Jordan Poole

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,718

Re: Jordan Poole 

Post#81 » by floppymoose » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:22 pm

It absolutely was a development year for Poole and that's why he was in Santa Cruz. Wiseman should have been there too. He should be there next year. It will never happen, though.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#82 » by Onus » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm

floppymoose wrote:It absolutely was a development year for Poole and that's why he was in Santa Cruz. Wiseman should have been there too. He should be there next year. It will never happen, though.

I agree the inconsistency is the issue.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#83 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:45 pm

floppymoose wrote:It absolutely was a development year for Poole and that's why he was in Santa Cruz. Wiseman should have been there too. He should be there next year. It will never happen, though.

The G league was open for a month and Wiseman was out injured the first three weeks of it. I don't know how much Poole developed in a month, though he did seem to gain some confidence.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#84 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:13 pm

killmongrel wrote:
FNQ wrote:
killmongrel wrote: Agreed, but damn, Poole until Klay gets healthy? Poole better look a level better this summer.

Poole and Curry were +12 together.. how much better does Poole need to be? Being the best paired with Curry is at least worth exploring on some level

Definitely worth exploring. Also, a scenario where I'm underestimating Jordan Poole is a scenario I want to be wrong about. Just don't like the fact that, with all the assets and moves Myers could do this summer, he might resort to just starting Jordan Poole. This isn't so much not believing in Jordan Poole, who I have been bullish about for a while. Just a belief that a competent FO could get us a viable starter while continuing to let Jordan grow and experience success coming off the bench.

I dont know that there's a lot of alternatives.. for example, which players can we draft who will start at wing immediately? I think Moody, Kispert, Barnes.. and thats if you see Barnes as a 3 (I dont). Other than those guys, I dont think guys like Bouknight, Mitchell, Jalen Johnson, and those types are day 1 starters. Dont think there's any clearly better options in FA.. and while trades are possible, I dont know that we'd empty the war chest on a position that truly belongs to Klay

I think its pretty likely Poole starts the season with Curry, depending on how our draft goes. Its all depends on the draft. But I wont hate Myers if it happens, I'm kinda excited to see it after all.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#85 » by floppymoose » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:21 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

The G league was open for a month and Wiseman was out injured the first three weeks of it. I don't know how much Poole developed in a month, though he did seem to gain some confidence.

They had a 15 game season plus some post season games. I watched some of them. Nico and Poole developed some chemistry there that I don't think would have been possible in spot minutes with GS.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#86 » by Samurai » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Unfortunately Chriss got injured early in the season; even with Wiseman there were plenty of games that we just didn't have enough size. Without Wiseman (and Paschall who also missed games with injuries), we were starting guys like 6-6 JTA at center. Getting mugged on a regular basis tends to result in small guys sustaining further injuries. Coulda/woulda/shoulda signed another big when Chriss went down but I am confused as to how that is Wiseman's fault as well as the logic of why we would send him to Santa Cruz when we were already lacking bigs even with him. Please don't say that the answer was to give Smiley 20+ minutes/game as a rotation center.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#87 » by watch1958 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 pm

They should have signed some big, just to give them flexibility with JW. Would they have sent him down if healthy? I don’t know. They should have.

That’s a organizational issue they need to fix. They should create the expectation that rookies will spend time in Santa Cruz. That they aren’t being “sent down “.

I hope the NBA keeps some type of g-league bubble tournament this year. I think that event was way more interesting & enjoyable for the players than regular g-league stuff .
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#88 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 pm

Samurai wrote:

Unfortunately Chriss got injured early in the season; even with Wiseman there were plenty of games that we just didn't have enough size. Without Wiseman (and Paschall who also missed games with injuries), we were starting guys like 6-6 JTA at center. Getting mugged on a regular basis tends to result in small guys sustaining further injuries. Coulda/woulda/shoulda signed another big when Chriss went down but I am confused as to how that is Wiseman's fault as well as the logic of why we would send him to Santa Cruz when we were already lacking bigs even with him. Please don't say that the answer was to give Smiley 20+ minutes/game as a rotation center.

Yeah, I don't think we should underestimate how screwed up our center situation got when Chriss broke his leg.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#89 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:43 am

TJ can play with Steph and Poole ... it's small back court no doubt, but TJ is the best guard I can see that is close to likely to accept the TPMLE.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#90 » by Mob Byers » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:27 am

Scoots1994 wrote:TJ can play with Steph and Poole ... it's small back court no doubt, but TJ is the best guard I can see that is close to likely to accept the TPMLE.

Honestly, the more I think of the awful Lillard/Curry pairing, the less I even care about a guy like TJ.

Sure, seemed great on paper, but midget ball doesn't work. At this point I prefer a guy like James Ennis over TJ.

A lot of fans, including myself, have been overlooking the importance of size.

We've never reached the finals while playing any other guys around or shorter than Steph for more than 10 maybe 12 mpg (Ian Clark?)

We won with these rotations in the finals (15 mpg+ in the finals):
2015: Curry/Klay/Andre/Barnes/Green/Livingston/Bogut
2017: Curry/Klay/Andre/KD/Green/Livingston
2018: Curry/Klay/Andre(2 games)/KD/Green/Livingston/(Javale + JB combined 26 mpg)

Right now we have:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Green/Poole/Wiseman/Looney

We do need playmaking but we need it with size. Andre and Shaun were very important and hard to replace. TJ doesn't cut it. You need to put SIZE around Curry.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#91 » by Upperclass » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 am

Regardless of acquisitions, Poole will avg 18+ next season imo
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:58 am

Mob Byers wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:TJ can play with Steph and Poole ... it's small back court no doubt, but TJ is the best guard I can see that is close to likely to accept the TPMLE.

Honestly, the more I think of the awful Lillard/Curry pairing, the less I even care about a guy like TJ.

Sure, seemed great on paper, but midget ball doesn't work. At this point I prefer a guy like James Ennis over TJ.

We've never reached the finals while playing any other guys around or shorter than Steph for more than 10 maybe 12 mpg (Ian Clark?)

2018: Curry/Klay/Andre(2 games)/KD/Green/Livingston/(Javale + JB combined 26 mpg)

Right now we have:

We do need playmaking but we need it with size. Andre and Shaun were very important and hard to replace. TJ doesn't cut it. You need to put SIZE around Curry.

TJ is small, but he's also the best playmaker in free agency.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#93 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:42 am

Upperclass wrote:Regardless of acquisitions, Poole will avg 18+ next season imo

Minutes, points or assists?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#94 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:47 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Minutes, points or assists?

3pt attempts...
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#95 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:48 pm

if he's playing more than 18 minutes a game we had a bad offseason
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mob Byers
Rookie

Post#96 » by Mob Byers » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mob Byers wrote:

Right now we have:

TJ is small, but he's also the best playmaker in free agency.

Disagree, DeRozan is the best playmaker in free agency

That's a complete no go unless we play him 12-15 mpg MAX. In that case, money spent better elsewhere and we try to get a taller playmaker in the draft. No midget ball, we might as well trade Steph.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,106

Post#97 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:14 pm

18 is too much, but 17,8 I can see it.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#98 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:29 pm

I think the idea with TJ is that he subs Curry rather than playing alongside.
Mob Byers
Rookie

Post#99 » by Mob Byers » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:12 pm

floppymoose wrote:I think the idea with TJ is that he subs Curry rather than playing alongside.

Vet min, sure bring him in to fill that 15 mpg role.

But I don't think he has any interest in that, likely stays in Indiana
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:43 am

TJ can play some with Curry too. Depends on the matchup.

Return to Golden State Warriors