ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part V

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part V 

Post#141 » by sodmoraes » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:22 am

Noway we can get Lillard with Ben ( and a package). He's the laughingstock of the league with his bum shooting.
I would trade him for Cj easily. Its probably the best player we can get for Bum Simmons. Tired of him.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 803

Post#142 » by zaz102 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:31 am

Simmons somehow got a 4th place MVP vote and finished ahead of Harden, LeBron, and Kawhi...
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#143 » by the_process » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:35 am

I wouldn’t be willing to sell low on Ben. Keep him, stop babying him, and tell him no more PG crap you are now a rolling big man who is allowed to grab and go with rebounds sometimes. Call Klutch and tell them they are welcome to find a trade for their guy if they like, but that it has to be mutually beneficial.

Also, for once, I’m rooting hard for Klutch. If they can pull off selling Ben as the DPOY, that increases his value. Another 3rd team All NBA wouldn’t hurt, either. Sell your client to the voters, Rich!!

I still think you can flip him to Minnesota for a nice haul. He is boys with KAT and DLo, and he fits their games to a T. Beasley gets out of the clink, that’s one shooter to go with The Three Amigos. Just need one more 3 & D guy there and Minny might not suck anymore. The Sixers side of the deal is up in the air until we see the results of the lottery.
shlo
Junior
And1: 247

Post#144 » by shlo » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:42 am

the_process wrote:I wouldn’t be willing to sell low on Ben. Keep him, stop babying him, and tell him no more PG crap you are now a rolling big man who is allowed to grab and go with rebounds sometimes. Call Klutch and tell them they are welcome to find a trade for their guy if they like, but that it has to be mutually beneficial.

Also, for once, I’m rooting hard for Klutch. If they can pull off selling Ben as the DPOY, that increases his value. Another 3rd team All NBA wouldn’t hurt, either. Sell your client to the voters, Rich!!

I still think you can flip him to Minnesota for a nice haul. He is boys with KAT and DLo, and he fits their games to a T. Beasley gets out of the clink, that’s one shooter to go with The Three Amigos. Just need one more 3 & D guy there and Minny might not suck anymore. The Sixers side of the deal is up in the air until we see the results of the lottery.

Sixers should have traded him 2 years ago. The longer they hold on, the lower the value. There is no selling high on Ben moving forward.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#145 » by davesilver » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:45 am

Ben needs ayahuasca
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#146 » by sodmoraes » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:05 am

The sad thing is that his shooting regressed from the rookie year. He was way more confident in his jumper. He shot a couple of 15 ft jumpers every game. Nowadays he doesnt even look to the basket..

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#147 » by ConstableChaos » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:11 am

Wouldn't mind seeing one of those token photos of Simmons in an empty Wells Fargo arena shooting free throws on his own hours after the game finishes.

If Embiid and Harris can give you the main on ball scoring, Simmons gives you everything else. His FT are going to sink the Sixers methinks
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#148 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:00 am

Embiid with a bum knee scored 10 times more points than a healthy peak Simmons lmao
Horrible takes since 2016
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#149 » by PhillyNj » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:05 am

Time for Ben to move on. His lack of development has created his own fate.
If we can get any kinda fair value we should trade him, but he’s still a good player you just can’t dump him.
The question now is what is fair value?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#150 » by 76ciology » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:12 am

He played well in G2. All I need from him right now is to clamp down the opponent’s best players while creating opportunities for Green and Seth to take those 3s. And please make those freethrows.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#151 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:52 am

davesilver wrote:Ben needs ayahuasca

Maybe Phil Jackson. (Same difference, but a lot less vomiting.)
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 824

Post#152 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:35 pm

76ciology wrote:He played well in G2. All I need from him right now is to clamp down the opponent’s best players while creating opportunities for Green and Seth to take those 3s. And please make those freethrows.

That won't do it against the Nets/Jazz/Suns. He needs to score as well and be a threat that puts pressure on the opposing defense. He can't drive the length of the court, stop halfway through the paint, and turn around and look for somebody to dish the ball to. There is literally no other player in the league who functions in that manner. Christ, the diminutive Isaiah Thomas Jr. takes it to the hole in those situations, and Simmons is 6'10" 240.

Last night he was removed from the game in the clutch because of his liability at the free throw line. In the clutch he not only doesn't contribute with scoring -- he becomes a target for the other team! Look what happened last night when the team inserted a point guard who was an actual threat off the dribble and with shooting -- they won the game! That should be Simmons functioning in that manner! Is that not obvious?

The guy is done as a "superstar" in the league. This season and these playoffs have sealed his fate. The sample size of his play is now sufficient to close the book on him in that regard.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 167

Post#153 » by 9th Wonder » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:11 pm

I get the frustration with his offensive game. But can we take a minute to appreciate his defensive effort last night? He didn't just shut Trae down, he pretty well took him out of the game. Trae was kept out of the paint. PNRs were pushed to the sideline. He was even straight up taken off the ball for stretches. The Hawks just elected to run secondary stuff because Simmons wouldn't allow Trae to get into anything. It was really impressive.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#154 » by sixers4real » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:22 pm

Serious question: what did Simmons do wrong In Game 2?
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#155 » by 76ciology » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:35 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
76ciology wrote:He played well in G2. All I need from him right now is to clamp down the opponent’s best players while creating opportunities for Green and Seth to take those 3s. And please make those freethrows.

That won't do it against the Nets/Jazz/Suns. He needs to score as well and be a threat that puts pressure on the opposing defense. He can't drive the length of the court, stop halfway through the paint, and turn around and look for somebody to dish the ball to. There is literally no other player in the league who functions in that manner. Christ, the diminutive Isaiah Thomas Jr. takes it to the hole in those situations, and Simmons is 6'10" 240.

Last night he was removed from the game in the clutch because of his liability at the free throw line. In the clutch he not only doesn't contribute with scoring -- he becomes a target for the other team! Look what happened last night when the team inserted a point guard who was an actual threat off the dribble and with shooting -- they won the game! That should be Simmons functioning in that manner! Is that not obvious?

The guy is done as a "superstar" in the league. This season and these playoffs have sealed his fate. The sample size of his play is now sufficient to close the book on him in that regard.

He is what he is.

If you expect him to be a scorer or superstar, you’ll just be disappointed.

If you view him as what he is, as a role player, then he can be special.

And given our circumstance, he just have to be a superstar in his role. Which is clamping down star scorers like Trae, possibly KD or Giannis by any means necessary. Getting us a lot of transition offense. And getting our shooters good looks and getting them the ball by drop offs, screens and passing.

He is what he is. Accept it and it’s the only way to move forward and win the championship right now.

And in the offseason, we’ll just have to assess the situation and explore all possibilities.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#156 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:53 pm

9th Wonder wrote:I get the frustration with his offensive game. But can we take a minute to appreciate his defensive effort last night? He didn't just shut Trae down, he pretty well took him out of the game. Trae was kept out of the paint. PNRs were pushed to the sideline. He was even straight up taken off the ball for stretches. The Hawks just elected to run secondary stuff because Simmons wouldn't allow Trae to get into anything. It was really impressive.

And with a team with just one threat to pour in 30+ points (i.e., the Hawks with Young), that can be effective. The problem is that the teams winning championships in today's NBA don't have just one of those players. So you can't just shut down one of the multiple of them on those teams and hope to win while getting no scoring from one of your own supposedly great players. The Nets could very well beat this team 130 to 110 on a regular basis. And the missing ~20 points in that scenario are coming from Ben Simmons.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#157 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:56 pm

sixers4real wrote:Serious question: what did Simmons do wrong In Game 2?

Nothing. But when that's game two against the Nets, it'll be that he scored only 4 points and took only 3 shots, and the Sixers lost 130 to 110.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#158 » by mike76 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:57 pm

Game 1: Ben scores 17 points and we lose
Game 2: Ben scores 4 points and we win.

I'm not saying Ben shouldn't score points.

I just find it interesting how we use Ben's ppg as the benchmark for whether it was a moral victory or moral loss.

Like it's crazy to me that
a) people seem more obsessed with Ben's individual stats than the actual team's success
b) that people haven't realized that there isn't a one to one relationship between ben individually scoring more points and us actually winning games.

Like i'm not even the biggest ben stan, but using ppg on a game-by-game basis as a referendum on Ben's career is just flat out nauseating and speaks to a lack of intelligence on the board.

edit: in terms of Ben's actual game. I thought his defense on Trae was fantastic. I thought his off ball defense was fantastic, broke up a few lobs to capela, some good stunts. I thought his passing in transition was fantastic. I would like to see Doc run more sets for Ben in non-Embiid minutes. More elbow touches or give him a spaced out court where he can do some damage on the short roll. But he had a great game overall.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#159 » by kio80 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:07 pm

mike76 wrote:Game 1: Ben scores 17 points and we lose

I just find it interesting how we use Ben's ppg as the benchmark for whether it was a moral victory or moral loss.

a) people seem more obsessed with Ben's individual stats than the actual team's success
b) that people haven't realized that there isn't a one to one relationship between ben individually scoring more points and us actually winning games.

Like i'm not even the biggest ben stan, but using ppg on a game-by-game basis as a referendum on Ben's career is just flat out nauseating and speaks to a lack of intelligence on the board.

edit: in terms of Ben's actual game. I thought his defense on Trae was fantastic. I thought his off ball defense was fantastic, broke up a few lobs to capela, some good stunts. I thought his passing in transition was fantastic. I would like to see Doc run more sets for Ben in non-Embiid minutes. More elbow touches or give him a spaced out court where he can do some damage on the short roll. But he had a great game overall.

Thats true, can't say I will be happy if Ben plays like Luka but the team gets bounced in the first round, I guess most fans just wanted way more cause of his contract size, and he always seem so distracted from all these gaming and ig model bs, he's more of a celebrity than a bball player, and it doesnt bold well with most.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#160 » by mike76 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:13 pm

kio80 wrote:
mike76 wrote:Game 1: Ben scores 17 points and we lose

Thats true, can't say I will be happy if Ben plays like Luka but the team gets bounced in the first round, I guess most fans just wanted way more cause of his contract size, and he always seem so distracted from all these gaming and ig model bs, he's more of a celebrity than a bball player, and it doesnt bold well with most.

maybe fans should just get out of their feelings and just focus on what's happening on the court and whether the team is winning or not and why the team is winning or not. but to each their own.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers