Historic player most resembling Luka

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Re: Historic player most resembling Luka 

Post#21 » by falcolombardi » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:19 pm

Jaivl wrote:Harden, yeah. Don't say that to european fans, though!

europeas fans hate/sleep on harden thar much?

a bigger harden is an amazing prospect
FC93
Sophomore
And1: 120

Post#22 » by FC93 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:33 pm

None, really. At times he's made me think of Kobe because his scoring game is so versatile; it feels like he can score from anywhere. His 3s are better than Kobe while his finishing isn't quite as good but he generally feels like a threat to score wherever he is on the court. On the other hand, Luka is a much more willing and better passer, but has basically no off-ball game. Even so, the comparison seems better to me than Harden because Harden's scoring game is not versatile at all (nor is his passing game really), and that seems more important to me than being stationary off-ball when making comparisons.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 3,947

Post#23 » by dygaction » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:11 pm

P Pierce adding on Harden's skills?
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Post#24 » by ZeppelinPage » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:15 pm

Does have some similarities to James Harden.

But my favorite comparison, in terms of player archetype: Bob Cousy!
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#25 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:45 pm

Dejan Bodiroga?
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,082

Post#26 » by Outside » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:05 pm

I'd say we're too stuck in the moment, in trying to compare Luka to other players based on how he plays now with a limited Mavs roster. I'm more interested in who Luka will become when (if?) he gets a top-tier teammate or two. I'm hoping that high-usage Luka isn't what he's always going to be, because I see that as limiting his potential. I think he can absolutely be part of a truly great team, not just a great player who always goes out in the first or second round. I don't want him to be the second coming of Tracy McGrady.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#27 » by G35 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:03 am

I would say a modern version of Pistol Pete.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#28 » by Pelly24 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:21 am

He reminds me of a super saiyan manu w. Kobe's improvisation in the midrange. Gotta mix players to get him.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#29 » by Gooner » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:52 am

Harden.
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Post#30 » by TurinTurambar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:09 pm

Goudelock wrote:
70sFan wrote:You won't find anyone like him. He's not nearly as good passer as Magic, but his scoring repertoire is bigger and he's more scoring-focused. He's not LeBron, because he relies on footwork and jumpshot because he's not as athletic as James. He's better ball-handler than Bird but he doesn't play off-ball. He has much more varied scoring game inside the three point line than Harden.

Luka is Luka and I can't think about anyone playing like him.

What about a bizarre mix of Kobe and Magic? Not as great of a passer as Magic but still a floor general who is as big as many PFs but still controls pace like a smaller guard. And Kobe (as an on-ball scorer) because he's comfortable taking any shot, even if sometimes they're stupid shots. Also has great footwork and knows how to use his strength like older Kobe when carving out space in the midrange.

BTW I'm not saying Luka Doncic is as good as those two combined, I'm just saying that he has lots of elements of both in his game.

Weirdly enough I think this is the most apt comp I've heard for Luka yet.
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 576

Post#31 » by CumberlandPosey » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:33 pm

joe ingles but better in every aspect.yes there you heard it---historic player jinglin joe !!!
longtallbrad
Junior
And1: 257

Post#32 » by longtallbrad » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:48 pm

70sFan wrote:
Max123 wrote:People who’ve watched more Oscar Robertson: How does his game compare to Doncic?

Considering of course the vast amount of evolution the game has gone through since the 60s.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Oscar was far more disciplined player than Luka and he didn't have the same flair.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that their games are particularly alike. Where I do see some similarity is in their early career impact, role, and opportunity (that is, to compete with a limited supporting cast).
longtallbrad
Junior

Post#33 » by longtallbrad » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:50 pm

ZeppelinPage wrote:Does have some similarities to James Harden.

I think I agree, but say more about that.
longtallbrad
Junior

Post#34 » by longtallbrad » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:53 pm

G35 wrote:I would say a modern version of Pistol Pete.....

Ah, interesting. Yes, in that both were kind of sensational novelty acts. I think Luka has a better opportunity to develop as a leader and serve as the centerpiece of a contender. I'm no expert on Maravich but my hunch is that Luka has improved much more than Maravich did in his first three years. I have hopes for a higher ceiling and healthier relationship with the game.
SNPA
Head Coach
And1: 7,142

Post#35 » by SNPA » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:53 am

Texas Chuck wrote:He's too unique to just say Harden or whomever. Harden is clinical precision just spamming the same things over and over because he's spent time in his lab perfecting every element of his game. You know what's coming but you cannot stop it. Luka is much more lyrical. Much more improvisational.

This is a good post.

The Bezos of Hedo’s.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#36 » by BoutPractice » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:29 pm

Honestly I would say LeBron when they had similar NBA experience - not perfect but it's the closest comparison I can think of.

Both "prodigies" who exceed already high expectations
Both high usage, tall, big lead ballhandlers who can destroy teams all by themselves with their scoring and passing
Both lift somewhat mediocre teams with no real second option to decent playoff showings in spite of their young age
Both generate excitement as well as controversy
They even have similar raw statlines thus far

Maybe add a sprinkle of Manu for the creativity/unpredictability, old man moves, and the transition from youthful Euroleague greatness to the NBA
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#37 » by No-more-rings » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:33 pm

BoutPractice wrote:Both generate excitement as well as controversy

What controversy has Luka been a part of?
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Post#38 » by ZeppelinPage » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 am

longtallbrad wrote:
ZeppelinPage wrote:Does have some similarities to James Harden.

I think I agree, but say more about that.

Sure thing.

I view Cousy and Doncic as the same archetype of player--in that they take on a heavy scoring load in order to free up shots and generate offense for teammates, allowing them to utilize their vision. So, while their efficiency does end up suffering because of this, their impact on offense for teammates is enormous: Doncic led a +6.1 relORtg team last season, that was clearly lacking in talent; while Cousy's '54 Celtics had the highest relORtg of all-time until the '67 76ers.

Looking over their stats, the two are comparable in TS+ and FTr (although this year Doncic took more shots outside the rim, which Cousy did when Russell joined and had less success with than Doncic.)

Due to differences in era, there are certain distinctions between the two in how they play. I would say Doncic is the better overall shooter and shot creator between the two. Even with his 80%+ free throw, Cousy wasn't regarded as a great shooter--in his prime he was more of a slasher, with his quickness and dribbling ability allowing him to create gravity and pass off. Doncic seems a little more versatile in how he scores and the ways in which he creates his own shot. Like Doncic, more of Cousy's shots made were unassisted, based on accounts of his playstyle and game footage I've tracked. Doncic obviously takes this style of play into overdrive because of the era he plays in--but Cousy was still taking quite a bit of unassisted shots for the era. I do believe one can argue that the rules of Cousy's era were more limiting for a guard, especially one with his skill set (dribbling rules, defenders more physical, no 3-point line).

In my eyes, Doncic has the advantages in scoring as well as the height that allow him to pressure the defense in a variety of ways. With that being said, what Cousy might lack compared to Doncic, he more than makes up for in his generational passing ability. He hits passes very few in NBA history can, and for what it's worth he has minimal turnover numbers in footage I've tracked (both part games and full games). This would seem to line up with Cousy's analysis of his game in Tall Tales by Terry Pluto:

There was a reason for those spectacular plays. Ninety percent of my game was conservative. I've been associated with the unorthodox because I was the only one doing it, so those few times a game when I did go behind my back, it really stood out. That kind of pass also was the best pass in that situation. I get annoyed when I watch a game and see a guy dribbling the ball through his legs for no reason other than to do it.

Basically, the two are very similar in how they impact and lift an offense because they take a high volume of unassisted, difficult shots that force the other team into guarding them and sending pressure. With the amount of shots they take, both are scoring threats to a defense. While this hurts their efficiency, it allows them to better use their passing ability to generate points for the team and ultimately provides a big boost to the offense--making the trade off in efficiency more than worth it. For this archetype of player, Cousy is more of a passer, while Doncic is more of a scorer.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,264

Post#39 » by prolific passer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 am

Regular season comp. Lebron
Playoff comp. 67 and 68 Wilt due to his poor ft shooting. :P
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,250

Post#40 » by JRoy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:He's not that similar to any goat candidates, but out of past historical players he has a good amount of things in common with Brandon Roy.

Like a bigger, better Brandon Roy.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Player Comparisons