ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,607

Re: BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways 

Post#221 » by RookieStar » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:41 pm

You guys really pushing for Juwan and Penny? Former Magic players now doing work in the NCAA?

Well if you consider them, why not consider this savio...eerrr i mean guy who is also in the NCAA and former Magician

https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/travis-diener/30
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#222 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:09 pm

tiderulz wrote:
The Effect wrote: :cry:

There goes my #2 choice. Hopefully Juwan Howard doesnt feel the same about leaving michigan

why would they leave? Top college coaches making just as much as pro's, the top players come to you. many times there are more fans of your school than fans of an NBA franchise. he has 2 kids, 1 playing for Howard already and the other has multiple D1 offers, very good chance he plays for his dad also. Howard isnt coming to Orlando, at least not anytime soon

I dont know about that, i mean howard was making just over 2m a year at michigan (4 year 11m) where as Clifford was making almost double that (4 year 15m), also howard has wanted to be an NBA coach in the past

I agree its most likely not even an option, but i dont think he'd turn it down if offered
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#223 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:15 pm

RookieStar wrote:You guys really pushing for Juwan and Penny? Former Magic players now doing work in the NCAA?

Well if you consider them, why not consider this savio...eerrr i mean guy who is also in the NCAA and former Magician

hes not a head coach?

As for Howard, hes a former player, has turned michigan around and even had them as a 1 seed and made the elite 8 this year, he has a good relationship with his players, not to mention hes spent 6 years on the heats bench learning from Spo

Not sure what kind of credentials youre looking for as far as a head coach, but unless youre looking for a retread, not sure what more youd want from a HC for a rebuilding team
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,206

Post#224 » by thelead » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:28 pm

I'm feeling very apathetic here. I will wait to see who is hired before throwing a party.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#225 » by RookieStar » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:42 pm

The Effect wrote:
RookieStar wrote:You guys really pushing for Juwan and Penny? Former Magic players now doing work in the NCAA?

hes not a head coach?

As for Howard, hes a former player, has turned michigan around and even had them as a 1 seed and made the elite 8 this year, he has a good relationship with his players, not to mention hes spent 6 years on the heats bench learning from Spo

Not sure what kind of credentials youre looking for as far as a head coach, but unless youre looking for a retread, not sure what more youd want from a HC for a rebuilding team

Tsk tsk a non-believer. LOL

I was just kidding about my ncaa choice. As for my preference, I already posted my criteria, I dunno who fits that bill
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#226 » by tiderulz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:46 pm

The Effect wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

There goes my #2 choice. Hopefully Juwan Howard doesnt feel the same about leaving michigan

why would they leave? Top college coaches making just as much as pro's, the top players come to you. many times there are more fans of your school than fans of an NBA franchise. he has 2 kids, 1 playing for Howard already and the other has multiple D1 offers, very good chance he plays for his dad also. Howard isnt coming to Orlando, at least not anytime soon

I dont know about that, i mean howard was making just over 2m a year at michigan (4 year 11m) where as Clifford was making almost double that (4 year 15m), also howard has wanted to be an NBA coach in the past

I agree its most likely not even an option, but i dont think he'd turn it down if offered

he isnt leaving right now, when he is currently coaching his sons. might as well just accept it now. some of you arent parents and it show. he isnt leaving his sons
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#227 » by Horcy » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:03 am

Hahahahaj WTFF man!!! My brain completely erased Travis Diener from my memories hahahahah WTF LOL
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 453

Post#228 » by uraverage » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:19 am

Didn't Mike Miller coach a G league team? Was he any good?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#229 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:47 am

Horcy wrote:

Hahahahaj WTFF man!!! My brain completely erased Travis Diener from my memories hahahahah WTF LOL

lol shame on you. Am i the only one still left lighting the torch at his temple?

Just wanna put some.light-heartedness in this thread. I mean if a lot are gonna bring back former Magicians, then why not the one with the biggest cult-following?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,142

Post#230 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:53 am

tiderulz wrote:

I don’t think that top college coaches are making more than NBA coaches anymore. I expect both Howard and Penny to jump to the NBA when they want

I do agree that I don’t see either guy being head coach of this team next season. Howard’s stock is pretty high right now. He can afford to wait for a better job. The next coach of this team could easily end up like Jacque Vaughn and get fired after 3 seasons before they have to work as an assistant again
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,090

Post#231 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:06 am

Very different take by Bianchi in his Slantinel message. His take is that Cliff didn’t accept the Magic’s contract extension and said he’s not down to rebuild and is essentially “quitting”.

Bianchi also says that the deadline trade of Vuc really really pissed off Cliff along with releasing Birch. Cliff was done the second those trades happened.

Not a lot of shocking stuff other than that’s the 2nd coach that’s quit on the Magic before contract has run out.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,082

Post#232 » by SOUL » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:16 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Very different take by Bianchi in his Slantinel message. His take is that Cliff didn’t accept the Magic’s contract extension and said he’s not down to rebuild and is essentially “quitting”.

Bianchi also says that the deadline trade of Vuc really really pissed off Cliff along with releasing Birch. Cliff was done the second those trades happened.

Not a lot of shocking stuff other than that’s the 2nd coach that’s quit on the Magic before contract has run out.

None of this is surprising though. Cliff is a good coach that isn't going to take the team beyond where it was and our team had no upside, and he would've been fine with that while changing absolutely nothing.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#233 » by KillMonger » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:00 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Very different take by Bianchi in his Slantinel message. His take is that Cliff didn’t accept the Magic’s contract extension and said he’s not down to rebuild and is essentially “quitting”.

Interesting….it was time to turn the page plus didn’t those guys want out? So did Clifford want to force those guys to play for us? Either way somebody’s head needed to roll and I always knew it would be Cliffords fair or unfair

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,796

Post#234 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:03 am

Former Magic player is not a requirment for me. I just want the right coach. Sam Cassell and Becky Hammon are my choices. I got a feeling Cassell will take the better job in Boston while I think Hammon might stay and wait Pop out. But thats the 2 Id go after hard

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#235 » by Bensational » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:07 am

Makes me even happier he’s gone if those are the guys he cared most about.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#236 » by Xatticus » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:40 am

If true, then this is very disconcerting news to me. I was very pleased with what I heard in Weltman’s press conference. It would be very troubling to me if they actually offered him an extension.

As to Clifford. Good riddance. You are no prize. If you wanted to have anything to do with personnel decisions, then you took the wrong job. If you didn’t want them to trade away Vucevic, then you should have won some games. If you have a problem with the rebuild, then you shouldn’t have lost your core. They all wanted to move on. Few coaches enjoy as much leeway as you’ve enjoyed while accomplishing absolutely nothing. The difference between Clifford and any would be first-time head coach is that we don’t definitively know that the coach without experience is a crappy NBA coach, while there really isn’t much to debate with regard to Clifford.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#237 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:18 am

Orange Ave. wrote:Lots of reasons to make this change, but I can't help but get Hannigan is to Elfrid as WeHam is to Bamba vibes. GM believes in their pick more than the coach and that causes... a disconnect, leading to coaching change.

Stan forced Redick to be a solid pro by dogging him, hopefully some of Clifford's tough love resonated with Bamba. I'm more excited to see what a new coach can do with Mo than any other player we have.

Bamba has absolutely zero excuses now and he has a healthy offseason and hopefully full training camp. We better see some type of improvement. He's last on my list in regards to players i'm excited about.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#238 » by KillMonger » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:36 am

Thoughts on ettore Messina?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#239 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:50 am

Most coaches will probably hope for Bucks job as Bud is probably goner by the next week.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#240 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:33 pm

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
They were 19-24 and 11th in the west when they shut down SGA. The top 10 teams make the playoffs. That's playoff contention. FACT!!! TRUTH!!!

Take your stupid **** elsewhere, Debbie Downer.

Cry me a river.
Since when being 11th among 15 teams, 5 games bleow .500 "playoff conteding" on West where 8th seed ened up having 38-35 record.
There weren't even in playin tournament at that moment.

Person who argued that Magic are bad and need complete tear down, sitting at 9-14 record with half of roster injuries, is also making claims that 19-24 team on west was playoffs contender. Hilarious double standards.

Take your bogus claims, bull*** takes and biased nonsense somwhere else.

It's pretty good when you are projected to have the worst record in the NBA by pretty much every outlet before the season began. You are moving goalposts again. Who cares about .500? Two-thirds of NBA teams make the playoffs now.

OKC had already torn down their roster and they were 4.5 games better than Orlando when they shut down SGA. Orlando hadn't even begun to tank at this point. You are **** on Daigneault and praising Clifford even though it's ridiculously obvious which team was better coached this year.

I don't know if it's "ridiculously obvious" that OKC was better coached simply because they were 4.5 games better than Orlando when they shut down SGA. At that point Orlando had been playing the whole season without its starting PG and starting PF -- its two most talented young players -- Fultz and Isaac.

Cliff took Hennigan's scrub roster that no coach could win with and led them to the playoffs 2 consecutive years. In Year 3 we all know what happened. He ended up with a roster-full of 10-day contracts and rookies, they traded his only all-star, and they shelved healthy players to tank. I don't see how anyone can say Cliff did a bad job or this was his fault.

In truth, Weltman and Hammond still have jobs because of Cliff. They have had 4 years to add a star to this roster and have failed miserably. Their drafts have been abysmal. Their most promising talent -- Isaac -- never plays and there's a good chance he will never be a dependable player in this league. Bamba is so bad they didn't even feel the need to shut him down during the tank because they knew he wouldn't lead the team to any wins (which was true). Cliff's 2 playoff appearances, along with the improvement of Vuc and Fultz under Cliff, bought Weltman and Hammond a lot of time.

Return to Orlando Magic