Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Re: Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT 

Post#381 » by Clemenza » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:22 pm

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Kawhi wants to play in LA, so I'm not too concerned about that. He also could have joined LeBron and AD and chose to lead his own team instead

Except there are a few factors:
1. Kawhi isn't getting any younger
2. Luka isn't in his prime. He is like a young MJ. Taking some playoffs lumps early in the career, but could absolutely break through next year.
3. Because of 1 and 2. Kawhi could see the task of guarding Luka in the future won't be easier. May be time to set-up the next 5 years of the career.
4. No state taxes. That max money goes farther.

I am not saying he is leaving, but Ballmer shouldn't feel comfortable. There could be competitive forces that need to be considered. With the Nets having Irving, Durant and Harden, the future construction of rosters could change.

Nothing in the bag. Kawhi is Kawhi. If he had to score 40 again to get us through this, even more doubts. But 7 guys scored in double figures. THAT'S what he signed up for here--Doc's bunch of no-names who still made the playoffs and gave the Dubs a run. Add another superstar and this was supposed to be easy at least for the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

If I'm Kawhi, at this moment I'd still rather join the Suns or the Dubs if they can squeeze my salary in. This was too damn much work and not all that much fun. Clips are still on Kawhi's probation bigtime. We better do better.

A tough 7 game series happens in the league though and there's times where the #1 guy on the team has to go for 40+.. There's nothing wrong with that plus it's great television, drums up excitement for the league, and furthers the star player's rep. Dame put up 55 and didn't get not one ounce of help and they lost the game and series. Luka, who's super talented, and the offense they've created for him where he keeps the ball in his hands all game long is a huge problem for any team in a seven game series. We'll know more about this in the coming years because as of right now we're the only team that Luka has faced in his first two post seasons of his career. I actually like our chances more against Utah than Dallas as they play more traditional compared to the Mavs. Lue seems to have found his guys and the style of play moving forward so the adjustments should come quicker and more fluidly in the next round. We win this series and finally reach a WCF, I don't see Kawhi leaving.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#382 » by og15 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:52 pm

What a finish to the series.

Definitely can't say Lue doesn't make adjustments. Beverley out of the rotation, Zu limited minutes, cut Rondo's minutes after ineffectiveness. Putting Man back into the rotation. A Kennard sighting for games 6 and 7 which paid off.

Sticking with Marcus Morris paid off too, what a game by him, he showed why he was a 47% 3PT shooter during the regular season.

Kawhi was great. PG managed his poor field shooting have by impacting the game as a playmaker, getting to the line (10/10) and contributing on the glass and defensively.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#383 » by og15 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:54 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Two things could help the Clippers against Utah- 1) The Jazz are hopefully rusty in game 1. 2) Conley apparently has a hamstring injury- he always plays like a first team all NBA player against the Clippers for whatever reason- Ingles does too, so I'm worried about him

Conley played in the playoffs with a broken face. I don't think a hamstring is going to hold him back unless it is serious.

I think Mann is going to play a big role in the next series. He is going to need to take on the task of shutting down Clarkson. Rondo and Beverley are going to need to spend most of their energy on Conley and Mtchell.

We are going to need all hands on deck the entire series. The role players need to step up right from Game 1.

he is tough as nails- for sure. However, you can run with a broken face, not so much with a pulled hamstring

Broken face, can even try and pull off a finger on the off hand, but lower body injuries, those are tougher. Hamstring, well, they are mild until they aren't, and they can get re-injured, (Chris Paul 2015, James Harden this season etc), so have to always take care.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#384 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:57 pm

og15 wrote:What a finish to the series.

Definitely can't say Lue doesn't make adjustments. Beverley out of the rotation, Zu limited minutes, cut Rondo's minutes after ineffectiveness. Putting Man back into the rotation. A Kennard sighting for games 6 and 7 which paid off.

Sticking with Marcus Morris paid off too, what a game by him, he showed why he was a 47% 3PT shooter during the regular season.

Kawhi was great. PG managed his poor field shooting have by impacting the game as a playmaker, getting to the line (10/10) and contributing on the glass and defensively.

Took guts to bench these guys. They have accomplishments in this league and, more than likely, egoes.

They will get other opportunities in this upcoming series but for now, right on Ty Lue for making those tough decisions. I don't think those tough decisions were being made before Lue took over.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#385 » by og15 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:03 pm

RingColluder wrote:I can see Kawhi going to Miami, but other than that very tough to see any viable destinations. The most minor of chances he goes to New York if they can swing a deal for a legitimate superstar but very unlikely. Would have to be a blockbuster deal.

Unless we get swept next round he'll probably do another 1+1 lmaooo. But had we lost this series he was leaving.

If we make it to the WCF I think he stays long term. It'd be a mistake to do anything long term given some of these awful contracts we have, but he likes Cali so better for us then.

It's possible Kawhi took a 1+1 if not primarily, at least in part due to the tiers of max contracts. This is Kawhi's 10th season. Players become eligible for the highest tier max after 10+ years of service.

By signing a 1+1 he assures himself the largest yearly salary possible and highest possible career earnings. It is unlikely for a player of his stature approaching 10+ years to take a long salary and lose out on the higher yearly salary. It's usually only lesser tier players that will do that as to not take a chance.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#386 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:37 pm

People talking about Kawhi leaving or staying with great authority.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 524

Post#387 » by Kelphus » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:36 pm

NickP wrote:People talking about Kawhi leaving or staying with great authority.

Exactly! :D :)
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#388 » by esqtvd » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:38 pm

Two humiliations in a row? I think if the rest of the team didn't show up for this Game 7 [like last year], the escape hatch was definitely in play.

Less likely now, but anything less than a very strong showing vs Utah would still complicate the picture. Kawhi turns 30 in June and does not have a young man's body. The future is now and Steph Curry is just an hour away by air.

The acquisition of Leonard would alleviate any such question marks. Providing full health, there’s no doubt a core of Curry, Thompson, Leonard and Green would challenge for the NBA title.

https://bluemanhoop.com/2021/04/14/golden-state-warriors-could-land-kawhi-leonard/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#389 » by esqtvd » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:54 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:

Took guts to bench these guys. They have accomplishments in this league and, more than likely, egoes.

They will get other opportunities in this upcoming series but for now, right on Ty Lue for making those tough decisions. I don't think those tough decisions were being made before Lue took over.

Great moves by Ty but he had 11 options to choose from. Last year didn't. JaMychal and Shamet averaged over 35 [mediocre] minutes combined and both were kicked to the curb by the FO. And of course, if this year's Game 7 Kawhi and PG had shown up for Game 7 last year, we're not even having this conversation.

Mercy. On to Utah, with hopefully a better team than last year's. Add in Bev, who might be healthier and of help against Mitchell and Conley, Zubac a better matchup with Gobert than vs the Mavs, and Rondo hopefully more effective, and Ty still has options. Maybe even some Ibaka or Boogie lol.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#390 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:53 pm

Wait. I thought PG sucked regardless of what he did. Now, I am confused. Guess I need the resident PG expert to weigh in.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#391 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:01 pm

one thing i appreciated about pg this series was how he majorly stepped out on rebounding.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#392 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:03 pm

og15 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Conley played in the playoffs with a broken face. I don't think a hamstring is going to hold him back unless it is serious.

I think Mann is going to play a big role in the next series. He is going to need to take on the task of shutting down Clarkson. Rondo and Beverley are going to need to spend most of their energy on Conley and Mtchell.

We are going to need all hands on deck the entire series. The role players need to step up right from Game 1.

he is tough as nails- for sure. However, you can run with a broken face, not so much with a pulled hamstring

Broken face, can even try and pull off a finger on the off hand, but lower body injuries, those are tougher. Hamstring, well, they are mild until they aren't, and they can get re-injured, (Chris Paul 2015, James Harden this season etc), so have to always take care.

Sure in most cases, but Conley's face injury was very severe. He probably should have even been out the rest of the playoffs. No way he could really drive to the paint and afford to take contact. He was just a tough SOB, so I don't think a minor hamstring strain is going to stop him. It will have to be a major hamstring injury.

Here is a good article on the face injury:

https://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/14/mike-conley-injury-grizzlies-nba-playoffs-blazers-warriors-cj-mccollum
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#393 » by Clemenza » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:43 am

esqtvd wrote:

Two humiliations in a row? I think if the rest of the team didn't show up for this Game 7 [like last year], the escape hatch was definitely in play.

Less likely now, but anything less than a very strong showing vs Utah would still complicate the picture. Kawhi turns 30 in June and does not have a young man's body. The future is now and Steph Curry is just an hour away by

The acquisition of Leonard would alleviate any such question marks. Providing full health, there’s no doubt a core of Curry, Thompson, Leonard and Green would challenge for the NBA title.

https://bluemanhoop.com/2021/04/14/golden-state-warriors-could-land-kawhi-leonard/

You want that man to leave badly don't you?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#394 » by og15 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:53 am

clipperlover wrote:

Wait. I thought PG sucked regardless of what he did. Now, I am confused. Guess I need the resident PG expert to weigh in.

Now, now, let's not invite the wildness please

clipperlover wrote:
og15 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:he is tough as nails- for sure. However, you can run with a broken face, not so much with a pulled hamstring

Sure in most cases, but Conley's face injury was very severe. He probably should have even been out the rest of the playoffs. No way he could really drive to the paint and afford to take contact. He was just a tough SOB, so I don't think a minor hamstring strain is going to stop him. It will have to be a major hamstring injury.

Here is a good article on the face injury:

https://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/14/mike-conley-injury-grizzlies-nba-playoffs-blazers-warriors-cj-mccollum
Yea, if it is mild, he should be fine.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#395 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:41 am

nickhx2 wrote:one thing i appreciated about pg this series was how he majorly stepped out on rebounding.

I was pretty good with his overall play. He had some turnovers, but we can't ask him to be aggressive without ever risking turning the ball over (not that he can't improve decision-making.) He made some nice defensive plays here and there as well.

If he had shot better from 3, just closer to his season average, I think we'd definitely be pleased with him overall.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#396 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:13 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Less likely now, but anything less than a very strong showing vs Utah would still complicate the picture. Kawhi turns 30 in June and does not have a young man's body. The future is now and Steph Curry is just an hour away by

You want that man to leave badly don't you?

Why would you draw that conclusion?

I do think its ironic that some of the same people who had us BURIED at 0-2 [and I didn't lol] and on the verge of an even bigger humiliation than last year--down 19 points in Game 3--NOW seem to think there's nothing to worry about simply because we managed to put together our first decent team game of the playoffs.

I'm hopeful we've turned the corner, but if Marcus had gone 1-10 in Game 7 like he did in Game 6, or if Kennard didn't miraculously pull 11 points out of his ass, this conversation is completely different. I don't think people appreciate how close a thing this was--and still is.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#397 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:48 am

It's nip and tuck every series, for as long as we last. We have a shot in every series, the only one where I'll feel like a big underdog is a healthy Brooklyn team.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#398 » by donemilio21 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:56 am

Read on Twitter

:o :o
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#399 » by donemilio21 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:58 am

madmaxmedia wrote:It's nip and tuck every series, for as long as we last. We have a shot in every series, the only one where I'll feel like a big underdog is a healthy Brooklyn team.

Nets are steamrolling into the finals without Harden.
I am only thinking Utah series to be honest. No need to think that far ahead :D
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#400 » by NippySudz » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:21 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Except there are a few factors:
1. Kawhi isn't getting any younger
2. Luka isn't in his prime. He is like a young MJ. Taking some playoffs lumps early in the career, but could absolutely break through next year.
3. Because of 1 and 2. Kawhi could see the task of guarding Luka in the future won't be easier. May be time to set-up the next 5 years of the career.
4. No state taxes. That max money goes farther.

I am not saying he is leaving, but Ballmer shouldn't feel comfortable. There could be competitive forces that need to be considered. With the Nets having Irving, Durant and Harden, the future construction of rosters could change.

Lol You think Kawhi wants to go back to Texas? Sh-t. I'd see Kawhi going to the lakers before I see him going to Dallas. Even though Luka is a stud, Kawhi looks like the type to me that likes competition. Otherwise, he would have joined the lakers with AD and LeBron when it was time to join them. Now LeBron is looking sort of a shell of himself. Kawhi would be the guy, AD would be the second dude and LeBron the third guy. I can see him using the lakers as leverage and aslo Miami. Dallas, I can't see at all.

The Lakers don't have cap space, do they?
You're right they don't. I forgot about that

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Return to Los Angeles Clippers