ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part V

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,542

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part V 

Post#181 » by SixthStreet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:48 am

I've been pretty happy with Simmons play in the playoffs so far.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#182 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah I couldn't be happier with him scoring 4 **** points in a statement game.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#183 » by VDT » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:28 pm

4 may be a bit on the low side, but if he defends the opponent's best player, creates points for his teammates and scores 15 efficient points everyone should be satisfied. A team can accommodate only so many iso scorers. What Simmons offers is valuable for the team, people are just disappointed he is not Lebron v2.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#184 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm

Ben's size, speed and such is very much generational. Very few people his size move the way he does.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#185 » by syntax » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:33 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Talent has nothing to do with your impact on the court or how you perform. What you are describing is generational player, not talent.
Talent is merely the things that cannot be taught. Physical tools, hand-eye coordination, vision, etc. Generational talent means that a player has a ridiculous amount of these things at a really high level, but this has nothing to do with how the player, with these tools, performs on the court.
Simmons has all the tools you would want in a player, but he just refuses to use some of them on a consistent basis due to his terrible attitude.

How the team performs on the court? Top in the East?

Curry took 4 seasons to make an all-star team.

Ben is 24 in his 4th season.
shlo
Junior
And1: 247

Post#186 » by shlo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Mik317 wrote:Ben's size, speed and such is very much generational. Very few people his size move the way he does.

He's also very good at bricking layups and missing free throws.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#187 » by syntax » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:12 am

shlo wrote:
Mik317 wrote:Ben's size, speed and such is very much generational. Very few people his size move the way he does.

He's also very good at bricking layups and missing free throws.

Embiid isn't very good at running the break and dishing dimes.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#188 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:54 am

Simmons is giving his critics a gold mine of clips as to how he hurts this team in Game 3 and it’s only halftime.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#189 » by syntax » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:26 am

GoSixersBro wrote:Simmons is giving his critics a gold mine of clips as to how he hurts this team in Game 3 and it’s only halftime.

Yeah go for that gold mine now eh.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#190 » by the_process » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:29 am

Now if he would just maximize the effectiveness of his size and speed all the time…
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#191 » by syntax » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:32 am

the_process wrote:

Now if he would just maximize the effectiveness of his size and speed all the time…

Yes lets maximize everything all the time!!
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#192 » by the_process » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:37 am

syntax wrote:
the_process wrote:

I’d settle for some of the time? Your boy turned it on for for about 5 minutes tonight. That brings his grand total for this series to… 5 minutes.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#193 » by syntax » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:45 am

the_process wrote:
syntax wrote:
the_process wrote:

I’d settle for some of the time? Your boy turned it on for for about 5 minutes tonight. That brings his grand total for this series to… 5 minutes.

Whatever gets the wins
Slick SickSir
Junior
And1: 227

Post#194 » by Slick SickSir » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:29 am

See this is what pisses me off with simmons STANS

Simmons was chewed out and came out in the 3rd quarter amd scores 11 pts.

So u now see, again, what hes capable of doing EVERY GAME.

So every single time his stan fans defend his 4 point or 7 point games with "well he played great D and did everything we needed of him you guys are just stupid" you are essentially saying its OK for him to give half ass effort all the time.

Its pathetic. Hes a max ayer he should play with max effort on both ends

Imagine if embiid decided he only wants to play his best on defense from now on amd wants to just chill n watch on offense....

Simmons was great after half. Now **** do it every game, and STOP defending him when he doesnt
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#195 » by zaz102 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 am

Slick SickSir wrote:See this is what pisses me off with simmons STANS

So every single time his stan fans defend his 4 point or 7 point games with "well he played great D and did everything we needed of him you guys are just stupid" you are essentially saying its OK for him to give half ass effort all the time.

Imagine if embiid decided he only wants to play his best on defense from now on amd wants to just chill n watch on offense....

Simmons was great after half. Now **** do it every game, and STOP defending him when he doesnt
Ironically, I think you're overating Ben's offensive game. He had one good half against an average to bad defensive team. Having a great game once in awhile doesn't mean a player can do it all the time or against every team.

But really, can't we just chill for a little bit on getting fired up on Ben until it matters at least. He's not going to all of sudden be an offensive juggernaut, you'll have your chance to get your angry takes in at least the next round.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#196 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:33 am

This, it's amazing how people don't get it. Many think if he doesn't score it's because he is not capable of scoring consistently. But this couldn't be further from the truth. He is just content chilling out there most of the time.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#197 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 pm

syntax wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:Simmons is giving his critics a gold mine of clips as to how he hurts this team in Game 3 and it’s only halftime.

Yeah go for that gold mine now eh.

Let your emotions go. This is simply a forum to analyze basketball.

Simmons did exactly what we all wanted him to in the second half. It was night and day. Believe it or not, I want Simmons to succeed in a Sixers uniform. Pointing out the holes in his game isn't a personal vendetta. I even acknowledged how well he was playing in the second half in the game thread.

I know you're likely a young Australian fan with posters of Ben in your room, but put on your big boy pants and accept that people are going to scrutinize every top player in the league. Trust me, I grew up as an Iverson stan.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#198 » by zaz102 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:

This, it's amazing how people don't get it. Many think if he doesn't score it's because he is not capable of scoring consistently. But this couldn't be further from the truth. He is just content chilling out there most of the time.
Its not that simple. With all the times he needed to show up offensively and didn't (playoff games, when Embiid is out, etc.), why wouldn't he? Do you think he is just lazy or doesn't want to win games? I can't think of a non-silly answer here other than he thinks (knows) he's not a great offensive weapon.

We're talking about a limited player that needs to drive to have any chance to score. He can't shoot well and doesn't have the best touch at the rim. Opponents know where he's going.

Sure he could be more aggressive at shooting and I think he should shoot a bit more, but he's not very good at it. He sometimes is more aggressive at driving when paint is clogged and usually it doesn't end well. And clearly he is terrible at shooting free throws.

IMO, he needs to try to improve on some type of shot to add to his repitoire, and get better at shooting free throws, and touch around the rim. But these are things that plagued him since he got in the league, so I don't have confidence that it'll change. I don't think he's just hiding this part of his game.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#199 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:54 pm

zaz102 wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Its not that simple. With all the times he needed to show up offensively and didn't (playoff games, when Embiid is out, etc.), why wouldn't he? Do you think he is just lazy or doesn't want to win games? I can't think of a non-silly answer here other than he thinks (knows) he's not a great offensive weapon.

We're talking about a limited player that needs to drive to have any chance to score. He can't shoot well and doesn't have the best touch at the rim. Opponents know where he's going.

Sure he could be more aggressive at shooting and I think he should shoot a bit more, but he's not very good at it. He sometimes is more aggressive at driving when paint is clogged and usually it doesn't end well. And clearly he is terrible at shooting free throws.

IMO, he needs to try to improve on some type of shot to add to his repitoire, and get better at shooting free throws, and touch around the rim. But these are things that plagued him since he got in the league, so I don't have confidence that it'll change. I don't think he's just hiding this part of his game.

Mainly psychological reasons, he is afraid of having to shoot FT, and also fear of failure, his mentality being "it's better if my teammates miss shots instead of me".
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#200 » by zaz102 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:04 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Mainly psychological reasons, he is afraid of having to shoot FT, and also fear of failure, his mentality being "it's better if my teammates miss shots instead of me".
But he stinks at shooting free throws and his teammates are much better shooters than him, right?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers