Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1441 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:31 am

Bnice5 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Bnice5 wrote:Would Boston have any interest in KP for Smart and a sign and trade of Evan Fournier?

I wouldn’t mind a starting line up of

Luka
Smart
Fournier
DFS
Center who can play D and rim roll (Holmes?)

I can’t imagine a world in which any team out there has Kemba and Porzingis on the same payroll.

Only way KP goes to Boston is if Kemba is coming back…. Mavs should do that though if Smart came back with him

Agree I don’t think they would, but I really don’t want to touch Kemba… KPs contract is much more movable due to his age and rare size/skill.

Move him to the Pacers for Myles Turner. Then move JRich and/or Brunson to Boston for Marcus Smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#1442 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:55 am

Mr B wrote:
Bnice5 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
I can’t imagine a world in which any team out there has Kemba and Porzingis on the same payroll.

Only way KP goes to Boston is if Kemba is coming back…. Mavs should do that though if Smart came back with him

Agree I don’t think they would, but I really don’t want to touch Kemba… KPs contract is much more movable due to his age and rare size/skill.

Move him to the Pacers for Myles Turner. Then move JRich and/or Brunson to Boston for Marcus Smart.

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1443 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:18 am

In hindsight, they probably could have done better had they kept Harrison Barnes instead. There was no need for Justin Jackson. Barnes could have done way more than DFS starting at SF.

The Mavs are entering the offseason about to overpay a Kent Bazemore in THJ. They have two spot up shooters in DFS and Maxi who have no business starting in 2021. And a Dragan Bender in KP paid like a Giannis because Cuban thinks he's a genius in shark tank.

That's 4 out of 5 starters that need changing. Puts Dallas in the same boat as Portland sans the coaching search. Carlisle is secured AF.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1444 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:26 am

Eric Bledsoe has been looking for a way out of New Orleans. All NBA Defensive PG.

KP + Powell + 1st rounder for Bledsoe + Steven Adams
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#1445 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:00 pm

Mr B wrote:If JRich opts in (highly likely) that’s who you start with.

I wish Vegas offered a prop bet on whether JRich will opt in or not. I would literally bet my car on him not opting in.

If Chris Paul isn't opting in to his $44 mil player option, and instead wants a 3 year $100 mil deal. THE PLAYERS ALWAYS WANT THE LARGER TOTAL SUM OF MONEY. Then why would J Rich opt in for $11 mil, when some team out there will offer him a lot more than $11 mil on a multi-year deal?

I think I'm the only person on this forum saying that J Rich will opt out, when he very clearly will, and everyone else is like Nah, he's opting in for sure bro. It just doesn't make any sense. Boban has a better chance of being this team's starting point guard next season than J Rich has of opting in. It ain't happening folks.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#1446 » by JJP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:10 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

I wish Vegas offered a prop bet on whether JRich will opt in or not. I would literally bet my car on him not opting in.

If Chris Paul isn't opting in to his $44 mil player option, and instead wants a 3 year $100 mil deal. THE PLAYERS ALWAYS WANT THE LARGER TOTAL SUM OF MONEY. Then why would J Rich opt in for $11 mil, when some team out there will offer him a lot more than $11 mil on a multi-year deal?

I think I'm the only person on this forum saying that J Rich will opt out, when he very clearly will, and everyone else is like Nah, he's opting in for sure bro. It just doesn't make any sense. Boban has a better chance of being this team's starting point guard next season than J Rich has of opting in. It ain't happening folks.

No, there are a few of us that believe he will opt out.

His agent is going to tell him he has no future here even if he decides to opt in.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#1447 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:14 pm

Aren't the Bulls interested in Lonzo Ball? Wouldn't a Richardson for Satoransky trade make sense for both teams? They have a similar salary and are expirings.

Would only work if he opts in. Dallas gets a solid 2nd Playmaker off the bench and Chicago a guard, who doesn't need the Ball in his hand that often
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#1448 » by JJP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:18 pm

Bnice5 wrote:Agree I don’t think they would, but I really don’t want to touch Kemba… KPs contract is much more movable due to his age and rare size/skill.

Would you rather see KP come back as our center or PF and then the Mavs try to find some backcourt help....

or would you rather see a new center or PF and Kemba Walker in the back court?

KP is ineffective here. There's no use in keeping him on the Mavs team no matter how skilled he is. And the reality is that trading partners would be very limited.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#1449 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:21 pm

JJP wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

His agent is going to tell him he has no future here even if he decides to opt in.

Yes, that's true his future is not bright in Dallas, but that's not why he's opting out.

He can get more than $11 mil elsewhere. CP3 has a bright future in PHX if he wants it, but what CP3 wants is more than $44 mil. That's why he's opting out in search of the 3 yrs & $100 mil he wants.

Players want more money. I don't know why I've seen 15 posts about J Rich opting in, it's just not what players do.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1450 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:25 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
JJP wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Yes, that's true his future is not bright in Dallas, but that's not why he's opting out.

He can get more than $11 mil elsewhere. CP3 has a bright future in PHX if he wants it, but what CP3 wants is more than $44 mil. That's why he's opting out in search of the 3 yrs & $100 mil he wants.

Players want more money. I don't know why I've seen 15 posts about J Rich opting in, it's just not what players do.

If Jrich walking clears up more money, I wonder if Cuban likes to revisit an Oladipo signing. Combine THJ and Jrich and turn it into Oladipo? Surely he'd score more than THJ's 11 pts in a win or go home Game 7.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#1451 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:54 pm

arkuo wrote:If Jrich walking clears up more money, I wonder if Cuban likes to revisit an Oladipo signing. Combine THJ and Jrich and turn it into Oladipo? Surely he'd score more than THJ's 11 pts in a win or go home Game 7.

That's actually a realistic option. Oladipo comes with equal parts risk & upside. IF healthy, which has been a big if lately, he can break his man down off the dribble, and only Luka, Jalen Brunson and Trey Burke can do that on this roster. With Brunson, and even Luka most times, they're not going to dunk on you. Oladipo attacks the rim. Luka is deadly with his floater and drive & kick, but Oladipo adds an extra element. Oladipo would add an extra playmaker too.

Decent rebounder, not a great shooter, and I'm not sure what kind of 1-on-1 defender he is. I doubt he would have slowed down Kawhi much tho... Coming off the knee injury and being a UFA, he might be someone the Mavs could afford. With the injury maybe even 3 for 40 is reasonable. I'd take a flier on the guy for that. He just turned 29. There's not many better options available this offseason.

Miami essentially gave up Olynyk to get Oladipo, so they're not that invested. Maybe with the injury, they're not as keen on bringing him back as they would have been.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1452 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:33 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

There’s a HUGE difference between Chris Paul and Josh Richardson. CP was very productive this year and was even in the MVP conversation, of course he’s going to opt out for a multi year $100M contract. With the last two season that JRich had there is no way anyone is paying him $12M per in a multi year deal. He needs to rebuild his stock if he wants another deal close to the one he got and what better team to do that on than a team that has Luka. He’s make more money opting in, going through camp with the Mavs, collecting his $12M this season, and then signing a long term deal next off season after he’s had a better year.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#1453 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:36 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
JJP wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Again there is a HUGE difference between JRich and CP.

And what makes you think he couldn’t have a decent year in Dallas? Because he won’t get enough shots? All he has to do is perform well in camp and he back in the rotation. He’s still one of the Mavs better perimeter defenders.

There is no way in hell he’s opting out with his stock as low as it is.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#1454 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:38 pm

arkuo wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
JJP wrote:

If Jrich walking clears up more money, I wonder if Cuban likes to revisit an Oladipo signing. Combine THJ and Jrich and turn it into Oladipo? Surely he'd score more than THJ's 11 pts in a win or go home Game 7.

I want no part of Oladipo. Especially considering he might not even play next season.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#1455 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

There’s a HUGE difference between Chris Paul and Josh Richardson. CP was very productive this year and was even in the MVP conversation, of course he’s going to opt out for a multi year $100M contract. With the last two season that JRich had there is no way anyone is paying him $12M per in a multi year deal. He needs to rebuild his stock if he wants another deal close to the one he got and what better team to do that on than a team that has Luka. He’s make more money opting in, going through camp with the Mavs, collecting his $12M this season, and then signing a long term deal next off season after he’s had a better year.

You're correct. J Rich will not get $12 mil per season. He'll get something like 4 for 32, and guess what? He'll take $32 million over $11 mil. Why? Because $32 million is more than $11 million.

CP3 is going to turn down $44 million for a chance to make $33 million per year. Why? Because $100 million is more than $44 million.

PLAYERS ALWAYS TAKE THE LARGER TOTAL SUM OF MONEY. It's very foolish to think a player will do otherwise.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1456 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:36 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

You're correct. J Rich will not get $12 mil per season. He'll get something like 4 for 32, and guess what? He'll take $32 million over $11 mil. Why? Because $32 million is more than $11 million.

CP3 is going to turn down $44 million for a chance to make $33 million per year. Why? Because $100 million is more than $44 million.

PLAYERS ALWAYS TAKE THE LARGER TOTAL SUM OF MONEY. It's very foolish to think a player will do otherwise.

JRich can get $12M this season rebuild his stock and then get a contract that averages $12M per on a 4 year deal.

What’s bigger $60M over 5 years or $32M over 4 years? In case you’re not following the math. $12M for this season then $48M for 4 years.

Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#1457 » by Bnice5 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:41 pm

If J Rich opts in, he is a bench player for us and not a very good one at that... It would completely crush any perceived value of him that is out there. He opts out so that he can try to find someone that will pay him the mid level for 3 years. He wont have that option next year
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#1458 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:17 pm

Mr B wrote:JRich can get $12M this season rebuild his stock and then get a contract that averages $12M per on a 4 year deal.

What’s bigger $60M over 5 years or $32M over 4 years? In case you’re not following the math. $12M for this season then $48M for 4 years.

He could blow out his knee, end his career, and never make more than the $11.6 mil next season. Also these agents don't get paid off of maybes. They push clients to take more money now. They're looking for the largest commission they can make now.

If you're right, then why is CP3 turning down $44 mil a year to find a deal for $33 mil a year? J Rich is really smart, but CP3 is stupid???
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1459 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:00 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:JRich can get $12M this season rebuild his stock and then get a contract that averages $12M per on a 4 year deal.

He could blow out his knee, end his career, and never make more than the $11.6 mil next season. Also these agents don't get paid off of maybes. They push clients to take more money now. They're looking for the largest commission they can make now.

If you're right, then why is CP3 turning down $44 mil a year to find a deal for $33 mil a year? J Rich is really smart, but CP3 is stupid???

Again, you can’t compare CP to JRich. I’m not sure why that’s so hard to understand. One is an MVP candidate and the other has been regulated to the end of the bench. Their situations are NO WHERE NEAR SIMILAR.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#1460 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:51 pm

Mr B wrote:Again, you can’t compare CP to JRich. I’m not sure why that’s so hard to understand. One is an MVP candidate and the other has been regulated to the end of the bench. Their situations are NO WHERE NEAR SIMILAR.

Tell me what you notice about the players on this list who opted out and who opted in:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/09/nba-player-option-decisions-for-202021.html

Return to Dallas Mavericks