what if all the goats played at the same time

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

what if all the goats played at the same time 

Post#1 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:56 pm

remember how the 90's had a insane bottleneck of great centers? what if that happened on steroids?

lets focus in perimeter players

imagine that magic johnson, jordan, lebron, kobe, wade, curry, durant, dr J, drexler, cp3, harden, jerry west, larry bird, nash and whoever else you can think of... all came in the league withing 2-3 drafts difference an their careers overlapped

now put them all in their primes in the 2010's alongside every other good to great guard that played at that decade

forget about who wins rings, how would their careers be affected in perception?

would other players from other eras get a big bump from being the best in weaker leagues...even if their numbers didnt change?

if Alex english was the best perimeter player left in the 80's would he be seen as a goat level player now by having been the best wing at his era?

would the legacy of lebron or jordan be diminished by standing off less from the now much stronger pack?

would the players like mike conley become criminally underated by not even being above average starters in their era?

would the insane amount of great players make people question this era instead of appreciaying? after all if there were 15 players putting Legit strong mvp level campaigns would people blame defense instead?
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Re: what if all the goats played at the same time 

Post#2 » by Hawk » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:00 pm

I would sleep a lot less, that is for sure.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#3 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:07 pm

If this happened lebron would be begging a dozen of them to team up.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#4 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:18 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#5 » by Jaivl » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:33 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:If this happened lebron would be begging a dozen of them to team up.

You mean making them team up against him?
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Post#6 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:44 pm

That would be a trip.

Literally, a group of goats is called a trip.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,941

Post#7 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:20 pm

Then you could separate the sheep from goats.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:56 pm

Baa, humbug.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#9 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:57 pm

what i am more interested is thinking how the effect of playing in this superstacked league would affect our evaluation of all these players

since to an extent we evaluate all time greats by how much they stood out among peers

if harden was exactly the same player but went from a top 5 into a top 15 player in the league how much lower would de evaluate the value of the same player?
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#10 » by Statlanta » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:59 pm

The ones who are on a superteam will reign supreme and we will no longer rank Bill Russell, Michael Jordan or LeBron James as the GOAT.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:05 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:Then you could separate the sheep from goats.

Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
picko
Starter
And1: 3,411

Post#12 » by picko » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:04 am

falcolombardi wrote:what i am more interested is thinking how the effect of playing in this superstacked league would affect our evaluation of all these players

since to an extent we evaluate all time greats by how much they stood out among peers

if harden was exactly the same player but went from a top 5 into a top 15 player in the league how much lower would de evaluate the value of the same player?

In the moment we wouldn't know that the league is full of all-time great players. So that will impact our assessment of players. Very few people account for league quality when assessing a players performance even with the value of hindsight.

The deeper the league's talent pool the less likely there are to be outlier talents and outlier talents tend to be those we elevate to the GOAT conversation (guys such as Mikan, Russell, Wilt, KAJ, Jordan and LeBron).

Nobody is going to argue that a player is an all-time great if they never make an all-NBA first team and in this scenario a lot of all-time great talents wouldn't sniff the first or second teams. In this scenario, a lot of outstanding players wouldn't even make the all-star team regularly.

Statistically the league would be more even (for example lower top-end PERs or BPMs) that would make it seem as though the players in this league weren't as dominant as, say, the likes of Alex English in the 1980s. It's quite plausible that in this scenario we'd judge Jordan (25 PPG; 25 PER) lower than Alex English (32 PPG; 28 PER), despite the fact that in this scenario English is dominating a relatively weaker league.

It's not all that different to how we judge the players from the 1940s / 1950s / 1960s. We take the achievements at face value even though the talent pool was relatively shallow (limited black athletes, no international players, poorly paid etc). And there are many people to elevate the players of that era to GOAT status despite concerns about overall talent levels.

So, yes, I think shifting the distribution of talent would greatly impact our assessment of players.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#13 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:25 am

It would depend on the marketing. If it's not good then a lot of those players would go underappreciated.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#14 » by RCM88x » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:30 am

People would still complain about the current era and say the teams of the past would be as good/better than current teams.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#15 » by KobesScarf » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:19 am

Look at Dwight Howard. People will convince themselves that he's really elite
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,217

Post#16 » by SNPA » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:25 am

Bird dominates.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,748

Post#17 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:22 pm

picko wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:what i am more interested is thinking how the effect of playing in this superstacked league would affect our evaluation of all these players

In the moment we wouldn't know that the league is full of all-time great players. So that will impact our assessment of players. Very few people account for league quality when assessing a players performance even with the value of hindsight.

The deeper the league's talent pool the less likely there are to be outlier talents and outlier talents tend to be those we elevate to the GOAT conversation (guys such as Mikan, Russell, Wilt, KAJ, Jordan and LeBron).

Nobody is going to argue that a player is an all-time great if they never make an all-NBA first team and in this scenario a lot of all-time great talents wouldn't sniff the first or second teams. In this scenario, a lot of outstanding players wouldn't even make the all-star team regularly.

Statistically the league would be more even (for example lower top-end PERs or BPMs) that would make it seem as though the players in this league weren't as dominant as, say, the likes of Alex English in the 1980s. It's quite plausible that in this scenario we'd judge Jordan (25 PPG; 25 PER) lower than Alex English (32 PPG; 28 PER), despite the fact that in this scenario English is dominating a relatively weaker league.

It's not all that different to how we judge the players from the 1940s / 1950s / 1960s. We take the achievements at face value even though the talent pool was relatively shallow (limited black athletes, no international players, poorly paid etc). And there are many people to elevate the players of that era to GOAT status despite concerns about overall talent levels.

So, yes, I think shifting the distribution of talent would greatly impact our assessment of players.

This. So basically whoever you think would be among the best perimeter players in this era, would be argued as the modern GOAT, however, I don't know if they would get discussed seriously in all-time great discussions. I imagine the GOAT conversation would maybe strongly be between Kareem and Bill? At the same time, I think 2020 and moving forward is probably the most optimal time for perimeter players with the freedom of movement, spacing, etc., so those perimeter players who get to have some of their prime in 2020 and onward are likely beneficiaries.

Someone like Alex English and those like him would get a boost, but I'm not certain it would be enough to topple over Kareem and Bill, as well as some of the perimeter talent that we would see in the 2020s in their potential primes.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#18 » by Mazter » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:29 pm

You would probably have 10-15 players averaging 25-30+ per game and people would be saying how there isn't hardly any defense being played, stats are inflated...wait, that sounds familiar...
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,247

Post#19 » by McBubbles » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:10 pm

All their legacies would get worse. Dominance is only possible because you destroy your competition, but when everyone is at your level nobody really stands out. It's a possibility that several multiple time champions and MVP's could have zero of either.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?

Return to Player Comparisons