ImageImageImageImageImage

Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Re: Round 2, Game 1: Clippers at Jazz, June 8, 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#341 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:03 am

PG or Kawhi had to take that last shot. Just gotta contain Mitchell. I don't want to see another Luka situation on our hands.
PG was garbage even though he started to fight through it and show some life in the end. Rip away on him, we all know its coming. Both the stars were gassed though. Should've ran some plays for Kennard. Hopefully this happens next game.

Ty Lue was a savant in the first half with his rotations so I didn't get why Cousins, Mann, Batum didn't get any action in the second half. Also the the small ball hurt us big time as we couldn't rebound for ****. Cousins and Zu were giving Gobert fits inside the paint. This looks like the series to ditch the small ball and body them up.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,224

Post#342 » by Scoundreldays » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:04 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:I will say trying to be positive atleast we kept it close, easily could've gotten blown out after the 3rd quarter most of 4th quarter meltdown. That being said a heartbreaker we lost.

We were up double digits at halftime. This was almost certainly the worst game the Jazz will play all series, and instead of capitalizing, we had the same old demoralizing Clipper meltdown that we always have in the second round. Not really seeing any positives here.

It's more of the Dallas series exausted me so I can't even get mad anymore.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#343 » by Vae Victus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:05 am

Morris has been providing less than nothing this whole game. Wasn't doing anything on D and wasnt hitting any 3s, Mann shoulda taken more of his mins, at least Mann played with some semblance of energy. PatBev aint gonna play no more, unless Conley is back and cooking us. I think Conley is likely to sit out a noather game to get as clsoe to 100% as possible. I mean why not, they beat us withotu him.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,082

Post#344 » by og15 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:06 am

Third quarter was the killer, but the Clippers were tied going into the 4th and still lost the 4th. Yea, you lose the third, but then the goal is win one quarter, and they couldn't do that either.

PG was just awful for most of the game, this was close to one of his tragic games, though he did salvage it somewhat with FT's, but his defense was also not sharp. Kawhi was poor too, but not awful. Tough one as the opportunity to win was right there.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#345 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:06 am

I’m so tired of single star players outscoring George and Leonard combined
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#346 » by Max Headrom » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:06 am

Clippers played horribly and still had a chance at the end against a rested team at home. Nothing from this game has me worried. We'll see how the boys look game 2 where you'll definitely see a much better Kawhi and PG
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#347 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:07 am

Clemenza wrote:PG or Kawhi had to take that last shot. Just gotta contain Mitchell. I don't want to see another Luka situation on our hands.
PG was garbage even though he started to fight through it and show some life in the end. Rip away on him, we all know its coming. Both the stars were gassed though. Should've ran some plays for Kennard. Hopefully this happens next game.

Ty Lue was a savant in the first half with his rotations so I didn't get why Cousins, Mann, Batum didn't get any action in the second half. Also the the small ball hurt us big time as we couldn't rebound for ****. Cousins and Zu were giving Gobert fits inside the paint. This looks like the series to ditch the small ball and body them up.

George's pattern of shrinking then trying to figure it out in the 4th is getting old fast.

This isn't Dallas. This is a good defensive team. You are one of our more skilled scorers.
Find you a set, show up, and play well the whole game.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,082

Post#348 » by og15 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:08 am

Morris is continuing his up and down play from the Dallas series. He's a guy who needs to play less. His size is not needed defensively like the last series, and maybe he needs some rest after the heavy minutes in the last couple of games vs Dallas.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#349 » by LamarWho » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:08 am

I thought PG shoulda taken the shot at the end. He made a couple 3s in the 4th and started to get into a bit of a rhythm at the end.

PG had a terrible game, but Sr. missed a bunch of good looks behind the arc. He's been inconsistent in the post season, so hopefully he'll shoot better than 1-9 tonight.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#350 » by jengmann3 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:11 am

NippySudz wrote:Pat bev has to play more next game.

This 100 percent. Him and or T mann. A little less Morris and Rondo maybe? But I just don't understand what the point is in having defensive guards if they are not going to match up with a guy like Donovan Mitchell. I'm not trying to take all the onus away from Kawhi and PG but to have them guarding 6'1 shifty guards every possession in the fourth, and getting screened and rolled just never makes sense to me. It happened last year with Jamal Murray as well. Winnable game, but also a game in which PG and Kawhi were in foul trouble and not in a great rhythm. The only scary thing is I'm just not sure there is a way we can contain Donovan Mitchell or Mike Conley. I really do feel like T Lue has to play matchups and put Mann and Beverley on their quicker guards as much as possible.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#351 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:11 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:I will say trying to be positive atleast we kept it close, easily could've gotten blown out after the 3rd quarter most of 4th quarter meltdown. That being said a heartbreaker we lost.

We were up double digits at halftime. This was almost certainly the worst game the Jazz will play all series, and instead of capitalizing, we had the same old demoralizing Clipper meltdown that we always have in the second round. Not really seeing any positives here.

Both stars gassed, PG shot like ****, Ty Lue went away from what worked in the first half by going the small ball route, Reggie not good, Morris not particularly good, Lue still tried to elevate Pat Bev yet again, the refs f*cked us over royally in this one... and we were still in it to the end.

The more minutes for Mann and Cousins, run some plays for Kennard, go big and traditional and ditch the small ball. Hopefully the stars are rested and ready to go especially PG and try to get a win on the road. Lue just has to make the adjustments immediately and not wait until a game 3
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#352 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:14 am

This is with Conley out btw.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#353 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:18 am

Good thing it’s only game 1. Make adjustments and we go from here.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#354 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:18 am

Clemenza wrote:PG shot like ****

He was mentally shook like always in the playoffs. That's not likely to change.

Ty Lue went away from what worked in the first half by going the small ball route... Lue still tried to elevate Pat Bev yet again

He's not a good coach, LeBron just made him look much better than he is. This is why I never liked the hire from day one.

Reggie not good

Reggie is a marginal player at best who is terrible defensively. We can't really expect much from him. Unfortunately, he's Lue's favorite player, so his minutes and role will never decrease.

Morris not particularly good

He has had one good game all playoffs and been terrible in every other game. Sadly, I think this is what we're getting from him.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 346

Post#355 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:21 am

Clemenza wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Both stars gassed, PG shot like ****, Ty Lue went away from what worked in the first half by going the small ball route, Reggie not good, Morris not particularly good, Lue still tried to elevate Pat Bev yet again, the refs f*cked us over royally in this one... and we were still in it to the end.

The more minutes for Mann and Cousins, run some plays for Kennard, go big and traditional and ditch the small ball. Hopefully the stars are rested and ready to go especially PG and try to get a win on the road. Lue just has to make the adjustments immediately and not wait until a game 3

Paul George wasnt gassed, he just sucks.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#356 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:23 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:PG shot like ****

He was mentally shook like always in the playoffs. That's not likely to change.

Ty Lue went away from what worked in the first half by going the small ball route... Lue still tried to elevate Pat Bev yet again

He's not a good coach, LeBron just made him look much better than he is. This is why I never liked the hire from day one.

Reggie not good

Reggie is a marginal player at best who is terrible defensively. We can't really expect much from him. Unfortunately, he's Lue's favorite player, so his minutes and role will never decrease.

Morris not particularly good

He has had one good game all playoffs and been terrible in every other game. Sadly, I think this is what we're getting from him.

He had to at least bring Mann and Cousins back in for a spell. I didn't get that at all. Cousins was causing Gobert fits in the first half not to mention his rebounding. There's a lot of screaming out on the net that we gotta make Mitchell go left which is correct. He's on the right hand driving literally all game long. The game plan is there. Lue's gotta put it in motion
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#357 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:24 am

Quake Griffin wrote:This is with Conley out btw.

Which is a big reason why I now strongly doubt we will win this series. They did this without one of the all-time Clipper killers. When Conley comes back, it all feels insurmountable.
Tomhomes33
Rookie
And1: 795

Post#358 » by Tomhomes33 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:26 am

Jazz missed 21 consecutive shots in the 1qtr and were down only 7..
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#359 » by esqtvd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:27 am

NippySudz wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:This Jazz team isn't impressive at all. I really like the Clippers chances this series. This is all fatigue

there are no rest days. Every game in this series is every other day. Really want us to win this one because its going to zap the energy later on.

Ty played this pretty much as I hoped [see previous]. Played everybody, kept Kawhi [36] and PG [37] under 40 minutes. Coming off an exhausting series on SUNDAY, no rest day since we flew to Utah on the "day off," no time to practice and put in new schemes for the Jazz on either end...

And STILL had a chance to steal this one.

Charley Barkley gave us all props on the postgame. Not even a minute to celebrate winning the Dallas series--with a nice win BTW. And we only lost by THREE??

Well, I'm having fun at least. There are a lot of positives to take away from this. Nobody stunk up the joint--even PG who still managed 20 points on 17 shots with 10 rebs and only a minus-3.

Donovan is a nice player and that was an incredible 45 points but he ain't no Doncic, who does it to us every night. Standing on one foot. ;-D
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#360 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:35 am

Another case against starting small again is we were stuck down 9 LAC- 10 UTA until 6:23 1st quarter. Zu finishes he quarter with Luke and we are up 25-18

Zu leaves 10:00 into the 2nd up 30-23 AND Cousins comes in.

Cousins leaves the game we are up 43-30 and mid 2nd and we small ball to close the quarter to hold the 13 point lead.

All of this undone to start the third

Return to Los Angeles Clippers