Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread # 4

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,938
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

NBA Trade Thread # 4 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:19 pm

Old one can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2047575

Read on Twitter

This is a random trade machine proposal so it really isn´t anything but it will do to kick off the new thread since the old one is approaching 2,000 posts.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Re: NBA Trade Thread # 4 

Post#2 » by kodo » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:47 pm

I think Portland tries to keep that old car going for a few more miles next season, and when it collapses they then start listening to offers. I don't think it happens this summer. There's zero urgency, Lillard isn't a free agent til 2025.

But given that the "top" coaching candidates are Billups, Steve Clifford, and Mike Brown I don't see this coaching change actually elevating Portland to the next tier. Stotts like McMillan, has been an overachiever not an underachiever with the talent he had. Blazers do not have the firepower to be a top 2 / top 3 offense in this league, which is how they stayed competitive. Switching identities to a defensive team, they don't have the talent. All their talent chips / roster salary is sunk into small offensive players with no defense.

Stotts doesn't do much tactical adjustment in the playoffs (his biggest complaint) because he gives the offense such a free reign, but I don't think someone who does a better job with timeouts or coach's challenges really changes enough.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#3 » by gardenofsound » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:48 pm

Bulls-->Grizzlies: Coby White, Tomas Satoransky
Grizzlies-->Bulls: JJJ, Tyus Jones

Reason for Chicago:
Coby White is, at best, a 6th man in Chicago assuming LaVine sticks around. Meanwhile, Chicago has an opening at starting PF and can take a chance on JJJ's upside (maybe sign him to a team friendly rookie extension?). He should be a good 3/D power forward and a good fit alongside Vucevic... and the upside potential is pretty significant with him. He's about six months older than Coby White and missed most of this past season recovering from a meniscus tear.
Meanwhile Tyus Jones is a more pure PG who can play behind Micic assuming those rumors are true, and is an expiring contract so doesn't impact the 2022 FA situation.

Reason for Memphis:
Memphis already has Kyle Anderson and Brandon Clarke vying for PF minutes and Valanciunas at C. JJJ may not be a good fit for them anymore, particularly as he heads into the last year of his rookie deal.

Meanwhile Coby White can contend for the starting SG spot in Memphis and has two years left on his rookie deal.

Sato gives them another big combo guard off the bench if they choose him (preferred outcome for the Bulls).

If it's Sato that goes, then next season is...

PG Micic/Jones/Dotson
SG LaVine/Green
SF Williams/Brown
PF JJJ/Thad/Simonovic
C Vucevic/FA signing (1 year deal)
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#4 » by ChettheJet » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:37 pm

You're trading what you know in Coby White who's upside would be that he takes to running the offense and becomes the answer at the PG position . Jackson coming off injury, really after dealing with Otto Porter jr for 3 years, and his upside is maybe he comes back to be what he was projected to be. Add to that you don't list Markkanen nor what you expect to get for him in any kind of deal.

I cannot believe that people hear ONE rumor about a euro league guy who they have never seen play a single entire game and you're instantly projecting him as the starting PG. Your credibility just flushed acting like a completely gullible sap.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#5 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:39 pm

I would trade for Porzingis, but only under very specific circumstances:

AKME aren't planning to clear max cap space in 2022.
KP agrees to waive his player option for 2023-24 as part of the trade, so that he expires in July 2023 (the same time as Vuc)
KP waives his trade kicker
Dallas trades KP for Sato, Aminu, and a S&T'd Felicio to make the salaries work
Dallas adds Brunson to the deal

KP is no longer the unicorn, but he still put up 20/9 in 31 min this season. Shot 38% on 3's with 6 att/game. His 1.3 blocks would have led our team, and his 3.2 FTA/game would have been 2nd to Zach.

He was 13th in the league in BLK%, 6th in the league in TO%. 19th in DefReb%. If he would have played 6 more games, he would have been 16th in rebounds per game. He just posted career highs with a 21.3 PER, .582 TS%, 15.8 TotalReb%, 6.4 TO%, .154 WS/48 and 2.9 OBPM.

He's overpaid for the next 2 seasons, but that's irrelevant if AKME don't plan on playing the cap space game in 2022.

I don't expect anyone to agree, but I could live with this rotation for the next 2 years:

Vuc - Theis
KP - Thad
Williams - TBJ
Zach - Temple
Coby - Micic

We would also have the BAE this summer, plus the Full MLE minus whatever amount it takes to sign Micic

Plus Green, Simonovic, 2021 2nd rounder, 2022 1st rounder
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#6 » by sco » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:50 pm

gardenofsound wrote:Bulls-->Grizzlies: Coby White, Tomas Satoransky

Reason for Chicago:
Coby White is, at best, a 6th man in Chicago assuming LaVine sticks around. Meanwhile, Chicago has an opening at starting PF and can take a chance on JJJ's upside (maybe sign him to a team friendly rookie extension?). He should be a good 3/D power forward and a good fit alongside Vucevic... and the upside potential is pretty significant with him. He's only two days older than Coby White and missed most of this past season recovering from a meniscus tear.
Meanwhile Tyus Jones is a more pure PG who can play behind Micic assuming those rumors are true, and is an expiring contract so doesn't impact the 2022 FA situation.

Reason for Memphis:
Memphis already has Kyle Anderson and Brandon Clarke vying for PF minutes and Valanciunas at C. JJJ may not be a good fit for them anymore, particularly as he heads into the last year of his rookie deal.

Meanwhile Coby White can contend for the starting SG spot in Memphis and has two years left on his rookie deal.

Sato gives them another big combo guard off the bench if they choose him (preferred outcome for the Bulls).

PG Micic/Jones/Dotson
SG LaVine/Green
SF Williams/Brown
PF JJJ/Thad/Simonovic

I love the idea of JJJ, although he doesn't seem to durable. That said, if Memphis were to trade any of it's PF's, the last guy IMO would be JJJ. And while it would be great to trade our trash (ie White and Sato), who aren't NBA caliber starting talent for a great young player, it isn't at all realistic.
:clap:
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#7 » by gardenofsound » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:10 pm

ChettheJet wrote:You're trading what you know in Coby White who's upside would be that he takes to running the offense and becomes the answer at the PG position . Jackson coming off injury, really after dealing with Otto Porter jr for 3 years, and his upside is maybe he comes back to be what he was projected to be. Add to that you don't list Markkanen nor what you expect to get for him in any kind of deal.

I cannot believe that people hear ONE rumor about a euro league guy who they have never seen play a single entire game and you're instantly projecting him as the starting PG. Your credibility just flushed acting like a completely gullible sap.

This whole board is all about pipe dreams and armchair GM projections. I don't understand where this type of disrespectful comment (bolded) is coming from...

Short of getting Lonzo Ball, Kyle Lowry, or some other consensus plus option at PG, who's really coming in here to save the day? Micic seems like as reasonable/realistic an option as any. You're right, I haven't seen him play outside of highlights.

Is Coby White's upside as a PG or as a SG? Seems like the consensus through this past season is that he's more of a scorer who can facilitate in a pinch. He's also not a plus defender yet, and given his physical profile (short wingspan), it's unlikely that he will be.

As for the OPJ comparison, I don't see it. Otto Porter was already on his long term lucrative deal... JJJ gives the opportunity to see him for a year on his rookie deal before committing unless they want to gamble on a long term, potential team friendly deal. A meniscus injury is not a chronic hip issue... if Dwyane Wade could play an entire career post-meniscus tear, then I think a big can handle it also. Jaren Jackson Jr. was projected to be a damned good player, and his 2019-2020 stats were pretty strong for a second year big in his age 20 season.

JJJ also addresses interior defense a bit, with Vucevic being a known liability on that end.

I see more in parallel between JJJ and Zach LaVine as far as their upcoming situation. The Bulls traded for LaVine while he was rehabbing an ACL (and with all of the Derrick Rose drama still relatively fresh). A meniscus is even less worrisome than an ACL, and again, this is a big, not a guard/wing that we're talking about.

My assumption at this point is that Lauri Markkanen is not going to net the Bulls anything of real value next season. If he brings something in a S&T, then that's great. But I am not going to bank on that.

sco wrote:

Reason for Chicago:
Coby White is, at best, a 6th man in Chicago assuming LaVine sticks around. Meanwhile, Chicago has an opening at starting PF and can take a chance on JJJ's upside (maybe sign him to a team friendly rookie extension?). He should be a good 3/D power forward and a good fit alongside Vucevic... and the upside potential is pretty significant with him. He's only two days older than Coby White and missed most of this past season recovering from a meniscus tear.

Reason for Memphis:

PG Micic/Jones/Dotson
SG LaVine/Green
SF Williams/Brown
PF JJJ/Thad/Simonovic

I love the idea of JJJ, although he doesn't seem to durable. That said, if Memphis were to trade any of it's PF's, the last guy IMO would be JJJ. And while it would be great to trade our trash (ie White and Sato), who aren't NBA caliber starting talent for a great young player, it isn't at all realistic.

If they wanted to send Brandon Clarke instead, I think I'd be on board...

Also, I'm gonna edit my initial post because JJJ is actually about 6 months older than Coby. HoopsHype had their ages as being two days apart, but clearly it's wrong.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#8 » by sco » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:29 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:You're trading what you know in Coby White who's upside would be that he takes to running the offense and becomes the answer at the PG position . Jackson coming off injury, really after dealing with Otto Porter jr for 3 years, and his upside is maybe he comes back to be what he was projected to be. Add to that you don't list Markkanen nor what you expect to get for him in any kind of deal.

This whole board is all about pipe dreams and armchair GM projections. I don't understand where this type of disrespectful comment (bolded) is coming from...

Short of getting Lonzo Ball, Kyle Lowry, or some other consensus plus option at PG, who's really coming in here to save the day? Micic seems like as reasonable/realistic an option as any. You're right, I haven't seen him play outside of highlights.

Is Coby White's upside as a PG or as a SG? Seems like the consensus through this past season is that he's more of a scorer who can facilitate in a pinch. He's also not a plus defender yet, and given his physical profile (short wingspan), it's unlikely that he will be.

As for the OPJ comparison, I don't see it. Otto Porter was already on his long term lucrative deal... JJJ gives the opportunity to see him for a year on his rookie deal before committing unless they want to gamble on a long term, potential team friendly deal. A meniscus injury is not a chronic hip issue... if Dwyane Wade could play an entire career post-meniscus tear, then I think a big can handle it also. Jaren Jackson Jr. was projected to be a damned good player, and his 2019-2020 stats were pretty strong for a second year big in his age 20 season.

JJJ also addresses interior defense a bit, with Vucevic being a known liability on that end.

I see more in parallel between JJJ and Zach LaVine as far as their upcoming situation. The Bulls traded for LaVine while he was rehabbing an ACL (and with all of the Derrick Rose drama still relatively fresh). A meniscus is even less worrisome than an ACL, and again, this is a big, not a guard/wing that we're talking about.

My assumption at this point is that Lauri Markkanen is not going to net the Bulls anything of real value next season. If he brings something in a S&T, then that's great. But I am not going to bank on that.

sco wrote:

Reason for Chicago:

Reason for Memphis:

PG Micic/Jones/Dotson
SG LaVine/Green
SF Williams/Brown
PF JJJ/Thad/Simonovic

If they wanted to send Brandon Clarke instead, I think I'd be on board...

Also, I'm gonna edit my initial post because JJJ is actually about 6 months older than Coby. HoopsHype had their ages as being two days apart, but clearly it's wrong.

Sign me up for trading Coby for any 1st round pick or young player with potential.

Seriously, name me a team who would legitimately trade for Coby with the intent to start him at either guard spot.
:clap:
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#9 » by d boy gentleman » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:52 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:I would trade for Porzingis, but only under very specific circumstances:

KP agrees to waive his player option for 2023-24 as part of the trade, so that he expires in July 2023 (the same time as Vuc)

KP is no longer the unicorn, but he still put up 20/9 in 31 min this season. Shot 38% on 3's with 6 att/game. His 1.3 blocks would have led our team, and his 3.2 FTA/game would have been 2nd to Zach.

He was 13th in the league in BLK%, 6th in the league in TO%. 19th in DefReb%. If he would have played 6 more games, he would have been 16th in rebounds per game. He just posted career highs with a 21.3 PER, .582 TS%, 15.8 TotalReb%, 6.4 TO%, .154 WS/48 and 2.9 OBPM.

He's overpaid for the next 2 seasons, but that's irrelevant if AKME don't plan on playing the cap space game in 2022.

I don't expect anyone to agree, but I could live with this rotation for the next 2 years:

Vuc - Theis
KP - Thad
Williams - TBJ
Zach - Temple
Coby - Micic

We would also have the BAE this summer, plus the Full MLE minus whatever amount it takes to sign Micic

So, you're advocating a Lauri sign and trade for KP?
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#10 » by gobullschi » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:30 pm

gobullschi
Little Nathan wrote:I would trade for Porzingis, but only under very specific circumstances:

Vuc - Theis
KP - Thad
Williams - TBJ
Zach - Temple
Coby - Micic

CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#11 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:30 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:I would trade for Porzingis, but only under very specific circumstances:

Vuc - Theis
KP - Thad
Williams - TBJ
Zach - Temple
Coby - Micic

"Advocating" might be a bit of an overstatement, but I would almost certainly do Lauri - Sato - Aminu for KP and Brunson. Just substitute Lauri for Felicio and I don't think it change us one bit, since I don't believe that AK plans to bring Lauri back anyway.

Assuming the other conditions I mentioned above were all met, I think it's a gamble worth taking.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#12 » by gobullschi » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:38 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
gobullschi wrote: Just throwing out an unconventional trade proposal based on the idea of keeping Markkanen on the Bulls long-term. What if the Bulls moved Vucevic & Sato for Porzingis, Brunson, & Green?

Brunson is a Chicago guy who could run point guard, Green gives the Bulls some needed depth at wing, & Porzingis brings some more rim protection and matches up with the Bull’s timeline (age) better than Vucevic (31).

Going the younger route lines up better with guys like LeBron, Durant, Harden, & Curry getting older.

Jalen Brunson / Coby White
Zach LaVine / Troy Brown Jr.
Patrick Williams / Josh Green / Al-Farouq Aminu
Lauri Markkanen / Thaddeus Young
Kristaps Porzingis / Daniel Theis

So we’re essentially turning 2 lightly protected first rounders, WCJ and Sato into a huge negative asset, a backup point guard (who needs an extension btw) and a nobody while also taking on Aminu‘s salary in the process?

…cool cool cool…

Cmon man. If you’re going to criticize the trade, take your overt bias out of the discussion and take a second to comprehend the reasoning that was laid out behind the hypothetical trade. You completely ignored the Bulls contention window (his age) and his fit next to Markkanen (who could walk away for nothing).

If Porzingis was a free agent this offseason, he would still get a similar contract that he previously signed. He isn’t a negative asset. He nearly averaged 20 & 10 at 25 years old.

If you’re gonna dismiss it, at least give some legitimate reasons or a statistical analysis backing your claim that he’s a negative asset. I’m not seeing it.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#13 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:01 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
gobullschi wrote: Just throwing out an unconventional trade proposal based on the idea of keeping Markkanen on the Bulls long-term. What if the Bulls moved Vucevic & Sato for Porzingis, Brunson, & Green?

Brunson is a Chicago guy who could run point guard, Green gives the Bulls some needed depth at wing, & Porzingis brings some more rim protection and matches up with the Bull’s timeline (age) better than Vucevic (31).

Going the younger route lines up better with guys like LeBron, Durant, Harden, & Curry getting older.

So we’re essentially turning 2 lightly protected first rounders, WCJ and Sato into a huge negative asset, a backup point guard (who needs an extension btw) and a nobody while also taking on Aminu‘s salary in the process?

…cool cool cool…

What did you expect? Any trade proposal which is "based on the idea of keeping Markkanen on the Bulls long-term" is probably going to be a bad idea.

There is also literally no way in hell that AKME trades Vuc for KP. If he wanted to do that, he could have just cut out the middle man -because I have no doubt that Cuban would have jumped all over a "KP for exactly what we gave the Magic" deal.

I would have no problem with a Lauri - Sato - Aminu for KP and Brunson deal. Brunson makes the minimum next season, at the very least we'd get a year to decide if he's someone we would want to keep long-term.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#14 » by gobullschi » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:12 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:00
Little Nathan wrote:

…cool cool cool…

What did you expect? Any trade proposal which is "based on the idea of keeping Markkanen on the Bulls long-term" is probably going to be a bad idea.

There is also literally no way in hell that AKME trades Vuc for KP. If he wanted to do that, he could have just cut out the middle man -because I have no doubt that Cuban would have jumped all over a "KP for exactly what we gave the Magic" deal.

I would have no problem with a Lauri - Sato - Aminu for KP and Brunson deal. Brunson makes the minimum next season, at the very least we'd get a year to decide if he's someone we would want to keep long-term.

What do I expect? I expect the Bulls to not lose Markkanen for nothing. There are situations where I could see Markkanen returning to Chicago. This was year 1 under Billy Donovan and they couldn’t practice.

I have a lot of doubt that Cuban would have accepted that trade proposal. I doubt Cuban even wants him moved and I only see it happening if KP requests a trade.

You might not have a problem with your proposal, but I guarantee Dallas does.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#15 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:27 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

…cool cool cool…

What do I expect? I expect the Bulls to not lose Markkanen for nothing. There are situations where I could see Markkanen returning to Chicago. This was year 1 under Billy Donovan and they couldn’t practice.

The "losing Lauri for nothing" ship has pretty much sailed. AK tried to trade him at the deadline, but no other teams were interested in giving up a 1st for him. Which isn't surprising, except to the Lauri stans on this board (and other Bulls boards, I'm assuming).

I have a lot of doubt that Cuban would have accepted that trade proposal. I doubt Cuban even wants him moved and I only see it happening if KP requests a trade.

There were all kinds of reports out there that KP was already on the trade block this past season. Doubting that Cuban wants him moved is just a complete guess on your part, and if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on KP not being a Maverick next season.

If Lauri is anywhere near as good as his stans claim, why wouldn't Dallas want him?
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#16 » by d boy gentleman » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:35 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:

Vuc - Theis
KP - Thad
Williams - TBJ
Zach - Temple
Coby - Micic

"Advocating" might be a bit of an overstatement, but I would almost certainly do Lauri - Sato - Aminu for KP and Brunson. Just substitute Lauri for Felicio and I don't think it change us one bit, since I don't believe that AK plans to bring Lauri back anyway.

Assuming the other conditions I mentioned above were all met, I think it's a gamble worth taking.

Ok, "advocating"" is too strong of a word but if that's the trade, I'd carry all 3 to O'Haire (cause Midway is too far).
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
erasmusmrr
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#17 » by erasmusmrr » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:46 pm

KP has 3/100 left, but does have an opt out after 2nd year. If not him, who? After Zach gets 5/190? Who else is signing here?
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#18 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:53 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:

Ok, "advocating"" is too strong of a word but if that's the trade, I'd carry all 3 to O'Haire (cause Midway is too far).

You do that, and I'll pay for their plane tickets to Dallas. I'd probably even fly them first class.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#19 » by gobullschi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:12 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

The "losing Lauri for nothing" ship has pretty much sailed. AK tried to trade him at the deadline, but no other teams were interested in giving up a 1st for him. Which isn't surprising, except to the Lauri stans on this board (and other Bulls boards, I'm assuming).

There were all kinds of reports out there that KP was already on the trade block this past season. Doubting that Cuban wants him moved is just a complete guess on your part, and if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on KP not being a Maverick next season.

If Lauri is anywhere near as good as his stans claim, why wouldn't Dallas want him?

1. The Lauri ship has not sailed at all. We have no idea what teams were offering for him. Teams learn a lot in the playoffs, strike out in free agency, & the lottery can all have an impact that could change things.

2. "We're not trading KP," Cuban said ... "KP's a star."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2021/03/16/mark-cuban-kristaps-porzingis-trade-rumors-dallas-mavericks-nba/

That was in March - which would back the side that they wouldn’t have accepted the deal. Things might be different now that KP isn’t happy.

3. For the record I’m not a Lauri stan. I’m just not comfortable letting him walk if there isn’t anything better - fit be d*mn.

Cuban isn’t going to move a guy he classifies as a ‘star’ for anything less than another ‘star’. Vucevic has more value than KP, but not sure Brunson and Green close the gap. A combination of one of those and a 2025 1st might.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#20 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:52 am

Vuc - Theis
KP - Thad
Williams - TBJ
Zach - Temple
Coby - Micic

Porzingis/Vuc would definitely be the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA. Watching Porzingis try to guard modern PFs would be a **** show. He rarely leaves the paint on defense. Vuc might be more mobile at this point.

Return to Chicago Bulls