ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Offseason: List of Needs

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Needs for the Knicks

New PG
78%
New SG
9%
New SF
7%
New C
2%
Retain all these dudes
4%

Total votes: 111

NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Re: Knicks Offseason: List of Needs 

Post#321 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:55 am

Kampuchea wrote:Knicks definitely shouldn't be looking to trade Randle. Just when we start to repair the image of the franchise and strengthen the team culture, a trade of Randle would do a lot to eliminate much of that goodwill in the eyes of potentially available stars. One step forward but two steps back kind of move.

Keep on the current path and don't freak out over losing a playoff series to a more talented team. Look for opportunities to add players without forcing it with overpays. People get emotional after the games and want to make moves that are not very well thought out, I would expect our front office has it more together than that.

A franchise worried about 'good will' is bound to fail. Winning is the only thing that matters, not good will.

But, I fear you're right. Dolan won't approve moving Randle.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#322 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:56 am

robillionaire wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
I don’t see why Cleveland would want to get rid of them, they’re both pretty decent and on rookie deals

What would it cost us

Sexton is eligible for an extension and wants to get paid. Jarrett Allen’s reportedly gonna get 5/$100M. Just a lot of coin for a lottery level team. Is a Sexton/Garland backcourt a realistic way to build a team?

Of the two I’d definitely prefer sexton, but he also doesn’t strike me as a winning player, what’s he done for Cleveland? I could see him being a Thibs style guard though

You're being way too harsh on super young players. Give guys a chance to grow. You want to do that with RJ, correct? Sexton would be a great add, but we would have to give up a lot to get him.

One thing I will say is if Cleveland ends up drafting Suggs or Cade, one of Sexton/Garland will have to go. I actually think this would be one of the more realistic scenarios for the Knicks to add another talented player fast. I'd take either one.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#323 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:58 am

NewKnicks wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:
Randle for Haliburton.

Basically this.... The Knicks should try to move Randle for whatever they can get in a first round pick this year or a young building block...

I predict it's only going to get worse from here. Randle looks mentally broken out there. He might put up decent numbers next year but this upward trajectory is going to start to trend downward. Fans are back, and teams know how to stop him in pretty spectacular fashion now.

If you could get a 7-12 draft slot for Randle, I make the trade. Move on if possible, and roll with our youth, plus the three draft picks we'd have. Then, you could package the two 1sts in the 20's (and maybe next years 1st) to move up to the same 7-12. Draft two potential studs, and add them to RJ/Obi/IQ/Mitch. I've made my decision, and this is the direction I would want to go in. It won't happen though. NY would lose their sh*t if they traded their All-Star (regardless of his pathetic playoff performance). Dolan won't let that happen. Or will he??

Knicks will not "tank" next season. We need stars to compete. They could think about trade Randle if they could find other stars to lead the team. But there is almost no chance of this happen. We are stuck with Randle.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#324 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:59 am

moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
And do what? start again?

What is the ceiling for the Knicks with playoff Randle?

Depends on what they can do to improve the team. Nothing says that this is it is the problem most fans that are overreacting seem to be thinking. You do realize that the Knicks can actually improve and make moves right?

Some of you are acting like we're talking about blowing up a prime Shaq and Kobe based team.

And some of you are thinking that we can simply just draft the next Shaq or Kobe. How has that worked in the past 20 years? not just for the Knicks but for all but a few teams in the NBA?

This team has shown it does not belong in the playoffs. Adding Lonzo (or Lavine or Beal, etc.) will only marginally improve that.

Oh for the love of Pete Maravich, this team just started for goodness sake. You want to throw it out just because in one freaking season they weren't able to turn everything completely around? Seriously?

We're not really starting all over if we haven't committed long term money to Randle and the other assortment of mediocre to bad spare parts that comprise the core (Rose is an exception, he should be on a contender playing for 6th man of the year). We're just deciding to go youth development over maxing out the salary cap for, at best, an appearance in the conference semis.

Randle is the only seriously talented guy we have on this team. Stop the fantasies about Barrett being the next Kobe or IQ being anything more than just a solid bench guy and potential 6th man several years from now. You need talent to win in the NBA. I'm really not sure why so many fans still can't seem to understand that. Randle is not Lebron James. For the Knicks to be able to do what some of you fans want him to do he has to be. What honestly did you expect him to be able to do with this team? Yes he has crapped the playoffs. But he crapped last regular season too before "figuring it out" and having a terrific regular season in his 2nd year in NY. So how's about give him a chance for goodness freaking sake. Honestly, you would have dumped him last season for Nicolas Batum wouldn't you?

They could also get worse. You realize that's also a possibility, right?
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#325 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:04 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Rose can't do what you just saw for a full 82 game season. Hes 32 with a minutes restriction. We need a guy who can put up Rose statlines every game and then still have Rose to come in ready to fire. That could be Lowry or Conley for now and then you do your draft pick maneuver anyway while accepting that that rookie probably won't play his first season. Actually the rest of idea wasn't bad but don't say we don't need a pg and watch your whole season crash when Rose crashes, which it will if Thibs keeps starting him.

Aren't Lowry and Conley older than Rose? I don't see either as the answer. We need a young PG and I don't see any young game changers available, unless you consider Ball a game changer (I don't know). I agree with you that we need basically a second starter at PG to be able to step in, but I also think Quickly could be the long time answer there, and a draft pick might indeed play (just look at Obi, and more so at Quickly).

So to answer your question yes, they are older however the difference is Derreck is sortve athletically dominant or bust. Those two aren't. As they age they can and have fallen back on thier ability to run an offense (not simply be the offense like Derreck needs to be, but to run a cohesive offense. And Conley even moreso than Lowry, but both better than Rose). And look, there are things that Rose can do that they can't. If all 3 players don't play a single minute until the last 15 of the 4rth quarter fully rested, I might pick Rose over the other 2 and ask him to just go win us a game but that's my point, Rose should only be..... he's a sixth man type. That's all I'm saying. And as time goes on maybe you'll see what I do which is that if what I described is what's necessary then Quickley should overtake that role.

Really I've only started looking at Lowry as a one or two yr stop gap until a superstar young PG is available. My first choice is Lonzo but hes so polarizing that it's like ok you don't like this yrs crop of young PGs, let's kick the can forward with a vet and reassess next summer or even the next.

But in all scenarios I want a new PG not already on this team to replace one players role...Elfrid Peyton.... and then I think everyone else's role was fine where it was.

Why would Conley want to leave a great situation in Utah? We keep talking about getting players who probably have no chance of being on the market. Which that is fine, this is a message board afterall, but we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#326 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:05 am

NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Sexton is eligible for an extension and wants to get paid. Jarrett Allen’s reportedly gonna get 5/$100M. Just a lot of coin for a lottery level team. Is a Sexton/Garland backcourt a realistic way to build a team?

Of the two I’d definitely prefer sexton, but he also doesn’t strike me as a winning player, what’s he done for Cleveland? I could see him being a Thibs style guard though

You're being way too harsh on super young players. Give guys a chance to grow. You want to do that with RJ, correct? Sexton would be a great add, but we would have to give up a lot to get him.

One thing I will say is if Cleveland ends up drafting Suggs or Cade, one of Sexton/Garland will have to go. I actually think this would be one of the more realistic scenarios for the Knicks to add another talented player fast. I'd take either one.

Depends on the cost. If they were free agents I’d be less reluctant to take a chance, if we are giving up big assets to trade for them the FO better be damn sure we are getting another core piece in return
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#327 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:08 am

Ma10 wrote:Who ever wins the lottery, what would you guys think it would take to get Cade Cunningham. Our 2 picks this year + Quickly?

:lol:

Try the whole roster, but then the team with the #1 laughs and hangs up the phone. Mr Ballboy, you're going to need to be a little more realistic for your own mental health moving forward.

So, deservedly so... STFU AND GTFO Ballboy!!
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#328 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:21 am

NewKnicks wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:Posted this in another thread and figured I would add it here too.

I wish I had the answers on how to close the gap. If there was some way to get Dame, I'm all in. Empty the cupboard and roll with Dame/Randle, and hope to get a third star. But that's not going to happen. I think Dame stays in Portland.

We are kind of locked into what we have at this moment. We just have to hope that we draft really well, and maybe get a starter level player out of one of our draft picks. We're keeping Randle (obviously), and then we have to hope that RJ becomes more than just a corner 3 and D guy as he continues to grow. I don't see RJ becoming anything more than a 3-4 on a championship roster. I know you disagree with that, and he's only 20 so I can't say you're going to be wrong. That's just my opinion.

So that said.. what do we do?

1. Make Randle earn his next contract next year. If he puts up the same numbers, the Knicks will have to give in and give him a bag. I get the idea of trying to sign him now to save a lot of money, but with that collapse against the Hawks, we just can't tie all that money up with him yet.

2. Hope RJ becomes a really, really good player

3. Hope IQ and Obi continue to get a lot better

4. What to do with Rose? One argument is we HAVE to re-sign him, because he's been our best player. But he's 32, and even he admits to getting tired toward the end. He's getting old and is not really a piece of the future. I'm starting to think it's better to let Rose walk. We're not winning any chips in the next 2-3 years, which is probably his window before he falls off the cliff. This won't be popular, but let him walk and roll with the youth.

5. Draft Ayo or Cooper. Personally, after watching Ayo during his whole career at U of I, I think he's a keeper. I really don't want Cooper, but we need more talent at the PG position, and he is talented. I just don't know if he can overcome being so short and not a good shooter at this point. So take Ayo with one of our picks.

6. Sign a PG free agent. And NOT Lonzo. We need someone with the ilk of a DRose. Someone who can break down defenses, and Lonzo is not that type of player. It's going to cost a LOT of money to sign him, and let's keep that money for other players. We don't yet know which PG's might be available in a few months, No to Lowry as well, for the same reasons. We're not winning in the next 2-3 years, so there really is no purpose to sign him. If our FO is good, they can find a PG out there who is young, and has future potential to be a really good ball distributor and a shot maker. Maybe this is a player who is not getting a lot of time yet on another winning roster. If our FO is great at evaluating talent, they might be able to discover a gem out there.

7. If we package our picks to move up. How far can we get? If we can get into 7-12, we have a chance at finding a true difference maker in the draft. At this point I think I've settled on keeping both picks, as we simply lack talent. Take two players in the 20's, and hope we hit like we did with IQ

8. Thibs needs to add a young, brilliant offensive minded coach underneath. Maybe even someone to groom as his replacement (I know Thibs won't see it this way, obviously). But I like this idea. Some up and coming young assistant out there. Someone who can balance out Thibs old defensive, grind it out strategies. This wasn't Thibs fault, but he could use an infusion of 'new NBA' offensive strategies.

9. Pray the slow game works out. Unless we do get a chance at a Dame/Kawhi (I still don't think it can happen), just play the long game.

TLDR: Don't re-sign DRose. That might put us back in the lottery again, which is fine by me. Let RJ/Quick/Obi/Mitch grow for a few more years before going all in, unless some superstars pop onto the market at an unexpected time.

Agree on Lillard should stand pat. But I did not get excited about getting a player 31-year player that eats 40% of the salary cap, which will deplete the team of assets. Especially if we cant get a second star better than Randle.

1) If Randle accepts the extension, we have to extend him (105/4). It would be a good deal.

4) I dont see we giving up Rose. But we can try to lowball him. Offering only a 1-year contract.

5) We wont get a rookie to be the team's brain under Thibs. But I think Ayo can be a shooting/combo guard (he is tall and shoot well). Cooper is an awful option.

6) Nunn and Graham might be good options.

7) I don't think it's feasible to move to 7-12 range. It would waste too many picks to get a no sure prospect. Maybe we can move to 13-18 trading 19 and 21 (maybe with other asset). But it would only be interesting if someone really special drops.

8) We will not build a team to tank. We will be pushed to win now bu fans, media, owner, Front Office, players. If we get a disappointing beginning to the season, we will trade.

All very valid points. Thanks for putting this together. Sounds like we're in agreement on a lot of things. I know it's not popular, but I say lets roll with IQ/Luka/Rookie PG/Maybe a trade for a Nunn or Graham. I like both of those players. Rose is just stalling the inevitable youth movement we have going on. I guess one more year is fine, but the only thing we're doing is taking playing time away from the others, and getting a few more unnecessary wins next year, which will only make our draft pick worse, like it did this year.

1) Tanking is not a possibility. We are not starting over. after the bigger step towards evolutions made in 20 years of the franchise. We are going to try to win.

2) The young movement is a mirage. Its a path we are not going to take. Its a small market team receipt to the success. If we gain the respectability of the stars, we can become a Top5 land spot in the NBA. Players want to play in New York.

3) We need a really awful team to properly tank and take a really high pick. A Mud/Mario/Knox/Lance/Kanter kind of bad. A 6-10 pick does not offer much greater hope of good players than a 10-20 pick.

4) Rose is helping the Knicks now. The downside is that he is an injury-prone player that can harm our future cap space if demand a multiple year contract.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,559

Post#329 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:24 am

NewKnicks wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
What is the ceiling for the Knicks with playoff Randle?

Depends on what they can do to improve the team. Nothing says that this is it is the problem most fans that are overreacting seem to be thinking. You do realize that the Knicks can actually improve and make moves right?

Some of you are acting like we're talking about blowing up a prime Shaq and Kobe based team.

And some of you are thinking that we can simply just draft the next Shaq or Kobe. How has that worked in the past 20 years? not just for the Knicks but for all but a few teams in the NBA?

This team has shown it does not belong in the playoffs. Adding Lonzo (or Lavine or Beal, etc.) will only marginally improve that.

Oh for the love of Pete Maravich, this team just started for goodness sake. You want to throw it out just because in one freaking season they weren't able to turn everything completely around? Seriously?

We're not really starting all over if we haven't committed long term money to Randle and the other assortment of mediocre to bad spare parts that comprise the core (Rose is an exception, he should be on a contender playing for 6th man of the year). We're just deciding to go youth development over maxing out the salary cap for, at best, an appearance in the conference semis.

Randle is the only seriously talented guy we have on this team. Stop the fantasies about Barrett being the next Kobe or IQ being anything more than just a solid bench guy and potential 6th man several years from now. You need talent to win in the NBA. I'm really not sure why so many fans still can't seem to understand that. Randle is not Lebron James. For the Knicks to be able to do what some of you fans want him to do he has to be. What honestly did you expect him to be able to do with this team? Yes he has crapped the playoffs. But he crapped last regular season too before "figuring it out" and having a terrific regular season in his 2nd year in NY. So how's about give him a chance for goodness freaking sake. Honestly, you would have dumped him last season for Nicolas Batum wouldn't you?

Lmao sorry to quote u idk how to find ENYKs post about playoff Randle.... Playoff Randle thats hilarious as if no player has played poorly in their first playoff series. Not all things are the same incase anyone wants to bring up well look at trae young.

Randle has to prove he can perform at a high level, all star, all pro level in the playoffs, no question. But to write him off is ignorant.
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#330 » by ENYK » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:30 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Lmao sorry to quote u idk how to find ENYKs post about playoff Randle.... Playoff Randle thats hilarious as if no player has played poorly in their first playoff series. Not all things are the same incase anyone wants to bring up well look at trae young.

Randle has to prove he can perform at a high level, all star, all pro level in the playoffs, no question. But to write him off is ignorant.

He wasn't just bad, he was historically bad...

How many players in Randle's mold do you see on contenders in 2021? He's an undersized, below the rim PF who needs high usage to get his numbers and create, but he clearly doesn't have the IQ to do that against defensive pressure.

But sure, he'll just keep getting better, we'll give him a max contract, and all of the best players will demand a trade to contend alongside the guy...

We have to pay him next year. If he puts up good regular season stats and crumbles again in the first round what do you do then? Lose him for nothing? Time is right to sell high... Or at the deadline if he doesn't completely kill his stock by regressing.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#331 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:42 am

ENYK wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

He wasn't just bad, he was historically bad...

How many players in Randle's mold do you see on contenders in 2021? He's an undersized, below the rim PF who needs high usage to get his numbers and create, but he clearly doesn't have the IQ to do that against defensive pressure.

But sure, he'll just keep getting better, we'll give him a max contract, and all of the best players will demand a trade to contend alongside the guy...

We have to pay him next year. If he puts up good regular season stats and crumbles again in the first round what do you do then? Lose him for nothing? Time is right to sell high... Or at the deadline if he doesn't completely kill his stock by regressing.

Undersized he's a 6'8 tank my ****. He's in tip top shape, I'd put him against nearly anyone in the NBA outside of Lebron James. Get Randle some help and READY talent around him. Hopefully IQ and RJ take make that jump which is a trade, draft pick in itself.

You really think players wouldn't want to play with Randle, for Thibs in NYC with the fan euphoria we just displayed in these playoffs? It's about moneybut thoseare factors and we have a lot going for us.

Randle wasn't ready for the pressure of being the face of the franchise in front of this fan base that's been playoff, great basketball starved for 20+ years. I trust Leon willmake the right decisionand I'm betting on Julius Randle.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,522

Post#332 » by aggo » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:52 am

we dont just need a "new" anything

we need a #1 option over randle be it PG, SG or SF
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#333 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:08 am

aggo wrote:we dont just need a "new" anything

we need a #1 option over randle be it PG, SG or SF

Idk if over Randle is necessarily the key although it would make his life much easier. They threw doubles at him all series. They weren't kidding when they said they had a plan how to attack him. Nobody else stepped up to take the pressure off him but Rose. Bullock was atrocious, the entire team struggled to jump shots, particularly 3's. Few could put the ball in the basket ans our defense was not the same as the regular season.

Our defense, 3pt shooting and Randle got us to the playoffs. All 3 were missing. Now we look to remedy that.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#334 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:12 am

NewKnicks wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:if we're counting on a Lavine coming here in 2 years we're in trouble. The Bulls didn't trade for Vuc to let Lavine walk. And there is no indication at all that he's looking to leave. He won't be coming here.

I think it's time to focus on things that could actually happen, not pipedreams with a .1% chance of happening.

Idk their roster is sort of bad outside of Vuc. Coby is a gunner and overlaps with Zach, Thaddeus is a good piece (but Randle has a better version of his game) they never figured out how to use Markkenan, and Wendell regressed. I like Pat Will but he is a few seasons away from his peak. They probably will add Lonzo, who does fit but we got to see if he can be consistent. None of this fixes the defensive issues either because the majority of the roster aren’t good defenders. Also, they gave up a mid lottery pick.

So behind the scenes Vuc really starts to make sense for the Bulls if you consider that he has the same agent as Zach and the trade was done from the “take care of the money” aspect. Flipside RJ has the same agent too and he and Zach (and Beal) work out. It’s far from a guarantee, but we have seen repeatedly how these business and training relationships factor into guys going to certain teams before. For both Zach and Beal the Knicks might be the best chance they have to be on good teams during their primes and get paid. They would come here and be the 1 a scorer with a team that has the second and third scorers, plays defense, and has a decent bench. Basically for the first time I can remember, the Knicks would be a good location. The biggest issue they need to worry about this off-season is starting PG. I like Nunn for them the most because he is undervalued by Miami due to Tyler Herro and Oladipo.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but thinking logically, the Bulls didn't trade for a 30 year old to allow their 26 year old All-Star walk. It makes zero sense. Obviously Lavine has a say in this, but he's never indicated he's unhappy. If you have a quote from him that alludes to him being unhappy, or considering other teams, please do provide it and prove me wrong.

Guaranteed the Bulls had extensive conversations with Lavine before the trade. You don't make a trade like that without checking in with your franchise player. And I'm sure Lavine re-upping with the Bulls was a big part of the conversation. The front office couldn't be stupid enough to make that trade with the idea that Lavine might leave in the next 2 years. Just doesn't make sense.

Also, you're really not being fair to the Bulls team this past year. Lavine missed a ton of games because of Covid, and the Bulls were in disarray most of the year. They will be better next year after a full off-season of practicing together. They have a lot of talent, and a good coach, they just need more time to gel. I'm not saying their going to be great, I'm just saying it's not fair to predict they're going to suck forever now based on what we saw in the 2nd half of the year.

Bulls will probably re-sign Lauri, and Pat Will should be a lot better next year. He got a ton of experience playing a lot of minutes, and that should help him a lot. He's a really hard worker, and most people agree the sky is the limit with that kid.

They might move on from Coby, and they still have some pretty good assets to put together for another trade. If they really wanted to, they could trade Coby/Lauri/Thad plus a first. That's a damn good package and could net a pretty good player in return. If they made a trade like that, they could have their 'Big 3' in Lavine/Vuc/3rd player, plus Pat Will. That could work for them as well. Or, they could include Pat Will, which would make the package a ton better.

I'm just saying it's too soon to write them off yet. We sit here and rip other teams and don't pay attention to what our roster looks like in comparison (not saying you're doing that).

You could be very right, but it’s a whole season and teams have traded for players before and got nothing to show for it.

Anyhow, end of the day this FA is worst than next years by a noticeable amount. If there is a chance to get Lavine or Beal in FA, but you gave it up to treadmill long term by signing guys like Lonzo Ball, Norman Powell or Oubre long term or even just signing the guys we already have who are looking for a raise. The. your basically giving up :dontknow: :nonono:
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,281

Post#335 » by RHODEY » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:16 am

My first time hearing this...

NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#336 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:34 am

Richard4444 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Basically this.... The Knicks should try to move Randle for whatever they can get in a first round pick this year or a young building block...

I predict it's only going to get worse from here. Randle looks mentally broken out there. He might put up decent numbers next year but this upward trajectory is going to start to trend downward. Fans are back, and teams know how to stop him in pretty spectacular fashion now.

If you could get a 7-12 draft slot for Randle, I make the trade. Move on if possible, and roll with our youth, plus the three draft picks we'd have. Then, you could package the two 1sts in the 20's (and maybe next years 1st) to move up to the same 7-12. Draft two potential studs, and add them to RJ/Obi/IQ/Mitch. I've made my decision, and this is the direction I would want to go in. It won't happen though. NY would lose their sh*t if they traded their All-Star (regardless of his pathetic playoff performance). Dolan won't let that happen. Or will he??

Knicks will not "tank" next season. We need stars to compete. They could think about trade Randle if they could find other stars to lead the team. But there is almost no chance of this happen. We are stuck with Randle.

Are you really in Sao Paolo? I will be traveling there in August. My girlfriend owns a business there (she's from SP originally), and she needs to go back for a few weeks. Love SP, and I love Brazil. People are so kind and friendly. I always have a great time when I'm there. Cheers.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,414

Post#337 » by Synciere » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:39 am

We can’t have nothing nice.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#338 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:43 am

robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Depends on the cost. If they were free agents I’d be less reluctant to take a chance, if we are giving up big assets to trade for them the FO better be damn sure we are getting another core piece in return

Agreed. But I think both of those players have bright futures, and we need an infusion of young talent. We are not going to see many other opportunities like this one (if Cleveland drafts Suggs/Cade). There simply are not a lot of ways to improve our roster next year. This would be one of them, though.
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 554

Post#339 » by Signature NYK » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:47 am

NewKnicks wrote:if we're counting on a Lavine coming here in 2 years we're in trouble. The Bulls didn't trade for Vuc to let Lavine walk. And there is no indication at all that he's looking to leave. He won't be coming here.

I think it's time to focus on things that could actually happen, not pipedreams with a .1% chance of happening.

Trade for both Lavine and Vuc? :D
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#340 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:57 am

Richard4444 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Agree on Lillard should stand pat. But I did not get excited about getting a player 31-year player that eats 40% of the salary cap, which will deplete the team of assets. Especially if we cant get a second star better than Randle.

1) If Randle accepts the extension, we have to extend him (105/4). It would be a good deal.

4) I dont see we giving up Rose. But we can try to lowball him. Offering only a 1-year contract.

5) We wont get a rookie to be the team's brain under Thibs. But I think Ayo can be a shooting/combo guard (he is tall and shoot well). Cooper is an awful option.

6) Nunn and Graham might be good options.

7) I don't think it's feasible to move to 7-12 range. It would waste too many picks to get a no sure prospect. Maybe we can move to 13-18 trading 19 and 21 (maybe with other asset). But it would only be interesting if someone really special drops.

8) We will not build a team to tank. We will be pushed to win now bu fans, media, owner, Front Office, players. If we get a disappointing beginning to the season, we will trade.

All very valid points. Thanks for putting this together. Sounds like we're in agreement on a lot of things. I know it's not popular, but I say lets roll with IQ/Luka/Rookie PG/Maybe a trade for a Nunn or Graham. I like both of those players. Rose is just stalling the inevitable youth movement we have going on. I guess one more year is fine, but the only thing we're doing is taking playing time away from the others, and getting a few more unnecessary wins next year, which will only make our draft pick worse, like it did this year.

1) Tanking is not a possibility. We are not starting over. after the bigger step towards evolutions made in 20 years of the franchise. We are going to try to win.

2) The young movement is a mirage. Its a path we are not going to take. Its a small market team receipt to the success. If we gain the respectability of the stars, we can become a Top5 land spot in the NBA. Players want to play in New York.

3) We need a really awful team to properly tank and take a really high pick. A Mud/Mario/Knox/Lance/Kanter kind of bad. A 6-10 pick does not offer much greater hope of good players than a 10-20 pick.

4) Rose is helping the Knicks now. The downside is that he is an injury-prone player that can harm our future cap space if demand a multiple year contract.

I knew my idea to let Rose walk would be unpopular, but I still think it's the right move. We're not going anywhere with him, and all he is doing is taking more minutes from other players.

All this might be a moot point though. Rose will get a lot of interest from the better teams in the league, and if I'm him, I go ring chasing. This is his last chance to win a championship. Plus, he didn't exactly look too happy the last two games. We might not not even get the choice to bring him back or not.

Return to New York Knicks