ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#121 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:19 pm

Kemba and a pick for Powell, WCS, Burke, and Josh Richardson. Let’s make it happen. Lol
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,037

Post#122 » by Dirk » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:22 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Kemba and a pick for Powell, WCS, Burke, and Josh Richardson. Let’s make it happen. Lol

Is the guy that broken?
60/21/10
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#123 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Dirk wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Kemba and a pick for Powell, WCS, Burke, and Josh Richardson. Let’s make it happen. Lol

Is the guy that broken?

Possibly, yes. But this season was particularly rough on him because of the short off season. When you factor in that he played for Team USA the previous summer, he just hasn’t had much rest over the past 2 years.

With that being said, he did get stronger as the season progressed. Always a great guy in the locker room too. Celtics really need to trade him in order to keep Fournier and re-sign Smart next summer.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#124 » by ejs78 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:48 pm

I would pass on Kemba deal. Its just trading a younger headache for an older one. Yes I would love to have Smart but not that bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,818

Post#125 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:00 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:For take Kemba(+Smart and a 1round pick) i would like dump Kleber and Powell (maybe to a third team) otherwise thanks Celtics but no way.
Then we should have more space.

I forget KP obviusly :lol:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#126 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the off season went like this what would you think?

KP trade to Boston for Kemba

Sign Rashaun Holmes as FA

Sign Markanen to MLE (unless JRich opts out then just sign him outright).

Resign THJ

Supermax Luka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want touch Kemba for any reasons...

Mavs went hard after him before he signed that deal with Boston. They obviously have an interest. Personally I still would prefer to see if Indiana would be interested in trading KP for a Myles Turner but I do think the Mavs still have an interest in Kemba.

That was before it was known that he has deteriorating knees. He had to go overseas to have stem cells injections.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#127 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm

I don't see any reason to pursue Kemba Walker unless you want to handicap us more than we already are.

2021-22: $36,016,200
2022-23: $37,653,300 {Player Option}

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#128 » by JD45 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:00 pm

HMFFL wrote:/quote]That was before it was known that he has deteriorating knees. He had to go overseas to have stem cells injections.

Also called a "placebo" treatment.

Bottom of the roster, overpaid junk might be ok for Walker. He could be a useful 6th man and then an enormous expiring contract when the Mavs would once again have draft picks to trade.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#129 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Am I the only one who's just now learning Haralabos Voulgaris works in our front office?

Just heard that on The Ticket today. That's crazy! I actually feel better about things now; only the way I heard about it was Haralabos, Donnie & Rick all seem to have equal parts of Mark's ear, and they don't seem to agree on what to do.

Haralabos is very smart. I hope they consider whatever suggestions he makes.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:41 pm

HMFFL wrote:I don't see any reason to pursue Kemba Walker unless you want to handicap us more than we already are.

Kemba comes with a lot of question marks. Health? Fit? Diminishing Skills? etc. etc.

However, if Kemba comes to Dallas for KP, then you're just swapping one guy who can't stay healthy for another. At least Kemba would come here with the competitive fire to step onto the court & do something. KP gave a half-hearted effort in the playoffs. I don't really want to see him back here if he's going to quit on the team like that.

The biggest reason to add Kemba (or someone like him) is Luka can't play all 48. The Mavs were ahead in the series (until game 7 I think), when Luka was on the floor. But, then gave it all back & then some the few minutes he was off the floor. At least with Kemba on the team (if he were healthy for next year's playoffs), the Mavs would have someone to turn to who could get a bucket when Luka needed rest. That's a big deal.

Edit: also what if it's KP for Kemba + ??? Like what if BOS is throwing something in with Kemba. Marcus Smart? Sign me up! A future 1st round pick? Yes please! Or maybe they give us Tacko Fall, so Rick can pair Boban & Tacko together next year in the playoffs :lol:
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,821

Post#131 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:45 pm

HMFFL wrote:I don't see any reason to pursue Kemba Walker unless you want to handicap us more than we already are.

He should be fired anyway, but if Donnie Nelson had Kemba and KP on the same payroll, he should be blacklisted even more than Sam Hinkie
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#132 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:52 am

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#133 » by JJP » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 am

Cuban said recently in an interview today that they desperately need a secondary ball-handler with some size. I should repeat the "with some size" part.

The thing about Kemba is that the press (and almost everyone really including me) mentions this trade possibility because it can be done.... not because anyone really wants it done. We have no idea of Boston's intention - especially with a new GM. So there's really no evidence of interest other than the Mavs liked Kemba two years ago. We talk about the trade because it's big and because we can imagine it.

But I also think it's a pipe dream. My guess is that there is another ball-handler out there. If THJ doesn't sign, other players come forward. Conley, Lowry, Ball and others are still possibilities. The article also mentions good ball-handling wings like DeRozan - again that would require a shake-up of known players on our roster. Not a bad thing in my mind.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#134 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:14 am

JJP wrote:Cuban said recently in an interview today that they desperately need a secondary ball-handler with some size. I should repeat the "with some size" part.

The thing about Kemba is that the press (and almost everyone really including me) mentions this trade possibility because it can be done.... not because anyone really wants it done. We have no idea of Boston's intention - especially with a new GM. So there's really no evidence of interest other than the Mavs liked Kemba two years ago. We talk about the trade because it's big and because we can imagine it.

But I also think it's a pipe dream. My guess is that there is another ball-handler out there. If THJ doesn't sign, other players come forward. Conley, Lowry, Ball and others are still possibilities. The article also mentions good ball-handling wings like DeRozan - again that would require a shake-up of known players on our roster. Not a bad thing in my mind.

I heard someone talking about DeRozen too. The only thing that makes me think no is because of his 3pt%. Other than that he fits what Cuban has said they’re looking for. DeRozen averaged 21/7/4. If they also resign THJ then DeRozen is basically replacing JRich which I’m perfectly ok with.

My question is, is there a way to sign both DeRozen and Richaun Holmes?

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#135 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:03 am

Mr B wrote:
JJP wrote:Cuban said recently in an interview today that they desperately need a secondary ball-handler with some size. I should repeat the "with some size" part.

I heard someone talking about DeRozen too. The only thing that makes me think no is because of his 3pt%. Other than that he fits what Cuban has said they’re looking for. DeRozen averaged 21/7/4. If they also resign THJ then DeRozen is basically replacing JRich which I’m perfectly ok with.

If the Mavs sign THJ, they wont have any cap room with JRich and WCS on the roster. If THJ signs at a discount, JRich opts out and they dump WCS, they would have around $20 mil. Maybe could free up $7 mil more if they stretch Powell. So $27 mil. Thats plenty for Holmes. Maybe DeRozen, but certainly not both.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Mr B
RealGM

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#136 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 am

JD45 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

If the Mavs sign THJ, they wont have any cap room with JRich and WCS on the roster. If THJ signs at a discount, JRich opts out and they dump WCS, they would have around $20 mil. Maybe could free up $7 mil more if they stretch Powell. So $27 mil. Thats plenty for Holmes. Maybe DeRozen, but certainly not both.

So with Reddick out, JRich out (opts out), and WCS and Melli released there wouldn’t be enough?

What is the cap hold on THJ? Since they have his Bird Rights couldn’t they wait until after DeRozen and Holmes were signed to resign THJ as long as they don’t release his rights?

The Mavs should then still have the MLE and the small exception to add 2 more players (Markanen, and Danny Green?).

Holmes
KP
DeRozen
THJ
Luka

Bench: Markanen, Maxi, Brunson, DFS, Powell, Josh Green, Danny Green, Bey, Hinton

Edit: Burke and Boban would be gone too.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#137 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 am

Serious question: There's a lot of "... Mavs resign THJ..." comments as if it's a forgone conclusion and everyone is just okay with it.

Why would you watch the LAC series and be okay with bringing THJ back? The man was 1 for 11 3PM in game 7, but not only that he shot 0 for 4 3PM in game 4, 3 for 10 3PM in game 5, and 4 for 11 3PM in game 6. That means for the last 4 games of the series THJ was 8 for 34 3PM for 23.5 3pt%

THJ isn't going to resign for pocket change. This man is going to command $18 mil or more a season. In his mind, he's done something. He's proven himself. He's not going to accept less. He's going to want more.

Why would we want to pay him more for basically disappearing for 4 games in the 1st round???
Mr B
RealGM

Post#138 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:34 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Serious question: There's a lot of "... Mavs resign THJ..." comments as if it's a forgone conclusion and everyone is just okay with it.

Why would you watch the LAC series and be okay with bringing THJ back? The man was 1 for 11 3PM in game 7, but not only that he shot 0 for 4 3PM in game 4, 3 for 10 3PM in game 5, and 4 for 11 3PM in game 6. That means for the last 4 games of the series THJ was 8 for 34 3PM for 23.5 3pt%

THJ isn't going to resign for pocket change. This man is going to command $18 mil or more a season. In his mind, he's done something. He's proven himself. He's not going to accept less. He's going to want more.

Why would we want to pay him more for basically disappearing for 4 games in the 1st round???

Why did you only point out the bad. He shot extremely well in half the games in the playoffs and had a great year by his standards. He seems to have matured into a really good player and found a home in Dallas where he enjoys playing and has a defined role. If JRich was half the player he was expected to be THJ’s off nights wouldn’t seem so glaring. A player like DeRozen would fill in those gaps when THJ has an off night. Similar (but different) to the way it was when we had Curry.

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,818

Post#139 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:49 am

We need find a way to sign both Holmes and DeRozan, we have to dump Powell, Kleber and Richardson...

I like THJ efford in this 2 years but he is no where near 18M player, he could be a good 6man like Clarkson (11M per year).

Overpaid role players is the fast way to became the new Cleveland Cavaliers in first stint of LeBron.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#140 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:56 am

41Dirk41 wrote:We need find a way to sign both Holmes and DeRozan, we have to dump Powell, Kleber and Richardson...

I like THJ efford in this 2 years but he is no where near 18M player, he could be a good 6man like Clarkson (11M per year).

Overpaid role players is the fast way to became the new Cleveland Cavaliers in first stint of LeBron.

Amen. THJ is not a starter in this league. He should not be paid starter money.

I'd like to hold onto Kleber tho. I feel like his struggles had a lot to do with his injured Achilles. Maybe that's a reason to move on from Maxi, but if he gets right, he's a valuable player on his contract.

Return to Dallas Mavericks