Head Coach Candidates

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Wiretap has Penny Hardaway interested in an NBA job. he's head coach of Memphis - college not pro - now. I'd interview him.

I’m all for interviewing everyone, but he has not coached particularly well at Memphis. His success so far has come solely from his college recruiting of players he brought up through his AAU program. But, he could always be a guy better at NBA than college.

he's getting 2.325mm a year at Memphis. I don't suppose we'd even consider paying a lead assistant that much and he may have a buyout issue.

I'll admit a racial preference for someone to relate to the players the way Mike Brown did as an assistant here. Every black candidate catches my eye.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,051

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Wiretap has Penny Hardaway interested in an NBA job. he's head coach of Memphis - college not pro - now. I'd interview him.

I’m all for interviewing everyone, but he has not coached particularly well at Memphis. His success so far has come solely from his college recruiting of players he brought up through his AAU program. But, he could always be a guy better at NBA than college.

he's getting 2.325mm a year at Memphis. I don't suppose we'd even consider paying a lead assistant that much and he may have a buyout issue.

I'll admit a racial preference for someone to relate to the players the way Mike Brown did as an assistant here. Every black candidate catches my eye.

I don’t think we even paid Bjorkgren $2.325m per year. Tubby before Penny had a full buyout in his contract, though Penny’s hasn’t been reported. If it’s the same, his buyout would be about $7.5m probably, though if he’s implicated in their NCAA investigation, both sides might agree to just waive it and move on.

I support diversity in hiring here, too. I really wanted Becky Hammon last year, but loved the idea of Chauncey Billups, amongst others.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,273

Post#23 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 pm

I definitely don't think being black is a prerequisite for the job by any means, but I do think the Bjorkgren time here demonstrates the perils involved with having a middle aged white guy trh to tell young black athletes what to do and what's expected of them, especially of they haven't played in the league themselves.

Doubly so if they make 10x what you do.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#24 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:17 pm

boomershadow wrote:I definitely don't think being black is a prerequisite for the job by any means, but I do think the Bjorkgren time here demonstrates the perils involved with having a middle aged white guy trh to tell young black athletes what to do and what's expected of them, especially of they haven't played in the league themselves.

Doubly so if they make 10x what you do.

Certainly doesn't help if you ban durags, even if it is for a maybe valid reason.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:21 pm

I understand saying the coach must be black is as wrong as saying the coach can't be black. Still diversity matters.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#26 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 pm

I took from the press conference that Kevin took a chance to hire an X and O guy and Nate would still be here if he hadn’t lost the team. He kept mentioning that it’s becoming an offensive league but would also note the need for defense which this staff didn’t coach well enough. I’m thinking the next hire has to have successfully been a head coach in the NBA and relate to the players.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Bud wasn't on my list but Bucks tying series with Nets should keep him in Milwaukee.

Sent from my phone.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 666

Post#28 » by jk31 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Wizop wrote:someone on the General Board suggested Sam Mitchell. that's a name I hadn't heard before but he checks all of my boxes - older, black, former player. former Pacer. head coaching experience.

why is skin color on your criteria list?!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:39 pm

jk31 wrote:
Wizop wrote:someone on the General Board suggested Sam Mitchell. that's a name I hadn't heard before but he checks all of my boxes - older, black, former player. former Pacer. head coaching experience.

I understand that I'm violating my own notions of equality and what I really don't want is an all white staff because the last coach had a real problem relating to the players. I think we need a diverse staff which doesn't necessarily mean that the head coach must be a black former player but someone on the staff probably needs to be one.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 666

Post#30 » by jk31 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:06 pm

Wizop wrote:
jk31 wrote:

I understand that I'm violating my own notions of equality and what I really don't want is an all white staff because the last coach had a real problem relating to the players. I think we need a diverse staff which doesn't necessarily mean that the head coach must be a black former player but someone on the staff probably needs to be one.

ah I see. Yeah I guess this makes a lot of sense. I think someone like Popeye Jones 2 years ago would be a really great addition to the coaching staff. What is David West doing these days?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 pm

jk31 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
jk31 wrote:

ah I see. Yeah I guess this makes a lot of sense. I think someone like Popeye Jones 2 years ago would be a really great addition to the coaching staff. What is David West doing these days?

Pritchard said he’s tried to convince David West to take an assistant job, or any job really, with the Pacers every year since he retired, and probably will every year going forward, but David’s life situation isn’t ready to move to Indy and start coaching yet.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#32 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don’t think we even paid Bjorkgren $2.325m per year. Tubby before Penny had a full buyout in his contract, though Penny’s hasn’t been reported. If it’s the same, his buyout would be about $7.5m probably, though if he’s implicated in their NCAA investigation, both sides might agree to just waive it and move on.

I support diversity in hiring here, too. I really wanted Becky Hammon last year, but loved the idea of Chauncey Billups, amongst others.

I'm not sure how I feel about Chauncey Billups

On one hand, the Pistons still has a special place on my to-hate list

On the other hand, poaching "their guy" and having him help us win feels like adequate atonement

I don't know, I'm conflicted
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about Chauncey Billups

On the other hand, poaching "their guy" and having him help us win feels like adequate atonement

Honestly, I doubt we’re going to be willing to pay “top of the market rookie coach” salary to Chauncey Billups while still paying the last year of Bjorkgren. Now, we should absolutely consider paying top coaching salaries going forward with our luxury tax limitations. Paying an extra $1-3m per year could pay off in spades. But, Chauncey is going to want $4+m, much like Nash got. Stotts will come cheap, as Portland is paying him for 2 more years. Clifford would be more affordable with Orlando paying him another year. I hate this is a consideration, but I assume it is. I’d like to be shocked, and I think Pritchard himself would like to keep pushing the boundaries, but I doubt Simon would let him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about Chauncey Billups

I want the head coach to have more experience than he has. as for hate, I still remember Chauncey playing for Colorado and single handedly taking IU out of the NCAAs.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm

SVG fired in NO.

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#36 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:11 pm

I had thought Budenholzer would be an interesting candidate......until I started paying more attention to how his team plays.

They have one of the best point guards in Jrue, but don't allow him to run the team on the floor. If I were Jrue, I'd be more than a little disappointed in how I'm being used.

I can't figure out if Bud or Giannis is dictating that GA handle the ball 95% of the time, but it is a really bad idea regardless. For a guy who has all the physical ability in the world, Giannis is one of the worst decision makers I've seen. Why does Bud allow him to keep hoisting up 3-pointers that have no chance of finding their mark, and to also not be guarding Durant? It is also confusing why neither GA nor Lopez spend very much time around the basket. Verses the Nets you would think one or the other would feast on offense in the paint.

Is it that Giannis is actually running that team instead of Bud? I know a coach defers to his stars a certain amount, but this is not good at all. I know their won/loss says they are great, but watching this tells me a different story.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Scott Brooks out in Washington
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#38 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:06 am

Not a HC candidate but Donnie Nelson is out in Dallas... If they're planning to clean house, wonder if Carlisle would be let go as well.

Speaking of which, if the Pacers want a new FO voice, I'd think Nelson looks like a pretty good candidate. Known for international scouting, credited for Dirk, Nash, and Luka, and of course for building the 2011 team. He also has links to Lithuania, previously having served as assistant coach on the national team.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#39 » by Moooose » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:Not a HC candidate but Donnie Nelson is out in Dallas... If they're planning to clean house, wonder if Carlisle would be let go as well.

Speaking of which, if the Pacers want a new FO voice, I'd think Nelson looks like a pretty good candidate. Known for international scouting, credited for Dirk, Nash, and Luka, and of course for building the 2011 team. He also has links to Lithuania, previously having served as assistant coach on the national team.

In all honestly, I prefer him over Pritchard.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers