Build a dream team that maximizes Nikola Jokic

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

giordunk
Analyst
And1: 493

Build a dream team that maximizes Nikola Jokic 

Post#1 » by giordunk » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:19 am

Build a team that maximizes Nikola Jokic's skillset while minimizing his weaknesses.

This is a pretty lazy pick but I can't really imagine anything much better than the Steph-KD Warriors core, which is what past teams built around Jokic have kind of build like (Curry/Murray, KD/Porter Jr, Draymond/Millsap, Klay and 3&D guard)

To make things a little more interesting, I do think it's a waste to not go for pure scoring firepower if you have a wizard like Jokic on your team.

PG - Jrue Holiday
SG - Bradley Beal
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo

Less playmaking expected out of the point guard position but Jrue is more than enough to be a de facto ball-handler on this team. Main value is his defense to minimize chances of Jokic being the last line of defense at the rim.

I still just want to keep Kevin Durant in there just because he's the best 'bucket getter' in the NBA.

Since this is a "dream team' Giannis is added in there for rim protection and rim running ability.

Offense still runs through Jokic.

6th man would be a guy like Clarkson who just has the green light to shoot.
i like peanuts
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Re: Build a dream team that maximizes Nikola Jokic 

Post#2 » by Rich Michmond » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:30 am

I'll make it semi-realistic:

Nikola Jokić
Rasheed Wallace
Otto Porter
Danny Green
Chauncey Billups

Sixth Man: Danilo Gallinari
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#3 » by GSP » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:50 am

Lowry
Klay
Anunoby
Ak47
Jokic
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:27 am

giordunk wrote:Build a team that maximizes Nikola Jokic's skillset while minimizing his weaknesses.

This is a pretty lazy pick but I can't really imagine anything much better than the Steph-KD Warriors core, which is what past teams built around Jokic have kind of build like (Curry/Murray, KD/Porter Jr, Draymond/Millsap, Klay and 3&D guard)

To make things a little more interesting, I do think it's a waste to not go for pure scoring firepower if you have a wizard like Jokic on your team.

PG - Jrue Holiday
SG - Bradley Beal
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo

Less playmaking expected out of the point guard position but Jrue is more than enough to be a de facto ball-handler on this team. Main value is his defense to minimize chances of Jokic being the last line of defense at the rim.

I still just want to keep Kevin Durant in there just because he's the best 'bucket getter' in the NBA.

Since this is a "dream team' Giannis is added in there for rim protection and rim running ability.

Offense still runs through Jokic.

6th man would be a guy like Clarkson who just has the green light to shoot.

I think hardly maximizes Jokic since all those guys can and do regularly create offense for themselves. His numbers and actual impact would be down. This would maximize Myles Turner.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#5 » by 70sFan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:35 am

I'd like to see Jokic in 1967 Sixers system. Wilt led them to absurd domination, but Jokic might be even better in that role.
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#6 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:37 am

70sFan wrote:I'd like to see Jokic in 1967 Sixers system. Wilt led them to absurd domination, but Jokic might be even better in that role.

Again, too many creators and scorers to maximize his value. Plug him in for Walton in the late 70s Blazer's offense and hope that Lucas, Gross, Hollins and company give you enough defense to still win a title. And . . . you can make it work for more than 1 year!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:37 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
70sFan wrote:I'd like to see Jokic in 1967 Sixers system. Wilt led them to absurd domination, but Jokic might be even better in that role.

Again, too many creators and scorers to maximize his value. Plug him in for Walton in the late 70s Blazer's offense and hope that Lucas, Gross, Hollins and company give you enough defense to still win a title. And . . . you can make it work for more than 1 year!

These systems were not that different, although Sixers did have more scorers than Blazers.
KeithCozart
Junior
And1: 519

Post#8 » by KeithCozart » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:53 pm

Lillard
Irving
Durant
Green
Jokic
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#9 » by Saints14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:06 pm

Curry
Klay
PG13
AD
Jokic
Im Your Father
Senior
And1: 254

Post#10 » by Im Your Father » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:00 pm

GSP wrote:Lowry
Klay
Anunoby
Ak47
Jokic

Love the AK47 fit.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#11 » by homecourtloss » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:01 pm

Not defensively.

Obviously a lot of this is due to the one blowout loss but and a small sample size, but Jokic with all the offensive greatness hasn’t been dominant on court primarily due to defense though that’s not all his fault.

Nuggets with Jokic on court:
119.2 ORtg, 124.1 DRtg

Nuggets with Jokic off court:
121.8 ORtg, 114.5 DRtg
+7.3

ON-OFF: -12.2 per 100 possessions

Jokic is an offensive savant and the regular season lineups didn’t matter who was on court as he produced great offense. But 7 games played with these numbers isn’t good.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
70sFan
RealGM

Post#12 » by 70sFan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:45 pm

homecourtloss wrote:

Not defensively.

Obviously a lot of this is due to the one blowout loss but and a small sample size, but Jokic with all the offensive greatness hasn’t been dominant on court primarily due to defense though that’s not all his fault.

Nuggets with Jokic on court:
119.2 ORtg, 124.1 DRtg

Nuggets with Jokic off court:
121.8 ORtg, 114.5 DRtg
+7.3

ON-OFF: -12.2 per 100 possessions

Jokic is an offensive savant and the regular season lineups didn’t matter who was on court as he produced great offense. But 7 games played with these numbers isn’t good.

Yeah, surely I was talking about offensive end only. Jokic can't touch Wilt on defense.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#13 » by ShotCreator » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:57 pm

Mills
Ginobili
Korver
Horry
Jokic

That would be a deadly highly synergistic team on both ends.

Murray
Drexler
Bridges
AK47
Jokic

Crazy cut/shoot combos here.

Simmons
Reggie Miller
Marion
Christian Wood
Jokic

Good luck predicting just about any play action against any of these teams.
Swinging for the fences.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,175

Post#14 » by dygaction » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:43 pm

It will be fascinating to find out how Jokic would do in 2004-2006 Ben Wallace role as they are the two extremes.
Billups
Hamilton
Prince
Rasheed
Jokic
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#15 » by Outside » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:47 pm

Curry
Dumars
Durant
Duncan
Jokic

Curry and Jokic seem tailor-made for each other offensively. Curry as the greatest three-point shooter of all time and having the greatest off-ball gravity would be on any dream team I would construct. They have the downside of not being great defenders, but their blistering offensive synergy overwhelms that. I did pick the rest of the squad with defense in mind, though.

I picked Dumars because of the combination of defense and complete offensive skills while not being the type of guy who has to have the ball to feed his ego. I could be convinced to go with Billups or Klay here. What wouldn't be a good fit is a guard who has to have the ball to be effective, because that's Jokic's job.

Durant I'm not sure about. I personally think he's somewhat overrated defensively, and the whole ego thing would make me pause, but this is a dream team scenario, and in this fever dream, Durant is his best self as a teammate. As long as his head would be right, having Durant would make for yet more awesome offense.

Timmy was my first pick after Curry. Great interior D to complement/compensate for Jokic, great at everything, low maintenance, would be happy with fewer touches on a dream team.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#16 » by Woodsanity » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:12 pm

Giannis makes up for Jokic's averagish defense while Jokic helps Giannis with closing. Jrue/Conley are great all around PGs who play good defense. Bogdan and Bridges are good shooters and Bridges is a nice two way wing, Bogdan is a solid defender.

Overall great spacing outside of Giannis who is a mediocre shooter and very good defense.

PG: Jrue Holiday/Conley
SG: Bogdan Bogdanovic
SF: Mikal Bridges
PF: Giannis
C: Jokic

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:31 pm

Something you could actually maybe have:

Old man Kidd
pre-injuries Wes Matthews
Kawhi (my 2nd star)
PJ Tucker
Jokic

bench -- Maxi Kleber, Tony Snell, Eddie House, Satoranksy, Mason Plumlee
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,286

Post#18 » by lilroddyb » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:46 pm

I'm going with big three. I think KG and Curry are the perfect Joker teammates.

Nikola Jokic
Kevin Garnett
Shane Battier
Danny Green
Steph curry
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#19 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:02 am

Billups
Allen