Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#201 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:16 pm

Dr J at the All Star game in SLC when I was 2-3, pops said he was a cool guy. Shawn Bradley was nice. Gordon Giricek was pleasant enough. Gordon Hayward is a self important douche in my own experience and my family who sprayed his lawn experience as well. Enes Kanter was a really nice guy. Rudy Gobert was a rookie so shy but a massive dude, I’m 6’5” on a good day and I felt small.
Ingles is cooked.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#202 » by jwise44 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Not really meeting him, but I was courtside at a rockets game vs the Knicks and Justin holiday had a bracelet fall off, we had beat the hell out of them and I called out his name loud to try and give it back when he was walking to the locker room

You could tell he assumed I was going to talk **** the way he turned around, but saw I was offering his bracelet back and he said “no keep it”, took a few steps and realized he didn’t say thank you. So he stopped and thanked me

That always made me like him a lot and by extension, his brothers (assume they would be like him)
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,801

Post#203 » by infintybeyond » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
Tim Kempton wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:What fighters? Any known ... I am practically from MMA, I joined Yal Cabral, who had some fights in the UFC and my coach, I trained with Werdum many years ago in Madrid

Dominick Cruz, Mark Coleman, Jim Miller, Pat Barry, and some others. Those four were definitely the nicest.

What's Werdum like? Seems jokey, but I can see him being a bit annoying also.

About 20 years ago, (I would be 15/16 years old) Werdum (20/22) was a really dangerous guy outside of the gym, I remember that he offered 6000 € who defeated him, in an illegal fight ... At that time, Brazilian Jiu jitsu was unknown in Spain ... and we already know how effective it can be ... Big names you met, I specifically like Cruz ... Coleman hated him, since he defeated my childhood idol Shogun Rua, especially because of how it happened

Nice some mma stories.

here is mine. I went to UFC 49 Couture vs Belfort. In between fights, there would be 15-20 minute intermissions, so I would walk around the arena. I saw Tito Ortiz, Nick Diaz, Phil Baroni, and Bill Goldberg(wrestler).

Tito - he was there cutting a promo for his fight with Guy Mezger. After his promo, he was signing autographs, huge crowd around him. I caught him as he was walking away, and he signed my ticket along with many others as he was leaving. He seemed really fan friendly. He signed so many things as he was walking away.

Nick Diaz - he just fought a 3 round fight against Karo Parisyan. I saw him chilling outside the restroom holding his girl. He face was all bruised up and lumpy. I just told him great fight and he thanked me. Really nice guy.

Phil Baroni - I caught him just walking by and i shook his hand and told him i was a huge fan. He just said "appreciate it. thanks". Seemed like a nice guy.

Goldberg - he was standing near where Ortiz was signing autographs and nobody gave a **** about him. It was hard to miss the guy because he was huge. I asked for a picture and he obliged. Really nice guy.

This was my best fan experience going to a sporting event. It was crazy how accessible these fighters were. They were just walking around.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#204 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:24 pm

I enjoyed immensely reading all of the posts in this thread.

Just wanted to leave a thank you for everyone who posted here. Please keep them coming!
3-zx
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#205 » by 3-zx » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Saw Harden playing in a high-roller section at MGM, at around 7am. Gave him a single wave and headnod. Thought I would get one back since I coincidentally had a Rockets t-shirt on.

What I got was this look and a finger motion for the dealer to close the curtains: Image

From that point on, I was no longer a Harden fan. Weird that he's on my home team now.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#206 » by itrsteve » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:34 pm

I was in the elevator at the Ritz in Boston for a Christmas game against the Wizards when and Gortat, Mike Scott and Sato came in. I had my stupid 7lb miniature dachshund on the ground getting ready to take out and made some stupid joke about my killer dog and my presence was rightfully ignored.

The only other person I've met was Scal, cool dude, was willing to take a picture with my preggo wife and I pre-game.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#207 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 pm

infintybeyond wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:
Tim Kempton wrote:

Dominick Cruz, Mark Coleman, Jim Miller, Pat Barry, and some others. Those four were definitely the nicest.

About 20 years ago, (I would be 15/16 years old) Werdum (20/22) was a really dangerous guy outside of the gym, I remember that he offered 6000 € who defeated him, in an illegal fight ... At that time, Brazilian Jiu jitsu was unknown in Spain ... and we already know how effective it can be ... Big names you met, I specifically like Cruz ... Coleman hated him, since he defeated my childhood idol Shogun Rua, especially because of how it happened

Nice some mma stories.

here is mine. I went to UFC 49 Couture vs Belfort. In between fights, there would be 15-20 minute intermissions, so I would walk around the arena. I saw Tito Ortiz, Nick Diaz, Phil Baroni, and Bill Goldberg(wrestler).

Tito - he was there cutting a promo for his fight with Guy Mezger. After his promo, he was signing autographs, huge crowd around him. I caught him as he was walking away, and he signed my ticket along with many others as he was leaving. He seemed really fan friendly. He signed so many things as he was walking away.

Nick Diaz - he just fought a 3 round fight against Karo Parisyan. I saw him chilling outside the restroom holding his girl. He face was all bruised up and lumpy. I just told him great fight and he thanked me. Really nice guy.

Phil Baroni - I caught him just walking by and i shook his hand and told him i was a huge fan. He just said "appreciate it. thanks". Seemed like a nice guy.

Goldberg - he was standing near where Ortiz was signing autographs and nobody gave a **** about him. It was hard to miss the guy because he was huge. I asked for a picture and he obliged. Really nice guy.

This was my best fan experience going to a sporting event. It was crazy how accessible these fighters were. They were just walking around.

That Diaz/Parisyan fight was awesome. I remember it well. 2 fighters who always put on entertaining fights.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#208 » by itrsteve » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Hindenburg wrote:Anyone ever run into Jordan?

I keep hearing and reading that he's an awful human being

I got tickets in the friends and family section to a Bobcats game and Jordan was two rows up and 5 seats over wearing a hideous suit that looked like a burlap sack.

Was pretty shook the whole time that I was in his 10ft radius, didn't have the balls to say anything. He eventually left half way through the second.

Wish I had something juicier, but I was a prisoner in the moment and also didn't want to get kicked out. He didn't return after half time.
Tim Kempton
Starter
And1: 4,901

Post#209 » by Tim Kempton » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
Tim Kempton wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:What fighters? Any known ... I am practically from MMA, I joined Yal Cabral, who had some fights in the UFC and my coach, I trained with Werdum many years ago in Madrid

Coleman's celebration was a bit unnecessary, but that feud in Pride was amazing. Pride was the ****.

In real life, Coleman was awesome. I went to the weigh-ins to some PPV event over a decade ago. Coleman was in the crowd. He was easy to spot because a) He's Mark ****' Coleman and b) Back then, there weren't thousands of fans around. Maybe 100 tops and that might be generous. Anyway, I noticed him and walked up to him. He seemed surprised someone recognized him. We shot the **** for a few minutes and he signed something. Very nice dude.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#210 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:08 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
chudak wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Not a direct answer but thought it was worth mentioning. I taught a handful of future NBA/NFL guys when they were in college at a Big-10 school (long story but basically there's a couple courses almost every athlete takes and I was involved with one for a while). They were all really cool--like really cool--but many were also sort of lazy students in a certain way. Spent half of class dozing off and often seemed a few steps behind the interesting parts of the material or conversation. It was a really interesting class with almost constant participation from everyone (not tooting my horn!--I was just a TA) and the big-money athletes (basketball + football) almost all seemed like they thought it was cool but could only be half present mentally.
This makes a lot of sense to me. You said it yourself - they keep a crazy schedule.
Gave me more perspective on the whole 'student-athlete' thing for sure. The course was about athletics within culture, and it dealt with things like false narratives in pro sports and paying NCAA athletes; most students had passionate opinions and brought in their experiences to test out the readings' points, while the money-sports guys would crank out some stuff like 'we should get paid cuz getting paid is sweet!' They definitely weren't stupid, vibe was more like 'I really don't have the brain space and energy to give you two hours of thought, hope that doesn't piss you off.'

Can confirm - I've tutored several student athletes and was an RA for the athlete's floor at my old uni, and it is just a crazy lifestyle - it honestly does not seem fun at all.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#211 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:38 pm

In summer in Ibiza it is common to meet celebrities ... do not interact with them, normally ... do not write, some because surely they are unknown in the US ... some anecdotes, that I am remembering ..
A friend used to party with Valentino Rossi, he loved the DC10 disco, and he used to go on Mondays ... disguised as a clown, obviously nobody recognized him and no, he didn't drink water ..
I worked for ...Carl Cox (famous DJ) the guy would weigh like 250 pounds and in the height of summer, with the nightclub to overflowing and suffocating heat, I was dressed in a black Adidas tracksuit, long sleeves ... he seemed like a good guy, attentive with people etc ... and very healthy, he ate rice with chicken at break ... which was not the most usual, in that environment
1+1=11
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#212 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:32 pm

Jarrett Jack once threw his sweat towel on my head as he was exiting the floor. Nice guy.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 3,915

Post#213 » by chilluminati » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Mine aren't very exciting, but cool none the less.

I met Chauncey Billups at a meet and greet in a sports store in Detroit back in 06. He didn't take a ton of time with each person since there was a pretty long line of people wanting to get pictures with him, but he was totally professional and somewhat personable. I got a picture taken with him, and he commented on the fact that he didn't see anyone wearing same jersey I had on and gave me a smile (I had a "lightning strikes again" Billups throwback jersey that they rocked for a season).

A much lamer story. Back around 07 or 08 (probably 08), apparently Demar Derozan's AIM account got leaked and a bunch of people added and messaged him. No idea if it was actually him or not, but I did message him something nice. He told me to F off and I got blocked, rightfully so if it was actually him.
makeready
Senior
And1: 1,222

Post#214 » by makeready » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:He saw me coming, held out his hand and said I appreciate you but I'd like to be left alone.

this is the way. i dont begrudge any celeb for needing some personal space but they have to accept the price of fame and take it seriously.
makeready
Senior
And1: 1,222

Post#215 » by makeready » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:10 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:In summer in Ibiza it is common to meet celebrities ... do not interact with them, normally ... do not write, some because surely they are unknown in the US ... some anecdotes, that I am remembering ..
A friend used to party with Valentino Rossi, he loved the DC10 disco, and he used to go on Mondays ... disguised as a clown, obviously nobody recognized him and no, he didn't drink water ..
I worked for ...Carl Cox (famous DJ) the guy would weigh like 250 pounds and in the height of summer, with the nightclub to overflowing and suffocating heat, I was dressed in a black Adidas tracksuit, long sleeves ... he seemed like a good guy, attentive with people etc ... and very healthy, he ate rice with chicken at break ... which was not the most usual, in that environment

carl cox is the nicest dj ive ever talked to, i always wondered what DJs who hit that age and are still famous actually get up to. did he party or all business?
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#216 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:48 pm

makeready wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:In summer in Ibiza it is common to meet celebrities ... do not interact with them, normally ... do not write, some because surely they are unknown in the US ... some anecdotes, that I am remembering ..

carl cox is the nicest dj ive ever talked to, i always wondered what DJs who hit that age and are still famous actually get up to. did he party or all business?

I work ... he was a resident at Space Ibiza, he had a party that was held every week ... I worked as security at the disco ... my job was to make sure he was not disturbed ... I remember with fondness and nostalgia. .those days... Carl Cox is in love with Ibiza, I think ... he has a project to revive Space
1+1=11
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,676

Post#217 » by KembaWalker » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:45 am

I talked to Marbury a few times on the phone the first time he posted his # online when he was losin it
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,450

Post#218 » by Myth » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:23 am

Good: I played Guitar Hero with Greg Oden at a cell phone promo event he was at. My friends and I always played with the mindset of being bandmates, so I was a little caught off guard when he was mildly upset that I beat his score (competitiveness wasn’t surprising in immediate hindsight though). Still a fun memory.

Subpar: Not truly negative, but maybe the closest I can say to bad. I got selected in a contest to join a draft party advertised as hosted by LaMarcus Aldridge. He spent the entire time on couches with his people separated by ropes and banisters, and never once saw him interact with the guests. Didn’t even address the crowd in any way. Just in his own world. I’m pretty sure this was the 2008 draft.

Bad? Not me, but my wife dislikes Patrick Ewing to this day because she and her sister approached him on an airplane and he told them not to bother him. My wife was 10ish and her sister was 16. Mostly seems reasonable to not want bothered on a plane, but my wife insists he was too dismissive of children and it was the way he said it.
Edit: Just asked my wife some clarifying questions. She was 9 and her sister was 15. They asked for an autograph and he bluntly said “No.” They witnessed others approach him and get turned away at the airport, and there seemed to quickly develop a public consensus of the witnesses that he was a jerk to others and an airport staff member exclaimed “He’s an a**hole!”
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#219 » by ImSlower » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:44 am

I've gotten to meet a lot of celebrities/pro athletes in my career bartending or waiting tables in bigger cities, but I don't have any solid NBA player stories compared to my celeb ones or baseball players, alas.

When David Wells was DFA'd from the Padres following a loss to the Cardinals, he was staying at the hotel I worked. I served him a ton of beers, he asked/ordered me to go to the strip club with him and his buddy. It was as insane a night as any Boomer fan would expect. He's terrifying, and also drank more than literally almost anyone I've ever partied with, and that's an absurd amount.

My most resentful moment of any pro sports player was Greg effing' Maddux, again staying at said hotel. This adorable little girl came up, got five feet away, and shyly waved at him. He scoffed and waved her away as if she was a street beggar and he were the king of the world. I'll never forget the look of content he had for a totally innocent child.

Orlando Pace was an absolute class act, served him regularly in my time working Chicago bars. I have pretty big hands for a guy, but his handshake was comical. He is absolutely gigantic. Super friendly, great tipper, top class.

Michael Carter-Williams had brunch at a spot I worked in Manhattan. His waitress said he was a C-word (she was Irish). Someone in their group left a wrinkled receipt on the table for a medical marijuana dispensary in Canada (not MKG's name). Thought that was funny. Wish I'd been able to approach the table and casually tell him he was one of the worst Bulls I've ever had the opportunity to see play (he was with Charlotte in town against the Knicks). Alas.

Even more off topic, the scummiest celeb I interacted with was Michael Cera, who was such a twat to me and my friends that my Irish buddy had to be physically held back from beating his ass - my mate not knowing who he was. He acted much more like his fake persona in This Is The End than any of his shy or nice roles. Absolute knob.
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 763

Post#220 » by bballfan1three3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:24 am

When David Wells was DFA'd from the Padres following a loss to the Cardinals, he was staying at the hotel I worked. I served him a ton of beers, he asked/ordered me to go to the strip club with him and his buddy. It was as insane a night as any Boomer fan would expect. He's terrifying, and also drank more than literally almost anyone I've ever partied with, and that's an absurd amount.

How much to drink is that? Love hearing stories of legendary drinkers

Return to The General Board