Some more of that KP baby, from Boston to LA

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Some more of that KP baby, from Boston to LA 

Post#1 » by realEAST » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:22 pm

So a three team deal, involving Celtics, Mavericks and Clippers.

*Trade would be agreed upon during or ahead of Draft night, but executed after the Draft, when Kennard's extension kicks in.

DAL in: Kennard, Zubac, Nesmith, #16
DAL out: Porzinigs, Burke

BOS in: Beverly, Porzingis
BOS out: K. Walker, Nesmith, #16

LAC in: K. Walker, T. Burke
LAC out: Kennard, Beverly, Zubac

Dallas adds some talented youth which should fit the team (defensive big man and shooters) and somewhat trim their payroll, opening additional five+ millions in cap space. Kennard had a very good offensive season in Detroit prior to his injury, but should thrive in role along Doncic, and Nesmith seems like a perfect fit for Mavs system. Adding these two players also gives them luxury to renounce Hardaway, along Richardson, which would open up around 40 milions in cap space to add upgrades in FA (potentially stretching Powell opens up additional 7.5 millions if necessary).
If bench looks something like Brunson-Kennard-Green-Nesmith-Kleber-Powell-#16 it leaves two spots open in starting lineup along Doncic, DFS and Zubac, and 40 mil in cap space to do so. Lowry + somebody (D. Green?) would be my first guess / choice, but options are there.
Bottom line, I think this move helps Mavs retool, adding some youth alongside Doncic long term, and opening cap space enables them to bring in some high level vets which should make this team better next season.

Boston swaps one injury prone guy for the other, but Porzingis is on smaller contract (Kemba's last year is player option, so he also has three year remaining as KP), is younger and a better fit. Besides that, Boston has personnel to make it work with him - I think playing R. Williams along Porzingis would make a pretty good and well balanced frontcourt (Thompson and G. Wiliams nicely round off big men rotation). Beverly gives them another defensive minded guard who can play on and off the ball, which makes him good fit with Pritchard or Smart and along Tatum and Brown. They also save million or two against the cap.

Smart-Brown-Tatum-R.Williams-Porzingis
Pritchard-Beverly-MLE-G.Williams-Thompson

Clippers add pretty good offensive PG who can take a lot of pressure off Kwahi and George when it comes to initiating offense, but can also catch fire and take over offensively. good thing with him is his ability to play on and off the ball. They make as good addition as they can with very limited assets, while Kemba's cap hit is slightly alleviated by moving out Kennard. They can find backup center with MLE. T. Burke offers another shooter off the bench.

Walker-George-Kwahi-Morris-Ibaka
Rondo-Burke-Mann-#25-Batum-MLE
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Re: Some more of that KP baby, from Boston to LA 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:26 pm

Put me down as a big fat yes as Dallas. I think Boston should get to keep Nesmith though. Or 16 if they prefer. Or maybe it goes to the Clippers. But Dallas shouldn't need both pieces of incentive imo. And wouldn't stop me from making the deal as Dallas.

Kennard making me look good btw after I got killed on here for being his lone believer. 8-)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#3 » by JD45 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:33 pm

I could see Dallas doing something like this. I like KP a lot more than most, so I think he is by far the best player in the deal. But all those pieces going to Dallas make sense. I think Zubac and Luka are friends and Dallas was interested in Nesmith in the draft, so there is likely interest.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,337

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:39 pm

Depends on whether Boston agrees to be a tax payer for the next 3 years (instead of 2 currently but worse fit), I think value is fine, except like TC said, Neismith and 16th can be reduced.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#5 » by mademan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:43 pm

Clips might make a panic move like this, but i dont see how this makes them better.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#6 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:43 pm

Yeah I'd be down for Dallas. They're not getting anything special, but Kennard can theoretically spread the floor, and Zubac's nose hair has more fight and grit than Porzingis' entire body
pro24
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#7 » by pro24 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:48 pm

Bad deal for Clippers imo but pretty close.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,980

Post#8 » by Apz » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:49 pm

Orginal post is actually something i would do. Damn, thought I would never say that after those horrible draft suggestion days.
enzino
Veteran
And1: 141

Post#9 » by enzino » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:51 pm

i'd cut LA and do the deal between DAL and BOS:
Porzinigs for Kemba, Nesmith, #16
Porzinigs for Kemba, RW II
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,833

Post#10 » by ejftw » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:40 pm

Yeah, Clips aren't giving up Zu for the privilege of taking on Kemba
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by realEAST » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:17 pm

Okay, so looks like Dallas part is fine.

Boston fans also approved of their part, and I indeed was going by their valuation from other threads - Nesmith and #16 were most frequent and more or less the lowest I've seen them offer - some went as far as to include Smart as incentive, so I went with the more probable one. But if Mavericks were offered to chose one of R. Williams, Nesmith or #16 as incentive I think they still do the deal.

As for Clippers, it is obviously the most controversial part, but imo Kemba is still pretty good offensive player and represents a significant upgrade over any of the guards they currently have. And the amount he is due is kind of reduced given they get out of Kennard's deal.

As for Zubac, I really like him, he is truly a great guy, but imo he is more of a regular season contributor, who in PO can play more limited minutes against certain match ups, as evidenced by Dallas series, which could be replaced with MLE addition (for ex. Theis).
On the other hand I get the hesitancy, but imo if they don't win it all, Clippers could do a bigger move like this.
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by realEAST » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:19 pm

enzino wrote:i'd cut LA and do the deal between DAL and BOS:

Yeah, it is a simpler option, but one I think Dallas also does.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#13 » by sportfan6197 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:24 pm

that's a worse deal for us

dont think we need to attach both assets
sportfan6197
Senior

Post#14 » by sportfan6197 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:25 pm

Guessing Fournier is out but yeah id be happy with this if we can keep 16.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,579

Post#15 » by Swish1906 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:28 pm

Lol. Sure the Mavs would prefer to pay Kennard 40m than KP 100 over the next three years...

And Rick just proved how easy you can run Zubac off the court in the playoffs.Nesmith doesnt move the needle anyway.

Again so many terrible KP trades here. Btw i strongly believe he is opting out in 2023 to secure a new longterm contract and im sure the Mavs FO sees it the same way
sportfan6197
Senior

Post#16 » by sportfan6197 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:30 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Lol. Sure the Mavs would prefer to pay Kennard 40m than KP 100 over the next three years...

And Rick just proved how easy you can run Zubac off the court in the playoffs.Nesmith doesnt move the needle anyway.

Again so many terrible KP trades here. Btw i strongly believe he is opting out in 2023 to secure a new longterm contract and im sure the Mavs FO sees it the same way

i mean honestly, yeah they might
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Swish1906 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:30 pm

realEAST wrote:

No. Mavs ceiling with KP playing good (like last bubble) is much higher than their ceiling with Kemba
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by realEAST » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:35 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
realEAST wrote:

No. Mavs ceiling with KP playing good (like last bubble) is much higher than their ceiling with Kemba

Oh, no doubt. but question is are we ever going to see that KP again.

I mean, I'd take version from the beginning of the last season over his current self - he was great defensively, not that efficient offensively, but still stretched floor for Luka; this year his defense fell off the cliff, and even though he had fine offensive numbers, he had much bigger impact last year (speaking only of regular season) than this.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#19 » by Spin Move » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:50 pm

As a celtics fan I would not include Rwilliams in this deal, him and KP are a really good combo they each do the things the other doesn't I would value the 3 as 1 R Will, 2 Nesmith (who I think will be really good in a couple years) and #16. I would do the OP deal, I would prefer to do it without Nesmith in it.
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Swish1906 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:08 pm

realEAST wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
realEAST wrote:

Oh, no doubt. but question is are we ever going to see that KP again.

I mean, I'd take version from the beginning of the last season over his current self - he was great defensively, not that efficient offensively, but still stretched floor for Luka; this year his defense fell off the cliff, and even though he had fine offensive numbers, he had much bigger impact last year (speaking only of regular season) than this.

Thats what the Mavs athletic staff has to evaluate. If his wacky season is the result of the bubble injury or was it just because of the crazy season in general. surgery, missing first month etc.

If they dont think that the injury wrecked him longterm, then they arent move him in best case marginal deals or even clear downgrades like i saw with Markkanen or freaking Horford deals.

Then they are going to do their best to help him getting back to his bubble play

Return to Trades and Transactions