bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Re: 2021-22 Season/Offseason Speculation 

Post#241 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:44 pm

saintEscaton wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
pj0tr wrote:Nerlens Noel as a backup for Ayton would be perfect for this team IMO.

This is the best option I've seen. If we could split mid level on him and a backup guard that would be ideal.

Hell yeah! I'm always on Team Nerlens. The Eraser is welcome here anytime! We should have drafted him instead of Len

Well if we did we McD would have probably given him the max. Though maybe he then drafts Luka.

Or benched him for Chandler like he did Len and pissed him off.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#242 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
King4Day wrote:Question:

IF we could convince Kawhi to come here, what would it take since we can't sign him outright?

I know Leonard wants to be close to home, but so did Paul and he is making it work in Phoenix, which is closer to San Diego than teams like Miami and Dallas.

If he told the Clips he's not returning, I wonder if a deal surrounding bridges, Dario, and other salary matchers could be done.
Would anyone do that?

I think he's gonna be out till the playoffs at the earliest. In fact he's 1 of the main reasons why I think the west is still open. The Clips are a pg13 injury away from the lotto.

It'll be us, Denver(if they get Murray back) and LAL battling for the #1 seed all season. Don't think we need the Kawhi stress. Let the Clippers deal with him, his supermax deal and Uncle Dennis.

Warriors will be in the hunt, and not sure why people count out Utah. They were on fire this year. Mitchell was absurd in the playoffs. They were the best team...that unfortunately has guard injuries in the playoffs.

Utah should be tougher than Denver..more depth..solid starting 5 and Clarkson. I don't know about Kawhi, but it almost sucks if he is out but comes back for the playoffs and we get the 2 seed and they get the 7th...we don't need that again.

Let's wait and see what the Dubs do with their picks. If they bring in 2 rookies to play with a gimpy Klay and aging Draymond... I'll take my chances. Utah is gonna lose Conley I think and he's a huge part of what they do. They'll be there as well but when your highest paid player is made unusable in the playoffs well then what what are you?

Denver, I'm basing on Murray returning to normal by the ASB. If so, I like that team-a lot.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#243 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:47 pm

darealjuice wrote:Not a lot of guard options for MLE/minimum this year. Reggie Jackson, TJ McConnell, Patty Mills, Alex Caruso, Austin Rivers, and Kent Bazemore are the only ones that make much sense to me.

I'd look the Montrezl Harrell, JaMychal Green, Nic Batum, Robin Lopez, Daniel Theis, Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes, JaVale McGee, Dwight Howard out of the forward/big man pool. Don't think we'll have the money for someone like Kelly Olynyk, Otto Porter Jr., or Will Barton.

Who even knows if Sarver will be willing to use the MLE this year if we're dishing extensions out to Ayton and Mikal though. I'd like to think we'll pull out all the stops for next year, since CP3 isn't getting any younger and we won't have these rookie contracts forever, but we'll see what happens.

Holmes would be best but will be too expensive.

Most of those are good options.

Reggie would be nice, but people do need to remember he averaged like 10 and 3 this year. He was bad for years...anyway, I think he's be good here but will be too expensive.

McConnell would be nice but would want primary backup. Only pursue him if lose Payne.

The guy I am really curious about is Otto Porter. He was awesome. What happened? Do the Bulls (or did they) destroy players somehow? Does he have a resurgence in him? If so...if he could get back even close to what he was and is likely very affordable for a MLE type deal, he would be a perfect guy at the 4.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#244 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
I think he's gonna be out till the playoffs at the earliest. In fact he's 1 of the main reasons why I think the west is still open. The Clips are a pg13 injury away from the lotto.

It'll be us, Denver(if they get Murray back) and LAL battling for the #1 seed all season. Don't think we need the Kawhi stress. Let the Clippers deal with him, his supermax deal and Uncle Dennis.

Warriors will be in the hunt, and not sure why people count out Utah. They were on fire this year. Mitchell was absurd in the playoffs. They were the best team...that unfortunately has guard injuries in the playoffs.

Utah should be tougher than Denver..more depth..solid starting 5 and Clarkson. I don't know about Kawhi, but it almost sucks if he is out but comes back for the playoffs and we get the 2 seed and they get the 7th...we don't need that again.

Let's wait and see what the Dubs do with their picks. If they bring in 2 rookies to play with a gimpy Klay and aging Draymond... I'll take my chances. Utah is gonna lose Conley I think and he's a huge part of what they do. They'll be there as well but when your highest paid player is made unusable in the playoffs well then what what are you?

Denver, I'm basing on Murray returning to normal by the ASB. If so, I like that team-a lot.

Why is Utah going to lose Conley? He was great this year...an all star.

Who knows if Klay is gimpy?

They have tons of options. Even just a Curry/Klay/Draymond core is elite as we've seen. They can package their picks and/or Wiseman. Wiggins has vastly improved and likely would more with Klay attracting defensive attention.

They nearly beat the Lakers WITH LeBron and AD without Klay or Oubre.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#245 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:51 pm

enigmatics wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I think he's gonna be out till the playoffs at the earliest. In fact he's 1 of the main reasons why I think the west is still open. The Clips are a pg13 injury away from the lotto.

You're really not gonna factor or pay any mind to whichever team nets Dame (if they're in the West, ex. Dallas) or the dubs? I think that would be naive.

I think (IF) he's traded Portland moves him east. Dallas has nothing to move for him. Boston, NYC, Philly, Miami on the other hand...all have major pieces. Plus, the Blazers probably don't wanna see Dame 4 times a year for the next 5 years.

That said, I think he gives Chauncy a chance and they move CJ for something.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#246 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:57 pm

darealjuice wrote:Who even knows if Sarver will be willing to use the MLE this year if we're dishing extensions out to Ayton and Mikal though. I'd like to think we'll pull out all the stops for next year, since CP3 isn't getting any younger and we won't have these rookie contracts forever, but we'll see what happens.

Didn't respond to this earlier....yeah, if Sarver is concerned with paying the 4 guys for a year or two, he would very likely avoid using the MLE (at least for more than a 1 year deal since Saric is out) than trading Bridges (especially for a rookie).
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#247 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Why is Utah going to lose Conley? He was great this year...an all star.

Who knows if Klay is gimpy?

They have tons of options. Even just a Curry/Klay/Draymond core is elite as we've seen. They can package their picks and/or Wiseman. Wiggins has vastly improved and likely would more with Klay attracting defensive attention.

They nearly beat the Lakers WITH LeBron and AD without Klay or Oubre.

They're pretty capped out and he can sign 1 more big deal. He'd look great in Miami for example, Philly too if they clear Simmons $$$ for something else.

Klay no doubt can still shoot like he always has been able to but the days of him on all defense teams is gone forever. I'd be surprised if he can still stick to guys like he was before. Knee and Achilles injuries? In back to back years. They might just park him in a corner and let him fire away-which is fine cause he's gonna hit his shots. He won't be the same Klay imo though.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#248 » by BobbieL » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Not a lot of guard options for MLE/minimum this year. Reggie Jackson, TJ McConnell, Patty Mills, Alex Caruso, Austin Rivers, and Kent Bazemore are the only ones that make much sense to me.

I'd look the Montrezl Harrell, JaMychal Green, Nic Batum, Robin Lopez, Daniel Theis, Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes, JaVale McGee, Dwight Howard out of the forward/big man pool. Don't think we'll have the money for someone like Kelly Olynyk, Otto Porter Jr., or Will Barton.

Who even knows if Sarver will be willing to use the MLE this year if we're dishing extensions out to Ayton and Mikal though. I'd like to think we'll pull out all the stops for next year, since CP3 isn't getting any younger and we won't have these rookie contracts forever, but we'll see what happens.

Reggie would be nice, but people do need to remember he averaged like 10 and 3 this year. He was bad for years...anyway, I think he's be good here but will be too expensive.

McConnell would be nice but would want primary backup. Only pursue him if lose Payne.

The guy I am really curious about is Otto Porter. He was awesome. What happened? Do the Bulls (or did they) destroy players somehow? Does he have a resurgence in him? If so...if he could get back even close to what he was and is likely very affordable for a MLE type deal, he would be a perfect guy at the 4.

What a difference an offseason makes? I just think Jones phone is going to be ringing off the hook moreso than anytime the last 10 years for a Suns GM starting on August 1 and the Suns will have options not even considered. Just never know what player(s) will want to come to Phoenix - of course if Chris Paul returns - than thought would have them as an option.

Paul Booker and Crowder might be the guys making visits or calls to players

It will be a different free agent period
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,234

Post#249 » by enigmatics » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Wow, just looked at Holmes numbers and he had himself a pretty good season didn't he? Dude continues to steadily improve.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#250 » by darealjuice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:08 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:I think Mikal still has a fair amount of upside left. He's tightened up his handle a fair bit over the last few years and added that mid-range fading pull-up to his game last offseason to good success. Just needs to keep working at it and keep getting stronger. Very unlikely that he'll ever be a Paul George, Jayson Tatum, even Khris Middleton-type ball handler that will back up and try to break you down or consistently run the pick and roll, but he can develop into a really good straight line slasher with his length and finishing, and few people are blocking his mid-range pull-up with his release point. He'll be a very effective player if he continues to add that to his off-ball offense and 3-point shooting.

I was thinking about it and I think he will be a cross between that Paul George or upper middle class Kawhi, and Klay Thompson. I don't think he will be exactly like Klay or the others but he can defend like most of them..or close/better than Thompson, shoot the 3 with anyone but Klay, move better than Klay on offense but not quite like the others, etc.

He will have the fewest flaws of anyone on our team. He doesn't get more offense because we is is the 4th option yet still shoots 9.3x a game and his shots are not the kind you don't want because they are the elite areas you want to shoot from and he is among the best in the NBA at 3s and finishing at rim...along with getting steals and igniting the fastbreak.

He won't make nearly what all those other guys make either.

Man that'd be the dream lol PG, Kawhi, Klay Thompson hybrid. I'd love it, a lot to ask for though.

Kawhi-lite should really be the goal for him. Kawhi isn't a flashy or particularly advanced ball handler, just very strong and functional with good footwork. Mikal does get really good height on his mid-range pull-up like Kawhi too, he has the potential to make that a weapon. He'll need to get a lot stronger and continue becoming more comfortable handling the ball. Really high bar to set, but all I read about him is that he's always in the gym working and wants to be great. Time to prove it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#251 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:09 pm

enigmatics wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Wow, just looked at Holmes numbers and he had himself a pretty good season didn't he? Dude continues to steadily improve.

Yeah, I know him well. I luckily scooped him up in our fantasy dynasty league and he's been like a top 30 OVERALL fantasy player the last two years.

He will get paid.

I remember wanting to keep him because of his lower cap hold that summer and was mad we got Baynes and Jerome for a first. I ended up liking Baynes..

But Holmes got a 2 year/$10 million deal..$5 a year. Imagine if we had him this year at $5 million behind Ayton, to play against the Bucks. Might have made a difference...especially if he was playing like he has been for the Kings.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#252 » by darealjuice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Holmes would be best but will be too expensive.

Holmes would be nice. I've seen he wants a lot of money, I'd be a little surprised if he gets quite as much as he wants though.

Yeah I'm only looking for guards if Payne is gone. I think we could use a bucket getter off the bench, but not sure there's any of those out there in our price range.

Otto Porter has been having injury issues for awhile, now he's just a big contract that disappointed. Not sure if a resurgence is in the cards for him, just thought he was an interesting name.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#253 » by cberry78 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:22 pm

This team needs a Bobby Portis type player off the bench. Who's this year's Portis (he's not leaving the Bucks) in FA?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Post#254 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm

darealjuice wrote:I think Mikal still has a fair amount of upside left. He's tightened up his handle a fair bit over the last few years and added that mid-range fading pull-up to his game last offseason to good success. Just needs to keep working at it and keep getting stronger. Very unlikely that he'll ever be a Paul George, Jayson Tatum, even Khris Middleton-type ball handler that will back up and try to break you down or consistently run the pick and roll, but he can develop into a really good straight line slasher with his length and finishing, and few people are blocking his mid-range pull-up with his release point. He'll be a very effective player if he continues to add that to his off-ball offense and 3-point shooting.

I think he can be a better version of the 99' Spurs more improved ( defensively) Sean Elliot perhaps? :dontknow:
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#255 » by Adrao » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:47 pm

Mike Vigil says Suns sould try to hire a third star trading if needed. It souns interesting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#256 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:58 pm

Adrao wrote:Mike Vigil says Suns sould try to hire a third star trading if needed. It souns interesting.

Just sent to his twitter to find that he posted this...

Read on Twitter
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#257 » by Mjee » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Amin is still salty I see …

What a POS !!!!!!
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#258 » by Barkley6 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 pm

darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Holmes would be best but will be too expensive.

Holmes would be nice. I've seen he wants a lot of money, I'd be a little surprised if he gets quite as much as he wants though.

Yeah I'm only looking for guards if Payne is gone. I think we could use a bucket getter off the bench, but not sure there's any of those out there in our price range.

Otto Porter has been having injury issues for awhile, now he's just a big contract that disappointed. Not sure if a resurgence is in the cards for him, just thought he was an interesting name.

Someone will probably pay him, but if you look at the deals the non-All Star bigs have gotten in the last few years, they never go over $13m. I wonder how important winning is to him, or if he'd prefer big minutes on a bad team.

Porter would definitely be interesting, he's 28 so still has gas in the tank. Howard or Noel are backup bigs I'd like to see.

But I DO think we are going to see a surprise. I think a bigger name than we thought we could get is going to try to make it happen to come here. A guy I'd absolutely love as our 6th man is Fournier. He'll definitely get more than the MLE though, so I think that's a pipe dream.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#259 » by BobbieL » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 pm

Mjee wrote:Amin is still salty I see …

What a POS !!!!!!

That dude needs to watch FRozen and let that "shtuff" go

Jeez - he is just hating to hate these days\

Like I said, you can't spell Elhassan without the A-S -S

The Booker thing is nonsense - they will get off to a slow start and demand a trade. Its almost like he is skip Bayless or Stephen A now. Just say a bunch of stupid "shtuff" so people talk to you. If he was logical and coherent, nobody would care what he had to say
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#260 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:52 pm

CP3 wasn't my favorite choice in the off-season as I doubted he would be able to keep from declining at this stage in his career, but he mostly proved me wrong, until what I thought was a lackluster Finals performance (decent offensive numbers, but watching games 3-6, it definitely felt like he disappeared, IMO, disagree if you want).

Hypothetically, if you could trade CP3 + say... 4 FRPs to the Blazers for Damian Lillard, would you?

Lillard is 31, but he's still playing ridiculous basketball that I don't see slowing down for at least 5 more seasons. He's had sort of crap teams surrounding him that were all lacking in something important. He's coldblooded in pressure moments. You can always get FRPs back in future trades. I think I'd definitely do it.

Return to Phoenix Suns