ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,654

Re: Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic. 

Post#121 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:05 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Do you really think NBA scouts get background info on guys they think have no chance of NBA players? Why would they?

Good to know the Raptors have detailed info on my upbringing just in case I one day become an nba prospect. Feels good man

Do I really think they basically go through what amounts to a job interview to players they are interested in to determine what they are like...uh yes, yes I do.

Why would you think I would think they are interested in every player every year. Whatever.

Well I’m sorry to disappoint you, but NBA scouts don’t interview every single player at a U19 world championship tournament, especially not the ones that they think look like they won’t ever be an nba prospect.

They weren’t interested in Jokic at the time of the quote. The scout pretty much said he looked bad at that stage. He said coming into he had no idea who he was. Obviously at Jokic improved he learned. Read Johnny, read.

Who ****** in your cornflakes today and why are you purposely ignoring the three underlined parts twice now and then telling me to read? Have a good one :roll:
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#122 » by raptor jesus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:07 pm

I remember watching him in the Hoop Summit and thinking 'this guy's so skilled, but won't be able to move his feet in the NBA. Could be a solid backup against certain matchups.'
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#123 » by Dalek » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:21 pm

Jokic is great, but it takes a team to really commit to that style of play for it to work. You basically don't run your offense through guards and forwards and allow your C to be the hub. Denver also started out with Nurkic and Jokic and traded Nurkic who was very effective as well. It was a real leap of faith early on. I think if Denver didn't commit, he'd probably be dominating in Europe right now.

What makes Jokic singular, is like all great players, he has a pretty unblockable shot. He doesn't leap, but at seven foot with the ball way above his head, he is about as unblockable as KD when he rises up. The fact he can pass from that shot position makes him even more dangerous as defenders have to guess what he plans to do. I don't know if there will be another player that can emulate that. He really is an incredible shooter.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#124 » by Raps1103 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:21 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
I'm pathetic because you don't like a subjective list of best GM's in the league? Bro, take a chill pill.

Portland has a top 10 guy in Lillard and one of the most talented centres in the league. The Warriors are a juggernaut and Morey has been outstanding trying to find ways to beat them despite having a cheap owner who wouldn't pay the tax.

You're too busy licking Masai's boots to actually be objective.

Hey MODS?? What does this troll have to do to get a warning or a ban? He’s the most consistent, negative troll on the board .. and he gets nothing ! Does he have dirt on all the mods? Seriously !

You do realize the original post stated they are “pathetic”, and that the post was “idiotic hypotheticals”.

If you’re going to have that view, at least keep the same energy for positive and negative posters.

Go away Skippy... I’m not wasting my time on your trolling and constant negativity either .. shoooo
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,593

Post#125 » by Ackshun » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:40 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Ackshun wrote:Kinda ridiculous to come to that conclusion. However I will say, we have been great when drafting those 3-4 year college players, typically in the latter stages of the round. We have been good, but not great when drafting higher.

It's a really small sample size anyhow.
We've only had 1 high pick in the Masai era though, 9th overall when we took Poeltl and he was a pretty good pick and he was part of the deal that landed Kawhi.

For some reason I thought Bruno was picked higher.

Anyhow, Poetl has turned into a good pick so I can't complain
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,111

Post#126 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:16 pm

Man, doesn't feel that long ago but we drafted Bruno in 2014.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,316

Post#127 » by pilkoids » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:54 pm

I'm fairly certain almost the rest of the league did as well.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,110

Post#128 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:20 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Do I really think they basically go through what amounts to a job interview to players they are interested in to determine what they are like...uh yes, yes I do.

Why would you think I would think they are interested in every player every year. Whatever.

Well I’m sorry to disappoint you, but NBA scouts don’t interview every single player at a U19 world championship tournament, especially not the ones that they think look like they won’t ever be an nba prospect.

They weren’t interested in Jokic at the time of the quote. The scout pretty much said he looked bad at that stage. He said coming into he had no idea who he was. Obviously at Jokic improved he learned. Read Johnny, read.

Who ****** in your cornflakes today and why are you purposely ignoring the three underlined parts twice now and then telling me to read? Have a good one :roll:

Sheesh what happened to you Johnny? Used to be a solid poster
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#129 » by niQ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:26 pm

Locking this. As many have already stated, every team passed on Jokic, some more than once.

Return to Toronto Raptors