ImageImageImage

Playoffs 20/21 - G7 - Mavs @ Clippers (Sund, 3:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G7 - Mavs @ Clippers (Sund, 3:30PM EST) 

Post#181 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:51 am

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Best case scenario for us and KP. He really needs to go can go to a team where he can get his numbers.

I can repeat that question above? If this is the best scenario for the Mavs, who is it that you can realistically get from a third-tier team? I kinda thought Mavs were in a compete now mode...

If he cannot play D anymore, and it looks he cannot, he must be traded even to just free cap space. Then you can get solid defensive C and solid guard or shooter for that money.

Can you name any current solid defensive C's or shooters available and matching salaries, who will be available? Especially the bigs. Keeping in mind that Luka will sign his extension this summer, so the salary cap also is an issue. And as far as C's are concerned you need a guy who will not clog the paint on O. Any guys like that around? Mavs are basically stuck with KP, because you cannot trade him right now and if/when he starts to play better and fit better with Luka you will not want to trade him. Tough situation.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#182 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:03 am

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:I can repeat that question above? If this is the best scenario for the Mavs, who is it that you can realistically get from a third-tier team? I kinda thought Mavs were in a compete now mode...

If he cannot play D anymore, and it looks he cannot, he must be traded even to just free cap space. Then you can get solid defensive C and solid guard or shooter for that money.

Can you name any current solid defensive C's or shooters available and matching salaries, who will be available? Especially the bigs. Keeping in mind that Luka will sign his extension this summer, so the salary cap also is an issue. And as far as C's are concerned you need a guy who will not clog the paint on O. Any guys like that around? Mavs are basically stuck with KP, because you cannot trade him right now and if/when he starts to play better and fit better with Luka you will not want to trade him. Tough situation.

Richaun Holmes is FA and getting 5mio. Then you have Norman Powell. Ricky might be available. Point is that KP is not worth much, if he cannot play D, especially not in Mavs.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#183 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:21 am

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Richaun Holmes is FA and getting 5mio. Then you have Norman Powell. Ricky might be available. Point is that KP is not worth much, if he cannot play D, especially not in Mavs.

How any of those are a salary match? A salary match is kinda important in trades, right? :D Holmes is OK, you just pick him up, it is not a trade. And Norman Powell (10.7 m a year) stunk these POs to be frank. Did not meet the expectations the Blazers had in him. A first round exit with Powell not moving a needle that the Blazers hoped for. The only trade I can theoretically think of that would sort of fit salarywise involves the Bulls and Pels with Markanen ending up on the Mavs as a result. Which is a lateral move. And I am being generous here.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#184 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:23 am

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:Can you name any current solid defensive C's or shooters available and matching salaries, who will be available? Especially the bigs. Keeping in mind that Luka will sign his extension this summer, so the salary cap also is an issue. And as far as C's are concerned you need a guy who will not clog the paint on O. Any guys like that around? Mavs are basically stuck with KP, because you cannot trade him right now and if/when he starts to play better and fit better with Luka you will not want to trade him. Tough situation.

How any of those are a salary match? A salary match is kinda important, right? And Norman Powell (10.7 m a year) stunk these POs to be frank. Did not meet the expectations the Blazers had in him.

I said, if necessary, dump KP for expiring, and then sign those players. KP will never work in Mavs unless he starts to play good D again, after all those injuries that doesn't look very realistic. People are talking how Luka and KP don't work in offense, they work even less in D.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#185 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:42 am

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

How any of those are a salary match? A salary match is kinda important, right? And Norman Powell (10.7 m a year) stunk these POs to be frank. Did not meet the expectations the Blazers had in him.

I said, if necessary, dump KP for expiring, and then sign those players. KP will never work in Mavs unless he starts to play good D again, after all those injuries that doesn't look very realistic. People are talking how Luka and KP don't work in offense, they work even less in D.

No star player will ever work on the Mavs unless Luka shares a couple of balls and attention with him. This is basically a given. An expiring is an option, OK, who would be that though? You need to find a team willing to take KP for the rest of his contract. Are there any rebuilding teams who want a 100m remaining player on their payroll? And don't get me started on D. Luka plays D occasionally, mostly never, but it kinda gets a pass. Until Mavs get solid 3 and D players this team is a first round exit.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#186 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:53 am

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:How any of those are a salary match? A salary match is kinda important, right? And Norman Powell (10.7 m a year) stunk these POs to be frank. Did not meet the expectations the Blazers had in him.

No star player will ever work on the Mavs unless Luka shares a couple of balls and attention with him. This is basically a given. An expiring is an option, OK, who would be that though? You need to find a team willing to take KP for the rest of his contract. Are there any rebuilding teams who want a 100m remaining player on their payroll? And don't get me started on D. Luka plays D occasionally, mostly never, but it kinda gets a pass. Until Mavs get solid 3 and D players this team is a first round exit.

Who is talking about stars? You need defensive C, who are pretty cheap nowdays, backup PG and some shooters, Bogdanovic would have been perfect, Hield and Powell look to be ok too.

My point is totally different, because Luka is bad in D, he cannot be paired with bad defensive C. Luka gets a pass, because he was averaging 36/8/10 in playoffs, with great 3-points shooting. Expectations for 7'3 C is a bit higher in D. KP and Luka looked as a great fit, if KP was rim protector. A rim protector that can space the floor is perfect. Now you need 7'4 giant to play alongside KP, all spacing gone, and KP standing in the corner.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#187 » by agentofatlas » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:54 am

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:How any of those are a salary match? A salary match is kinda important, right? And Norman Powell (10.7 m a year) stunk these POs to be frank. Did not meet the expectations the Blazers had in him.

Compared to KP, Luka does get a pass cause his production outpaces both his salary and expectations. As for him sharing the ball with another star, we will see when Dallas happens to get one cause KP is not it. Trading KP will hurt cause he's pretty much a negative asset at this point but then again maybe the Mavs need to take a step back in order to improve the team.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#188 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:42 am

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Who is talking about stars? You need defensive C, who are pretty cheap nowdays, backup PG and some shooters, Bogdanovic would have been perfect, Hield and Powell look to be ok too.

My point is totally different, because Luka is bad in D, he cannot be paired with bad defensive C. Luka gets a pass, because he was averaging 36/8/10 in playoffs, with great 3-points shooting. Expectations for 7'3 C is a bit higher in D. KP and Luka looked as a great fit, if KP was rim protector. A rim protector that can space the floor is perfect. Now you need 7'4 giant to play alongside KP, all spacing gone, and KP standing in the corner.

You think KP decided to put himself in the corner? Really? This was actually the part why they lost the series
Bob8
General Manager

Post#189 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:50 am

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:No star player will ever work on the Mavs unless Luka shares a couple of balls and attention with him. This is basically a given. An expiring is an option, OK, who would be that though? You need to find a team willing to take KP for the rest of his contract. Are there any rebuilding teams who want a 100m remaining player on their payroll? And don't get me started on D. Luka plays D occasionally, mostly never, but it kinda gets a pass. Until Mavs get solid 3 and D players this team is a first round exit.

You think KP decided to put himself in the corner? Really? This was actually the part why they lost the series

His inability to provide any kind of rim protection put him there. RC had to play Boban. Would you rather put Boban in the corner?
MrOrange
Senior

Post#190 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:58 am

agentofatlas wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Compared to KP, Luka does get a pass cause his production outpaces both his salary and expectations. As for him sharing the ball with another star, we will see when Dallas happens to get one cause KP is not it. Trading KP will hurt cause he's pretty much a negative asset at this point but then again maybe the Mavs need to take a step back in order to improve the team.

Luka is always in the "win-now mode" . This is what drives him, makes him great but also vulnerable. I don't this Luka is the kind of guy who is ready to wait 4-5 years to be a contender. What is also slighted on this board that Luka is one ankle injury away from a major negative impact on the team. Do you actually realize his history with ankle injuries in Europe? There are at least 5, including Slovenia - Spain ECh finals. And my conclusion (among others) is that the team has forgotten how to play without Luka. Brunson looked like a deer in headlights. No team can rely on one man to win a ring.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#191 » by agentofatlas » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:10 am

MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
MrOrange wrote:No star player will ever work on the Mavs unless Luka shares a couple of balls and attention with him. This is basically a given. An expiring is an option, OK, who would be that though? You need to find a team willing to take KP for the rest of his contract. Are there any rebuilding teams who want a 100m remaining player on their payroll? And don't get me started on D. Luka plays D occasionally, mostly never, but it kinda gets a pass. Until Mavs get solid 3 and D players this team is a first round exit.

Luka is always in the "win-now mode" . This is what drives him, makes him great but also vulnerable. I don't this Luka is the kind of guy who is ready to wait 4-5 years to be a contender. What is also slighted on this board that Luka is one ankle injury away from a major negative impact on the team. Do you actually realize his history with ankle injuries in Europe? There are at least 5, including Slovenia - Spain ECh finals. And my conclusion (among others) is that the team has forgotten how to play without Luka. Brunson looked like a deer in headlights. No team can rely on one man to win a ring.

Whose talking about 4-5 years from now? KP's salary is a drag that drowns any potential moves toward the future. I was open to keeping him at first but the more I dive into the numbers the more I'm convinced he needs to be moved. He's just not good enough. He average on offense, below average in defense and he cannot play the required games needed out of him. Honestly, Rick played him as he really is, as a roleplayer. The team cannot afford a roleplayer with a bad attitude.

The best thing for KP right now is get in to a team that will let him go crazy on offense and get numbers cause if he doesn't get that then this might be his last big payday in the NBA.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#192 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:12 am

MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

What ankle injuries in Europe? He had only few mild sprains. He missed only few games in all his European career. He didn't sprained his ancle against Spain, but against Serbia and he played for Real 10 days later. Luka played more or less non stop before the draft, something around 160 games in 2 seasons, missing only few games in that period.

KP averaging 16 shots per game, would have been enough to win a ring, if he was elite rim protector. People always talking about KP's problems in offense, but his D is far more problematic. Pippen was averaging only 16 shots for the Bulls, but he was essential because all the work he has done in D.

Luka playing like he was in this playoffs only needs better defenders beside him. KP, Boban, THJ are all below average, like Luka. It's difficult to win with 4 bad defenders starting. Replace KP with defensive C, you have no need to play Boban and D would have looked totally different.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#193 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:34 am

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

What ankle injuries in Europe? He had only few mild sprains. He missed only few games in all his European career. He didn't sprained his ancle against Spain, but against Serbia and he played for Real 10 days later. Luka played more or less non stop before the draft, something around 160 games in 2 seasons, missing only few games in that period.

KP averaging 16 shots per game, would have been enough to win a ring, if he was elite rim protector. People always talking about KP's problems in offense, but his D is far more problematic. Pippen was averaging only 16 shots for the Bulls, but he was essential because all the work he has done in D.
Luka playing like he was in this playoffs only needs better defenders beside him. KP, Boban, THJ are all below average, like Luka. It's difficult to win with 4 bad defenders starting. Replace KP with defensive C, you have no need to play Boban and D would have looked totally different.

No big in this league is responsible for his own shots. This is not how basketball is being played these days. Luka's injury against Spain: judge yourself: . Dragic won their championship. You can also find via this game links like Latvia vs Montenegro whoever wants Vucevic on the team :) ;ab_channel=FIBA-TheBasketballChannel
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#194 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:48 am

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

I dont think Cuban is ready to replace KP yet. Not for next season at least. Doing so essentially means Cuban gets a chunk of cash and flushes it down the toilet. Because Mavs will not get equal value if they send him out now. Maybe if KP were to play better and raise his trade value. It's always buy low, sell high.

Fans will have to accept the fact that it looks like Carlisle, Donnie and KP will all be back for 2022.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#195 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:49 am

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:Luka is always in the "win-now mode" . This is what drives him, makes him great but also vulnerable. I don't this Luka is the kind of guy who is ready to wait 4-5 years to be a contender. What is also slighted on this board that Luka is one ankle injury away from a major negative impact on the team. Do you actually realize his history with ankle injuries in Europe? There are at least 5, including Slovenia - Spain ECh finals. And my conclusion (among others) is that the team has forgotten how to play without Luka. Brunson looked like a deer in headlights. No team can rely on one man to win a ring.

No big in this league is responsible for his own shots. This is not how basketball is being played these days. Luka's injury against Spain: judge yourself: . Dragic won their championship. You can also find via this game links like Latvia vs Montenegro whoever wants Vucevic on the team :) ;ab_channel=FIBA-TheBasketballChannel

And 7'3 bigs normally know how to play in the post and are at least decent rim protectors.

Luka injured his ankle in the final against Serbia. They played Spain in the semifinals.

Luka was 18 years old In Eurobasket, so it's normal that Dragic in his prime was a leader.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#196 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:55 am

Bob8 wrote:
And 7'3 bigs normally know how to play in the post and are at least decent rim protectors.

Luka injured his ankle in the final against Serbia.

Luka was 18 years old In Eurobasket, so it's normal that Dragic in his prime was a leader.

Carlisle's game plan was a 5-out offense. Everyone was instructed to stand outside so Luka can run around inside improvising. This is where coaching, or lack thereof, is apparent. If spot up shooting was key, the only one of KP, DFS and Kleber needed to be on the floor at any given time. The others can just be plain defenders.

All three of KP, DFS and Kleber had the same task on offense. Which is to just stand outside and wait for a pass. That's just redundant. I'd actually experiment on having KP play PF next year as long as you can get a bigger SF like Covington and a C like Holmes. That way Covington can switch on to SF or PF on defense covering for KP's slower lateral movements.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#197 » by MrOrange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:03 pm

Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

And? What's your point 1) Stop pretending that LD is some kind of messiah and 2) Mavs would do a big favour to KP and to Latvian basketball fans if they actually traded KP. We actually beg for that :)

Luka injured his ankle in the final against Serbia. They played Spain in the semifinals.

Bob8
General Manager

Post#198 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:03 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Carlisle's game plan was a 5-out offense. Everyone was instructed to stand outside so Luka can run around inside improvising. This is where coaching, or lack thereof, is apparent. If spot up shooting was key, the only one of KP, DFS and Kleber needed to be on the floor at any given time. The others can just be plain defenders.

All three of KP, DFS and Kleber had the same task on offense. Which is to just stand outside and wait for a pass. That's just redundant. I'd actually experiment on having KP play PF next year as long as you can get a bigger SF like Covington and a C like Holmes. That way Covington can switch on to SF or PF on defense covering for KP's slower lateral movements.

I didn't see no problem with Luka feeding Boban or Powell and I didn't see KP playing differently, when Luka was not playing. I have never seen KP attacking smaller defender. His only move is shooting over them. Saying that, his offense might be salvageable, but KP without D is unless for Mavs.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#199 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:07 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I didn't see no problem with Luka feeding Boban or Powell and I didn't see KP playing differently, when Luka was not playing. I have never seen KP attacking smaller defender. His only move is shooting over them. Saying that, his offense might be salvageable, but KP without D is unless for Mavs.

I guess Carlisle needs to be more creative in squeezing more out of KP next season. That's still a $100M investment and I'm pretty sure Cuban doesn't want to flush that down the drain just yet. I feel like he will give it one more year to see where it goes. He's not getting equal value anyway, so why rush to send him out? At this point, Dallas has to incentivize Boston to take KP for Walker. Imagine adding a first round pick to KP just to get 31 year old Kemba Walker.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#200 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:07 pm

MrOrange wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:No big in this league is responsible for his own shots. This is not how basketball is being played these days. Luka's injury against Spain: judge yourself: . Dragic won their championship. You can also find via this game links like Latvia vs Montenegro whoever wants Vucevic on the team :) ;ab_channel=FIBA-TheBasketballChannel

And? What's your point 1) Stop pretending that LD is some kind of messiah and 2) Mavs would do a big favour to KP and to Latvian basketball fans if they actually traded KP. We actually beg for that :)

Than we agree at least on something. Mavs and KP will be better off. KP should enjoy being star in Detroit for example. ;)

Return to Dallas Mavericks