The Wizards tenure of Scott Brooks

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Re: The Wizards tenure of Scott Brooks 

Post#161 » by gesa2 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:11 am

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:I fear that the delay is the Wizards negotiating the terms of Scott's next contract, if there are no rumors/leaks this week re: Wiz talking to HC candidates, I will take that as an ominous sign that we're doubling-down on Scotty.

The only way Brooks is retained is on a one-year deal. There won't be much need to negotiate because nobody else in the league wants him.

One year deal? If he stays I’d think they would match him up with Westbrook - 2 years.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#162 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:34 am

It would be foolish on so many levels to keep him. I can't imagine they'd keep paying him at a rate of $7 mil a year when there's zero demand for him. Giving him a pay cut and only 1 or 2 years would make him the ultimate lame duck - and the players would stop listening to him. It'd be a bad situation for everyone.

With other better teams already made decisions getting rid of their coaches, the Wiz should make a decision quickly, or they will have a smaller group of options available.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#163 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:28 am

Ruzious wrote:It would be foolish on so many levels to keep him. I can't imagine they'd keep paying him at a rate of $7 mil a year when there's zero demand for him. Giving him a pay cut and only 1 or 2 years would make him the ultimate lame duck - and the players would stop listening to him. It'd be a bad situation for everyone.

With other better teams already made decisions getting rid of their coaches, the Wiz should make a decision quickly, or they will have a smaller group of options available.

Yeah, when you put it that way, firing him is really a no-brainer.

It would be insane to resign him to a long term deal when he isn't that good.
It would be insane to pay him $7M a year on a short deal when nobody wants him.
It would be bad to give him a big pay cut and a short deal because he would be a lame duck with no authority.

That leaves only one option: let him walk.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#164 » by Frichuela » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:37 am

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It would be foolish on so many levels to keep him. I can't imagine they'd keep paying him at a rate of $7 mil a year when there's zero demand for him. Giving him a pay cut and only 1 or 2 years would make him the ultimate lame duck - and the players would stop listening to him. It'd be a bad situation for everyone.

Yeah, when you put it that way, firing him is really a no-brainer.

It would be insane to resign him to a long term deal when he isn't that good.
It would be insane to pay him $7M a year on a short deal when nobody wants him.
It would be bad to give him a big pay cut and a short deal because he would be a lame duck with no authority.

That leaves only one option: let him walk.

Absolutely. There is zero upside to retaining him. There are so many better options out there.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#165 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:41 pm

NatP4 wrote::nod:

Read on Twitter

Nothing really to suggest that Wright would be leaving because of this given that the previous Associate Head Coach Neptune just went to Fordham.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#166 » by NatP4 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:49 pm

gesa2 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:I fear that the delay is the Wizards negotiating the terms of Scott's next contract, if there are no rumors/leaks this week re: Wiz talking to HC candidates, I will take that as an ominous sign that we're doubling-down on Scotty.

The only way Brooks is retained is on a one-year deal. There won't be much need to negotiate because nobody else in the league wants him.

One year deal? If he stays I’d think they would match him up with Westbrook - 2 years.

Unfortunately, I agree. I think the most likely scenario for this off-season will be to sign Brooks to a 2 year extension , and to trade the draft pick for a “3rd piece”.

Ted will have a lot to do with it.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#167 » by Frichuela » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:59 pm

NatP4 wrote:
gesa2 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The only way Brooks is retained is on a one-year deal. There won't be much need to negotiate because nobody else in the league wants him.

Unfortunately, I agree. I think the most likely scenario for this off-season will be to sign Brooks to a 2 year extension , and to trade the draft pick for a “3rd piece”.

Ted will have a lot to do with it.

Ted is the big risk here. I am worried he may do something stupid as you suggested. I hope not!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#168 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:33 pm

Yes, this is very sound thinking.

I think there would be no reason to -- it might even be thought unfair to -- ride him out of town on a rail.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#169 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:03 pm

There's also the possibility that they may find it hard to find a quality coach given the teams situation. This team might get blown up in a year, and then you're transitioning into a full out rebuild. So that's setting most guys up to fail. You're not going to get a proven coach willing to take on this job under that scenario most likely. Someone somewhat desperate/hasn't had a coaching job before might take it, but that's again setting said coach up to fail because it's going to take real experience to get this flawed roster to playoff success.

A guy I'd like that might take on these circumstances is Billups. I'd trust him to make some effort with Beal/Russ despite being new, and if (when lul) that fails I still like him to bring up the rebuild so long as he's showing some promise. But if Bud got fired this off-season I don't think he'd like this job. I don't think D'Antoni would like it. I don't think Atkinson would like it. Etc.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#170 » by Shoe » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:22 pm

Kara Lawson is a good option
Dark Faze wrote:But if Bud got fired this off-season I don't think he'd like this job. I don't think D'Antoni would like it. I don't think Atkinson would like it. Etc.

The Wizards don't fire anyone. Coaches might think even if they fail with Russ and Brad they'll be kept around during the rebuild.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#171 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:36 pm

Dark Faze wrote:There's also the possibility that they may find it hard to find a quality coach given the teams situation. This team might get blown up in a year, and then you're transitioning into a full out rebuild. So that's setting most guys up to fail. You're not going to get a proven coach willing to take on this job under that scenario most likely. Someone somewhat desperate/hasn't had a coaching job before might take it, but that's again setting said coach up to fail because it's going to take real experience to get this flawed roster to playoff success.

A guy I'd like that might take on these circumstances is Billups. I'd trust him to make some effort with Beal/Russ despite being new, and if (when lul) that fails I still like him to bring up the rebuild so long as he's showing some promise. But if Bud got fired this off-season I don't think he'd like this job. I don't think D'Antoni would like it. I don't think Atkinson would like it. Etc.

Good point. The pool of coaches you would be looking at for this current off-season would be limited to “been there done that” guys that can jump into a win now situation and coach two star players.

Say we trade Beal and Westbrook’s contract eventually expires and you have a handful of young players and draft picks, much different situation in terms of hiring a coach. You could go in a number of different directions and the position is probably a lot more desirable overall.

Even still, the right move is to fire Brooks. He is the worst coach in the NBA. There are a ton of upgrades out there. Sheppard has the opportunity to hire his first coach. Take advantage of that. We want a championship.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#172 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:41 pm

Shoe wrote:Kara Lawson is a good option
Dark Faze wrote:But if Bud got fired this off-season I don't think he'd like this job. I don't think D'Antoni would like it. I don't think Atkinson would like it. Etc.

The Wizards don't fire anyone. Coaches might think even if they fail with Russ and Brad they'll be kept around during the rebuild.

Kara was in the organization (well, NBC Sports Washington) for two years. She knows what she'd be getting into and I think she'd assess that she has a sweet gig at Duke. :P
payitforward
RealGM

Post#173 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:59 pm

I don't understand why anyone thinks it'd be hard to find a new coach. They pay these guys money, you know.

Most people like to have a job that pays millions of dollars. If there are good coaches who are between jobs right now, & there are, it will be no problem at all to hire one of them.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#174 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:04 pm

OTOH, as the days pass with no news on the subject, I do start to get the sense that we'll be seeing Scott Brooks on the sidelines again next year....
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#175 » by WallToWall » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:56 pm

WallToWall wrote:After watching the tough D that the 76ers played, even without Embiid, I would like to see the architect of a defense get a chance at being a head coach of the Wizards. That architect is Ime Udoka, and his pedigree includes Popovich and Nash. He would make for a fine choice as head coach to replace Brooks. He is currently the assistant coach with the Nets, and although the Nets dont play much D (with their big 3 on the offensive end, they dont really have to), he still has done a reasonably good job there. Prior to that, he was the assistant coach with the 76ers, and Spurs. As an assistant coach with the Spurs, he won a championship.

Wish we had got him. Now he's gone to the Celtics.
PaulinVA
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#176 » by PaulinVA » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Return to Washington Wizards