In the Last 20 Years, Which Champion Would Lose to '21 Bucks?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

In the Last 20 Years, Which Champion Would Lose to '21 Bucks?

'03 Spurs
2%
'04 Pistons
5%
'06 Heat
20%
'07 Spurs
2%
'11 Mavs
15%
'19 Raptors
20%
Nobody
35%

Total votes: 322

Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,002

Re: In the Last 20 Years, Which Champion Would Lose to '21 Bucks? 

Post#81 » by Loneshot » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am

I voted the Mavs. Still surprised they won til this day. It would probably be a 7 game series, but I can definitely see Lopez, Porter, and Giannis giving the Mavs front court some matchup issues.
rtiff68
Veteran
And1: 3,709

Post#82 » by rtiff68 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am

The ‘17 Warriors, ‘01 Lakers, ‘96 Bulls, ‘87 Lakers, and ‘86 Celtics.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#83 » by TheRealKaboom » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 am

2004 Pistons. They beat a hobbled Lakers team and were never heard from again.

EDIT: Except on GB.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,137

Post#84 » by Heat3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
Heat3 wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
The Bucks would destroy them in transition. Also, their team was designed to protect the rim. Zo, Shaq, and Haslem would be run and shot off the floor.

Jrue would be the perfect defender against Wade. MIL is also essentially league best defending the paint and not fouling. They would be a terrible matchup for that MIA team.

If Haslem didn’t get “run and shot” off the floor by Dirk, I wouldn’t expect him to be by lesser players.

As for Jrue being the “perfect” Wade defender…come on. Reminds me of Mike Wilbon saying Rip Hamilton was the “Wade stopper”. Jrue is 3-22 all time vs Wade and two of those wins was when Wade was damn near 37 years old :lol:

https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/jrue_holiday_vs_dwyane_wade.htm

-The Bucks shoot way more 3's than that DAL team. DAL didn't even shoot 20/game in the Finals.

-According to your own stats, Jrue held Wade to a 23.5 avg. If Wade averages 23.5 in this series, it is 4 straight Bucks blowouts.

Oh brother….how much points do you think Wade should score when:

1. The Heat are winning nearly every game so Wade is probably sitting a good part of the 4th
2. Wade is the second option to Lebron James

Old ass Wade was still dropping 18 and 19 on him. But he will shut down 2006 Wade who the pistons couldn’t stop. Ok man. Live in fantasy land.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,804

Post#85 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Congratulations to the Bucks on a well earned title.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#86 » by OdomFan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 pm

I don't think the 2020 Lakers would have a easy time beating this Buck team as some may think. They had trouble beating a Miami Heat team that had injuries of it's own, and Butler absolutely came to play. Giannis would more than likely play just as well in such a series, and I can't imagine Middleton and Holiday not getting there's also. I say Bucks win that in 6 also. Possibly the same fashion.

The 2019 Raptors would be quite a challenge that could go either way in 7 games. 6 at the least if you ask me.

2018 Warriors probably win, but not in a sweep. I'd say that goes 6 games too. However there's a chance that the Bucks can pull it off. Giannis would have to guard KD well all series long, and either Holiday or Middleton would have to do well enough to keep Curry from going off too crazy with 3's. They have good enough shooters to keep the outside games even enough to make it interesting.

2017 Same as above

2016 - Bucks beat the Cavs in 6 at the most then go on to take the Warriors imo. Without KD the Bucks chances increase even higher here imo.

2015 - Bucks in 6. Curry will bring it hard but I think the Bucks have a good enough roster to match what the Splash Brothers will bring. Draymond will be challenging for Giannis but not challenging enough to get the W imo.

2014 - Spurs win for sure, but it be fun to watch.

2013 - I think the Bucks have a great shot against Miami but it can go either way. Bosh or nobody else wouldn't be much of a matchup against Giannis, and Middleton, Jrue should do ok against aging Wade. The Heats best shot would be to have Lebron take on Giannis and let Bosh deal with the other Bucks bigs. If the Bucks win then the Spurs would too much imo. I think they get the repeat in this scenario.

2012 - Same as above as far as the matchup against Miami, but as far as the matchup with the Thunder goes. I Say Bucks in 6.

2011 - Now this would be a hell of a game right here. Determined Dirk vs Determined Giannis. That can go either way and I say it comes down to 7 games. Watching older Kidd take on Holiday is also a fun thought. As is Middleton going toe to toe with Terry and the other shooters on the Mavs that year. It be fun but I say Bucks win thanks to youth on their side.

2010 - I say Lakers pull it off because of their bigs advantage of Odom, Gasol and Bynum, plus Kobe absolutely goes off a bit too much. If the Bucks try to switch GIannis onto Kobe that's only going to end badly every time so yeah. The Bucks have no shot against them. The Eastern Conference Finals against Boston is also fun, but I say the Bucks beat them that year.

2009 - Firstly the match up against Dwight and Giannis would be a damn fun on on the inside, and the two teams have solid enough outsider shooters that should take that one to 7 games. In the end tho I say the Bucks win, but then they go on to lose to the Lakers.

2008 - I have to go with Boston in this one. It's KG's best year in a Celtic Uniform, and well he's tough enough to make things very difficult for 2021 Giannis. Rondo, Pierce and Allen also prove to be a bit too much for the rest of the team however Holiday vs Rondo will be fun, and Middleton trying to out shoot Ray will also be entertaining.

2007 - I say the Spurs take this one pretty comfortably. They were simply on another level as an overall unit. Duncan should do well enough to make things difficult for Giannis in the inside. So the Bucks would need him to try to sneak in more outside shots, which he still isn't very consistent at so I doubt that would do much. Also Bucks absolutely crush the 2007 Cavs and I'd love to watch that.

2006 - Hmm. Wade will still be tough but I don't think he can pull this one off against this Bucks roster. I say Bucks in 5 or 6. Miami only has a chance if Shaq comes out there and destroys which is possible enough to be the reason why either team wins in 6. I can't imagine a game 7 happening.

2005 - Same as 2007. If the Bucks even get pass the Pistons that year they really don't have much on the Spurs of that era imo.

2004 - Pistons absolutely win. Why? Defense. I say it goes 6 games. Maybe 7 but I'm going to say 6. The Pistons have too much of an advantage at being able to prevent the Bucks offense from going too crazy on them. Then they'd get there's on their end.

2003 - I'd say the Bucks have their best shot against a Spurs team this time around because of aging Robinsons disadvantage. Duncan vs Giannis is just as fun as the years above but the Bucks would have too many experienced players for that not fully prepared Spurs team to be able to handle.

2002 - Lakers in 5 at the most. Giannis would make things interesting against prime Shaq but not enough. The best chance the Bucks have is to stop Kobe primarily from feeding the ball into the inside for Shaq, but that wasn't easy for anyone to do back then either. The Bucks vs the 02 Nets would also be a fun ECF.

2001 - Bucks crush the 76ers in the ECF then go on to lose to the Lakers for the same reasons as 2002.

2000 - Outside of the 20 year gap but I don't care. Bucks destroy the aging Pacers then go on to lose to that hungry Laker team in about 5 games. 6 If the Bucks are lucky.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,577

Post#87 » by Kingdibs19 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:57 pm

BigDan245 wrote:Its sort of weird how people try to discredit the Bucks because of injuries. They beat Kevin Durant...Who is the best player LeBron has beaten to make a finals? Paul George? James Harden? Old KG?

Huh? In the finals alone:
KD, Westbrook & Durant
Duncan & Kawhi
Curry & Klay
Butler (weakest one)
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#88 » by LesGrossman » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:00 pm

IgorK wrote:Why do you need to take away from the Bucks' championship this year? I'm boycotting this poll and thread.

I totally agree. Exceptionally salty and unneccessary thread.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Caped Crusader
Veteran
And1: 3,855

Post#89 » by Caped Crusader » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:01 pm

vinnymate wrote:The Raptors is an easy comparison, because the bucks actually played them.

Bucks were up 2-0 and an overtime away from 3-0.

I'm sure 2021 version of Giannis would of found some counters to the raptors defense, his clearly not the same player as he was back then.

They still had Bledsoe on the team back then. As long as Bud is able to make some adjustments as he did these playoffs, it would be a different story.

They're also easier to compare because they're the most recent champions on this list so it's more fresh in mind. This version of Giannis is better as is Middleton however that 2019 team still had a decent supporting cast. Despite Giannis' improvements, that version of the Bucks was more dangerous. Yes, they had Bledsoe but they also had Brogdon playing a considerable role. Nurse would have also countered and the Raptors would also have home court in a series, so you have to consider that as well. It would have been a different series and Bucks are unlikely to go up 2-0 to steal the first two games in Toronto.

The Raptors were also shooting hot from 3 and the Bucks didn't exactly have an answer to that. The whole basis of your argument is on the Raptors having played this Bucks team when this iteration is completely different, just like how you wouldn't compare the 2020 version. The only legs your argument has is that 2021 Giannis may have had counters.

crows2 wrote:
kleatius_01 wrote:Someone give me the case against 19 raptors, I don't see it. With kawhi, gasol, siakim + lowry and van vleet helping we had the best Giannis defensive schemes of any team on this list.

A physically and mentally stronger ‘21 Bucks team may not have blown a 2-0 lead to the Raps like they did in 2019.

Well if you're to consider that, there's other variables you'd have to change like the Raptors having home court instead of the Bucks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
WildArkieBoy75
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#90 » by WildArkieBoy75 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:14 pm

Loneshot wrote:I voted the Mavs. Still surprised they won til this day. It would probably be a 7 game series, but I can definitely see Lopez, Porter, and Giannis giving the Mavs front court some matchup issues.

still bitter cause the 2011 Mavs swept the 2010 NBA champion Kobe-led Lakers 4-0?
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#91 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Hard to predict since we've seen underdogs win but...

Not likely at all:
00, 01 and 02 Lakers
14 Spurs
16 Cleveland
17, 18 Warriors
20 Lakers
09, 10 Lakers

Difficult but they match up well:
12, 13 Heat

Don't have matchup advantage but might do it:
03 Spurs, 04 Pistons, 05, 07 Spurs, 11 Dallas, 15 Warriors, 19 Raptors (terrible matchup with the Raps... but they might slow em down more than they did and Giannis might be better prepared now).

I believe they definitely win the ring
06 Heat
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#92 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:36 pm

TheRealKaboom wrote:2004 Pistons. They beat a hobbled Lakers team and were never heard from again.

Yeah. They were one shot away from repeating in 05. They went to the conference finals from 03 to 08. Definitely not a 1 year thing.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#93 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:37 pm

I’d say all of those except for the ‘07 Spurs. The Bucks obviously weren’t on the level of the superteam Warriors or anything but they were still a very good team that should be able to beat any of the fluky champions. The Bucks almost beat Toronto in 2019 and that was without Holiday who would have been a nightmare matchup for Lowry.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#94 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Heat3 wrote:People picking 2006 Heat??

Do you guys know where Giannis operates on the floor? Do you know that 2006 Heat had Shaq and Mourning down there? The Bucks won’t bully that team. The Heat also had Flash DWade. Not old man Wade.

I won’t argue that it is inconceivable. But the types of rules that are enforced will have a lot to do with the outcome.

Even in that time they were starting to give Shaq fouls that he wouldn’t get called for in his Laker days. So maybe more modern rules benefits the Bucks. But if it’s 2006 rules and before then it is the Heat.

That is the problem with these types of comparisons. They are different eras and things have changed quite a bit.

The Heat outside Wade and Shaq lacked firepower. Sure Shaq is gonna have a good time but I can't see Wade destroying a team that has PJ, Giannis, Holiday and Middleton. They are a great defensive team.

They don't have a Shaq stopper but Shaq in 06 was great but not unbeatable.

No one is saying the Heat don't have the potential to slow the Bucks down, but overall I just think the Bucks stop the Heat more than they stop them.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#95 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 pm

any title now that we have multiple buddyball contenders should be given the most weight of any era. never before have we seen multiple 1st and 2nd team all nba players giving up their own teams to be roleplayers on another. these same teams stack up buyout players on minimums in season and ring chasing vets worth far more in offseasons that in previous eras never would have considered moves like this. older players literally are embarrassed for a reason and it has all to do with the competitive advantage these teams have as the players clip their own nuts for that ring

these unique accumulations of nba talent like the nets, lakers, and clippers with the top players in the game joining in allstar game fashion to legacy hunt put unprecedented barriers in front of teams that build traditionally. any team that can somehow overcome that hurdle and get a ring should have massive street cred among casual and serious fans alike
rand
Starter
And1: 3,115

Post#96 » by rand » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:21 pm

TheRealKaboom wrote:2004 Pistons. They beat a hobbled Lakers team and were never heard from again.

Never heard from again? They went back the Finals the next year and pushed the Spurs to 7 games! Were it not for Horry's OT game-winner in Game 5 the Pistons probably repeat. Detroit went on to make the ECF the next three seasons.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#97 » by Bruin » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:24 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:I’d say all of those except for the ‘07 Spurs. The Bucks obviously weren’t on the level of the superteam Warriors or anything but they were still a very good team that should be able to beat any of the fluky champions. The Bucks almost beat Toronto in 2019 and that was without Holiday who would have been a nightmare matchup for Lowry.

But with Brogdon+Bledsoe. Only argument is that Giannis and Khris have grown since then but at the same time Raptors were way better equipped than the Suns to defend Giannis
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#98 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:30 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:I’d say all of those except for the ‘07 Spurs. The Bucks obviously weren’t on the level of the superteam Warriors or anything but they were still a very good team that should be able to beat any of the fluky champions. The Bucks almost beat Toronto in 2019 and that was without Holiday who would have been a nightmare matchup for Lowry.

But with Brogdon+Bledsoe. Only argument is that Giannis and Khris have grown since then but at the same time Raptors were way better equipped than the Suns to defend Giannis

top of the paint walls dont work on giannis anymore.

1. he rarely even plays out of that spot
2. when he does hes far more willing to trust his teammates with quicker passing
3. we play a guy behind the wall now that we never did before

torontos "wall" and miamis "wall" would be useless. use this years miami series as exhibit A as to why. i believe a series against 2018 toronto would more like our 2021 series against miami if given a 2nd chance. they tried the same deal less than a year later and we devastated it with our new offensive approach
rand
Starter
And1: 3,115

Post#99 » by rand » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:31 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:any title now that we have multiple buddyball contenders should be given the most weight of any era. never before have we seen multiple 1st and 2nd team all nba players giving up their own teams to be roleplayers on another. these same teams stack up buyout players on minimums in season and ring chasing vets worth far more in offseasons that in previous eras never would have considered moves like this as "good for their careers".

these unique accumulations of nba talent like the nets, lakers, and clippers with the top players in the game joining in allstar game fashion to legacy hunt put unprecedented barriers in front of teams that build traditionally. any team that can somehow overcome that hurdle and get a ring should have massive street cred among casual and serious fans alike

That makes no sense because Milwaukee didn't face any teams that were stacked like this. If healthy the Nets would have qualified but they weren't healthy, getting only 3.5 games from Kyrie in the series and 4 games from a severely hobbled Harden.

Same is true with the Lakers last season. No team they faced had multiple All-NBA selections except Houston with a hobbled Westbrook. In fact they ran through one of the weaker sets of opponents for any title team of the last decade.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#100 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm

this bitter thread by a salty Lakers' fan makes this Bucks title all the more sweet. I feel bad for all of the classy Lakers' fans out there.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to The General Board