Total votes: 28

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Re: 2021 Offseason 

Post#121 » by queridiculo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:06 pm

DCZards wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I absolutely hate Ben Simmons. He's a good kid , not as douchy as LeBron. But man the kid will not shoot the ball and he can't hit free throws. A shooter that bad is never gonna be an above average shooter. And he's injury prone. No thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

You're willing to trade Beal for RJ Barrett and a bunch of meaningless picks but you'll balk at a deal that returns a soon to be 25 year old perennial All-Star and DPOY finalist?

That makes sense...

Like Beal, Simmons will never be the best player on a championship team. Ben is just too limited offensively.

If you trade for Simmons you better be prepared to build a team of great perimeter shooters around him.

Be that as it may, the name of the game is extending your assets and not pissing them away like a drunken sailor.

Simmons plays winning basketball despite being an abysmal shooter.

He's a foundational piece you can build around and that's what you're hoping for when you move somebody of Beal's caliber.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#122 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:07 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Gafford seems like he made the jump. Rui is probably the only one who gets the shots to do so next year. I don't know how Deni fits... especially with Russ. His usage rate is not going to cut it. He's definitely not a stand in the corner and wait to shoot 3s type of guy, it's just a colossal waste of his skill.

I’m sure Rui gained a ton of confidence from his solid playoff performance. Ideally, that carries over into next season.

Let’s hope Rui’s 3ball shooting continues to improve...and that the Zards hire a coach who runs an offense that takes advantage of his midrange game.

We'll see Rui in two months playing for Team Japan hosting the Olympics.

I will be curious to see his energy playing for team Japan. I expect he will bring a lot of Russ' fire to try to motivate his team. He always seems more assertive and decisive on that team, less deferential. Could be the language barrier, comfort level, sense of status differences keeps him from taking an alpha role here in the US, but there he is unquestionably the most talented player on the team. They still won't win much, but he plays well with them, even against strong international teams.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#123 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:14 pm

Just a reminder:

https://wizofawes.com/2018/06/25/washington-wizards-free-agency-pay-no-attention-to-ernie-grunfeld-behind-the-curtain/3/

According to David Aldridge, Donte DiVincenzo (who I picked in Fansided’s mock draft) wasn’t on the Wizards’ radar during the draft:

“I’m pretty sure the Wizards wanted Jerome Robinson from Boston College, Sam. But he went two picks ahead of them, to the LA Clippers. Washington, as I reported Thursday, would not have taken Michael Porter, Jr,, even if he hadn’t gone to Denver at 14. And, I’m told, they weren’t inclined for different reasons to take either Williams or Walker. They could have gone for Donte DiVincenzo or Kevin Huerter there, but they liked the size and smarts of Brown more. The issue more for me with Brown is the timeline — how long will it take for him to become a contributor, with John Wall and Bradley Beal in their prime? But I do think he will be one in time.”

This has aged like milk.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#124 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:29 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Just a reminder:

https://wizofawes.com/2018/06/25/washington-wizards-free-agency-pay-no-attention-to-ernie-grunfeld-behind-the-curtain/3/

According to David Aldridge, Donte DiVincenzo (who I picked in Fansided’s mock draft) wasn’t on the Wizards’ radar during the draft:

“I’m pretty sure the Wizards wanted Jerome Robinson from Boston College, Sam. But he went two picks ahead of them, to the LA Clippers. Washington, as I reported Thursday, would not have taken Michael Porter, Jr,, even if he hadn’t gone to Denver at 14. And, I’m told, they weren’t inclined for different reasons to take either Williams or Walker. They could have gone for Donte DiVincenzo or Kevin Huerter there, but they liked the size and smarts of Brown more. The issue more for me with Brown is the timeline — how long will it take for him to become a contributor, with John Wall and Bradley Beal in their prime? But I do think he will be one in time.”

This has aged like milk.

What is "interesting" to me is that if Brooks stays - you might as well skip drafting any big guard - they aren't going to play (opinion).
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#125 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:04 pm

This has aged like milk.

Always take the guys with a skill. Huerter can shoot. DiVincenzo can shoot and handle.

:banghead:
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#126 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:24 pm

In search of the next Christian Wood (Highly recruited player, left after Freshman year, couple years on the fringe/G-League)...
Im throwing my hat in on Louis King.

I was a fan of his coming out 2 years ago as a freshman, with my concerns being his slight frame, somewhat wonky shot, inability to draw fouls, and poor vision/passing stats.

That said, he's 6'8 with a 7'0 wing, highly skilled as a ball handler/shooter (Shot 45/37/81 over last two years in G-League on 568/200/73 attempts). Solid defender and great 3 & D wing archetype at only 22 this next year.

I'd love to snatch him up for a cheap 3/4M deal. He'll basically give you what we would hope Trey Murphy would give us.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#127 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:51 pm

Louis King is on a 2 way deal with (naturally!) the Kings.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,305

Post#128 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:57 pm

dckingsfan wrote:

This has aged like milk.

What is "interesting" to me is that if Brooks stays - you might as well skip drafting any big guard - they aren't going to play (opinion).

I'm not so sure. I don't think much of Brooks, but I think Sheppard has been pretty darn good as a GM so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he was just as concerned as us about Brooks' predilection to play small ball. Sheppard might address it by refusing to provide any small players for Brooks to play.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#129 » by mhd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:59 pm

This has aged like milk.

Wasn't EG still in charge when they drafted TBJ?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#130 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:04 pm

mhd wrote:Wasn't EG still in charge when they drafted TBJ?

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#131 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:What is "interesting" to me is that if Brooks stays - you might as well skip drafting any big guard - they aren't going to play (opinion).

I'm not so sure. I don't think much of Brooks, but I think Sheppard has been pretty darn good as a GM so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he was just as concerned as us about Brooks' predilection to play small ball. Sheppard might address it by refusing to provide any small players for Brooks to play.

That would be awesome. Add ZERO players under 6'4" or so... my guess is it doesn't turn out that way :cry:
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#132 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:05 pm

I think I want to go after this guy for wing help.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#133 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:21 pm

The Rio Grande Vipers don't have a #12 on their roster. So... who is this guy you want?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#134 » by wall_glizzy » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:31 pm

payitforward wrote:The Rio Grande Vipers don't have a #12 on their roster. So... who is this guy you want?

That's Torrey Craig of the Suns, wearing one of the team's alternate jerseys. I imagine the photo is from last night's game, actually.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#135 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:33 pm

payitforward wrote:The Rio Grande Vipers don't have a #12 on their roster. So... who is this guy you want?

:lol:
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#136 » by mhd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:50 pm

Posted a modified trade idea in the trade board, but thought it would make sense here:

Wiz trade: Bertans+Bryant (expiring)+Hutchison (expiring)+15 for Horford+Jerome+10
NO trade: Bledsoe+10 for Bertans+Hutchison+15+35
OKC trade: Horford (14.5 million guaranteed in his last year)+Jerome+35 for Bryant (expiring)+Bledsoe (only 3.5 million guaranteed in his last year)

OKC saves roughly 15 million in real cash in the deal. NO gets Bertans to add some needed shooting around Zion. If we were able to move up to #10, we could maybe get Wagner:

NEW LINEUP:
PG: Russ/Jerome
SG: Beal/Matthews
SF: Deni/Wagner
PF: Rui/Gill
C: Horford/Gafford

Sign a vet 3&D forward, and we'd be in much better shape next year.[/quote]
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#137 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:04 pm

mhd wrote:Posted a modified trade idea in the trade board, but thought it would make sense here:

Wiz trade: Bertans+Bryant (expiring)+Hutchison (expiring)+15 for Horford+Jerome+10
NO trade: Bledsoe+10 for Bertans+Hutchison+15+35
OKC trade: Horford (14.5 million guaranteed in his last year)+Jerome+35 for Bryant (expiring)+Bledsoe (only 3.5 million guaranteed in his last year)

OKC saves roughly 15 million in real cash in the deal. NO gets Bertans to add some needed shooting around Zion. If we were able to move up to #10, we could maybe get Wagner:

NEW LINEUP:
PG: Russ/Jerome
SG: Beal/Matthews
SF: Deni/Wagner
PF: Rui/Gill
C: Horford/Gafford

Sign a vet 3&D forward, and we'd be in much better shape next year.
[/quote]

Hi mhd, I replied to the proposal you posted on the general trade board. I still feel this is a bit too light. And for full disclosure I like Ty Jerome..Remember that Ted & Tommy are trying to "compete" next year...
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#138 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:05 pm

I tried to be optimistic about Brown Jr, but what about his game/college production suggested he would be a good NBA player?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#139 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:04 pm

I don't think they did him any favors but he wasn't going to be a star regardless
NatP4 wrote:I tried to be optimistic about Brown Jr, but what about his game/college production suggested he would be a good NBA player?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#140 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:50 pm

I don't think this would work well. Either financially or in productivity. OKC would be happy to do the deal, however.

We send out 3 players & take back 2. Our salary load goes up only slightly -- @$700K. Post-trade, we're at $117m for six players.

Add the #10 pick, & it's $121m for 7 guys. Sign that veteran 3&D forward for, say... $8m?

That leaves us 7 guys short of a roster, & we have $7-8m of room under the luxury tax.

Then there's the fact that Al Horford was once a really good player but has gone way way downhill & appears to be totally cooked. His numbers both this year & last aren't anywhere near an average guy -- let alone Thomas Bryant.

On the plus side, however, it does get us out from under the many years of Bertans deal. So maybe it would be worth it to be a much worse team next year?

Return to Washington Wizards