ImageImageImageImageImage

the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,158

the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#1 » by aggo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:40 am

guys

Lonzo is not a difference maker if Randle is still the #1 option next season
Derozan cant shoot threes
Schroder isnt dependable enough

Offseason plan #1:

Trade everything sans RJ, Randle for Lillard
3FRPs, 3 swaps, and IQ for Lillard. If 4 picks are necessary, just do it.

plan #2:

Trade 3FRPs + IQ for Beal
sign Lowry 3/45

plan #3:

sign Fournier 4/65
sign Lowry 3/45
sign Ibaka 2/20

Lowry/Vildoza/IQ
Fournier/IQ
RJ
Randle/Obi/Ibaka
Mitch/Ibaka

why plan 3 works:

Lowry is still atleast an avg dribble drive & pnr point guard
Fournier does have some playmaking ability

meaning the ball is out of Randles hands alot adn we are not depending on him to create for others.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#2 » by Ghetto Gospel » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:01 am

yeah.. but that plan 3 that you like still has randle being the #1 next season which you say is a mistake
AusKnicksTape
Senior
And1: 422

Post#3 » by AusKnicksTape » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:33 am

OR....we just accept the fact that next season is clearly not going to be the season in which we can responsibly get our guy so we just look to improve on this year by taking another small step (Lonzo) - and keeping our exciting core of Mitch, Obi, IQ and RJ (plus Randle) - and look to sign THE guy the next season.

Realistically there are just too many teams in their prime right now who will control the narrative on both the east and west. Build conservatively and we can look at competing for the foreseeable future.

That way we keep our depth and we don’t need to worry about constantly needing to rebuild “chemistry”. There’s absolutely nothing exciting to me about getting Lowry Ibaka and Fournier like what!!!?!?
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,812

Post#4 » by knicks94 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:37 am

Another Randle thread is just what we needed. Thank you, OP!
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#5 » by Fat » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:39 am

I thought the goal was to pair randle and lilard together
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#6 » by ny-n-md » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:43 am

This is a vomit inducing idea. I don’t think we need to follow the formula that has ruined our future many times before by trading everything for a star. This leaves the roster thin and isn’t good enough to win with what remains. That last idea…just no please
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,186

Post#7 » by gavran » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:08 am

Whenever a poster places the word "everything" after the word "trade" in a serious manner, should be banned automatically by a bot.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,607

Post#8 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:51 am

We’re going to get the same results if we trade everything for Dame and then get him Fournier as his 2 lol....

Also Lowry 3/45? Sign me up right now. Not sure how Fournier got paid more.
KnicksFan7
Sixth Man
And1: 868

Post#9 » by KnicksFan7 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:20 pm

AusKnicksTape wrote:OR....we just accept the fact that next season is clearly not going to be the season in which we can responsibly get our guy so we just look to improve on this year by taking another small step (Lonzo) - and keeping our exciting core of Mitch, Obi, IQ and RJ (plus Randle) - and look to sign THE guy the next season.

Realistically there are just too many teams in their prime right now who will control the narrative on both the east and west. Build conservatively and we can look at competing for the foreseeable future.

That way we keep our depth and we don’t need to worry about constantly needing to rebuild “chemistry”. There’s absolutely nothing exciting to me about getting Lowry Ibaka and Fournier like what!!!?!?

I agree. Also, let's not make a move just to make a move. That's been done in the past and it's killed us. We should build on the core we have and find the right chemistry pieces that will also help us improve. Regardless of the criticism, the team still got the 4 seed this year and there's something to be said about that. Let's take a crawl, walk, run approach and continue to build next season. It'll help us in the long run.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,057

Post#10 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:28 pm

The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Best short-term option is Chris Paul in free agency.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,732

Post#11 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:39 pm

Depleting the team for one player would put us back to where we were in 2012 - a second round exit team. We’re not beating any of the top 4 east teams regardless of those trades. You can get the same end result running it back with this team. People are back to star-phucking again. We never learn.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,714

Post#12 » by 8516knicks » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:04 pm

gavran wrote:Whenever a foster places the word "everything" after the word "trade" in a serious manner, should be banned automatically by a bot.

I feel the same way about posters! 8-) :lol: :wink:
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#13 » by Fury » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:06 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).

Is Lavine going to be available? What would we give up?
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,714

Post#14 » by 8516knicks » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:11 pm

We're unlikely to strike gold in FA/trades. Our next step would be the 2nd round. So How about affordable difference makers in the interim? Use the three/four draft picks to hopefully find the next Halliburton. Rumors are Nunn and N. Powell are on their radar for backcourt shooting. Someone like L. Markenen would be good as we have no frontcourt shooters. And probably one of Bullock/Burks makes way for someone a bit more well rounded who can still shoot. And there have to be gettable inexpensive PGs who can do a lot more than Elfrid who can match well with Rose's 20 min.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#15 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:53 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

If the Bulls are losing miserably by the trade deadline next year, they are definitely gonna trade him. Now the bigger question is, do we wait for him to hit free agency or pull the trigger on a trade?
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:00 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

If the Bulls are losing miserably by the trade deadline next year, they are definitely gonna trade him. Now the bigger question is, do we wait for him to hit free agency or pull the trigger on a trade?

I think we have to trade for him. Isn't the difference in salary going to be significant depending on which team has his bird rights?

Problem is I like the potential of all our young players. But I'm starting to rethink my stance on Obi/IQ vs RJ because the game seems to come a lot easier to them, and at the end of the day efficiency is the name of the game. I still favor RJ, but I'm starting to question that.

For Lavine, I'll trade a few unprotected firsts, no question about it. I like our youth more than these picks.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#17 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:02 pm

Fury wrote:

Is Lavine going to be available? What would we give up?

Chicago screwed up by trading for Vuc. They are not making the playoffs with that team, so Lavine might be looking for a different situation. I don't know what it would take to bring him here, but I'd trade a few first for him. Chicago would probably want one of our young players, and that's the hard part imo. IQ would be the logical trade piece but I think he's special.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#18 » by seren » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:05 pm

Atlanta is doing well. They went the right route: Find number one and build around. Randle is not number one so no reason to try to build around him. Just accept that fact and continue hustling.

That said, here is my off season priority: Extend Randle and Mitchell. Get some guard help. Don’t give up future picks unless for a superstar.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#19 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:07 pm

aggo wrote:guys

Lonzo is not a difference maker if Randle is still the #1 option next season
Derozan cant shoot threes
Schroder isnt dependable enough

Offseason plan #1:

Trade everything sans RJ, Randle for Lillard
3FRPs, 3 swaps, and IQ for Lillard. If 4 picks are necessary, just do it.

plan #2:

Trade 3FRPs + IQ for Beal
sign Lowry 3/45

plan #3:

sign Fournier 4/65
sign Lowry 3/45
sign Ibaka 2/20

Lowry/Vildoza/IQ
Fournier/IQ
RJ
Randle/Obi/Ibaka
Mitch/Ibaka

why plan 3 works:

Lowry is still atleast an avg dribble drive & pnr point guard
Fournier does have some playmaking ability

meaning the ball is out of Randles hands alot adn we are not depending on him to create for others.

Strongly Agree with the overall idea about not letting JR be your #1 especially if the goal is a championship.

Absolutely agree with trying to go all out for a still few years from his decline 31 year old Lillard.

Also believe if we pull off Lillard and Clips fall short in round 2 or even maybe in the finals , Kawhi would consider coming to play here.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#20 » by Dantares » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:10 pm

He was by far the worst #1 option in the playoffs. He was like Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan on the raptors bad.

He is terrible when he catches the ball in the triple threat position or tries to post up starting from 15 feet away. His arms are so short its just hard for him to get clean looks over lengthy defenders so he has to do a weak off balance fade away.

Julius is best when he is attacking down hill. But he couldn't even do that because Thibs didn't have many plays where Julius could attack off curls. Also Julius couldn't attack the paint because the hawks didn't respect his 3 point shot. They just crowded the middle and Julius kept bricking 3's so he could never get the hawks defense to shift.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Return to New York Knicks