ImageImageImageImageImage

Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Re: Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario 

Post#21 » by FreshyFlames » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:48 pm

13th Man wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
13th Man wrote:Let the kids play. You know what's the best medicine to stave off Covid? Being active physically and socially (adhering to reasonable safety precautions), not cooped up in your home making cheesecake.

I was at a fitness conference a few weeks ago and one of the doctors who works in the ICU told us that from his observation over 90% of the people in the ICU are overweight/obese. The Government should be encouraging fitness activities as much as possible, especially outdoors. Instead they have police arresting kids for being in the parks or skating at outdoor rinks.

Is this your experience? I was leaving a track the other day that has literally hundreds of people walking around or playing full-squad soccer matches and a cop literally drove into the parking lot and left without doing anything. Hundreds of people are there every day. I'm outside in a field 4-5 days a week, working out (either alone or with some friends) and have never even seen someone get hassled by cops.

Not my personal experience but I've seen a lot of such encounters in Canada on YouTube over past months. Some have grabbed national attention but not from the mainstream media of course. Glad to see things loosening up finally.

Source? There's a big difference between being given a ticket and being arrested. Something tells me you have the 2 confused.
Raps in 6ix
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#22 » by 13th Man » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:50 pm

FreshyFlames wrote:
13th Man wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:Is this your experience? I was leaving a track the other day that has literally hundreds of people walking around or playing full-squad soccer matches and a cop literally drove into the parking lot and left without doing anything. Hundreds of people are there every day. I'm outside in a field 4-5 days a week, working out (either alone or with some friends) and have never even seen someone get hassled by cops.

Not my personal experience but I've seen a lot of such encounters in Canada on YouTube over past months. Some have grabbed national attention but not from the mainstream media of course. Glad to see things loosening up finally.

Source? There's a big difference between being given a ticket and being arrested. Something tells me you have the 2 confused.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-skating-rink-arrest-1.5848904
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#23 » by gerrit4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:59 pm

13th Man wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
13th Man wrote:

That person didn't get arrested for skating at a rink. They got arrested for refusing to leave a rink when asked by police. That's a pretty significant difference.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#24 » by refshateRaps » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:26 pm

gerrit4 wrote:
13th Man wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:Source? There's a big difference between being given a ticket and being arrested. Something tells me you have the 2 confused.

That person didn't get arrested for skating at a rink. They got arrested for refusing to leave a rink when asked by police. That's a pretty significant difference.

The fact kids were even being harassed for playing sports outdoors was insanity.

The damage to youths overall health has gone on on far too long.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,051

Post#25 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:45 pm

Played my first bit of pickup ball yesterday in brampton. Vaccines are out so don't care anymore lol.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,076

Post#26 » by mihaic » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:55 pm

people were playing in my area in North York ooutdoors basketball since the weather became good. Unorganized outdoors activities were free to practice in the winter too. Honestly I did more hiking since Covid hit, than ever in my life. And since the spring played pickup soccer without anyone complaining. No nets though on the goals, in public facilities. Same for outdoor pickup basketball, no one was enforcing anything
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,609

Post#27 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:00 pm

720 wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
C_Money wrote:They took down the nets? That seems a little over the top.

Its Ontario. There is no bottom to what our Governments here are doing to prevent the youth from being healthy

Even now to attend a socially distanced, small group City of Toronto day camp my child will have to wear a mask OUTDOORS in the heart of summer.

Kid has been barred from sports for a year and a half. Ive had enough.

Something is seriously not right with this Province and City

Um, they don't want kids to catch the coronavirus while playing ball and then take it home to their family members. I don't get this outrage. lol

Maybe because there are no cases of covid being transmitted by outdoor activities
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,757

Post#28 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:29 pm

I’m still confused as to how easily the virus transmits. Seems to be nearly impossible in outdoors even without a mask given all the protests, gatherings that have occurred without any cases linked. A year later it’s still unclear to me how people have been getting it.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Raptolicism
Rookie
And1: 480

Post#29 » by Raptolicism » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:09 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
720 wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

Its Ontario. There is no bottom to what our Governments here are doing to prevent the youth from being healthy

Even now to attend a socially distanced, small group City of Toronto day camp my child will have to wear a mask OUTDOORS in the heart of summer.

Kid has been barred from sports for a year and a half. Ive had enough.

Something is seriously not right with this Province and City

Um, they don't want kids to catch the coronavirus while playing ball and then take it home to their family members. I don't get this outrage. lol

Maybe because there are no cases of covid being transmitted by outdoor activities

That is not accurate.

Outdoor activities are far less risky, but covid is most certainly transmittable outdoors.

And when thinking of all the outdoor activities - playing basketball and defending someone appears to be one of the highest risk options.

It sucks! But it is true.
YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WE THE CHAMPS BABY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by refshateRaps » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:48 pm

Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
720 wrote:Um, they don't want kids to catch the coronavirus while playing ball and then take it home to their family members. I don't get this outrage. lol

That is not accurate.

Outdoor activities are far less risky, but covid is most certainly transmittable outdoors.

And when thinking of all the outdoor activities - playing basketball and defending someone appears to be one of the highest risk options.

The cost of not exercising & socializing for our youth is a far larger health crises then any minimal outdoor spread of this specific virus.

The youth are not at risk of anything serious & the transmission is and was always very damn low.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#31 » by 720 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:50 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

That is not accurate.

The cost of not exercising & socializing for our youth is a far larger health crises then any minimal outdoor spread of this virus

The health crisis is not regarding the kids. We know covid isn’t dangerous for most children. The problem is they might bring it back and spread it to their parents or grandparents.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#32 » by MixxSRC » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:56 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

That is not accurate.

The cost of not exercising & socializing for our youth is a far larger health crises then any minimal outdoor spread of this virus

Kids don't play outside anyways
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by refshateRaps » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:57 pm

720 wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:That is not accurate.

The health crisis is not regarding the kids. We know covid isn’t dangerous for most children. The problem is they might bring it back and spread it to their parents or grandparents.

Outdoor transmission thru the youth is negligible and Grandma should have been well isolated already, unfortunately.

A 'COVID only' lens is bad enough, distorting outdoor transmission science to be something mo0re then it is when the reality we are just making the great populace physically & mentally sick is absolute insanity. The mental damage for so many is irreversible and for many lost their lives to these unnecessary and unhealthy measures.
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#34 » by FreshyFlames » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:18 pm

13th Man wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
13th Man wrote:

This was about Ontario not the Conservative shithole of Alberta. Plus that's a man not a kid. Nobody in Ontario has been getting arrested for playing at a park. I've literally seen dozens of parks filled with kids and the police just ignore the. Tickets being issued? Sparingly but yes but not arrests. Big difference.
Raps in 6ix
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#35 » by Mikistan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:33 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
720 wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

Outdoor transmission thru the youth is negligible and Grandma should have been well isolated already, unfortunately.

A 'COVID only' lens is bad enough, distorting outdoor transmission science to be something mo0re then it is when the reality we are just making the great populace physically & mentally sick is absolute insanity. The mental damage for so many is irreversible and for many lost their lives to these unnecessary and unhealthy measures.

Look man you are talking about mental damage like there isn't a bigger impact that needs to be fixed. Getting the kids outside is good, but if they cant be home with their parents/primary caretakers because their primary caretakers abuse them, abuse substances, etc. them getting outside is a band aid

now if you are talking about not being social and having less human interaction - ya it sucks - but if the parents cant stimulate their own children and spend quality time with them that again, is an issue bigger than going outside
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,609

Post#36 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:39 pm

Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
720 wrote:Um, they don't want kids to catch the coronavirus while playing ball and then take it home to their family members. I don't get this outrage. lol

That is not accurate.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7769445/covid-outdoor-transmission-science/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

They already opened golf courses.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Raptolicism
Rookie

Post#37 » by Raptolicism » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:11 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

That is not accurate.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7769445/covid-outdoor-transmission-science/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

They already opened golf courses.

Uuuuh... Those links speak to what I said above "Outdoor activities are far less risky, but covid is most certainly transmittable outdoors."

Golf should never have been closed! And no, I do not go golfing ever. Objectively golf is almost ideal to play during this pandemic. Basketball, which is the only sport I do these days, is obviously far riskier if people are actually playing D, and are panting all over each other's faces. I don't like the fact that the only sport I play is riskier than sports that I don't play, but it is what it is.
Raptolicism
Rookie

Post#38 » by Raptolicism » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:15 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

That is not accurate.

The cost of not exercising & socializing for our youth is a far larger health crises then any minimal outdoor spread of this specific virus.

The youth are not at risk of anything serious & the transmission is and was always very damn low.

I never said anything about "not exercising & socializing for our youth".

I simply pointed out that outdoor transmission is absolutely possible, and that basketball unfortunately is riskier than other sports in this scenario.

Also - while kids are not impacted as severely as adults - the variants have been more aggressive w young folk, and a lot of them still get very sick, and sometimes even worse. Plus, the kids bring it home to the fam.
7 Footer
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,859

Post#39 » by 7 Footer » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:20 pm

Good thing I picked up a Fisher Price net for myself a couple of months ago
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by refshateRaps » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:40 pm

Raptolicism wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:That is not accurate.

I never said anything about "not exercising & socializing for our youth".

I simply pointed out that outdoor transmission is absolutely possible, and that basketball unfortunately is riskier than other sports in this scenario.

Also - while kids are not impacted as severely as adults - the variants have been more aggressive w young folk, and a lot of them still get very sick, and sometimes even worse. Plus, the kids bring it home to the fam.

The 'aggressive' term in describing variants impact on youth is quite the exaggerated scare tactic since a strain of any virus is always more 'aggressive' in nature in terms of spread and almost always less harmful as it mutates. All of these variants are still less harmful then the common flu to our youth according to CDC and on par with the influenza for those under 60 on the low end.

If someone was going to be in contact with someone at risk in their home then they should obviously be more careful, unfortunately. Otherwise the greater population needs to be able to socialize, exercise live and be healthy.

Return to Toronto Raptors