Highest Reasonable All-Time Ranking For Draymond Green?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,347

Re: Highest Reasonable All-Time Ranking For Draymond Green? 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:53 pm

Gooner wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Jaivl wrote:Melo is whatever, but I really can't fathom a CAREER list that has Draymond Green over T-Mac or Carter. His case over T-Mac in terms of what happened on the basketball court is pretty much non-existent for now.

I don't want to go on my TMac rant in a Draymond thread, but rest assured I have Green's career over his for sure. And while Vince has longevity I think Green's prime is so much stronger I'm definitely going with him.

This is exactly why these all time "rankings" are completely pointless. How do you even compare Draymond Green to T-Mac or Melo? Completely different types of players in different roles and circumstances. Debating whether T-Mac or Draymond should be ranked 49th or something on some made up ranking list is a complete waste of time.

I enjoy it. I don't need you to manage my time. Interesting that you insist its pointless though yet keep posting. Seems you think it really vital that everyone share your position, so you don't find it pointless at all.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#22 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
I don't want to go on my TMac rant in a Draymond thread, but rest assured I have Green's career over his for sure. And while Vince has longevity I think Green's prime is so much stronger I'm definitely going with him.

This is exactly why these all time "rankings" are completely pointless. How do you even compare Draymond Green to T-Mac or Melo? Completely different types of players in different roles and circumstances. Debating whether T-Mac or Draymond should be ranked 49th or something on some made up ranking list is a complete waste of time.

Yeah, like most things we do especially on the internet, but also in life. A very entertaining waste of time, though.

There is this obsession by many NBA fans to compare and it never ends. It's not the point of basketball that every single player gets compared to every other player that ever existed. It has created this toxic culture of propping up an individual and ignoring the team aspect. I think we need to judge players based on their impact on a team and their standing within their era. I think that's what Draymond Green cares about instead of comparisons to T-Mac, Wes Unseld, Artis Gilmore or however else may be "ranked" close to him.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#23 » by Goudelock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:13 pm

Gooner wrote:This is exactly why these all time "rankings" are completely pointless. How do you even compare Draymond Green to T-Mac or Melo? Completely different types of players in different roles and circumstances. Debating whether T-Mac or Draymond should be ranked 49th or something on some made up ranking list is a complete waste of time.

Honestly tho, this is why I think that even top 10 rankings are dumb. Younger Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played in a completely different era, in a totally different role, against different competition than Wilt/Jordan/Magic/Bird/LeBron/Duncan/Russell/etc did in their primes, and the same can be said for most of the rest of them.

I have no idea how well Abdul-Jabbar would have fared against the teams Jordan faced in the 1990s, and I don't know how Jordan would have done against the squads Abdul-Jabbar played against in the 1970s. So I think ranking them is pretty dumb.

PS: Hey Odin, this is not a shot at your project. That's some great discussion in those threads.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Goudelock wrote:
Gooner wrote:This is exactly why these all time "rankings" are completely pointless. How do you even compare Draymond Green to T-Mac or Melo? Completely different types of players in different roles and circumstances. Debating whether T-Mac or Draymond should be ranked 49th or something on some made up ranking list is a complete waste of time.

Honestly tho, this is why I think that even top 10 rankings are dumb. Younger Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played in a completely different era, in a totally different role, against different competition than Wilt/Jordan/Magic/Bird/LeBron/Duncan/Russell/etc did in their primes, and the same can be said for most of the rest of them.

I have no idea how well Abdul-Jabbar would have fared against the teams Jordan faced in the 1990s, and I don't know how Jordan would have done against the squads Abdul-Jabbar played against in the 1970s. So I think ranking them is pretty dumb.

PS: Hey Odin, this is not a shot at your project. That's some great discussion in those threads.

Of course, even Jordan always says that it's impossible to define the GOAT when you compare players from different eras, even though it favors him. How do you compare Kareem to LeBron, two completely different players from different eras, and it all comes down to generational bias. I understand why people debate who is the best, that's a discussion in any sport, but when you get into these top 100 or top 60, top 70 discussions, comparing these random players, then it gets too far. It's not tennis. It all stems from that goat debate though. I understand why there is a discussion, it's like barbershop talk, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#25 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Gooner wrote:
Goudelock wrote:

Of course, even Jordan always says that it's impossible to define the GOAT when you compare players from different eras, even though it favors him. How do you compare Kareem to LeBron, two completely different players from different eras, and it all comes down to generational bias. I understand why people debate who is the best, that's a discussion in any sport, but when you get into these top 100 or top 60, top 70 discussions, comparing these random players, then it gets too far. It's not tennis. It all stems from that goat debate though. I understand why there is a discussion, it's like barbershop talk, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

You seem to be taking this more seriously than anyone else.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Goudelock wrote:

You seem to be taking this more seriously than anyone else.

I do in a sense that I find it to be a degradation of basketball.

Return to Player Comparisons