also had draft implications tied to the Warriors record. They shouldn’t have drafted Wiseman and instead of Oubre they should have gotten a backup center.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#44 » by Chupchup » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:38 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Lacob’s pocketbook is the Warrior’s pocketbook. Any money spent that doesn’t return value is wasted when it could be spent elsewhere buying purchasing round picks from cheap ownership groups. Let’s not pretend the purse strings will be so loose forever and people in the ownership group enjoy blowing money.

The key to the season was the center position. Had Chriss stayed healthy things would have turned out differently. But Oubre trade also had draft implications tied to the Warriors record. They shouldn’t have drafted Wiseman and instead of Oubre they should have gotten a backup center.

I think the Oubre signing was fine post Klay injury but fast forward to the trade deadline when we realized that Oubre wasn't working out and we really need a backup center. That's where we should have traded for some vet help. Nuggets got Javale for 2 later 2nd rounders and prospect. Could we have offered something similar? Javale would have been a excellent spot center for 10 mins a game. Would Cavs been interested in Oubre? I don't know but we didn't do anything.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#45 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:03 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote: Any money spent that doesn’t return value is wasted when it could be spent elsewhere buying purchasing round picks from cheap ownership groups. Let’s not pretend the purse strings will be so loose forever and people in the ownership group enjoy blowing money

That's the whole point--it was not money that could be spent buying picks or whatever. It was a trade exception that was going to expire, it could only be used for a trade, yet you claim that trade for Oubre cost them a high playoff ranking. How, exactly? It had nothing to do with the draft, or purse strings, or anything else.

Edit: Sorry, it wasn't you who claimed that, it was a different poster.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#46 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:27 am

Chupchup wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I think the Oubre signing was fine post Klay injury but fast forward to the trade deadline when we realized that Oubre wasn't working out and we really need a backup center. That's where we should have traded for some vet help. Nuggets got Javale for 2 later 2nd rounders and prospect. Could we have offered something similar? Javale would have been a excellent spot center for 10 mins a game. Would Cavs been interested in Oubre? I don't know but we didn't do anything.

They probably have plans to retain Oubre or there is already a deal in place for a trade behind the scenes.

I don’t think the front office was committed to this season beyond a seventh or eighth seed. Hence the protected draft pick. They were never committed to this season and treated it like another development year to assess Oubre and others.

If that were the case I rather they had tank for 20 percent for top 4 pick plus pray for the Minnesota pick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#47 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:25 am

Instead of "they failed" ... how about REALISTIC moves they could have done that they didn't do that would have made the Warriors contenders this year? Instead of just bloviating say specifically what they should have done.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#48 » by cdubbz » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:30 am

I voted NO. FO had Klay Thompson in mind and they traded for Oubre Jr to help. With Klay would have made playoffs and for sure made it out of round 1
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#49 » by Money_ » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:52 am

I don't think they failed Curry. But they didn't respond quickly or properly enough to the shocking news of Klay's Achilles. It was quite the perfect storm of unfortunate events. They panicked and got Oubre, who on paper was a decent pick up but never fit the system playing with Curry. Seemed like towards the beginning of the season they were just like, well (shrug), development year. It was pretty much training camp for them the first month of the season.
And once their hand was forced with the Wiseman injury, they were able to find a core that went on a good little run.
Keep trying to think back to when they got Bogut, then Igoudala, and Livingston, Barbosa, Jermaine O'neal, David West etc
While there is no repeating that kind of situation and luck, you gotta think Joey Lightyears and company has some sort of master plan to bring in vets.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#50 » by a8bil » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:54 am

I would think the Laker's spectacular playoff fail would educate fans as to the frailty of a team. With a healthy AD, the Laker's are title contenders. Without him, I doubt they make the playoffs, even with the player many think is top 3 all time. The idea that GSW could replace Klay when he went down is just fan ignorance. The team tried to build a competitive roster. Lack of chemistry, injuries, etc all conspired to an early exit from playoff contention. It is what it is.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#51 » by TB » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:56 am

They failed, but i'm not mad at the front office because they did attempt to go for it... just got the wrong guys (which i also am not too mad because almost everyone was on board with most of the players).

But facts are facts.. these very possible and talked about options would make the Warriors a team that is still in the playoffs:

- Thad Young instead of Oubre for the TPE
- D Rose with the DPE

Even taking Wiseman, even using MLE on Wanamaker... those two moves would have this team still playing. So its a failure of a season, but nothing to lose our heads over as fans. Just a season that came up slightly shorter than it should have. It happens.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Re: The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development 

Post#52 » by mos_def » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:11 am

I'm saving this thread come lottery and draft.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#53 » by Badly Browned » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:55 pm

I thought the offseason moves were fine, my biggest complaints of the FO were the in-season stuff, not addressing the lack of big man depth after Chriss' injury at all.

I don't buy the narrative that the problem with the Warriors bench was it's too full of young guys. To start the season the Warriors didn't play Poole, Mannion, or JTA. I had no problem with starting Wiseman, but the Chriss and then Paschall injuries (and not bringing in more players) opened up more minutes for Wiseman than he was ready for.

At the start of the season, the Warriors played their vets, the problem was they had bad vets / bad fit vets (Wanamaker / Oubre) and played them a ton. I remember many thinking in the offseason that Wanamaker and Oubre could provide league average 3pt shooting and good D, sucks it was a huge whiff on the 3pt shooting part.

Poole should've been in the rotation like 10 games sooner and I think Oubre is a much better fit as the backup 3/4 than he was as the starting 2 on the Warriors.

Really curious how real the Oubre for Lonzo rumours were.

I just hope the Warriors aren't taking the route of surrounding Curry with vets just for the sake of surrounding him with vets. I'll be rather annoyed if they trade away all their assets for like Victor Oladipo or something.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#54 » by watch1958 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:22 pm

They should have gotten some vet minimum guy to be available to play center after Chriss was hurt. Even someone lousy, just to give them flexibility with how they used Wiseman.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#55 » by Jester_ » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:27 pm

Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
4-5 seed and they lose their draft pick. They didn't WANT a top 5 seed.

I was against Wiseman starting all during the lead up to the season. I assumed he got that spot because he was doing well enough in practice and that the time with the other starters would help his development. Chriss getting hurt certainly messed up the rotation and probably pushed even more minutes Wiseman's way.

All that said, Kerr and Wiseman and the Warriors were really in a no-win situation with all the injuries.

When you get past the fan disappointment, they almost exactly threaded the needle they kept talking about. They were competitive enough to show the league that Steph is still that dude and a guy you want to play with if you want to win, check. We kept our own pick, check. We actually DID develop some talent this year in Poole, discovering JTA And YES, starting to teach a 19 year old big man how to play grown up basketball. Wiseman was playing notably better right before his final injury and light bulbs were clearly going on, and JW's reaction speed in particular was catching up to the NBA game. There were clearly missteps and clearly unfortunate circumstances along the way, but JW ended his season playing his best ball of the season. That is actually development even if not pretty and neat in the fan fantasy world that doesn't actually exists.

Behind closed doors, given the circumstances they probably feel like the team is in exactly the position they realistically proposed they would be in heading into this summer, other than JW not being available for camp.

I can agree with this. They almost threaded the needle exactly how they wanted it to play out. Other than the fact not making the playoffs. It's not the worst thing in the world.

But again when you have a top 15 player ever and you're not prioritizing winning while he's in his prime, is that really what you want to portray as a franchise?

"Treadmilling" is not "winning". Unless you're walking away with a ring, you're a loser.

Klay was down FFS. Best case we mortgage our future for a 4th seed and get 4-2'd by the Jazz.

How is that helping anyone?
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#56 » by Onus » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:53 pm

Jester_ wrote:
Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
When you get past the fan disappointment, they almost exactly threaded the needle they kept talking about. They were competitive enough to show the league that Steph is still that dude and a guy you want to play with if you want to win, check. We kept our own pick, check. We actually DID develop some talent this year in Poole, discovering JTA And YES, starting to teach a 19 year old big man how to play grown up basketball. Wiseman was playing notably better right before his final injury and light bulbs were clearly going on, and JW's reaction speed in particular was catching up to the NBA game. There were clearly missteps and clearly unfortunate circumstances along the way, but JW ended his season playing his best ball of the season. That is actually development even if not pretty and neat in the fan fantasy world that doesn't actually exists.

Behind closed doors, given the circumstances they probably feel like the team is in exactly the position they realistically proposed they would be in heading into this summer, other than JW not being available for camp.

I can agree with this. They almost threaded the needle exactly how they wanted it to play out. Other than the fact not making the playoffs. It's not the worst thing in the world.

But again when you have a top 15 player ever and you're not prioritizing winning while he's in his prime, is that really what you want to portray as a franchise?

"Treadmilling" is not "winning". Unless you're walking away with a ring, you're a loser.

Klay was down FFS. Best case we mortgage our future for a 4th seed and get 4-2'd by the Jazz.

What does treadmilling have to do with anything?

I guess reading is a lost skill
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#57 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:02 am

People are still making declarations of "should have" but they are generally not very specific on what else they could have done.

One example was getting Thad Young and D Rose, but do we know they didn't try to get them and get turned down? They are vets and they can look at the Warriors and see that the starters are going to not be them, and that the positions they play is going to keep their available minutes low ... instead they chose teams where they could expect to get around 25 minutes at positions with less depth.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#58 » by shazam_guy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:39 pm

Yeah, W's, both Myers and Kerr, have said that several possible veteran deals dried up immediately when Klay went down. It was the potential new Warriors on other teams who voted against Steph being able to lead the team back to the playoffs, not the front office.

"Should have" from fans is just another way of saying "I wish, with hindsight..." There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not all that useful. We all have hindsight. They pay people in the NBA offices to have foresight.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#59 » by Chupchup » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:55 am

Jester_ wrote:
Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

.. We should have just not played since "Treadmilling" is not "winning" when we have Steph Curry at 33 on the team. In that line of thinking, we messed up by getting the 14th pick and should have tried to tank for the 1st pick then.

If we didn't have Steph and Draymond then sure. Don't Treadmill. But each year we have them, we should go for it. This doesn't mean trade everyone away but not doing anything to upgrade the roster at trade deadline.

Anyway the thread was on IF we failed Curry at 33 and not the Warriors long term prospects. Those are two separate questions and people are mixing that up.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 429

Post#60 » by superunknown » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:55 am

so are they anticipated that this offseason several vets will sign here? because if they were about to do it last year before klay went down, now that klay is close to return and steph just showed what he's capable of, those vets shouldn't have any issue in coming here now. let's wait and see.

Return to Golden State Warriors