ImageImageImage

Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Re: Around the League: Playoffs and beyond! 

Post#761 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:35 pm

Eyeamok wrote:One thing I really dislike about the modern NBA is the way guys will be right under the rim and kick it out for a 3 point shot. What's wrong with a 2 point shot when you are at the rim?

Nothing. Unless you're a scrub and blow the lay-up.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,407

Post#762 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:44 am

76ciology wrote:- how to beat the Nets? Get the ball out of KD’s hands and let guys like Bruce Brown beat you.

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,014

Post#763 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:43 pm

76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:- how to beat the Nets? Get the ball out of KD’s hands and let guys like Bruce Brown beat you.

Winning a playoff game with defense, what a novel concept.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#764 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Kevin can't cook anyway, so it's not like he was going to score in the final possession!

Not having Kyrie on the ball is a wild choice by Nash, though.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#765 » by DCasey91 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:35 pm

I still think top ten defense and average offense is better in the end then the opposite at least that’s what historically true.

See how the tree shakes out in the end I guess.
If a team had octane offense and and no defense you can easily replace a player for an elite defender.

Best example is the Nuggets with Jokic and Murray. with MPJ I don’t rate their chances in the future.

We are basically right there it’s just our two main options can be mitigated. We aren’t Wallace Pistons that have lost games because they couldn’t score enough.

I think we may only need one more assured player to score 20 that’s it.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#766 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Kevin can't cook anyway, so it's not like he was going to score in the final possession!

It was a botched inbounds. It was supposed to go to Kyrie most likely. Bruce Brown wound up with the ball. People are killing Bruce Brown, but that's what happens when a team plays some defense on a key possession and forces a role player into making decisions with the clock running and in a hostile environment.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#767 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:01 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Kevin can't cook anyway, so it's not like he was going to score in the final possession!

It was a botched inbounds. It was supposed to go to Kyrie most likely. Bruce Brown wound up with the ball. People are killing Bruce Brown, but that's what happens when a team plays some defense on a key possession and forces a role player into making decisions with the clock running and in a hostile environment.

Also Irving was being blanketed by Jrue Holiday who is very good at defense.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#768 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:02 pm

DCasey91 wrote:I still think top ten defense and average offense is better in the end then the opposite at least that’s what historically true.

If a team had octane offense and and no defense you can easily replace a player for an elite defender.

Best example is the Nuggets with Jokic and Murray. with MPJ I don’t rate their chances in the future.

We are basically right there it’s just our two main options can be mitigated. We aren’t Wallace Pistons that have lost games because they couldn’t score enough.

The Nets are 22nd in Defensive Net rating. There has never been an NBA champion with a defensive net rating anywhere near as low as the '21 Brooklyn Nets. If they win it will be unprecedented.

The Nuggets are 13th in defensive net rating, and I'm not sure if there have been any Champions who were even that low.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#769 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:09 pm

LloydFree wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:I still think top ten defense and average offense is better in the end then the opposite at least that’s what historically true.

The Nets are 22nd in Defensive Net rating. There has never been an NBA champion with a defensive net rating anywhere near as low as the '21 Brooklyn Nets. If they win it will be unprecedented.

The Nuggets are 13th in defensive net rating, and I'm not sure if there have been any Champions who were even that low.

The '01 Lakers were low because Kobe and Shaq both missed time/they didn't take the regular season seriously. They were the best defense in the league in 2000.

If the Nets win with 3 of the top whatever offensive players in the game/all time I'm not sure how that informs the rest of the league from a team building standpoint. Sometimes there are just anomalies.

People talk about the offense versus defense thing like it's an either or. It's Morey's job to make the offense better without sacrificing much if anything on defense.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#770 » by DCasey91 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:10 pm

LloydFree wrote:

I’d like to see the overall ppg allowed on teams once the playoff’s are over.

I don’t take that much stock out of RS play (Injuries, matchups, gameplan, cruise mode etc).

Playoffs is the most valuable part of course. Ranked defenses that have high seedings go pretty damn far.

Maybe individual offense is over stated and sometimes maybe individual defensive prowess is too. But that’s circumstantial somewhat.

It is a team game after all.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#771 » by VDT » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Lakers had the 21st best defense but the 2nd best offense in 2001.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#772 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:43 pm

I dont know what the stats say. But on eyetest, KD is more dangerous than Kyrie. He just can shoot over anyone.

Stay close to challenge his shot and he got the length to leave you behind.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#773 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm

The game has changed. I think you could win the championship with an elite offense and average defense.

But you can’t generalize everything because there’s a wide spectrum of elite offense and average defense. Match-up also matter a lot.

But the point is offense can more than make-up on whatever you lack on defense.

I like the idea of Kobble of a way to play defense nowadays is attacking the scorer’s defense. Playing defense by playing more offense.

Kind of like the modern economy. Printing money to solve the problem of too much printed money.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#774 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:35 pm

I like the 76ers chances against the Nets' and their switching defense. As long as Tobias Harris doesn't get Star struck, and treats the Nets' poor defenders the way he has treated poor defenders and mismatches, all year, the Nets won't stop the 76ers. The Nets can be beat if you're putting the ball in the basket, and making the Nets play half court on offense every possession.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#775 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:30 pm

76ciology wrote:The game has changed. I think you could win the championship with an elite offense and average defense.

But you can’t generalize everything because there’s a wide spectrum of elite offense and average defense. Match-up also matter a lot.

But the point is offense can more than make-up on whatever you lack on defense.

I like the idea of Kobble of a way to play defense nowadays is attacking the scorer’s defense. Playing defense by playing more offense.

Kind of like the modern economy. Printing money to solve the problem of too much printed money.

The Nets could absolutely win the title, but I think if a team tries to emulate them they’re a lot more likely to end up like the Blazers.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#776 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:43 pm

76ciology wrote:

I dont know what the stats say. But on eyetest, KD is more dangerous than Kyrie. He just can shoot over anyone.

As an opposing team, I will live with the results of forcing KD to put the ball on the floor every time.

I don't want no parts of having to defend Kyrie on a final possession.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#777 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:57 pm

76ciology wrote:

The main drawback of my strategy is that it's easily mitigated by a team just committing to fighting through screens. Which NBA players can be convinced to do for a playoff series (they won't do it throughout the course of an entire season, though).
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#778 » by blargh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:

As an opposing team, I will live with the results of forcing KD to put the ball on the floor every time.

Sure, if it’s flattened out on a final possession, I’d rather Kyrie get the ball. But in any scenario where you can screen and the defense doesn’t want to switch, KD gets an easier shot. He can’t create it all by himself, but he needs so little help to create a completely unguardable look.

I think the way to defend KD will be the way we’re defending Trae: switch heavily. We’ve got the personnel where unless Seth end up on him, Ben, Matisse, Joel, or Tobias could all guard him okay.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#779 » by 76ciology » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:14 am

blargh wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Sure, if it’s flattened out on a final possession, I’d rather Kyrie get the ball. But in any scenario where you can screen and the defense doesn’t want to switch, KD gets an easier shot. He can’t create it all by himself, but he needs so little help to create a completely unguardable look.

I think the way to defend KD will be the way we’re defending Trae: switch heavily. We’ve got the personnel where unless Seth end up on him, Ben, Matisse, Joel, or Tobias could all guard him okay.

The problem with switching is unlike with trae, only Ben and Biid really can challenge KD’s high shot release.

What ive seen is most teams just try to stop his penetration by footspeed and not let him close to the rim. Like when they put CP3 on him before and now with Tucker.

Guys like Gary Clark and Tolliver may work (not saying it would) on trying to defend KD.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#780 » by VDT » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:16 am

The Sixers will ( not can) beat the Nets if Harden is not played assuming Embiid can play at a high level. Durant and Kyrie iso cant win a series against a good team imo. The Bucks are currently proving to be mental midgets and have the issue that their best player is limited in the half court but i still think they have a good chance against these Nets. Now if Harden comes back healthy it becomes hard to beat because he creates shots for everyone and can also score himself.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers