Jrue Holiday After Bucks Win: 'If We Got To Muck Up The Game, Then We Got To Muck It Up'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jrue Holiday After Bucks Win: 'If We Got To Muck Up The Game, Then We Got To Muck It Up' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 am

The Milwaukee Bucks beat the Brooklyn Nets 86-83 in Game 3, bringing the series back to 2-1.

Jrue Holiday keyed in on the Bucks defense, saying that his team needed to be able to grind out wins if necessary.

"Defense first," said Holiday afterwards. "Defense wins games, and it wins championships. I think to be able to get a stop even down with two seconds left means a lot. Them scoring 83 points, I feel like for us that's the type of defense we want to play.

"If we got to muck up the game, then we got to muck it up. But when it comes down to it, we want to be aggressive on everyone."

Khris Middleton finished with 35 points, with Giannis Antetokounmpo adding 33 points. Only five players in the game finished in double figures. 

The rest of the Bucks outside of Middleton and Antetokounmpo shot 8-of-34 from the field.

Antetokounmpo shot a playoff career-high eight 3s in the game, making just one.

Antetokounmpo added that he would continue to make the right play as defenses played off him.

"It's all about instinct. Basketball is all about instincts. At the end of the day my instinct is telling me that's the right decision to take it, I'll live with that."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Re: Jrue Holiday After Bucks Win: 'If We Got To Muck Up The Game, Then We Got To Muck It Up' 

Post#2 » by King4Day » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Just need to keep the turnovers down (ie: Giannis' 3pt attempts)
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,316

Re: Jrue Holiday After Bucks Win: 'If We Got To Muck Up The Game, Then We Got To Muck It Up' 

Post#3 » by pilkoids » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:35 pm

It still amazes me how much defense becomes an afterthought in the playoffs. Every team going into the playoffs must know you cannot take a single play off on defense.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#4 » by hyberx » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:00 pm

The game was an eyesore. At the end, both teams didn't run any play other than P&R and 1v1, resulting in missing bad shots over and over again. It is sad to see at the highest level these teams still can't do anything better than that.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:13 pm

The Bucks odds of holding the Nets under 100 points a game again are pretty low. No one in the league is good enough defensively to hold htem to 36% from the field and 25% from 3 four three out of the next four games. You put together the first team all defense, and they still wouldn't accomplish that.

The Bucks are going to need more offense and need Giannis to actually play like an MVP in the playoffs. He scored 33, but used 40 possessions to do so. You simply can't have that.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Discussion