Image ImageImage Image

How good is Zach Lavine?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Re: How good is Zach Lavine? 

Post#61 » by Jcool0 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:14 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
dukeespn wrote:FWIW The Ringer writers don't think LaVine is a top 25 player in the league.

www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2021/5/4/22416337/top-25-nba-player-ranking-lebron-james-nikola-jokic

Any list that says Luka is only the 10th best player in the NBA has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Plain and simple.

Any list that has Julius Randle as the 21st best player is not a list to take seriously. Also they need to flip Joel Embiid at 3 with Giannis at 7.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#62 » by dice » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:20 am

Jcool0 wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
dukeespn wrote:FWIW The Ringer writers don't think LaVine is a top 25 player in the league.

www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2021/5/4/22416337/top-25-nba-player-ranking-lebron-james-nikola-jokic

Any list that says Luka is only the 10th best player in the NBA has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Plain and simple.

Any list that has Julius Randle as the 21st best player is not a list to take seriously. Also they need to flip Joel Embiid at 3 with Giannis at 7.

i can't tell if you think randle is highly underrated or highly overrated. 'cause anyone who watched him play when it mattered this season could easily argue the latter

randle filled the 2014 joakim noah role on this thibs offense. run it through him because there aren't better options. and the knicks offense, like that bulls offense, sucked. randle's fringe MVP consideration stems from 3 factors:

-heavy minutes, boosting his raw stat line
-team defense, boosting the team's record
-absence of team offensive talent, boosting his role

per 36:

randle 2019: 25/10/4, 60% TS
randle 2021: 23/10/6 57% TS

why is randle being lauded this season but barely noticed when he was with the pelicans? his ability to take it to a larger stage combined with the reasons above
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#63 » by Jcool0 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:30 am

dice wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:

i can't tell if you think randle is highly underrated or highly overrated. 'cause anyone who watched him play when it mattered this season could easily argue the latter

randle filled the 2014 joakim noah role on this thibs offense. run it through him because there aren't better options. and the knicks offense, like that bulls offense, sucked. randle's fringe MVP consideration stems from 4 factors:

-team defense
-absence of team offensive talent

per 36:

why is randle being lauded this season but barely noticed when he was with the pelicans? his ability to take it to a larger stage combined with the reasons above

Randle is closer to the 50th best player then he is to the 20th best player.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#64 » by sco » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:52 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
dice wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

randle filled the 2014 joakim noah role on this thibs offense. run it through him because there aren't better options. and the knicks offense, like that bulls offense, sucked. randle's fringe MVP consideration stems from 4 factors:

-team defense
-absence of team offensive talent

per 36:

Randle is closer to the 50th best player then he is to the 20th best player.

IMO, you guys are under-rating Randle's regular season play. He was amazing. I think, like Thibs' teams of the past, the combination of his offensive schemes (which are too reliant on one guy - Randle was his Chicago Rose) and key guys wearing down after being among the league leaders in minutes makes them beatable/exposable in playoff series.
:clap:
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#65 » by Tetlak » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:26 pm

Randle's regular season can be considered a fluke to me. No, I'm not talking about his raw stats that he accumulated.

He shot at an unsustainable level that he had never come close to reaching at any point in his career, and we saw him come crashing back to earth in the playoffs.

He went 6 years with a shaky jumper and suddenly became elite for a 70 game span? I never bought it.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#66 » by sco » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:20 pm

Tetlak wrote:Randle's regular season can be considered a fluke to me. No, I'm not talking about his raw stats that he accumulated.

He shot at an unsustainable level that he had never come close to reaching at any point in his career, and we saw him come crashing back to earth in the playoffs.

He went 6 years with a shaky jumper and suddenly became elite for a 70 game span? I never bought it.

We here think a single month (February) of good play is proof of elite play.
:clap:
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,357

Post#67 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:26 pm

LaVine is likely a top 20-25 player. He is obviously an excellent offensive player, probably top 10 in that regard. He doesn’t elevate the level of play for his teammates though. If he can round out his game to be a decent playmaker then he’ll move up in the rankings and the Bulls will be a playoff team. Either way I think the Bulls have to re-sign him. Else they need to blow it up now and go for rebuild 2.0 post D Rose.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#68 » by TheStig » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:07 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:LaVine is likely a top 20-25 player. He is obviously an excellent offensive player, probably top 10 in that regard. He doesn’t elevate the level of play for his teammates though. If he can round out his game to be a decent playmaker then he’ll move up in the rankings and the Bulls will be a playoff team. Either way I think the Bulls have to re-sign him. Else they need to blow it up now and go for rebuild 2.0 post D Rose.

I think he's top 25 as well. But making his teammates better and not being able to be above avg defensively, even in spurts like game ending situations, will always keep you out of the top 10. As for scoring versatility and efficiency, he's really really good.

To me, he'd be a top tier #2 to a #1 that is a creator.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#69 » by TheJordanRule » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:08 pm

Zach's a beast. This insane, consistent improvement from Zach has disproved all of his doubters, of which I was one just two seasons ago. From where he was back then to where he is now... the change is quite dramatic tbh. He's Top 20. I'll say it-- Zach is an upgrade over Devin Booker.

TS % Zach - 63.4 Book - 58.7
PER Zach - 21.5 Book - 19.2
WS Zach - 5.9 Book - 4.9
VORP Zach - 2.9 Book - 1.1

The world knows Book because the Suns paired him with CP3 and Deandre Ayton. We need our CP3.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,258

Post#70 » by kodo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:18 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:

Paul George at 14, that's funny.
Lebron at #2 is a complete joke, same old human biased eye test stuff as always from the basketball media.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#71 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:54 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:LaVine is likely a top 20-25 player. He is obviously an excellent offensive player, probably top 10 in that regard. He doesn’t elevate the level of play for his teammates though. If he can round out his game to be a decent playmaker then he’ll move up in the rankings and the Bulls will be a playoff team. Either way I think the Bulls have to re-sign him. Else they need to blow it up now and go for rebuild 2.0 post D Rose.

Agreed. I think LaVine is a high end player. I am curious to see how his game flows with a very good legit PG.
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Post#72 » by dukeespn » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:23 am

kodo wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:

Paul George at 14, that's funny.
Lebron at #2 is a complete joke, same old human biased eye test stuff as always from the basketball media.

It might be an “old biased” ranking but it is still right about the fact that there are more than 25 players who are better than LaVine.

I hope you found some accurate ranking which is not biased and also including LaVine’s name on the top 25 list!

Return to Chicago Bulls