ImageImageImageImageImage

The Return of Mitchell Robinson

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Re: The Return of Mitchell Robinson 

Post#121 » by rammagen » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:22 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
TKKnicks1 wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Look like Mitch back in the gym making his return. He cmn for that crown.

He needs to come back with a J.

I'm sure he'll showcase some form of a mid range/3pt in at leastlimited capacity now that he'll have an entire off season with this coaching staff.

I'll keep it a buck tho, I'm more excited about him claiming the DPOY from Gobert. Can't wait to play the hawks so Mitch can punk that clown capela. Thinking he sweet like Noel.... Having no answer for him was even more frustrating than having no answer for trae

If we keep Mitch we need to save space so I see a combination of a pg and wing being signed as a free agent
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#122 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:17 pm

1999 wrote:I remember another Knicks big man being injured early on in his career. Marcus Camby. It would be a mistake to trade Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I agree in the sense that you have to trade him based on anything we've recently seen. Alot of fans react to things and want to trade a player the moment they don't like something they say or based on an injury or belief that they'll want more money. In that regard I don't want to trade Mitch. However he's not untouchable to me if you truly are getting an upgrade. I don't think we really have a player like that on the roster so I'll always listen but again......he's not on the trade block as if I'm advertising that I need to get this guy out of here.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,145

Post#123 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:31 pm

If Mitch isn't showing a semblance of post moves or a jumper then this is on Mitch.

Since Kenny Payne has this strong reputation as a big man whisperer.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#124 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm

TKKnicks1 wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Look like Mitch back in the gym making his return. He cmn for that crown.

Meh. I'd rather see him get to Dwight-caliber as a FT-shooter first.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#125 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:If Mitch isn't showing a semblance of post moves or a jumper then this is on Mitch.

How would we know if he has any post moves? We only give him the ball when it's time for him to dunk.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#126 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
1999 wrote:I remember another Knicks big man being injured early on in his career. Marcus Camby. It would be a mistake to trade Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I agree in the sense that you have to trade him based on anything we've recently seen. Alot of fans react to things and want to trade a player the moment they don't like something they say or based on an injury or belief that they'll want more money. In that regard I don't want to trade Mitch. However he's not untouchable to me if you truly are getting an upgrade. I don't think we really have a player like that on the roster so I'll always listen but again......he's not on the trade block as if I'm advertising that I need to get this guy out of here.

Getting an upgrade on Mitch is harder than people make it sound. Some guys might be able to shoot 3s better, but you're going to be losing some rim-protection / PNR-defense / finishing-as-a-roll-man unless we're getting AD...and I dunno if that actually helps us unless we're talking about someone who's 38% or better from 3.

cgf
RealGM

Post#127 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm

rammagen wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
TKKnicks1 wrote:

I'm sure he'll showcase some form of a mid range/3pt in at leastlimited capacity now that he'll have an entire off season with this coaching staff.

I'll keep it a buck tho, I'm more excited about him claiming the DPOY from Gobert. Can't wait to play the hawks so Mitch can punk that clown capela. Thinking he sweet like Noel.... Having no answer for him was even more frustrating than having no answer for trae

If we keep Mitch we need to save space so I see a combination of a pg and wing being signed as a free agent

We need a PG & another shot-creator whether we keep Mitch or manage to upgrade on him.

rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#128 » by rammagen » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:34 pm

cgf wrote:
rammagen wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I'm sure he'll showcase some form of a mid range/3pt in at leastlimited capacity now that he'll have an entire off season with this coaching staff.

We need a PG & another shot-creator whether we keep Mitch or manage to upgrade on him.

we do but it will effect who we acquire money wise for cap management
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,093

Post#129 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:43 pm

My main concern with Robinson is where his head is at and what his motivation is to improve.

I mentioned this on the NBNF podcast but it's not the injuries that I'm concerned with as much as his seriousness and commitment to playing the game. He honestly did not look to me to be in good condition to start the season and IMO that contributed to him getting injured. When the rest of your "foundation" teammates (Randle and Barrett) are coming in in great shape and mindset you cannot come in looking like you're 15-20lbs heavy and slower than you were in previous seasons (which is what Robinson looked to me). Honestly go watch some of his games from his rookie season and this season and you guys will see what I mean. He's thicker (not more muscular) this season and noticeably slower.

Now before anyone starts talking about trading him and resigning/starting Nerlens Noel...no...just no. That's not what I meant, where I was going with this nor what I was thinking lol. Let's not get carried away.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#130 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 pm

cgf wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:If Mitch isn't showing a semblance of post moves or a jumper then this is on Mitch.

How would we know if he has any post moves? We only give him the ball when it's time for him to dunk.

That's a chicken or the egg argument.

Is it because that's all he can do, or is it because the Knicks/teams want only that high % play from their C's, if they aren't completely dominant with their post game?

I mean, the way they allow teams to defend has taken away some of the post game. Some of it is the skills the bigs have. I guess the biggest change is that teams feel that if they can shoot north of 33% on 3's, with volume that's the better play, so the 4 out, 1 in rules, but when it does go "in", they want the highest % play.

Mitch still doesn't look like he possesses good post footwork or a jumper yet, though. Hopefully he acquires them.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#131 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm

cgf wrote:
TKKnicks1 wrote:

Speaking of Dwight, should we make a run at him for backup C?

He's basically 7/7 at 17 mpg the last 2 years.
Was paid 2.5 million.
Yes, he might only be interested in teams that are deeper contenders.
cgf
RealGM

Post#132 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm

rammagen wrote:
cgf wrote:
rammagen wrote:If we keep Mitch we need to save space so I see a combination of a pg and wing being signed as a free agent

we do but it will effect who we acquire money wise for cap management

Which is exactly why I don't understand people wanting to use our assets or cap space on a Center before we've upgraded on Elf and gotten another shot-creator :dontknow:

Once we've resolved those two more pressing issues we can re-assess where we stand wrt Mitch.

cgf
RealGM

Post#133 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
cgf wrote:
TKKnicks1 wrote:

Speaking of Dwight, should we make a run at him for backup C?

He's basically 7/7 at 17 mpg the last 2 years.
Was paid 2.5 million.
Yes, he might only be interested in teams that are deeper contenders.

I greatly dislike dwight and would hate having to root for him. But if Noel leaves for a better offer this summer, someone around Dwight's level would be fine.

I'd prefer to go with someone younger...in a perfect world swapping Knox for someone like Bamba...with Taj coming back as the old mentor on the bench, and Obi getting some looks as a smallball-5, as well.

cgf
RealGM

Post#134 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:11 pm

moocow007 wrote:My main concern with Robinson is where his head is at and what his motivation is to improve.

I mentioned this on the NBNF podcast but it's not the injuries that I'm concerned with as much as his seriousness and commitment to playing the game. He honestly did not look to me to be in good condition to start the season and IMO that contributed to him getting injured. When the rest of your "foundation" teammates (Randle and Barrett) are coming in in great shape and mindset you cannot come in looking like you're 15-20lbs heavy and slower than you were in previous seasons (which is what Robinson looked to me). Honestly go watch some of his games from his rookie season and this season and you guys will see what I mean. He's thicker (not more muscular) this season and noticeably slower.

Now before anyone starts talking about trading him and resigning/starting Nerlens Noel...no...just no. That's not what I meant, where I was going with this nor what I was thinking lol. Let's not get carried away.

I guess that could've been it, but I thought Mitch just looked like he had bulked up a little. While the reason he didn't look as freaky was moreso because he was no longer jumping at everything & trying to defend from the ground to avoid fouling as much, rather than him not still being freakishly athletic :dontknow:

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,655

Post#135 » by DaGawd » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:32 pm

cgf wrote:
moocow007 wrote:My main concern with Robinson is where his head is at and what his motivation is to improve.

I guess that could've been it, but I thought Mitch just looked like he had bulked up a little. While the reason he didn't look as freaky was moreso because he was no longer jumping at everything & trying to defend from the ground to avoid fouling as much, rather than him not still being freakishly athletic :dontknow:

I do feel like something was def off with Mitch this season. Even his finishing was ass. Was blowing so many easy layups that he just went up and dunked his rookie season and seemed to get off the ground much slower
BaF
Washington Wizards
cgf
RealGM

Post#136 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:49 pm

DaGawd wrote:
cgf wrote:

I do feel like something was def off with Mitch this season. Even his finishing was ass. Was blowing so many easy layups that he just went up and dunked his rookie season and seemed to get off the ground much slower

I think even that could largely be the result of perception; the combination of him seeming less freaky on the defensive end because he's not leaping around as much, him coming off a record-setting campaign last year, & him getting fewer opportunities for easy buckets in Thibs' offense.

His finishing #s certainly came down from last year, but (IIRC) his #s around the basket were still upper echelon. Especially when you factor in that he wasn't getting nearly as many possessions as a roll man, as he did in his 1st two seasons.

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,081

Post#137 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Mitch on that oreo diet
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
cgf
RealGM

Post#138 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:39 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Mitch on that oreo diet

Yeah, he might be taking this whole "study Embiid" thing too far...

NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#139 » by NYKat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:46 pm

Yeah…

He totally strikes me as the type of kid who would completely phone it in, once he received a big contract
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#140 » by BugginOut » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:06 pm

cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
cgf wrote:I guess that could've been it, but I thought Mitch just looked like he had bulked up a little. While the reason he didn't look as freaky was moreso because he was no longer jumping at everything & trying to defend from the ground to avoid fouling as much, rather than him not still being freakishly athletic :dontknow:

I think even that could largely be the result of perception; the combination of him seeming less freaky on the defensive end because he's not leaping around as much, him coming off a record-setting campaign last year, & him getting fewer opportunities for easy buckets in Thibs' offense.

His finishing #s certainly came down from last year, but (IIRC) his #s around the basket were still upper echelon. Especially when you factor in that he wasn't getting nearly as many possessions as a roll man, as he did in his 1st two seasons.

His finishing at the rim was top tier, but definitely less than last year when he was trying to chase Wilt’s record for highest FG%. He was definitely not getting as much lift and he was missing a lot of bunnies at the rim, which last year was automatic. That plus the fact that his FT% went from average to worse than Shaq levels has me nervous.

Mitch’s only limitation has been mental. He has all the tools to be a multi time DPOY. The problem is though he acts like a kid and a lot of the time he is not focused. Even at the start of training camp Thibs was talking about his immaturity and Thibs NEVER talks bad about anyone. I’m not even concerned about his offensive game like a lot of posters are. To be a valuable player all he needs to go is lock down the paint, get a couple easy buckets a game, not foul and hit a respectable amount of FTs. He can do all that now, the question is will he be able to be consistent with it.

Return to New York Knicks