ImageImageImage

Playoffs: Second Round Game 1 : (5) Atlanta Hawks @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Sunday 6/6 l 1:00pm l ABC

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Re: Playoffs: Second Round Game 1 : (5) Atlanta Hawks @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Sunday 6/6 l 1:00pm l ABC 

Post#801 » by cool93 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:47 am

Eyeamok wrote:
cool93 wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:Reading this thread you would think we just got swept by the wizards. We had a bad 8 minute stretch that buried us. If it happens again in game 2 then we can hit the panic button.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The biggest problem I see, is that Doc is exactly what I thought he was. A terrible coach who never makes adjustments. I don't really know why I hoped for something different having years of data as proof, but now it's obvious that we need to have a lot more talent to win any series and that idiot has 4 more years on his contract.

When the 76ers come back and win this series I'll bump this post.

Ummm, Sixers actually are more talented team in this series. Quote the post where I said that I think that we'll be eliminated by Hawks.
That doesn't change the fact that Doc is a terrible coach and I've being saying that on this board since he got hired. That's not just an overreaction to 1 game.
Here are some proofs
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Slick SickSir
Junior
And1: 227

Re: Playoffs: Second Round Game 1 : (5) Atlanta Hawks @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Sunday 6/6 l 1:00pm l ABC 

Post#802 » by Slick SickSir » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:50 am

Murray_17 wrote:
Slick SickSir wrote:Pretty obvious I wasnt saying keep simmons and build around him and trade embiid.. it was **** we just lost another year in our window and embiid may have a torn up knee just blow it all up angry talk.

I def do not want to trade embiid and keep simmons

You wanted to trade both.... dude it's your own words out there.

Ya I understand amd technically yes I guess I said it but its pretty obvious its a **** it all reactionary post to the embiid announcement in the general thread not a me lobbying to trade embiid in any way and now flipping script

But whatever
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#803 » by Murray_17 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:54 am

Slick SickSir wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:
Slick SickSir wrote:Pretty obvious I wasnt saying keep simmons and build around him and trade embiid.. it was **** we just lost another year in our window and embiid may have a torn up knee just blow it all up angry talk.

I def do not want to trade embiid and keep simmons

Ya I understand amd technically yes I guess I said it but its pretty obvious its a **** it all reactionary post to the embiid announcement in the general thread not a me lobbying to trade embiid in any way and now flipping script

But whatever

I mean, you didn't even wanted to blow it up, you wanted to pair Lilllard with Tobias :lol: :lol:
Slick SickSir
Junior

Post#804 » by Slick SickSir » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:56 am

Murray_17 wrote:
Slick SickSir wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

But whatever

I mean, you didn't even wanted to blow it up, you wanted to pair Lilllard with Tobias :lol: :lol:

Yes cuz an angry reactionary post on the embiid announcment in which i say trade embiid and simmons is obv not blowing it up... look u got me by quoting me out of context

U made it seem like I was going around the sixer board advocating for trading embiid and keeping simmons and now flipping script. I wasnt and have never done that. Have I been angry and said **** out of anger/disappointment after embiid was announced with a knee tear? Ya. U got me
Slick SickSir
Junior

Post#805 » by Slick SickSir » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:58 am

I even said trade everyone and start over.. that was obv anger talking as I am still pissed about embiids misfortune and ours
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#806 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:35 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Stanford wrote:
76ciology wrote:Playing perimeter defense in the NBA is like trying to hurt someone in entertainment wrestling.

Terrible analogy

Trying to play defense in the current NBA is like trying to hold back disappointment when the Taker/Michaels feud was ruined by Fake-Diesel showing up in red pants. 8-)

A contact sports but you’re not allowed for any contact in defense.

The only way to play perimeter defense is the way Thybulle plays it. By trying to be one step ahead. And when you’re left behind, you go for a hail mary swipe and hopefully you deflect the ball.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#807 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:02 am

Game 1 of the Hawks game is one of the few games I watched live (not replay) this season.

Hawks probably (lazy to check) had their best shooting game of the year.

The Trae 2 man game gave us a lot of trouble, as expected. Like I said, we win this series and we’ll come out a much better team with what we’re going to learn on defending this 2 man game. Defending the 2 man game is our weakness on defense IMO ever since.

How do you defend it?

With how the Hawks was shooting in the first half, we defend it like how Udoka-Brett would run it by having our guys stay with their man. And it’s basically a monkey in the middle situation where Trae and Capela plays 2 v 1 on Biid.

There’s really nothing Green can do.

Contrary to what most people think, I think Doc did a great job this game. My only complain was we put ourselves in a really bad position in the first half. Maybe being down by 5-8pts less would have done us much better. That’s like one hail mary shots each by Lou Will and Trae not going in.

And in the second half we were more dynamic in defending it. There were some pre-switching and trapping but this lead to open 3s by ball rotation. This is the only way to defend it at this situation but Doc does not want us to defend it this way because Seth and Biid are not built for this type of defense. Honestly, Biid moved like an old Patrick Ewing on defense this game.

We have to defend it like how the Raps would defend it with length and quick rotations. And individually, like Thybulle defends it, the player rotations should be quicker than the ball rotation.

I also agree with Kobble that we may have to slowdown their guys by offense. And I think there’s legs in attacking Trae and Bogdan on offense. Ben seems to had an easy time scoring in transition.

Brightside with all these is we may have discovered a weakness with Hawks’ difficulty in bringing down the ball. Shooters hate physicality. Maybe we should play like how Celts perimeter defenders like Smart and Rozier would harass our guys before,

While we lose this game in a small margin despite how we played in the first half, despite all the shots that almost went in, despite how hot the hawks were on their 3s and despite Ben’s 1-6 FTs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Post#808 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:42 pm

The problem with this team is that lots of the money is tied up in a player (Simmons) who can't be counted on to rise to the occasion and contribute in the way the top players in the league do in big games. Take any big game in the league and think about how players like Durant, Harden, Lebron, Kawhi, Luka, etc. are going to respond. You know what you're going to get -- a huge contribution that reflects the player's appreciation of the game's importance and his need/desire to contribute to his team's success.

With Simmons there is none of that. That would be fine if he was making far less money, because then you could surround him with players who do exhibit the "star" trait I'm talking about, and then you could possibly be competitive with the teams that have such stars.

There will always be teams in the league that gather several stars to make a run at a title. Right now it's the Nets. Previously it was Golden State. You'll never be competitive with those teams when your money is tied up in Ben Simmons.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#809 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:21 pm

cool93 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
cool93 wrote:
The biggest problem I see, is that Doc is exactly what I thought he was. A terrible coach who never makes adjustments. I don't really know why I hoped for something different having years of data as proof, but now it's obvious that we need to have a lot more talent to win any series and that idiot has 4 more years on his contract.

When the 76ers come back and win this series I'll bump this post.

Ummm, Sixers actually are more talented team in this series. Quote the post where I said that I think that we'll be eliminated by Hawks.
That doesn't change the fact that Doc is a terrible coach and I've being saying that on this board since he got hired. That's not just an overreaction to 1 game.
Here are some proofs
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I gave you an Add +1 not because I think you are right but because I respect your consistency
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#810 » by kuclas » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:37 pm

Ben Simmons was not the problem yesterday. Our shooters missed wide open 3 point shots. Hawks shooters made wide open shots. End of story. Anytime a team makes 20 shots from 3 point land on greater than 40% efficiently. They are likely going to win.

Adding to the misery was the 17-0 run with our bench players commuting multiple turnovers while hawks got hot. Bad combination.

The key is Atlanta is to be physical with them. Those legs become heavier trying to make jump shots when you are physical with them. I don’t know how long Embiid can last. But there is not much in terms of rim protection and interior defense once capela leaves. Collins wants nothing to do with Embiid down low. The rookie okongwu is giving up 60 pounds to Embiid and 4 inches
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#811 » by Arsenal » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:47 pm

To some extent we were unlucky w/our shooting and they were lucky w/theirs. That should even out.

If Embiid can stay effective, this is still our series to win.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,458

Post#812 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:58 pm

Slick SickSir wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:
Slick SickSir wrote:

But whatever

Yes cuz an angry reactionary post on the embiid announcment in which i say trade embiid and simmons is obv not blowing it up... look u got me by quoting me out of context

U made it seem like I was going around the sixer board advocating for trading embiid and keeping simmons and now flipping script. I wasnt and have never done that. Have I been angry and said **** out of anger/disappointment after embiid was announced with a knee tear? Ya. U got me

So you're admitting that you're completely out of control with your internet emotions. I knew I wasn't crazy! You were and do....Act...like a petulant child :lol:
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#813 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:00 pm

kuclas wrote:Ben Simmons was not the problem yesterday. Our shooters missed wide open 3 point shots. Hawks shooters made wide open shots. End of story. Anytime a team makes 20 shots from 3 point land on greater than 40% efficiently. They are likely going to win.

Adding to the misery was the 17-0 run with our bench players commuting multiple turnovers while hawks got hot. Bad combination.

The key is Atlanta is to be physical with them. Those legs become heavier trying to make jump shots when you are physical with them. I don’t know how long Embiid can last. But there is not much in terms of rim protection and interior defense once capela leaves. Collins wants nothing to do with Embiid down low. The rookie okongwu is giving up 60 pounds to Embiid and 4 inches

Again when your money is tied up in Simmons, your margin of error against the better teams in the league in big games -- when teams will be ratcheting up their play -- is very small. If Simmons goes out and pours in 25-30 points like the star he's being paid to be, now all of the sudden you can miss three-point shots and still win.

The problem is that Simmons is being paid "star" money and isn't playing like a star. That keeps the team from having the star power necessary to compete with the best teams in the league. And by "best" teams in the league, I mean either 1) the teams with the best personnel (i.e., the Nets), or 2) the teams with lesser personnel but which are ratcheting up their play to that level on any given day (i.e., the Hawks yesterday).

You stand to play poorly against either of those types of teams when your "star money" players don't play like true stars, and that's Simmons's MO. If Simmons played that way once in a blue moon, that'd be fine, but what's actually become expected of him is something far less than his star money warrants.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#814 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:00 pm

Arsenal wrote:To some extent we were unlucky w/our shooting and they were lucky w/theirs. That should even out.

If Embiid can stay effective, this is still our series to win.

I agree, we're fine. We're gonna come back and smoke them in game 2. This does hinge on Embiid's health though. Real talk, he put up 39 on a bum knee, so there's no concern there for me. I think he's fine. Hell, I probably have a partially torn meniscus too.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#815 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:07 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
kuclas wrote:Ben Simmons was not the problem yesterday. Our shooters missed wide open 3 point shots. Hawks shooters made wide open shots. End of story. Anytime a team makes 20 shots from 3 point land on greater than 40% efficiently. They are likely going to win.

Again when your money is tied up in Simmons, your margin of error against the better teams in the league in big games -- when teams will be ratcheting up their play -- is very small. If Simmons goes out and pours in 25-30 points like the star he's being paid to be, now all of the sudden you can miss three-point shots and still win.

The problem is that Simmons is being paid "star" money and isn't playing like a star. That keeps the team from having the star power necessary to compete with the best teams in the league. And by "best" teams in the league, I mean either 1) the teams with the best personnel (i.e., the Nets), or 2) the teams with lesser personnel but which are ratcheting up their play to that level on any given day (i.e., the Hawks yesterday).

You stand to play poorly against either of those types of teams when your "star money" players don't play like true stars, and that's Simmons's MO.

That's the thing with Simmons though. It's almost as if he steps up or levels up as soon as he gets criticized. Remember two years ago against the Nets in round one? He had an awful game one. We lost, Jared Dudley was talking trash, the Nets were all talking smack as well. All of a sudden game two comes around and we were without Embiid in that game! Simmons came out and poured it on. I think he dropped 31 points and we whooped their asses. So I do expect Ben to come back in game two of this series and have a great showing. It's not as if he had a bad game yesterday, but knows he needs to do better and I think he will. It's so weird with him though. It's almost as if he chooses to coast at times. It seems to be a different story once a game/season is actually on the line. Then he shows up. If we could get him to have that killer mindset all the time, this team would be unbeatable.
This has really been my only complaint about Doc Rivers as our coach. The coddling has continued with Doc in control.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#816 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:10 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:The problem with this team is that lots of the money is tied up in a player (Simmons) who can't be counted on to rise to the occasion and contribute in the way the top players in the league do in big games. Take any big game in the league and think about how players like Durant, Harden, Lebron, Kawhi, Luka, etc. are going to respond. You know what you're going to get -- a huge contribution that reflects the player's appreciation of the game's importance and his need/desire to contribute to his team's success.

With Simmons there is none of that. That would be fine if he was making far less money, because then you could surround him with players who do exhibit the "star" trait I'm talking about, and then you could possibly be competitive with the teams that have such stars.

There will always be teams in the league that gather several stars to make a run at a title. Right now it's the Nets. Previously it was Golden State. You'll never be competitive with those teams when your money is tied up in Ben Simmons.

Simmons makes significantly less than all of those guys besides Luka who is on a rookie contract.

I'm not sure what major impact Simmons' contract has on a team that's already over the salary cap.

Not sure why you are singling out Simmons on this instead of, say, Tobias who makes more than he does.

The concept of a "max contract" seems to confuse a lot of people.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#817 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:13 pm

Also, just a PSA regarding the Game 2 game thread: I am not very superstitious about this stuff, but I know other people are. So if someone else wants to make a game thread, feel free to make it by noon tomorrow, otherwise I will make one.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#818 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:14 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

You stand to play poorly against either of those types of teams when your "star money" players don't play like true stars, and that's Simmons's MO.

That's the thing with Simmons though. It's almost as if he steps up or levels up as soon as he gets criticized. Remember two years ago against the Nets in round one? He had an awful game one. We lost, Jared Dudley was talking trash, the Nets were all talking smack as well. All of a sudden game two comes around and we were without Embiid in that game! Simmons came out and poured it on. I think he dropped 31 points and we whooped their asses. So I do expect Ben to come back in game two of this series and have a great showing. It's not as if he had a bad game yesterday, but knows he needs to do better and I think he will. It's so weird with him though. It's almost as if he chooses to coast at times. It seems to be a different story once a game/season is actually on the line. Then he shows up. If we could get him to have that killer mindset all the time, this team would be unbeatable.
This has really been my only complaint about Doc Rivers as our coach. The coddling has continued with Doc in control.

Right but that variation in his performance is precisely the problem. If he has to "get motivated" by something like that to come out and play the way that corresponds to his salary, the team is inherently limited in competing with the best teams in the league.

At this point "Embiid and Simmons" should be no different from "Lebron and Davis" for example in terms of what we should expect from them in ANY game, not just when Simmons has some sort of hard-on caused by something. It's precisely the inability of Simmons to play at that level game in game out that limits this team.

You can't arrange role players like Seth Curry and Danny Green around "Embiid and Simmons" (as a supposed power duo like Lebron and Davis) and then have Simmons play like a role player himself. That won't work when the competition is elevated.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#819 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:21 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:Again when your money is tied up in Simmons, your margin of error against the better teams in the league in big games -- when teams will be ratcheting up their play -- is very small. If Simmons goes out and pours in 25-30 points like the star he's being paid to be, now all of the sudden you can miss three-point shots and still win.

Right but that variation in his performance is precisely the problem. If he has to "get motivated" by something like that to come out and play the way that corresponds to his salary, the team is inherently limited in competing with the best teams in the league.

At this point "Embiid and Simmons" should be no different from "Lebron and Davis" for example in terms of what we should expect from them in ANY game, not just when Simmons has some sort of hard-on caused by something. It's precisely the inability of Simmons to play at that level game in game out that limits this team.

You can't arrange role players like Seth Curry and Danny Green around "Embiid and Simmons" (as a supposed power duo like Lebron and Davis) and then have Simmons play like a role player himself. That won't work when the competition is elevated.

Lebron and Davis make $72 million whereas Embiid and Simmons make $60 million. There's also someone else on the Sixers roster that makes $34 million whereas no one else on the Lakers makes more than 15.

This is all very simple info you can look up on bbr, hoopshype etc.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#820 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Also, just a PSA regarding the Game 2 game thread: I am not very superstitious about this stuff, but I know other people are. So if someone else wants to make a game thread, feel free to make it by noon tomorrow, otherwise I will make one.
As long as it's a sixers regular haha. Just shouldn't be ducler starting it lol.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers