ImageImageImageImageImage

Kerr on coaching staff changes coming

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Re: Kerr on coaching staff changes coming 

Post#21 » by TB » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:49 pm

Johnnie Bryant is one of the premier up and coming coaches, and he's got Oakland/SF history (from oakland, went to school in SF). Would be a bummer to miss out on getting him into our system just because we have Mike Brown as our associate head coach.

Everything i've read is we are brining in more veteran coaches... we already have veteran coaches and if anything we are falling behind on new strategies and ideas. I'd say we go all out and pay Bryant double what the Knicks are for him to be our Associate Head Coach. Move Mike Brown into the front office. And then go also get Natalie Nakase to take Collins spot on the bench. She's worked under our old SC Warriors coach, and has tons of experience on the bench with Doc Rivers.

Let's get back to being lightyears. Pay up for Bryant and Nakase. Get Mike Brown in the front office so the Lacob boys actually have someone in the room that knows the players, coaches, and has a great rep in the league.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,239

Post#22 » by Onus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:18 pm

TB wrote:Johnnie Bryant is one of the premier up and coming coaches, and he's got Oakland/SF history (from oakland, went to school in SF). Would be a bummer to miss out on getting him into our system just because we have Mike Brown as our associate head coach.

Everything i've read is we are brining in more veteran coaches... we already have veteran coaches and if anything we are falling behind on new strategies and ideas. I'd say we go all out and pay Bryant double what the Knicks are for him to be our Associate Head Coach. Move Mike Brown into the front office. And then go also get Natalie Nakase to take Collins spot on the bench. She's worked under our old SC Warriors coach, and has tons of experience on the bench with Doc Rivers.

Let's get back to being lightyears. Pay up for Bryant and Nakase. Get Mike Brown in the front office so the Lacob boys actually have someone in the room that knows the players, coaches, and has a great rep in the league.

I'm shocked at the knowledge of assistant coaches of other teams. That's impressive
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#23 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:27 am

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:Johnnie Bryant is one of the premier up and coming coaches, and he's got Oakland/SF history (from oakland, went to school in SF). Would be a bummer to miss out on getting him into our system just because we have Mike Brown as our associate head coach.

I'm shocked at the knowledge of assistant coaches of other teams. That's impressive

Indeed. Nice write up! Any other suggestions for the coaches?
TB
General Manager

Post#24 » by TB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:56 am

Only other suggestions would be Clyde/Onus in charge of the draft until they kill each other, FNQ in charge of medical staff, and Coxy replacing Franco Finn.

thanks for the kind words though!
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#25 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:10 am

I've been wanting turnover for a while. Don't really like Mike Brown all that much.

Bryant would be great. Nakase coming to the big Warriors would be good, Aaron Miles the former head coach in SC has been on the Warriors player development staff but I don't know that promoting from within is what I would go for here.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#26 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

I've been wanting turnover for a while. Don't really like Mike Brown all that much.

Bryant would be great. Nakase coming to the big Warriors would be good, Aaron Miles the former head coach in SC has been on the Warriors player development staff but I don't know that promoting from within is what I would go for here.

Mike Brown seems to be a nice guy, but I've never thought of him as a very tactically adept coach. In his Cavs days, he ran very uncreative and slow offenses with... a young LeBron James. There were no attempts at having a beefed up transition game, just a 90's slow-it-down slow.

I will give him credit for simplifying things in his stint as head coach when Kerr had his back issues. Brown had no issue just giving the ball to Durant for him to drag Gobert into high PNR's.

But that's not exactly rocket science. I really don't think Mike Brown is the guy with answers for how to break box-and-1's vs. Steph Curry or find a way to make James Wiseman useful offensively next to Draymond Green.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#27 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

I think Brown was brought in partly to be a buffer between Draymond and Kerr.
TB
General Manager

Post#28 » by TB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 pm

I agree with everything said about Mike Brown, and would add that I don't see his style as a negative. Need people like him in the organization that are respected, old school, people person types rather than x/o wizards.

But if you can get Johnnie Bryant back to the bay area by giving him the Associate Head Coach role, I think it would be a great time to move Mike Brown to the front office as an assistant GM if he's interested in that route. It would be great to see a guy that has such a great resume and reputation league wide get rewarded with a front office gig. I also think it would be nice to have someone like him reaching out to vets about a minimum deals instead of Myers and Lacob's kids who don't have the league-wide reputation Brown does. Obviously don't need him making the final draft day decisions, but he's a great guy to have in the room at these negotiations.

It's never going to happen, but my dream staff would be:
Head coach - Kerr
Associate head coach - Johnnie Bryant
Assistant - Natalie Nakase
Assistant - Fraser
Assistant / head of player development - Adams
GM - Myers
Assistant GM - Lacob and Brown
Onus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Onus » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:00 pm

There’s no limit to the amount of coaches we can have. I think at one point the lakers bench had more coaches than players.
Mylie101
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#30 » by Mylie101 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am

I’d like a young college mind involved somehow. Some up and comer
Mylie101
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#31 » by Mylie101 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am

Also need the front office to look into roster building again. But he’s in Atlanta.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#32 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:14 pm

Onus
RealGM

Post#33 » by Onus » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:34 pm

Interesting … let’s turn wiseman into Jokic let’s go /s
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#34 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:45 pm

interesting hire, I won't pretend to know anything about him but I hope he has some impact on the staff.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#35 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:55 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

interesting hire, I won't pretend to know anything about him but I hope he has some impact on the staff.

From NBCsports Bay Area:

The 44-year-old coached Denver Nuggets big man Nikola Jokic in Serbia for a couple years before the 2020-21 NBA MVP came over to the United States.

"Like Jokic, Milojevic was once a Serbian center, a rugged, undersized big man whose deft skills and tenacity on the glass earned him the nickname 'The Serbian [Charles] Barkley,' " ESPN's Jackie MacMullan wrote in September 2020. "He was a sturdy player who lifted weights in his kitchen. He was not averse to mixing it up on the court should a physical presence be required.

"Milojevic was known for his exceptional footwork, a skill that he passed along to Jokic. 'I showed him some things and after a week, he had already passed me in ability.' "

Milojevic this season was the head coach of a team based in Podgorica, Montenegro.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#36 » by WarriorGM » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:10 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

From NBCsports Bay Area:

The 44-year-old coached Denver Nuggets big man Nikola Jokic in Serbia for a couple years before the 2020-21 NBA MVP came over to the United States.

"Like Jokic, Milojevic was once a Serbian center, a rugged, undersized big man whose deft skills and tenacity on the glass earned him the nickname 'The Serbian [Charles] Barkley,' " ESPN's Jackie MacMullan wrote in September 2020. "He was a sturdy player who lifted weights in his kitchen. He was not averse to mixing it up on the court should a physical presence be required.

"Milojevic was known for his exceptional footwork, a skill that he passed along to Jokic. 'I showed him some things and after a week, he had already passed me in ability.' "

Milojevic this season was the head coach of a team based in Podgorica, Montenegro.

I wonder if the impetus for hiring him was Wiseman—or Smailagic.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#37 » by Mob Byers » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:16 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Spoiler:
whatisacenter wrote:

From NBCsports Bay Area:

I wonder if the impetus for hiring him was Wiseman—or Smailagic.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If this then Lacob's nepotism needs to end
FloydWarrior
Junior
And1: 182

Post#38 » by FloydWarrior » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:34 pm

Smailagic will rise up and start doing Dream shakes left & right at training camp.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#39 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Smiley fell off a cliff this year. Even in the g-league
Onus
RealGM

Post#40 » by Onus » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 pm

This hire means wiseman isn’t going to be moved. Hopefully this guy can make the most of wiseman.

Return to Golden State Warriors