ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#81 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:43 pm

Any chance we can trade Brunson for Campazzo?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#82 » by Bob8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:49 pm

Luka need to convince Jokic to come in Dallas. Not this year of course...They could play alone, just put 3 defenders beside them, you don't even need a coach.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#83 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:51 pm

If the Mavs were to keep KP, you have to bench DFS and Kleber and get better starters there.

C- ??? / WCS / Boban
PF- Porzingis / Kleber / Powell
SF- ??? / DFS / Green
SG- THJ / JRich
PG- Doncic / Brunson

That's how it looks with KP there. Without KP you can start one of Kleber or DFS. Not both.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#84 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:52 pm

This is pretty damning stuff. Particularly the part about playing a lineup that's never played together all season in game 7 of a playoff series. I don't understand why Carlisle is instantly back without any scrutiny at all.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#85 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:53 pm

Bob8 wrote:Luka need to convince Jokic to come in Dallas. Not this year of course...They could play alone, just put 3 defenders beside them, you don't even need a coach.

Jokic is represented by Jeff Schwartz. So that's good news.

Jokic's contract in Denver expires the same year KP can opt out via PO. So that's good too.

Maybe he gets too cold in Denver and likes some Texas sun for a change.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#86 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:54 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote: I don't understand why Carlisle is instantly back without any scrutiny at all.

Cuban said the grass is not always greener. So I guess it's just the lack of available replacements. I mean if Pop were available.. maybe Carlisle gets the boot.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:06 pm

arkuo wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote: I don't understand why Carlisle is instantly back without any scrutiny at all.

Cuban said the grass is not always greener. So I guess it's just the lack of available replacements. I mean if Pop were available.. maybe Carlisle gets the boot.

Yeah, that's true. We'd need a better option. I don't think Cuban did an exhaustive search of possible replacements in the 20 minutes following the game 7 loss tho. He issued that statement right away, without bothering to look or talk to anyone.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#88 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:25 pm

Who would you rather sign?

THJ for 4 years $80M

or

Goran Dragic for 1 year $25M?
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#89 » by agentofatlas » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:28 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:This is pretty damning stuff. Particularly the part about playing a lineup that's never played together all season in game 7 of a playoff series. I don't understand why Carlisle is instantly back without any scrutiny at all.

While he's not perfect, I think trust Rick more than a youtuber in this instance. Especially that youtuber.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#90 » by Archx » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:38 pm

arkuo wrote:Who would you rather sign?

THJ for 4 years $80M

or

Goran Dragic for 1 year $25M?

Obviously THJ. Mavs already lost Curry, you lose THJ then what's left? KP and DFS on the perimeter. Unless you think Jrich is a reliable replacement for THJ.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#91 » by JJP » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:35 pm

Regarding Cuban and Carlisle:

My guess is that these two have set all sorts of goals - short term and long term - and that they monitor these goals regularly. I suspect they talk regularly, and that they all understand the advanced metrics of what they are doing offensively and defensively.

NBA front offices are professional organizations that have professional strategies for coaching evaluations. Cuban will likely sit down with Carlisle to discuss the difficulties of this season and the ideas for next season. But clearly, Cuban, Nelson, and Carlisle have a very long relationship that isn't likely to break up because of the setbacks this season. It should not be surprising that Cuban made a positive comment regarding Carlisle's future here. As a coach, Carlisle is a top-tier coach, respected around the league, and he reflects well on Dallas.

Donnie Nelson is another matter. He is more responsible for player acquisitions, drafts, and trades. I have no idea how Cuban regards Donnie, but given the length of the relationship, I have to assume it's good. But if there was real problems between Carlisle and Donnie's decision-making, I would assume Nelson would bear the brunt of responsibility rather than Carlisle. It seems to me the real problems with this team aren't coaching problems. The more recognizable problems are player weaknesses, draft failures, and the lack of trades. Those would be harder to defend.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:14 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:This is pretty damning stuff. Particularly the part about playing a lineup that's never played together all season in game 7 of a playoff series. I don't understand why Carlisle is instantly back without any scrutiny at all.

While he's not perfect, I think trust Rick more than a youtuber in this instance. Especially that youtuber.

I happen to like BBALLBREAKDOWN. Is he as good as an NBA coach? Probably not. He hasn't had the opportunity. Does he understand more about Xs & Os than you or I? Definitely so.

If he were an NBA coach, could he win more than 0 playoff series in 10 years? With a talent like Luka Doncic on the roster, maybe. Certainly can't do any worse than not winning a single playoff series in 10 years. There's no reason for Carlisle to feel safe with that track record.

I think BBALLBREAKDOWN would not have pulled Luka Doncic up by 19 points in the 1Q of game 3, up 2-0 on the Clippers. That was a big mistake. Damning. So is sending out 5 guys who haven't played with each other all season for game 7 of a 1st round series with likely the eventual Western Conference representative in the NBA Finals, and doing so late in the 3Q with the game very much in doubt. What was that???
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#93 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:42 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:When considering who the Mavs will target this off season (FA or trade) you have to consider what Carlisle is saying here.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is absolutely no one that fits that description in 2021 free agency. Especially considering what the Mavs can afford.

The other side of the equation is if said free agent would want to come to Dallas and do the dirty work here. Not a lot of vets would agree to be a whipping boy for a 22 year old Euro kid. Usually the "rugged" types would like to hang with fellow "rugged" American types. Just sayin.

In essence they are looking for a Kevin Love who would agree to bend over, ditch Minnesota, and do chores for Lebron. Not a lot of choices for a 22 year old European kid.

I think you have to expand this beyond just free agency. You have to factor in potential trades.

I still like the idea of trading for Myles Turner and TJ Warren. Turner provides the defense while also being able to stretch the defense on the offensive side. Warren provides more offense.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#94 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:45 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
JD45 wrote:
Archx wrote:Apparently like some trolls on these forums, Donnie also thinks Luka is the problem. Maybe Cuban should tell him to turn on the TV from time to time and actually watch some games first before talking.

Read on Twitter

I must be one of those trolls because I don't disagree with the comment.

If Luka and KP are to win a championship together I think KP needs to be the Mavs leading scorer and Luka lead the NBA in assists.

That would be fine except KP is not capable of being the top scorer. How is he going to score? He cant post up, he cant drive, he doesnt cut enough, doesnt roll... He will not be hitting 7 threes a game and make 7 FTs. Luka on the other hand can get 30 in his sleep with high efficiency which will be even higher next year when he improves his FTs.

I really think the problem with KP is that he’s used to being a rigid offense where set plays are called for him. It’s not that he can’t post up it’s that he’s not used to doing it on his own without a play being called for him. You put him in a more structured offense and he could thrive. He’s already proven he can score in the NBA, it’s just a matter of him being comfortable in the offense, and health of course.

XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#95 » by XTraderXL » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:13 pm

Mr B wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
JD45 wrote:
I must be one of those trolls because I don't disagree with the comment.

If Luka and KP are to win a championship together I think KP needs to be the Mavs leading scorer and Luka lead the NBA in assists.

That would be fine except KP is not capable of being the top scorer. How is he going to score? He cant post up, he cant drive, he doesnt cut enough, doesnt roll... He will not be hitting 7 threes a game and make 7 FTs. Luka on the other hand can get 30 in his sleep with high efficiency which will be even higher next year when he improves his FTs.

I really think the problem with KP is that he’s used to being a rigid offense where set plays are called for him. It’s not that he can’t post up it’s that he’s not used to doing it on his own without a play being called for him. You put him in a more structured offense and he could thrive. He’s already proven he can score in the NBA, it’s just a matter of him being comfortable in the offense, and health of course.

Post up is a post up. Doesnt matter if a play is called for you or not. He was getting the ball in good spots but why keep doing that if he cant back up PGs? He has stiff legs, his center of gravity is high and of course everyone can move him. Surely KP is not as bad as he has been playing recently but there is no way he can be the best scorer on a team with Luka and be more efficient than he is. The best thing for everyone at this point is to move him. I guess opinions of him throught the NBA are mixed, just like here so there should be some relatively good packages offered to the Mavs.

On the other hand we dont really know whats going on internally so lets wait and see. I would love it if he came back and be a legit #2 but I am 99% that he is not capable of that.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#96 » by JD45 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:37 am

XTraderXL wrote:
Post up is a post up. Doesnt matter if a play is called for you or not. He was getting the ball in good spots but why keep doing that if he cant back up PGs? He has stiff legs, his center of gravity is high and of course everyone can move him. Surely KP is not as bad as he has been playing recently but there is no way he can be the best scorer on a team with Luka and be more efficient than he is. The best thing for everyone at this point is to move him. I guess opinions of him throught the NBA are mixed, just like here so there should be some relatively good packages offered to the Mavs.

On the other hand we dont really know whats going on internally so lets wait and see. I would love it if he came back and be a legit #2 but I am 99% that he is not capable of that.

Early in game 6 or 7 there was a play the Mavs ran where KP used at least one and maybe two screen to allow him to get position in the right low post. Just as he got there the ball was thrown to him before the defender could try to push him out. KP turned and although it looked awkward, threw in the little 3 foot shot. It was part of a flurry of KP plays where he scored easily early in the game. And then they never did it again for the entire game.

KP can't back smaller players into the paint. He lacks strength and his dribble is too high. He needs plays to get him the ball in the right spot at the right time. But he can cash it in. But its going to have to be a part of the gameplan they keep running.

And I don't mean that all the KP problems are just coaching. KP needs to build his strength and skill set for post play so there are a lot more scenarios where he can score. But there were some that worked this year and the Mavs didn't stick with them.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,399

Post#97 » by Mavrelous » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:28 am

Man, the Jazz are already tax payers next season without resigning Conely, he'll be 34, but he's exactly what the Mavs need, I think 60/3 or 80/3 with 3rd year TO should get him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#98 » by swaggerbox » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:33 am

I think Cuban is partly to be blamed for this mess. Donnie wanted Giannis but Cuban wanted to save dollars for Dwight Howard. In the last draft, the scouting guys wanted Saddiq Bey but the analytics guys wanted Josh Green. Cuban broke the stalemate and went with Green. What is the use then of the scouting dept if Cuban wont listen to them. Pretty sure Delon Wright FA was the result of the Analytics dept's work.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#99 » by Mr B » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:40 pm

swaggerbox wrote:I think Cuban is partly to be blamed for this mess. Donnie wanted Giannis but Cuban wanted to save dollars for Dwight Howard. In the last draft, the scouting guys wanted Saddiq Bey but the analytics guys wanted Josh Green. Cuban broke the stalemate and went with Green. What is the use then of the scouting dept if Cuban wont listen to them. Pretty sure Delon Wright FA was the result of the Analytics dept's work.

You realize if they had taken Giannis they would be in no position to then draft Doncic right?

Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#100 » by Bnice5 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:13 pm

sounds like we need a new analytics dept then

Return to Dallas Mavericks