ImageImageImage

Playoffs: Second Round Game 2 : (5) Atlanta Hawks @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Tuesday 6/8 l 7:30pm l TNT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Re: Playoffs: Second Round Game 2 : (5) Atlanta Hawks @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Tuesday 6/8 l 7:30pm l TNT 

Post#561 » by kuclas » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:41 pm

Embiid was completely gassed end of the third quarter. Didn’t anyone notice. We got lucky in that he was gifted 4 free throws on dumb fouls by the hawks end of the quarter.

If shake hasn’t saved the day and we had to bring back Embiid with 10 min left in the fourth quarter. It would have been a rough ending.

Thank god that didn’t happen. Embiid got to fully rest and came back in with 6 and 1/2 min left and looked good again.

Embiid was sensational for most of the game. He has to do it every game for us to have a chance. Curry and Harris have been excellent for us the first two games as well.

Danny Green is MIA just like he’s been the last two playoffs. Hope he breaks out of his slump.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Re: Playoffs: Second Round Game 2 : (5) Atlanta Hawks @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Tuesday 6/8 l 7:30pm l TNT 

Post#562 » by blargh » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:58 pm

kuclas wrote:Danny Green is MIA just like he’s been the last two playoffs. Hope he breaks out of his slump.

Danny Green was good-to-great for the first four games of the playoffs. He’s struggled the last three, but that’s the Danny Green Experience.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#563 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:13 pm

Do you guys ever stop to think that the only reason Ben can play top level perimeter defense for damn near 40 minutes is because he doesn't have to do much on offense? If Ben was banging in the paint trying to post up or breaking his man down on the perimeter he would be too tired to chase Trae around all night.

I would much rather Ben go 2/3 on offense and play elite lockdown D then him go 4/12 and suffer on the defensive end.

Our offense was good, it's not like we are hurting for points.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#564 » by kuclas » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:18 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:Do you guys ever stop to think that the only reason Ben can play top level perimeter defense for damn near 40 minutes is because he doesn't have to do much on offense? If Ben was banging in the paint trying to post up or breaking his man down on the perimeter he would be too tired to chase Trae around all night.

I would much rather Ben go 2/3 on offense and play elite lockdown D then him go 4/12 and suffer on the defensive end.

Our offense was good, it's not like we are hurting for points.

Well. Good excuses for Ben. But still doesn’t explain why he can’t shoot free throws. Takes no energy to shoot free throws.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,369

Post#565 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:23 pm

The best thing about last night is that Charles Barkley predicted Atlanta will win the series.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#566 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:53 pm

I just think Ben needs to attack more than he does. That is all. I think the other stuff (like an open three) will eventually come for him. It's frustrating for sure. A guy like him should be able to score 20 ppg no problem. I'm of the crowd that if POINTS aren't a problem for us, then it's fine having him distribute, run the offense, get guys good looks, and play stellar defense. People say he's a taller MCW which to me is just an idiotic, moronic take. Jason Kidd never scored an insane amount of points and he was the no.2 overall pick in the draft. It also took Jason Kidd quite a few years before he was comfortable shooting a three point shot. Their games are similar in my opinion. Ben is just taller and more athletic. But look at Kidds stats. He was never a bona fide go to option as a scorer, but the guy led the Nets to two Finals appearances at the peak of his career. He made the playoffs with every team he played on. Dallas sold too quickly on him back in day. Kidd ended up being one of the best point guards from that era. I can remember many games where he failed to score more than 6 points, but still had a major impact on the game. The hate for Ben is a little overboard in my opinion.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Post#567 » by the_process » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:46 pm

Hawks are not getting DeAndre Hunter back for this series.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#568 » by cool93 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:02 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I just think Ben needs to attack more than he does. That is all. I think the other stuff (like an open three) will eventually come for him. It's frustrating for sure. A guy like him should be able to score 20 ppg no problem. I'm of the crowd that if POINTS aren't a problem for us, then it's fine having him distribute, run the offense, get guys good looks, and play stellar defense. People say he's a taller MCW which to me is just an idiotic, moronic take. Jason Kidd never scored an insane amount of points and he was the no.2 overall pick in the draft. It also took Jason Kidd quite a few years before he was comfortable shooting a three point shot. Their games are similar in my opinion. Ben is just taller and more athletic. But look at Kidds stats. He was never a bona fide go to option as a scorer, but the guy led the Nets to two Finals appearances at the peak of his career. He made the playoffs with every team he played on. Dallas sold too quickly on him back in day. Kidd ended up being one of the best point guards from that era. I can remember many games where he failed to score more than 6 points, but still had a major impact on the game. The hate for Ben is a little overboard in my opinion.

It's been 4 years. It's not happening. Ever.

And Kidd was FAR better playmaker.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#569 » by kuclas » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:19 pm

the_process wrote:Hawks are not getting DeAndre Hunter back for this series.

And we are struggling with the hawks. Just imagine if they had hunter to help double Embiid with his length.

Hawks are just a well rounded team with tons of shooter where no lead is safe.

It’s gonna to be tough in Atlanta. Their 3 point shooting regressed back to the norm (36-37%)

Game 1 (besides the final 4 min come and) hawks am the game because they made 20 (3 point shots) on over 40% and Sixers turnovers.

So a combination of better defense and limiting turnovers. Sixers only had 7 compared to 19 in game 1.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#570 » by blargh » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:31 pm

I will admit, I didn’t realize how deep and well rounded the Hawks are as a team. I think they’ve got a nice future (assuming Hunter is okay) with a ton of switchable 2-way young wings, and a top tier scorer. I think as early as next season, the East will be a four-team conference.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#571 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:35 pm

blargh wrote:I will admit, I didn’t realize how deep and well rounded the Hawks are as a team. I think they’ve got a nice future (assuming Hunter is okay) with a ton of switchable 2-way young wings, and a top tier scorer. I think as early as next season, the East will be a four-team conference.
I anticipate the Celtics coming back strong. East will be tough.

10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#572 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:38 pm

Hawks have a create & D player in Skylar Mays literally waiting in the mix. He's going to be a two-way stud for them.

Onyeka Okongwu is going to be one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA.

Cam Reddish is a fantastic defender with size. Just waiting on him to mature and learn how to shoot.

Bright future, for sure.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#573 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:41 pm

kuclas wrote:
the_process wrote:Hawks are not getting DeAndre Hunter back for this series.

And we are struggling with the hawks. Just imagine if they had hunter to help double Embiid with his length.
Hawks are just a well rounded team with tons of shooter where no lead is safe.
It’s gonna to be tough in Atlanta. Their 3 point shooting regressed back to the norm (36-37%)

That’s all true but the Hawks have also been playing well and just hitting a lot of tough shots. Our defense stopped giving up easy open 3s in game 2 and they still shot above league average from deep. Last game Huerter shot absurdly well, Gallo had a great game, and Bogdanovic also hit some tough heat check shots to keep them in the game. They were challenging us mostly because of that, and I don’t think we should expect those guys are always going to do that.

Not saying I expect us to have an easy series, just that we should acknowledge that last game was close because of stuff that won’t necessarily keep happening. If we play reasonably well we should have the upper hand here, and if we play terribly (or they play amazingly well) then yeah we could lose.
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#574 » by DaBolden76 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:01 am

Simmons passive mindset was probably about collecting fouls. He probably afraid to attack the rim and collect a charge foul given Trae is so good at attracting contact and getting fouled.

I’m expecting him to be aggressive in game 3 along with the other starters to get their advantage back. I still see Sixers winning in 6.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#575 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:03 am

cool93 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I just think Ben needs to attack more than he does. That is all. I think the other stuff (like an open three) will eventually come for him. It's frustrating for sure. A guy like him should be able to score 20 ppg no problem. I'm of the crowd that if POINTS aren't a problem for us, then it's fine having him distribute, run the offense, get guys good looks, and play stellar defense. People say he's a taller MCW which to me is just an idiotic, moronic take. Jason Kidd never scored an insane amount of points and he was the no.2 overall pick in the draft. It also took Jason Kidd quite a few years before he was comfortable shooting a three point shot. Their games are similar in my opinion. Ben is just taller and more athletic. But look at Kidds stats. He was never a bona fide go to option as a scorer, but the guy led the Nets to two Finals appearances at the peak of his career. He made the playoffs with every team he played on. Dallas sold too quickly on him back in day. Kidd ended up being one of the best point guards from that era. I can remember many games where he failed to score more than 6 points, but still had a major impact on the game. The hate for Ben is a little overboard in my opinion.

It's been 4 years. It's not happening. Ever.

And Kidd was FAR better playmaker.

Cool bro. But I disagree that Ben can't continue to improve his game. Besides, I wasn't necessarily comparing the two. I was pointing out how Kidd didn't need to score a ton to be as good as he was. Same can be said about Rondo. I put Simmons in that class. Should he look to be more of a scorer? Absolutely! He's just not as worthless as you and a few others, along with a few of their burner accounts are making him out to be.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#576 » by youngcrev » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:40 am

DaBolden76 wrote:Simmons passive mindset was probably about collecting fouls. He probably afraid to attack the rim and collect a charge foul given Trae is so good at attracting contact and getting fouled.

I’m expecting him to be aggressive in game 3 along with the other starters to get their advantage back. I still see Sixers winning in 6.

I think it's that we have colossal mismatches that we are exploiting with Embiid and Harris, and they should continue to exploit those mismatches until the Hawks show some ability to stop them.

The starting lineup is a +31 in 46 minutes so far with a 139.4 ORTG.

Offense hasn't been an issue.

If Simmons and Thybulle can continue to give Trae issues and Embiid doesn't have any set backs, this shouldn't be too tough. Doc basically gave away game 1 with the Green and Trae matchup.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#577 » by cool93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:39 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Cool bro. But I disagree that Ben can't continue to improve his game. Besides, I wasn't necessarily comparing the two. I was pointing out how Kidd didn't need to score a ton to be as good as he was. Same can be said about Rondo. I put Simmons in that class. Should he look to be more of a scorer? Absolutely! He's just not as worthless as you and a few others, along with a few of their burner accounts are making him out to be.

He is not worthless at all. He is a very good player(could have been great if he learned how too shoot damn free throws, but thats another story), but he needs very specific roster construction to thrive. At the very least he needs to have elite half court ball handler, who can break down defence. We **** up all our assets and never got one.
We'll never win anything meaningfull with Ben as our best playmaker considering just how bad he is as half court playmaker. You can't compare him to Kidd in that department. And by the way Kidd was shooting around 3 threes a game from his rookie season, and thats in the 90s.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#578 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:57 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:I anticipate the Celtics coming back strong. East will be tough.

I think they're screwed....

They don't have a creator or a big guy, timelord (who they also need to extend for 21-22) can be their rim protector but he's too short to bang with the Embiids, Giannis or even the Bam's of the world.

The Kemba contract handicap them hard to adress those issues and the Tatum extension begin the next season, they cannot retain Fournier too. They only can make a move trading Smart and Thompson. The rest of their rooster is basically bad picks, people who never developed and the corpse of Jabari Parker

All of this has to be adressed by a rookie manager.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#579 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:19 am

I was calling for George Hill or Maxsey to start in game 2 instead of Green...calling for Shake in game 3
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#580 » by LloydFree » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:26 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:I anticipate the Celtics coming back strong. East will be tough.

I think they're screwed....

They don't have a creator or a big guy, timelord (who they also need to extend for 21-22) can be their rim protector but he's too short to bang with the Embiids, Giannis or even the Bam's of the world.

The Kemba contract handicap them hard to adress those issues and the Tatum extension begin the next season, they cannot retain Fournier too. They only can make a move trading Smart and Thompson. The rest of their rooster is basically bad picks, people who never developed and the corpse of Jabari Parker

All of this has to be adressed by a rookie manager.

I think they're screwed too. The ridiculous Kemba Walker signing (as many here wanted for the 76ers) screwed them. Combine that with a cheap ownership group that would cut off a limb before paying the luxury tax, and you have a team that will either have to rebuild or just languish for the next two years.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers