Re: Jordan Poole 

Post#101 » by Impuniti » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Is TJ a FA? Would he accept the min?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#102 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Impuniti wrote:Is TJ a FA? Would he accept the min?

FA...yes, and minimum (I'm guessing) no. MLE or a piece of it, maybe.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,187

Post#103 » by Impuniti » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Is TJ a FA? Would he accept the min?

FA...yes, and minimum (I'm guessing) no. MLE or a piece of it, maybe.

So TJ on MLE, Baze on vet min, Steph, Klay, Poole, and 1-2 young guys for the guard position?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#104 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Mob Byers wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I think the idea with TJ is that he subs Curry rather than playing alongside.

Vet min, sure bring him in to fill that 15 mpg role.

But I don't think he has any interest in that, likely stays in Indiana

Agree that he won't take the vet min, but not so sure he'll stay where he is. The Pacers are pushing up against the luxury tax, with only about 8 guys on guaranteed contracts. They have some tough decisions ahead and may not want to give TJ the raise he wants after a pretty good year. Someone will, though.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#105 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:14 pm

I would rather retain Bazemore at min and start if Klay is not ready. Baze did ok end of the season starting alongside Wiggins. Once Klay is back, Baze is a reliable SG/SF backup who knows our system. Klay will need to sit out back to backs / under maintanence.

The way Poole moves off the ball and plays, I see him more as a Steph backup than a "SG". I see Poole from the bench to keep our offensive system going when Steph sits. We have never had a backup guard who actually moves like Poole offensively.

I value continuity. We were crap early on last season because no one knew how to play with each other. Combine that with Oubre and Wiseman. Then the team gelled end of the season. We need to add more pieces and upgrade for sure, but keeping the core rotation guys from end of last season will mean a better start for the upcoming season.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#106 » by TB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:I would rather retain Bazemore at min and start if Klay is not ready. Baze did ok end of the season starting alongside Wiggins. Once Klay is back, Baze is a reliable SG/SF backup who knows our system. Klay will need to sit out back to backs / under maintanence.

The way Poole moves off the ball and plays, I see him more as a Steph backup than a "SG". I see Poole from the bench to keep our offensive system going when Steph sits. We have never had a backup guard who actually moves like Poole offensively.

I value continuity. We were crap early on last season because no one knew how to play with each other. Combine that with Oubre and Wiseman. Then the team gelled end of the season. We need to add more pieces and upgrade for sure, but keeping the core rotation guys from end of last season will mean a better start for the upcoming season.

While I completely agree that we need Poole off the bench because we don't have any other bench scoring, there is no doubt that Poole is fantastic as a SG next to Steph.

When on the court together, they were a +17 net rating, playing over 220 minutes together. Baze was a +8 next to Steph, in over 800 minutes, which is still fantastic.

One might logically assume thats because Steph/Baze maybe had more minutes next to ratings killers Oubre and Wiseman, but here are the w/Steph numbers with those players off the floor:

Steph w/ Baze w/o oubre and wiseman: +12
Steph w/ Poole w/o Oubre and Wiseman: +22

So again, the highest rating next to Steph out of the whole roster, with at least a decent sample size (obviously could use more) was Poole.

If you shoot okay, defend okay, and just always know where #30 is.... you will thrive in the Warriors system. It's why Poole, Lee, Baze, JTA, Looney, Mulder etc all look great playing alongside Steph. They just buy in and understand the role. It's also why Oubre and Wiseman looked so bad (wiseman understandably as a rookie). Difference with Poole is he adds the additional dynamic of being able to also get his own playmaking going if Steph isn't open.. which i'm guessing is why he jumps ahead of everyone else in +/-.
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#107 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:40 pm

TB wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:I would rather retain Bazemore at min and start if Klay is not ready. Baze did ok end of the season starting alongside Wiggins. Once Klay is back, Baze is a reliable SG/SF backup who knows our system. Klay will need to sit out back to backs / under maintanence.

While I completely agree that we need Poole off the bench because we don't have any other bench scoring, there is no doubt that Poole is fantastic as a SG next to Steph.

When on the court together, they were a +17 net rating, playing over 220 minutes together. Baze was a +8 next to Steph, in over 800 minutes, which is still fantastic.

One might logically assume thats because Steph/Baze maybe had more minutes next to ratings killers Oubre and Wiseman, but here are the w/Steph numbers with those players off the floor:

So again, the highest rating next to Steph out of the whole roster, with at least a decent sample size (obviously could use more) was Poole.

If you shoot okay, defend okay, and just always know where #30 is.... you will thrive in the Warriors system. It's why Poole, Lee, Baze, JTA, Looney, Mulder etc all look great playing alongside Steph. They just buy in and understand the role. It's also why Oubre and Wiseman looked so bad (wiseman understandably as a rookie). Difference with Poole is he adds the additional dynamic of being able to also get his own playmaking going if Steph isn't open.. which i'm guessing is why he jumps ahead of everyone else in +/-.

All good points. Which site do you use for these stats screens btw? I used to go to a free one but it stopped working since 1-2 seasons ago.

Any stats on Poole's TS% with w/o Steph? Pre-AS break and post-AS break?

Steph usually plays close to the full 1st quarter nowadays. Baze cannot play that many minutes and he is probably more useful as an extra glue guy next to Steph, than be with the bench.

Maybe a good solution is to bring Poole off the bench in the 1st quarter to play with Steph, and then bridge to the 2nd quarter until Steph returns?

I am not against starting Poole if Klay needs some extra time off. Just want to figure out how the bench doesn't choke up a 5-10 point lead whenever Steph sits.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#108 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:59 pm

John Hollinger of The Athletic has an article breaking down all of the SF free agents. He has Bazemore as a tier 3, mid-level, guy and his formula projects him getting over $8M. Without Bird rights, he thinks it is highly unlikely that Baze will return to the Dubs since we'd have to use the taxpayer MLE to make a competitive offer. I wouldn't mind having Baze back but if he gets a mid-level offer he's not going to be willing to take the minimum to come back to the Bay.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#109 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Baze was inconsistent but fine. I'd like to find a better option but it will probably be Baze.

Still need to find a big who can shoot (some have suggested Chriss)
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#110 » by GunnerWRX » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:37 am

Samurai wrote:

John Hollinger of The Athletic has an article breaking down all of the SF free agents. He has Bazemore as a tier 3, mid-level, guy and his formula projects him getting over $8M. Without Bird rights, he thinks it is highly unlikely that Baze will return to the Dubs since we'd have to use the taxpayer MLE to make a competitive offer. I wouldn't mind having Baze back but if he gets a mid-level offer he's not going to be willing to take the minimum to come back to the Bay.

I read the same article. Baze averaged 10 pts on 38% with the Kings too. So screw Hollinger. :lol:

No one paid him MLE/TMLE last summer, and I doubt anyone will give him a multi year MLE/TMLE deal this summer. I think Baze is in a tough spot because losing teams won't pay him MLE, and winning teams use the MLE for better (i.e. pay-cut) players.

We paid him 8-yr vet min of $2.3m last season, and the cap/tax hit was only $1.6m because it was a vet deal. A true min deal helps us because we are deep in the tax.

He did mention his wife/gf hates moving instead of another 1-yr deal, so the 9-yr vet min of $2.4m from us probably won't cut it this summer.

We might need to give him the 20% raise and a 2-yr deal i.e. $2.78m y1 and $2.92m y2 = $5.7m/2. Sort of like the Marc Gasol contract. We will need to bite the bullet on the tax.

Maybe Steph can hook Baze up on his ventures or some Under Armour shares to make it up.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#111 » by TB » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:54 am

GunnerWRX wrote:
TB wrote:

All good points. Which site do you use for these stats screens btw? I used to go to a free one but it stopped working since 1-2 seasons ago.

Any stats on Poole's TS% with w/o Steph? Pre-AS break and post-AS break?

Steph usually plays close to the full 1st quarter nowadays. Baze cannot play that many minutes and he is probably more useful as an extra glue guy next to Steph, than be with the bench.

Maybe a good solution is to bring Poole off the bench in the 1st quarter to play with Steph, and then bridge to the 2nd quarter until Steph returns?

I am not against starting Poole if Klay needs some extra time off. Just want to figure out how the bench doesn't choke up a 5-10 point lead whenever Steph sits.

I've been using: https://www.fantasylabs.com/nba/on-off/

I think its pretty accurate and up-to-date from what I can tell. Can't see a way to break this down with splits though.

So i'm seeing Poole TS as:

Total- 58.1
With Steph- 57.6
without Steph- 58.3

So not much of a change as far as Poole's scoring efficiency. The big difference is simply pace and offensive rating. Makes sense, adding in Curry the obvious bonus, and having a player like Poole at least makes the defense have to respect him.

I think your solution is probably the perfect one. Make sure Steph is getting some run with Poole, but also make sure our backup unit (aka non steph minutes) isn't without Wiggins or Poole or Klay or some sort of lineup that can score a bit.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#112 » by Samurai » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:00 am

GunnerWRX wrote:
Samurai wrote:

I read the same article. Baze averaged 10 pts on 38% with the Kings too. So screw Hollinger. :lol:

Well his time with the Kings was a very small 25 game sample size and he shot 33% for the Blazers in 43 games before going to Sac. 33% will only land you a minimum deal. He did shoot 41% from deep for us last year in 67 games (kept thinking that had to be a typo - no way was he that good a shooter!!). Only takes one odd GM to think he really is a 40% guy and offer him mid-level money.
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#113 » by NeoWarriors » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:53 am

Young Bucket lit it up at Jamal Crawford's Pro-Am (The Crawsover)

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,372

Post#114 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:30 am

NeoWarriors wrote:Young Bucket lit it up at Jamal Crawford's Pro-Am (The Crawsover)

https://youtu.be/WILzZtw4qo4

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app

Nice one, man! Appreciate it.

I'll embed the video for others to see:

I was under the impression that he got taller and added some muscle. Excited for Atkinson working with him.

Hopefully we don't trade him and he has another leap in production.

Go Jordan, prove me wrong once again.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#115 » by Quazza » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:57 am

Love that he hit the Steph shimmy after the logo make haha
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#116 » by mos_def » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:46 am

He is third tallest player on the court. He felt like LeBron
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#117 » by WESCO » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:14 pm

I really hope JP is the youngster on the squad that relates to our new rookies and teaches them his work ethic.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#118 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 pm

Dude looks more built. I hope he can maintain that physique since it'll help him. I was impressed how Steph was able to maintain his built throughout the season. Did we get new nutritionists and trainers?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#119 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:38 pm

IF JP is for real...man....what a steal.

I think another poster brought this up but having Poole START at shooting guard, moving Klay to SF ....not a bad option depending on what we do with Wiggins.

I really doubted Poole....way wrong.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#120 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 pm

Warriors who can play some minutes at 2 and/or 3 is a long list Curry, Poole, Klay, Moody, Wiggins, Kuminga, Lee, Baze?

An area that seems so weak last year now looks MUCH stronger.

Return to Golden State Warriors