ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker Thread: Celtics seek to Trade Walker

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Re: Kemba Walker Thread: Celtics seek to Trade Walker 

Post#81 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:16 pm

Kemba needs to be traded for a TPE unless Celtics plan on paying luxury tax this year.

That way they can bring back Fournier, use 11m TPE, use 10m MLE. Likely have to give up pick 16 to do it though..
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,911

Post#82 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:11 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Kemba needs to be traded for a TPE unless Celtics plan on paying luxury tax this year.

That way they can bring back Fournier, use 11m TPE, use 10m MLE. Likely have to give up pick 16 to do it though..

I'm down with that.
Send out Kemba and pick 16, and get a new TPE.

Fournier, probably goes about 20M/yr.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#83 » by JHTruth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:39 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Hindsight: if we’d kept Rozier and Marcus Morris, we’d be better off today and have had more trade options over the last two years.

True but I can see why Ainge let both players go.

Passing on re-signing Hayward, Horford, Rozier and Morris all justifiable decisions and in most cases given where Celtics were at prudent decisions.

The big mistake was signing Kemba. Bad decision to sign an aging Kemba to the max, terrible risk that was a surefire loser move given where Celtics were at with the 3 knee surgeries.

Even if the Kyrie trade on balance was a moderately bad risk since Celtics were giving up a Nets pick that could have ended up in top 5, it had a real opportunity to work out and help lead the Celtics to a championship. Kyrie was on a great contract for 2 years and Celtics had Horford/Hayward.

Kemba on a team without even Horford never had a chance to help lead this team to a title. Tatum wasn't going to turn into peak Lebron and Brown wasn't going to be that strong #2 player overnight.

It really was a terrible decision that was so bad that I lose some faith with EVERYONE in the organization that had input into it that didn't go nuclear trying to prevent it.

I imagine even ownership had a heavy hand in it. Ownership wants playoff revenue and losing Kyrie and Horford for nothing would have been a big black eye for the franchise. It was in many ways a face-saving move..
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,072

Post#84 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:11 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I personally seek to be a millionaire. I guess we all have dreams.

Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You still put your pants on one leg at a time and get arthritis. Now billionaire, that's a different story.

So the Celtics are looking to trade Kemba Walker? Well, duh?

This has some truth, studies show that a certain cutoff before millionaire is where people are happiest (can't remember the # atm). Being able to care for yourself and your family and not have to worry about bills, a home and food are where It's at. When you have a lot of money is when the troubles arise, "The more money we come across the more problems we see!" Of course, having too little is a whole nother bag...
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#85 » by RondoToKG » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:23 pm

Dunno how I feel about just wanting to get rid of him asap. They must know it's pretty bad.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#86 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:56 pm

djFan71 wrote:I don't panic and pay to dump Kemba. I think you try to use his salary, a ton of picks, maybe one of Romeo/Nesmith to get the next disgruntled star. You can't get a superstar with that, but that's roughly the Jrue Holiday type package.

If nothing shakes free this summer, Kemba can come off the bench and slide into the Microwave role. By the deadline next year, worst case he sucks/injured but he's only got 1.5 years on his deal at that point and is very tradeable (along with the picks). We're one of the few top teams that still own all their first round picks, so it's going to be hard to beat a next year's expiring salary ballast, young wing, 2 firsts and 2 swaps package.

You also have the off-chance that he bounces back and stays healthy. I doubt that one, but it's possible. Either way, paying extra assets to dump him doesn't make sense to me. We need to add talent, not just lose salary.

The C's don't have a ton of picks.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#87 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:56 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I personally seek to be a millionaire. I guess we all have dreams.

Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You still put your pants on one leg at a time and get arthritis. Now billionaire, that's a different story.

So the Celtics are looking to trade Kemba Walker? Well, duh?

This has some truth, studies show that a certain cutoff before millionaire is where people are happiest (can't remember the # atm). Being able to care for yourself and your family and not have to worry about bills, a home and food are where It's at. When you have a lot of money is when the troubles arise, "The more money we come across the more problems we see!" Of course, having too little is a whole nother bag...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/26/how-your-salary-and-the-way-you-spend-money-affect-your-happiness.html#:~:text=But%20more%20recently%2C%20a%202018,%24105%2C000%2C%20their%20happiness%20levels%20decreased.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,237

Post#88 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:02 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I don't panic and pay to dump Kemba. I think you try to use his salary, a ton of picks, maybe one of Romeo/Nesmith to get the next disgruntled star. You can't get a superstar with that, but that's roughly the Jrue Holiday type package.

If nothing shakes free this summer, Kemba can come off the bench and slide into the Microwave role. By the deadline next year, worst case he sucks/injured but he's only got 1.5 years on his deal at that point and is very tradeable (along with the picks). We're one of the few top teams that still own all their first round picks, so it's going to be hard to beat a next year's expiring salary ballast, young wing, 2 firsts and 2 swaps package.

You also have the off-chance that he bounces back and stays healthy. I doubt that one, but it's possible. Either way, paying extra assets to dump him doesn't make sense to me. We need to add talent, not just lose salary.

Sure we do. All of our own firsts into the future is a lot more than most contenders have.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#89 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:09 pm

Assuming we can't get any positive value for Kemba, I think the best thing going forward is:
- Keep Kemba for now
- Move him into 6th man role to keep his minutes down
- Have him play every game
- Have his contract get a day shorter every day
- Try again at the deadline to see who's desperate
- Hopefully some of our young guys will also grow their value, and we can package them with Kemba to get a solid starting PG
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#90 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:43 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Kemba needs to be traded for a TPE unless Celtics plan on paying luxury tax this year.

I'm down with that.
Send out Kemba and pick 16, and get a new TPE.

Fournier, probably goes about 20M/yr.

Taking away Brads first rounder the first year on the job would be tuff though. I’d put more money on them moving Smart to free up that space, at least then they could get a asset back.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#91 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:51 am

The parts of our team that I like are:

Smart / Pritchard
Brown / Langford
Tatum / Nesmith
___ / ___
R Williams / ___

Everything else I want gone. And I'll be honest, while I like Langford and Nesmith individually, I think we will ultimately need a second unit shot creator on the wing while neither of those project to be that. So it might have to be an either-or situation unless one of them develops some handles out of no where.

We've been using Smart/Brown/Tatum at the 2/3/4 but I want that kicked down to the 1/2/3. It just makes us more switchable without a small PG that can be targeted.

That means we need some offensive juice at the 4. I can handle an all offense, no defense player there in the mold of Kemba because at least that guy will be tall and teams can't just iso him and shoot over him as easily.

I think we need better bench bigs. If RW can't stay healthy and get better at defense other than shot blocking, he might not even be a long term starter. But I'm banking on that improvement.

I want Smart back because his combination of outstanding defense, size to switch, good passing/playmaking and solid shooting is just a good combo. I know he makes some bone head plays being too aggressive but the overall body of work is good.

I think a mistake we should avoid is chasing a 3rd star. If it happens, great. But we can't gut the roster to get some fringe "star". That's how we ended up with Kemba. Unless it's a REAL star, go for a deep team instead. Get good, well fitting players around Brown/Tatum vs an ill fitting guy who you can just get casual fans to call a "Big 3" with a photoshop edit.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be a one year thing to rebuild this team. Kemba doesn't fit and we need to move him to create the flexibility to add those multiple fitting players. But moving him now takes all the assets we need to trade for those guys. You honestly probably need to bite the bullet and wait a year. As an expiring he's easier to move.

I think that's the best long term path honestly.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#92 » by GoGreen » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:15 am

hugepatsfan wrote:We've been using Smart/Brown/Tatum at the 2/3/4 but I want that kicked down to the 1/2/3. It just makes us more switchable without a small PG that can be targeted.

That means we need some offensive juice at the 4.

Yessss. Truth be told, I'm very okay with trading Marcus. But if he's going to stick around, put him at point and force him to facilitate, not chuck. And find that 4. I'm hoping, if we don't trade 16, maybe Garuba could be the answer. Idk but a legit 4 opens things up so damn much.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:54 am

Has anyone said a Kemba, Porizingis, Horford 3-way yet? Probably...

But, let OKC have KP and we get the cost savings an Al instead. No picks, unless OKC sends one to DAL.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#94 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:45 am

djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Sure we do. All of our own firsts into the future is a lot more than most contenders have.

Can't give the 1sts, which aren't expected to be very high, away consecutively--and unlikely to be able to make the highest pick-heavy offer.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#95 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:57 am

djFan71 wrote:Has anyone said a Kemba, Porizingis, Horford 3-way yet? Probably...

But, let OKC have KP and we get the cost savings an Al instead. No picks, unless OKC sends one to DAL.

I do think it will eventually end in a 3 team deal.

Kings
GSW
Chicago
Atlanta
Miami
Spurs
to name a few, would potentially like KP.

How about:
Kemba and Grant Williams to Dallas

KP and Romeo Langford to San Antonio

Demar Derozan s&T and Keldon Johnson to Boston

Smart/Pritchard
Demar/Nesmith
Brown/Johnson
Tatum/Parker
Timelord/Thompson

Can chose on resigning Fournier or not from there.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:57 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Can't give the 1sts, which aren't expected to be very high, away consecutively--and unlikely to be able to make the highest pick-heavy offer.

Of course not, but we have at least the ability to do a Jrue-level package which is what I said originally.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#97 » by Justin33 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,044

Post#98 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:08 pm

Who replaces his smiling ? Good dude but obviously a failure in the court with the current roster.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,144

Post#99 » by Darthlukey » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:59 pm

Justin33 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

All well and good, moving Kemba makes sense for both sides, but assuming we dont want to send out an asset (which is fair enough), is he going to renegotiate his deal or take a huge pay cut in a buyout? If not, its gonna be hard to move him.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#100 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:18 pm

Darthlukey wrote:
Justin33 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

All well and good, moving Kemba makes sense for both sides, but assuming we dont want to send out an asset (which is fair enough), is he going to renegotiate his deal or take a huge pay cut in a buyout? If not, its gonna be hard to move him.

No, they are going to have to compensate someone for taking him and he's not going to cough up part of his contract against his interest. One possibility would be Horford back from the Thunder, but having it come out that Kemba isn't happy with the organization is not good news. That puts all their prized FA/traded-for vets of this era leaving on sour terms: IT, Kyrie, Horford, Hayward and now Kemba. I wonder if that makes it harder for the rest of Danny's team to stay in the front office. Maybe they manage to ship Brad out for a combined coach and GM role in Indy? Then JT can get his preferred coach in Larranaga while the C's do a legit search, including bringing in AA former players working their way up, for a fresh front office. No, I know, Wyc doesn't want that, but maybe the heat will go up for something like that now. (And I still want them to sell a leadership share of ownership to KG and his group.)

Return to Boston Celtics