Image ImageImage Image

Cowley: Bulls chances to be a top tier playoff (top 4-7) are pretty thin over the next 2 years

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,331

Re: Cowley: Bulls chances to be a top tier playoff (top 4-7) are pretty thin over the next 2 years 

Post#41 » by pipfan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:29 pm

Here's my point, with the idea of dumping Lavine and Vuc if we got Cunningham, and getting another young stud

1-BRK looks invincible, and lots of other teams look great
2-Cunningham would have to be a Luka-level talent, and soon, for us to win a title
3-If we move up, and start over-lots of team might trade a top 5 pick in this draft to get Lavine and Vuc (plus other stuff for us)
4-A young core of, let's say Cunningham/White/Williams/Lauri/Wiseman, plus Brown and the #6 pick (trading with GS obviously now) looks pretty interesting. Plus, our 2023 pick would still be top 3 protected-assuming we suck again
5-For the first time in a few years, I have been watching the playoffs. I just don't see us competing with these top teams, led by Lavine and Vuc

BUT-I am fine riding it out-whether we get lucky and move up, or we lose the pick and add some decent help in FA. At least we won't suck anymore
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Re: Cowley: Bulls chances to be a top tier playoff (top 4-7) are pretty thin over the next 2 years 

Post#42 » by weneeda2guard » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 pm

It is very difficult for me to properly analyze exactly what we have with the vooch and lavine duo. We got vooch at the deadline. Right out the gate lavine got a bum ankle and eventually missed time. Then our schedule was absolutely brutal coming out the trade deadline with a ton of games on the road playing every other day very little to no practice because all the in between days were spent traveling. I suspected this was the case during the season then temple confirmed this during a interview.

So what would this team be with a full training camp a few upgrades in depth and some rest during the season?
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#43 » by TheStig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:22 pm

I think we add a piece in the summer, we didn't have Lavine for the cruical stretch, didn't have Vuc or Theis for half the year and those guys didn't have a training camp.

I think this team will be better. I think they will have the talent now to get to the playoffs. And I think AKME is done pandering to the underachievers like the former regime (cough Lauri, Carter, Val, Coby). I think this team is playing for today.
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Post#44 » by dukeespn » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

Tetlak wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Tetlak wrote:Lmao the Knicks? Their best player appeared to be Derrick Rose during the playoffs. They are one of the least talented teams in the league. Imagine saying that a team like that is entrenched as a top 4 team in the East.

Even when they inevitably get Demar Derozan or whatever, they're not scaring anybody.

The Heat also don't scare anybody.

Boston - yes, just because the Tatum and Brown core.

Hawks - yes.

Do the Bulls “scare anybody”? Besides me?

Nope, but Zach Lavine certainly is scarier than anyone on the Knicks or Heat at the moment. Especially after what Booker is doing in the playoffs.

Having "scary" players on a team that even can't make the fake playoffs(a.k.a. play-in) OR building a team that makes the 8th seed at least while having none "scary" player. Which one is better?

I"ll say the latter is much better whenever you ask me since basketball is team sports. You clearly seem to forget that simple and important fact.

Besides is it possible that your team even failed to make the 10th seed while you have a "scary" player? 

Don't say about Booker. He already showed his ability to lead his team to victories last year in the bubble before CP3 joined the team. What have Zach LaVine showed in his Bulls tenure? Helping the Bulls make the 11th seed in a weak conference?

Yeah I know what you guys gonna tell. Zach NEEDS help!! OK so how can AKME get decent nba starting caliber players while the Bulls lack both future assets AND salary cap?

The Bulls desperately need reliable ball-handlers who can distribute while every 30 teams in the league seeks to get good ones. They also need 3&D wings and coincidentally every 30 teams wants to get decent 3&D wings. The Bulls's record this year is not inspiring at all and they don't have enough cap space to get multiple decent players this summer. So how can AKME persuade decent players to come to the Bulls?
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,133

Post#45 » by Tetlak » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm

dukeespn wrote:
Tetlak wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Do the Bulls “scare anybody”? Besides me?

Nope, but Zach Lavine certainly is scarier than anyone on the Knicks or Heat at the moment. Especially after what Booker is doing in the playoffs.

Having "scary" players on a team that even can't make the fake playoffs(a.k.a. play-in) OR building a team that makes the 8th seed at least while having none "scary" player. Which one is better?

I"ll say the latter is much better whenever you ask me since basketball is team sports. You clearly seem to forget that simple and important fact.

Besides is it possible that your team even failed to make the 10th seed while you have a "scary" player? 

Don't say about Booker. He already showed his ability to lead his team to victories last year in the bubble before CP3 joined the team. What have Zach LaVine showed in his Bulls tenure? Helping the Bulls make the 11th seed in a weak conference?

Yeah I know what you guys gonna tell. Zach NEEDS help!! OK so how can AKME get decent nba starting caliber players while the Bulls lack both future assets AND salary cap?

The goal is to win a title, not be the 8th seed.

Yes, it's a team game. You need a good team.

But MORE importantly, once you have a good team - If you want to succeed you need players that can assert their will on a game. Period.

So yeah, give me the scary player over an 8th seed full of hard playing average vets. Thanks.

It's way easier to get solid vets than it is to get a dynamic star player.
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Post#46 » by dukeespn » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Tetlak wrote:
dukeespn wrote:
Tetlak wrote:

The goal is to win a title, not be the 8th seed.

Yes, it's a team game. You need a good team.

But MORE importantly, once you have a good team - If you want to succeed you need players that can assert their will on a game. Period.

So yeah, give me the scary player over an 8th seed full of hard playing average vets. Thanks.

It's way easier to get solid vets than it is to get a dynamic star player.

I already knew AK has been quite delusional since he joined the Bulls and it seems like he also makes some fans dreaming delusional fantasy.

What? Winning a title?

If this team's purpose is really to get another title in the near future - then why the fuxxing hell did AKME trade for Vuc who is not and will never be someone that can lead his team to high stages like the finals?

How will AKME get a true star player who can lead his team to the finals after they trade away two precious FRPs?
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#47 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:02 pm

I think getting up to 5 is definitely possible

NY - They had great injury luck this year but we know the way Thibs plays guys that injuries will happen. They also have several important FA they need to keep.

Miami- We'll see what they do, Robinson and Nunn are both FA and they might lose both Dragic and Iguodala to try to keep them. Jimmy also seems to regularly miss at least 20% of the year now and they were bad in those games.

Boston - Definitely would bet on them being better next year but now that they actually are paying Jaylen and Tatum real money they don't have a whole lot of flexibility aside from trading Kemba and hoping some of their young guys turn into rotation players
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,161

Post#48 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:00 pm

If expecting a bunch of career losers to turn it around is your thing...well...have at it.

This team is going nowhere until they draft a superstar.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#49 » by Red8911 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:33 pm

The way the rosters are now the Nets are way above everyone else in the East. Then Philly and Bucks are the second tier teams but not by much. The rest of the east is pretty open to be honest. Hawks, Knicks,Heat and Celtics are there now for 4-7 spots but there’s no reason the bulls can’t make any of those spots.

They’re just as talented and IMO should be better than at least 2-3 of those teams. If the bulls play the way their capable of playing I’m confident they will make the 4-6 seed next season.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,337

Post#50 » by drosestruts » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Two of the top 4 teams in the East this season: Brooklyn and New York, I would not have guessed two years ago they'd be a top-4 team in the East in 2020.

In fact, two years ago, the Knicks literally had the worst record in the entire NBA.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#51 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:07 pm

drosestruts wrote:Two of the top 4 teams in the East this season: Brooklyn and New York, I would not have guessed two years ago they'd be a top-4 team in the East in 2020.

In fact, two years ago, the Knicks literally had the worst record in the entire NBA.

2 great examples, I'll add these:

The Hawks were 20-47 last season, now they're a 2nd round team

The Knicks were 21-45 last season, top-4 in the East this season

The Rockets had the 8th best record in the NBA last season, the worst this season

The Raptors had the 2nd best record in the league last season, the 7th worst this season
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#52 » by SfBull » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:07 pm

The best and most realistic way for the Bulls turning into a playoff team next season would be IMO:
1.Being lucky in the lottery getting a top 4 pick
or
2.A draft day trade involving Zach looking for something between #1 to #4.
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#53 » by xpmar9x » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 pm

SfBull wrote:The best and most realistic way for the Bulls turning into a playoff team next season would be IMO:
or

I'd be shocked if one of these rookies #1-#4 would have more of an impact next season than Lavine.

Future seasons... definitely possible.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#54 » by SfBull » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 pm

xpmar9x wrote:
SfBull wrote:The best and most realistic way for the Bulls turning into a playoff team next season would be IMO:
or

I'd be shocked if one of these rookies #1-#4 would have more of an impact next season than Lavine.

Future seasons... definitely possible.

Perhaps yes,a guy like Cade or Suggs could elevate the Bulls for a playoff team in his first season preferentially playing along Zach ,one of these players could be a huge improvement over what we have now on pg and forward . If we can think about our roster being on the verge of becoming a playoff team it wouldn't be unrealistic trying to get a generational player from the upcoming draft.It would be different than inserting a rookie in a lottery roster.It seems like we have improved after Vuc's trade and in need of just a good to great player on 1 or 3 for playoff contention,sounds overoptimistic perhaps but I'd give it a try.Obviously it would be much better keeping Zach so I'd choose the first plan if we could be lucky.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#55 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:38 pm

Bulls have lot of issues. But their chances to be top tier depend exactly on one thing and one thing alone. Playmaker or plural playmakers. Bulls have none. Moment they get one or lucky for us two depends how good they are we may even skip 4-7 and get to 1-3.

Thing is I dont see talent currently on roster which can develop into one let alone two. Which means Bulls need to be f creative and get it through FA by overpaying, through G-league spotting talent or getting heavily lucky in lottery in coming days.

Return to Chicago Bulls