Dallas - New Orleans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Dallas - New Orleans 

Post#1 » by Slava » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am

To Dallas: Steven Adams, Josh Hart, 2022 Lakers 1st unprotected
To New Orleans: Kristaps Porzingis

Dallas shaves $30M in salary and possibly gets out of Porzingis' contract a year earlier, gets a serviceable center in return and a starting SG. New Orleans gets a stretch 5 next to Zion and Ingram. I reckon there is a pick to move to make it nicer for Dallas and if 2022 Lakers 1st is less valuable, the other option could be a choice between 2024 or 25 Lakers 1st, a few years down the line after a possible LeBron retirement.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,375

Re: Dallas - New Orleans 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:08 am

Hart is a FA, it'd be S&T, and NOP has the cap space to absorb the difference, so Mavs can sign him by themselves if they want to, Mavs fans don't like it, I do, I find the Mavs severely lacking in physicality and toughness and Adams will provide that, he's also great locker room guy, and it'll give the Mavs extra 14 millions in cap space in addition to the 30 they have if JRich opts out, they'll upgrade through free agency.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#3 » by Apz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:28 am

Not that high on adams, but a 25 lakers first do sound a bit sexy
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Indeed Hart is a FA so this wouldnt work as constructed. I also dont see Nawlins giving up an unprotected pick for KP
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#5 » by Zion Wembanyama » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:27 pm

No thanks from Nawlins.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#6 » by Buzzard » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:02 pm

Take out Hart. Adams and a 1st for KP. Pelicans take all the risk. Adams would be solid in that Dallas rotation.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#7 » by Smirk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Slava wrote:To Dallas: Steven Adams, Josh Hart, 2022 Lakers 1st unprotected

Dallas shaves $30M in salary and possibly gets out of Porzingis' contract a year earlier, gets a serviceable center in return and a starting SG. New Orleans gets a stretch 5 next to Zion and Ingram. I reckon there is a pick to move to make it nicer for Dallas and if 2022 Lakers 1st is less valuable, the other option could be a choice between 2024 or 25 Lakers 1st, a few years down the line after a possible LeBron retirement.

The Mavericks are going to have to give a 1st to get off of Porzingis. There aren't many scenarios where they would receive one.

This is definitely not one of them.
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#8 » by MKWB » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Yea at this point, the closer-value trade is for Adams + Bledsoe, straight up. Saves Mavs future money, Adams could thrive there, and Bledsoe could do something or be easier to re-route to another team with a pick attached.

Mavs fans might not like that, but there's too many red flags there for NOP to add any value for taking the KP gamble. Even with this salary dump/ no picks kinda deal, there would still be some major hesitation from NOP. Griffin and co. really need to hit on there next few moves, Zion needs to start really winning soon, then sustainably after that.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Smirk wrote:
Slava wrote:To Dallas: Steven Adams, Josh Hart, 2022 Lakers 1st unprotected

The Mavericks are going to have to give a 1st to get off of Porzingis. There aren't many scenarios where they would receive one.

This is definitely not one of them.

Agree. I'd rather have KP the player than Adams the player for both Dallas and New Orleans. But once you include the contracts and the health risk, I don't see the Pels adding a 1st and absolutely not an unprotected one.

My problem on the Dallas end is I don't particularly want Adams because I question how much Rick would utilize him and I wouldn't want to have to pay Hart what it would take to get him to choose to sign with Dallas to make this feasible. I think Dallas ends up with a more expensive roster that has a lower ceiling and are left just hoping that AD/Lebron break down again next year to recoup something. All while the Luka clock just ticks away.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#10 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:07 pm

As with all these trades to help the Mavs "get out of" the KP contract, there is never discussion on what the Mavs would do with the Money saved.

KP averaged 20 pts, 9 rebounds, had a 21 PER, shot 38% from 3pt and had a 58% TS. Which free agent would they sign to replace that production? And keep in mind they can already get to max cap space this year without dumping KP.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#11 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

I just don't understand why people continue to post these deals that make the mavs worse on the court with no immediate financial cap space, i think realgm desire to "dump " Porzingis is quite a bit stronger than the mavs
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#12 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 pm

MKWB wrote:Yea at this point, the closer-value trade is for Adams + Bledsoe, straight up. Saves Mavs future money, Adams could thrive there, and Bledsoe could do something or be easier to re-route to another team with a pick attached.

Mavs fans might not like that, but there's too many red flags there for NOP to add any value for taking the KP gamble. Even with this salary dump/ no picks kinda deal, there would still be some major hesitation from NOP. Griffin and co. really need to hit on there next few moves, Zion needs to start really winning soon, then sustainably after that.

Mavs won't make this trade for the same reason NOP jump on this trade, the Mavs won't trade KP just to get rid of him, he had worse defense this year and bad PO series doing what the coach asked him to do, but he is 20/9/2/2 player who spaces the floor.
The guy played 5 seasons, 4 of them were very good ( one of them after his major injury) and 1 bad season (his stats were more than fine, his defense sucked, he's had 20+ PER in each of his last 3 playing seasons), he's not getting traded 2 negative contracts of equal salary over 2 years, Mavs would absolutely roll the dice on him as would any team in the league.
This theme is repeating in many threads, if a team doesn't want KP's risk, that's fine, and understandable, even though I'd disagree in NOP case, but this doesn't mean that the Mavs would just make any trade (Kemba, Wall or broken down bad contracts).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Smirk
Starter

Post#13 » by Smirk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Have you looked at Porzingis's contract? Coupled with his production, injury history, shooting stats this year and attitude...

They should be looking to dump him for as little salary back in return. Sometimes its better for everyone just to move on.

Also, just for clarity sake: I want nothing to do with Porzingis on the Pelicans, even if we are giving nothing but trash back in return.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Smirk wrote:Have you looked at Porzingis's contract? Coupled with his production, injury history, shooting stats this year and attitude...

They should be looking to dump him for as little salary back in return. Sometimes its better for everyone just to move on.

Also, just for clarity sake: I want nothing to do with Porzingis on the Pelicans, even if we are giving nothing but trash back in return.
20/9/2/2 is bad production now?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Smirk
Starter

Post#15 » by Smirk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Smirk wrote:Have you looked at Porzingis's contract? Coupled with his production, injury history, shooting stats this year and attitude...

For what he makes? Yeah. Coupled with his complete lack of defense, reportedly terrible attitude and injury history...yeah. And he shot 29% from 3 in the playoffs (extremely small sample size).
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,477

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Smirk wrote:

For what he makes? Yeah. Coupled with his complete lack of defense, reportedly terrible attitude and injury history...yeah. And he shot 29% from 3 in the playoffs (extremely small sample size).

The fact that you disclaim your point as a small sample size, just so you can ignore what he did for the entire regular season.. discredits the argument.

There’s plenty to talk down about KP, but his three point shooting isn’t it.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,477

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:15 pm

Dallas does this only if they are flipping the LAL pick for immediate help.

NOP doesn’t need to trade unprotected firsts for questionable help.

I’d rather look back at the Maxi+Brunson for draft picks from NOP angle then bicker about if KP would be a good fit. If KP was still the rim protecting floor spacer he should be, then NOP would pay more and Dallas wouldn’t be interested.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#18 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Smirk wrote:

KP had better PER than Ingram every year of his career and was much much better impact on court except for the last season when he was rushed back from surgery.
Yeaj, he's had 2 major injuries in 6 years, he's injury prune, but his healthy production is on par with his contract.
Is he a gamble? You bet! Is he the hottest commodity on the market? Absolutely not! Can he return dollar on 30 cents right now? Absolutely!
Mavs aren't trading him for 30 cents, and they sure as hell aren't trading him for full dollar, how it will go down, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#19 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Smirk wrote:

KP makes $29.4 mil and averaged 20pts per game with a 21 PER. There are 43 players in the NBA who averaged 20 pts per game and about 43 players who made at least $25 mil per year. Some of those players who averaged 20 pts per game were still on rookie contracts and will be making more than $25 mil as soon as they sign a new deal.

27 players played over 25 minutes per game with a 21 PER. 28 Players had higher salaries than KP.

Its perfectly reasonable to not like KP's game or think he isn't a fit on your team. But players who put up 20pts, 9 rebounds and 21 per get max contracts in the NBA.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,775

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:41 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Smirk wrote:

The fact that you disclaim your point as a small sample size, just so you can ignore what he did for the entire regular season.. discredits the argument.

There’s plenty to talk down about KP, but his three point shooting isn’t it.

cmon jay. 27 attempts tell us all we need to know.... But also you know the drill. We are all extremists when it come to these disappointing big contract guys. As Mavs fans how many times do we read how Kemba and Horford are pure trash?

KP's number 1 issue is availability. And its a big one. Big enough that if Smirk wants to stop there and say no thanks I totally get it.
Number 2 issue is it takes him a while to ramp up his mobility off an injury and in those games his defense is so bad it destroys his clear offensive value.

Then we can talk about some other stuff like do his teammates really like him, is he unhappy in his role, those who wish that as a very tall man he played in the post even as we realize post-ups are the least efficient offensive players in the league, etc...

But as much as I'm ready to move on, I'll die on the hill that KP is a good offensive player overall and that not enough recognition of what he means in terms of spacing is happening. Teams absolutely guard him out to the line and often do so with a wing which puts a center on DFS a lot which creates a matchup Dallas can and does exploit.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions