Giannis vs KD: who do you rank higher all time now?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

who do you rank higher all time?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:14 pm

Giannis
35%
KD
65%

Total votes: 160

ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Re: Giannis vs KD: who do you rank higher all time now? 

Post#21 » by ken6199 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Another ranking thread right off a finals series.
Another ranking thread on players at different stages of their career.
Another piece of hot garbage on general board.
For **** sake.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,616

Post#22 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:04 pm

KD has been around for a long time now so he wins this currently but Giannis’ ring has a lot more value than any rings KD has
Educator
Junior
And1: 405

Post#23 » by Educator » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 pm

What makes you think KD's Finals MVP's have lower value than Giannis's Finals MVP?

Sure, KD played on a historically stacked team, but he also defeated LeBron twice. Isn't that more valuable than defeating a Phoenix team in which nobody actually believes was the 2nd best team in the NBA?

I'm not saying KD played better than Giannis did in the Finals. Giannis's performance was historic, but I don't see how the value of the MVP's is less.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#24 » by step3profit » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:25 pm

What do you rank higher, super mario brothers or sonic the hedgehog?

What do you rank higher, mountains or rivers?

This **** is stupid.
Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Post#25 » by Ugalde » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:29 pm

giannis and it’s not close. put giannis on those warriors and they break the league even worse.
politics
to many 3s
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#26 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:30 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:I respect Giannis' accomplishments more than KD even if KD is still the better offensive closer/shooter--this is the only thing he has on Giannis now though, IMO. Everything else is now perception and reputational arguments for KD and people still getting used to the idea that Giannis' has officially surpassed him in every other important facet of the game.

Yeah thats why Giannis himself said KD was better :lol:
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#27 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 pm

SecondTake wrote:Giannis
2 x MVP
1 x DPOY
1 x championship (high value)
1 x FMVP

KD
1 x MVP
2 x championship (lower value)
2 x FMVP (lower value)

Personally I think Giannis resume is more impressive now. His one ring I believe is higher value than Kd's two - the best way to illustrate why is ask yourself if replacing KD with current Giannis on those GSW teams still results in two rings? I think the answer is it most certainly does.

Who do you rank higher all time right now?

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app

Giannis already has more impressive resume even considering KD's fake rings its not even close.
KD probably doesnt win any rings and no fmvp as a result he achieved nothing similar to karl malone.
Giannis is very rare in that he is the best offense/defensive player which doesnt exist anymore. Even if Giannis retired now and KD ringchased to 40, i dont see him surpassing his legacy at all.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#28 » by hege53190 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
SecondTake wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Sorry but this is silly. This one is easily KD.
How though? Giannis has more hardware. Dpoy, an mvp and a high value ring as a solo act in a small market.

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app

"High value ring"

That term instantly makes this whole discussion silly. That's a super, duper subjective argument.

And you say it's a "high value ring" like nobody was injured during this playoffs. Let me remind you and everyone, here's the list of injured stars.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

WOW HIGH VALUE RING!

Also known as best player on the team. When you are the #2 option on your team the ring value goes down.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#29 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Educator wrote:What makes you think KD's Finals MVP's have lower value than Giannis's Finals MVP?

Sure, KD played on a historically stacked team, but he also defeated LeBron twice. Isn't that more valuable than defeating a Phoenix team in which nobody actually believes was the 2nd best team in the NBA?

I'm not saying KD played better than Giannis did in the Finals. Giannis's performance was historic, but I don't see how the value of the MVP's is less.

KD actually had a chance to redeem himself when two better players were knocked out. Instead he gave into pressure and choked again getting reverse swept against Giannis. Proves hes useless as a 1 man team as already showcased in a deep nets team, olympics. Numbers of fmvps doesnt matter he could have 10 and its still worthless playing in goat dynasty caliber teams. KD has great raw stats in points and whole other categories but the fact that he is only 1mvp shows he is empty stat padding guy.

Not everyone can become like giannis tho. Steph another all time high candidate choked and couldnt get into playoffs in another relatively stacked team thats probably the best defensive team. Not all MVPs are equal since they are littered every yr. Steph, KD these guys are low tier ones that would have been random HOF if not for superteams. Giannis/Dirk these guys are easily tier above due to historic run even if its only once.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Post#30 » by Profound23 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Giannis said Kevin Durant is still the best in the world.

Durant said he has never seen anyone like Giannis.

Can we not compare and just appreciate greatness? It's like comparing Hakeem to Dirk or Duncan to Bird.

You can point out the flaws in their games, or how one player won a title vs how the other player won a title....etc. Who cares? They are both one of the best NBA players of all-time.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#31 » by hege53190 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:I respect Giannis' accomplishments more than KD even if KD is still the better offensive closer/shooter--this is the only thing he has on Giannis now though, IMO. Everything else is now perception and reputational arguments for KD and people still getting used to the idea that Giannis' has officially surpassed him in every other important facet of the game.

Unlike most of the NBA Giannis is humble. Just because he said it out loud doesn’t mean he believes it. And you shouldn’t either because it is not true.
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,897

Post#32 » by Kobe187 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 pm

KD all time, he’s done more, but also has been in the league longer.

LeBron top 5
KD/Curry top 20
Leonard/Giannis top 25
Harden/Paul top 30
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#33 » by thebigbird » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm

Neither KD’s rings nor Giannis’s ring are meaningful to me so I vote KD because I think he’s the better player.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,254

Post#34 » by Lunartic » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm

Durant is higher on the all time list so far.

Durant's "rings" are some of the lowest value rings in the game

Gianni's ring is of solid value but we need to realize that he got incredibly lucky with injuries to literally every team. The Suns were the third maybe 4th best team in the West. Lakers/Clippers/Nuggets all likely would have beaten then if they weren't missing star players. The Bucks are the second best team in the East, behind a healthy Nets team. Giannis did put up an ATG performance and only had one reliable offensive option in Middleton.

Luck is part of the game of course but when evaluating players on the all time list, it's important to keep in context in mind. As far as recent playoff runs, the 2019 Raptors run and the 2016 Cavs runs were both superior.
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 480

Post#35 » by SeanieWard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:52 pm

It's closer than people would think but I'll still give KD the edge

I'd throw in his 4 scoring titles. Only MJ and Wilt Chamberlain have more

Giannis can pass him up if he continues to improve and add to his resume
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#36 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Second take keeping up the worst take stuff. It's KD and it's not debatable by any reasonable measure of all time ranking.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#37 » by vege » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Only one of them is a champion, the other just joined a super, so the answer is obvious and it's not even close.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#38 » by SecondTake » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Educator wrote:What makes you think KD's Finals MVP's have lower value than Giannis's Finals MVP?

KD was on a team that couldnt lose.. Literally the best team of all time. So beating Lebron is not an accomplishment. It's like me joining a high school NBA team and beating the U-10 school team. I'm not going to puff my chest about it. It's about the journey not just the result. What does your championship prove about you? Kd did not prove anything about overcoming obstacles or adversity. About being able to lead a team. About being able to overcome as an underdog. He only proved that he could win rings with the greatest season of all time that already won a championship without him.
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#39 » by SecondTake » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Before he won a ring though. That's a big piece of context you forgot to mention.
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#40 » by SecondTake » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:28 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
KD objectively has more hardware. I get that a lot of you want to believe that KD's championships don't count because he joined a great team, but they do. If we go down this path of comparing titles and only the "really difficult" ones count as a championship we'd get to the point where only guys like Dirk in 2011 have a championship and no other title in NBA history has ever been determined... That seems a bit extreme.

This was arguably the single best chip in the last 20 years -- the journey matters if we are talking legacies. Otherwise, we would be talking Kostas Antetokounmpo > Giannis before this year.

Yeah that's why you don't ignore context. Comparing Giannis's win this year to KD's championships on the Warriors isn't evidence on its own that Giannis is a better player than KD because he had less help winning. The competition you went up against matters and how Giannis and KD performed on the way to those championships matter as well.

Ignoring context would be ignoring KD winning 2 titles on teams where he literally could not lose, and saying it is of the same value as that of other titles. That team won a title without him, and was the best NBA team at 73-9 in history. You're being disingenuous if you ignore context. You dont need to nitpick every title, but I think it's pretty clear that those two titles in GS are not the same as 95% of other titles in history, save the 60s.

Return to The General Board