ImageImageImageImageImage

Who will the Knicks Target? Here's a List of REALISTIC Players

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,909

Re: Who will the Knicks Target? Here's a List of REALISTIC Players 

Post#161 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 pm

I'm looking at RFAs like Lonzo, Nunn, Robinson, Trent Jr., Horton-Tucker, etc. this summer who can grow with this team, while we wait to make the right big-move...and get a better idea of what we have in Randle/Barrett moving forward.

Though getting them on contracts that won't hamper their trade-value in the future, will be the key to any addition; as we could find ourselves capped out very soon if next season isn't a disaster.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#162 » by Fury » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:51 pm

cgf wrote:I'm looking at RFAs like Lonzo, Nunn, Robinson, Trent Jr., Horton-Tucker, etc. this summer who can grow with this team while we wait to make the right big move & get a better idea of what we have in Julius moving forward.

Though getting them on contracts that won't hamper their trade-value in the future, will be the key to any addition as we could find ourselves capped out very soon if next season isn't a disaster.

This. I'm good with signing these guys as long as they're not huge deals. I think 3 year deals is the most I'd go and I know that means we will miss out on most of them, but they have to be viable as trading chips for a "disgruntled star" as well.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,265

Post#163 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Knicks upgraded the treadmill

I'm just being difficult for fun.

Yea, seems like everyone is just being difficult.

We all know we are not going to tank/go full rebuild right now...we havent done so for the past 20+ years when we have mostly been bad. So def not going to do that after making the playoffs. Even if we end up being a treadmill playoff team, Dolan would probably be happy with that since its a huge improvement.

We have young players, picks, cap space at least...so ways to get better and keep upgrading that treadmill. Maybe get one of those high end treadmills....a few people around here could probably use some time on the treadmill after eating oreos all season

Yeah. I've been venting/making fun of people the last week.

But Moocow was pretty on point. The Knicks may have to get iteratively better before getting really better.

We all get the Knicks need a shot creating wing and/or PG.

They might not get both this offseason. They might get neither.
It's still ok for them to make moves that slightly improve the team, if that's all that is on offer.
I think they were a borderline playoff team as it is and other teams aren't going to stand pat.
Knicks need to improve a little just to make it back into the playoffs.

It sounds simple, but it's a matter of improving the roster but not capping the team out or not capping it out long term.
If the players they get are any good and paid correctly, they won't be impossible to move.

Targeting guys like Dunn or Oubre isn't the worst ideas, though Oubre should be coming as a 6th man

I mean, unless the Knicks are doing something wild, RJ and Randle are givens in the starting lineup.

That means the upgrades are happening at SG or SF (since RJ can move to either position), PG and MAYBE C.
Either the shot creator comes at wing or PG or both.

And actually, guys like Fournier or Powell aren't bad ideas, depending on the amount and length of contract.
Essentially get them from 28 to 31 or 32

Yea, there are many ways we can do it. And no matter which way to pick to actually build a team that can legit contend is a long shot. Its just tough to do no matter the strategy.

For the Knicks at this point I do agree that if we can take some baby steps without sacrificing too much flexibility then that would be good progress for now. Leave that spot open for a max cat if we cant get one now. Then we are still in position to take a major leap if it comes available....maybe not...but at least theres a chance.

With Oubre, just not a fan of his game. Not a great shooter, and seems to chuck a lot. Although it all depends on what kind of contracts we are looking at too. Powell would be really good, but afraid to imagine what it would take to get him
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#164 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Yea, there are many ways we can do it. And no matter which way to pick to actually build a team that can legit contend is a long shot. Its just tough to do no matter the strategy.

For the Knicks at this point I do agree that if we can take some baby steps without sacrificing too much flexibility then that would be good progress for now. Leave that spot open for a max cat if we cant get one now. Then we are still in position to take a major leap if it comes available....maybe not...but at least theres a chance.

Yup. You need stars to win in this league, but if you don't currently have the opportunity to acquire stars, the next best option is improvement without sacrificing flexibility, to preserve your ability to go after stars if/when the opportunity arises.

And improvement can include gathering more assets, but it also means getting better players. I'm not against adding salary for better players, as long as that salary is either (1) short-term or (2) easily tradeable.

thebuzzardman wrote:If Knicks stick to getting good players on good contracts, team will be in decent shape. And then what happens, who knows.

Bingo. Good players on good contracts will always have value, either for your own team, or as trade pieces to others.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#165 » by BugginOut » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Random, but is there anyway we could sign Chris Paul to a 3 yr/100 million contract and Kawhi to the max just using cap space or would we have to make trades?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,032

Post#166 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm

BugginOut wrote:Random, but is there anyway we could sign Chris Paul to a 3 yr/100 million contract and Kawhi to the max just using cap space or would we have to make trades?

I think we could if we let Randle walk.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,032

Post#167 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Fury wrote:
cgf wrote:I'm looking at RFAs like Lonzo, Nunn, Robinson, Trent Jr., Horton-Tucker, etc. this summer who can grow with this team while we wait to make the right big move & get a better idea of what we have in Julius moving forward.

Though getting them on contracts that won't hamper their trade-value in the future, will be the key to any addition as we could find ourselves capped out very soon if next season isn't a disaster.

This. I'm good with signing these guys as long as they're not huge deals. I think 3 year deals is the most I'd go and I know that means we will miss out on most of them, but they have to be viable as trading chips for a "disgruntled star" as well.

I've wanted the Knicks to look for those kind of deals for awhile now. They don't tend to but never a bad time to start.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgf
RealGM

Post#168 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Fury wrote:

I've wanted the Knicks to look for those kind of deals for awhile now. They don't tend to but never a bad time to start.

We've already seen rumors linking them to guys like Lonzo, Nunn & THT...and though not an RFA, the success they had with Julius as a still-young / on-the-rise signing, should encourage them to look for value in that part of the FA market again.

...so here's to hoping that this new regime gets it :pray:

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#169 » by islanders11040 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm

He feels confident he can get over $20 million per year on a long-term deal, according to Michael Scotto of HoopsHype Podcast. In 2020-21, Oubre made under $14.4 million with the Warriors.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/11/nba-free-agency-knicks-not-alone-in-kelly-oubre-interest/

Kelly Oubre confident he can get 20 mil plus per season on a long term deal?!?! ewwwww
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#170 » by frothbrain » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Oubre is a good basketball player that has the tools to excel under thibodeau at sf. much better than reggie bullock forcing rj to play the 3.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#171 » by frothbrain » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 pm

Knicks need Reggie jackson
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#172 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 pm

islanders11040 wrote:
He feels confident he can get over $20 million per year on a long-term deal, according to Michael Scotto of HoopsHype Podcast. In 2020-21, Oubre made under $14.4 million with the Warriors.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/11/nba-free-agency-knicks-not-alone-in-kelly-oubre-interest/

Kelly Oubre confident he can get 20 mil plus per season on a long term deal?!?! ewwwww

Stay away from him.....
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#173 » by Kampuchea » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Wouldn't mind Kelly Olynyk as a backup to Mitch with Taj back as 3rd stringer PF/C. Noel is a fine backup C as well, I just like having a little shooting there.
cgf
RealGM

Post#174 » by cgf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Oubre has the looks, but not the game.

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,957

Post#175 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Capn'O wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Random, but is there anyway we could sign Chris Paul to a 3 yr/100 million contract and Kawhi to the max just using cap space or would we have to make trades?

I think we could if we let Randle walk.

we could get close with randle but would have to make a couple moves. one of those guys could conceivably come in a s/t agreement where we go over the cap. we've def got the clearance to not go into the tax. and brock aller.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#176 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 pm

cgf wrote:Oubre has the looks, but not the game.

he has the talent. tsunami papi seems to lack maturity and wisdom. but, he's still just 25.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#177 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Kampuchea wrote:Wouldn't mind Kelly Olynyk as a backup to Mitch with Taj back as 3rd stringer PF/C. Noel is a fine backup C as well, I just like having a little shooting there.

i don't think kelly comes cheap after the way he teed off in houston. he was 1st option on a bad team, but buckets get paid.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Appleshampoo
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#178 » by Appleshampoo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm

How about Norman Powell, TJ McConnell, and Will Barton.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,386

Post#179 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Shame on you guys talking yourselves into mini Wiggins aka Oubre
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#180 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:23 pm

frothbrain wrote:Knicks need Reggie jackson

Return to New York Knicks