Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#2221 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Yep, players don't typically throw tantrums and leak things to reporters unless their frustration level has already hit the proverbial fan. And it's one thing to talk bad about a coach, and something else to do so about a teammate to a reporter.

I remember one thing Mike Brown convinced the players of back in his first go round was that they should all keep their problems and criticisms in-house. So, the lack of leaks from those days doesn't mean there weren't internal arguments and dysfunction going on, but it wasn't getting out to the press and making the organization look like a **** show.

However, the only way that works long-term is if those issues are addressed.

If we actually do trade Collin in order to dump Kevin, it will be very telling and kind of ironic.

Still dreaming of the day Sexton is traded eh lol give it up man you two are like the biggest Sexton haters and yet put him on a good team and the fanbase would love him. So many Cavs fans just need something to bitch about and never seem to get it right

Facts are pretty inconvenient, eh?

In all fairness no so called facts support your claims here.
The facts are Sexton is never going to be a playmaker on the level you are saying he has to be ... not with DG next to him unless somebody tells him they dont want him to hunt shots anymore.
If they decide they dont want him to be that guy hunting shots and would rather it was a bigger wing or something than F it trade him but they won't get enough back now to have made it the right choice without already having that bigger shot hunter.
I think he can easily but just as effective as a playmaker as DG has been without question if there was a legit better shot hunter he was willing to play 2nd fiddle to and until there is he wont give it up.
the only way DG Sexton backcourt works at all is with a elite sf as is...
but I expect Sexton to take a major jump this season with or without the Cavs
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Wisedude
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#2222 » by Wisedude » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:52 pm

There are times I thought that DG should be traded and not Colin Sexton. Sexton was more explosive and a very good assist guy too. Colin needs to play with better players. If Colin was on the Bucks, there would be no problem at all. So the issue should not be Colin the player but probably what will he sign for. Plus DG is one year behind him contractually which financially helps the Cavs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#2223 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 pm

mg wrote:Who cares about Windler. He's a bust. Still can't believe they passed over Keldon Johnson to draft Windler.
In fairness, 28 other teams passed on Johnson (for reasons similar to why so many teams passed on KPJ).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2224 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I dont mean to dredge up old arguments but since you mentioned this... Beilein took ownership of that play after the game where Love got pissed off Sexton stood right next to Beilein pounding the air out of the ball letting the clock run down and even Love admitted later his error in judgement.
Sexton for all the criticism he gets for not doing what the fkn coaches want is laughable because he is mostly trying to do what they want except for the few moments a game when he says awe f you coach I got this...
That instance is clearly one standing right next to the coach who tells him to hold and poor angry little kev threw a baby tantrum

The thing about Collin man you need to understand is that when there is smoke, there is fire. He has been at the receiving end of a LOT of critisism for the way he plays and he has only been in the league 3 years.

-Love's disdain is well documented
-There were reports about 'anonymous veterans' not being happy with Sexton last year
-Other teams are saying 'you know hes not going to pass it to you'
-Windler/Okoro on multiple occasions looked visibly frustrated with him not seeing them, shrugging their shoulders
-The Cavs dont seem willing to give him a Max

I think everybody agrees Sexton is a great ISO scorer--the question is "Does Collin Sexton handling the ball as a #1 or #2 make your team better" and right now that answer is no.

I think Sexton is a really good player--but his ideal role is that of a '3rd wheel' like Love was during the Finals runs. A role where not much is asked of him outside of scoring and bringing the ball up court a bit. Thats why I think him being the #3 in Miami next to Butler and Bam is probably the best situation for his career. Not being the lead guard on the rebuilding, horrible Cavs that are trying to figure this roster out.

-Love's disdain is well documented =SO WHAT... LOVE IS A UNRELIABLE CHUMP
-There were reports about 'anonymous veterans' not being happy with Sexton last year...YEP LOVE
-Other teams are saying 'you know hes not going to pass it to you'- YEP ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO PASS IT TO THE OTHER TEAM
-Windler/Okoro on multiple occasions looked visibly frustrated with him not seeing them, shrugging their shoulders-NICE TRY
-The Cavs dont seem willing to give him a Max - NO PROOF HE WAS EVER GETTING IT ANYWAY
It's not just Love. Cedi and Prince started playing keep away from him last season. Drummond and Sexton beefed on the court a couple times. So did Sexton and Allen. Big men need to get fed to eat and when you starve them, they'll let you know.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2225 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
The thing about Collin man you need to understand is that when there is smoke, there is fire. He has been at the receiving end of a LOT of critisism for the way he plays and he has only been in the league 3 years.

-Love's disdain is well documented
-There were reports about 'anonymous veterans' not being happy with Sexton last year
-Other teams are saying 'you know hes not going to pass it to you'
-Windler/Okoro on multiple occasions looked visibly frustrated with him not seeing them, shrugging their shoulders
-The Cavs dont seem willing to give him a Max

I think everybody agrees Sexton is a great ISO scorer--the question is "Does Collin Sexton handling the ball as a #1 or #2 make your team better" and right now that answer is no.

I think Sexton is a really good player--but his ideal role is that of a '3rd wheel' like Love was during the Finals runs. A role where not much is asked of him outside of scoring and bringing the ball up court a bit. Thats why I think him being the #3 in Miami next to Butler and Bam is probably the best situation for his career. Not being the lead guard on the rebuilding, horrible Cavs that are trying to figure this roster out.

-Love's disdain is well documented =SO WHAT... LOVE IS A UNRELIABLE CHUMP
-There were reports about 'anonymous veterans' not being happy with Sexton last year...YEP LOVE
-Other teams are saying 'you know hes not going to pass it to you'- YEP ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO PASS IT TO THE OTHER TEAM
-Windler/Okoro on multiple occasions looked visibly frustrated with him not seeing them, shrugging their shoulders-NICE TRY
-The Cavs dont seem willing to give him a Max - NO PROOF HE WAS EVER GETTING IT ANYWAY
It's not just Love. Cedi and Prince started playing keep away from him last season. Drummond and Sexton beefed on the court a couple times. So did Sexton and Allen. Big men need to get fed to eat and when you starve them, they'll let you know.

Is that what it was icing out the selfish player lol to teach him a lesson or some other sht? sure they might have been wanting to get more looks but what were the results? If they were scoring I can guarantee you Sexton was happy they did, he is not a little bitch like most of these losers
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#2226 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:-Love's disdain is well documented =SO WHAT... LOVE IS A UNRELIABLE CHUMP

Is that what it was icing out the selfish player lol to teach him a lesson or some other sht? sure they might have been wanting to get more looks but what were the results? If they were scoring I can guarantee you Sexton was happy they did, he is not a little bitch like most of these losers

Nobody is claiming anyone is a "little bitch" but you ... what we're claiming is Collin plays with a lot of tunnel vision and that has consequences for the team.

Fact is, Collin is up for an extension and he doesn't want to sign for what the Cavs want to pay him. So, they need to decide how much Collin is worth to them, and they need to do that within the scope of the other players they're going want to keep moving forward.

If you don't care to understand why so few people think he's worth a max deal ... that's on you.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2227 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:It's not just Love. Cedi and Prince started playing keep away from him last season. Drummond and Sexton beefed on the court a couple times. So did Sexton and Allen. Big men need to get fed to eat and when you starve them, they'll let you know.

Nobody is claiming anyone is a "little bitch" but you ... what we're claiming is Collin plays with a lot of tunnel vision and that has consequences for the team.

Fact is, Collin is up for an extension and he doesn't want to sign for what the Cavs want to pay him. So, they need to decide how much Collin is worth to them, and they need to do that within the scope of the other players they're going want to keep moving forward.

If you don't care to understand why so few people think he's worth a max deal ... that's on you.

NEWSFLASH its not fact...
every young player in the NBA that is as productive as Sexton has been no matter how much you want to undersell it "wants" the max...and every single org in the NBA would love to retain a player of his caliber for less than it....this is not factual news that They Wont Pay Him...it's assumptions on your part that they value him less than that and that they somehow value DG more which tbh is you hoping that is the case. Cedi played like a little b who was angry he was benched for a rookie Okoro an stinking it up all season when he wasnt in the coaches dog house is a fact
There is also a clear difference between how much I see and your tunnel vision on this subject lol
Sexton for all his do it all alone hero game **** that purists cant stand doesn't change the fact there were no better options most of the time he waved them off
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#2228 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:12 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:-Love's disdain is well documented =SO WHAT... LOVE IS A UNRELIABLE CHUMP

Alright guys.....I think it's time we have a hard discussion to see if Stillwater is actually Collin Sextons burner. Or at least one of his family members.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2229 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:It's not just Love. Cedi and Prince started playing keep away from him last season. Drummond and Sexton beefed on the court a couple times. So did Sexton and Allen. Big men need to get fed to eat and when you starve them, they'll let you know.

Alright guys.....I think it's time we have a hard discussion to see if Stillwater is actually Collin Sextons burner. Or at least one of his family members.

or if you are actually DG lol
dude it is real fkn simple stuff. I believe in Sexton as much as he believes in himself and that belief has produced results consistently. If he simply had better scorers around him he would share the rock, as it is he is selfish for a damn good reason. You really dont have to make it personal but since you have I hope you get exactly what you deserve and DG without Sexton leads this team to multiple seasons of first round exits.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#2230 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Is that what it was icing out the selfish player lol to teach him a lesson or some other sht? sure they might have been wanting to get more looks but what were the results? If they were scoring I can guarantee you Sexton was happy they did, he is not a little bitch like most of these losers

dude it is real fkn simple stuff. I believe in Sexton as much as he believes in himself and that belief has produced results consistently. If he simply had better scorers around him he would share the rock, as it is he is selfish for a damn good reason. You really dont have to make it personal but since you have I hope you get exactly what you deserve and DG without Sexton leads this team to multiple seasons of first round exits.

The thing I'm trying to get you to understand and see is that while sextons scoring and boxscore shooting looks good---hes not making anybody on the team better, he's not creating open shots and the team isn't winning.

But you keep disregarding everything about his game that is a weakness, which is quite literally everything besides iso scoring. Maybe guys you hate like Love, Allen, Okoro, Prince, Cedi ECT would perform better if the ball wasn't being pounded into oblivion everytime Sexton touches it or if he was driving/kicking for open shooters where they could get their shots.

In reality, when Sexton is on the floor 7/10 times everyone just stands around the perimeter while he tries to force a drive to the rim or midrange pull-up. There is also a reason Allen looks 10x better sharing the floor with Garland. It's because they developed chemistry and play together.

Nobody is saying Sexton can't score. His volume scoring ability when the Cabs need a run is great. However, if he was more developed in other areas the Cavs wouldn't need to come back from a deficit and need volume scoring as often in the 4th. But I really really really really really need you to understand that the holes in Sextons game kill the Cavs offense and even though he is ISO scoring 25pts he is probably giving up 30 on the other end all while not getting anybody involved on offense.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2231 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:12 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

The thing I'm trying to get you to understand and see is that while sextons scoring and boxscore shooting looks good---hes not making anybody on the team better, he's not creating open shots and the team isn't winning.

But you keep disregarding everything about his game that is a weakness, which is quite literally everything besides iso scoring. Maybe guys you hate like Love, Allen, Okoro, Prince, Cedi ECT would perform better if the ball wasn't being pounded into oblivion everytime Sexton touches it or if he was driving/kicking for open shooters where they could get their shots.

In reality, when Sexton is on the floor 7/10 times everyone just stands around the perimeter while he tries to force a drive to the rim or midrange pull-up. There is also a reason Allen looks 10x better sharing the floor with Garland. It's because they developed chemistry and play together.

Nobody is saying Sexton can't score. His volume scoring ability when the Cabs need a run is great. However, if he was more developed in other areas the Cavs wouldn't need to come back from a deficit and need volume scoring as often in the 4th. But I really really really really really need you to understand that the holes in Sextons game kill the Cavs offense and even though he is ISO scoring 25pts he is probably giving up 30 on all while not getting anybody involved on offense.

AND what you keep ignoring is that nobody needs him to make the team better right now, they need him to score.
BTW the other day I proposed a trade getting rid of both sexland and I would in fact consider it. all I know for sure is Sexton
is on par with so many great scorers at the same time in his career that selling low on him might be a massive regretful decision unless whoever or whatever the return would be was proven already as a better player. Good luck finding that at the current salary matching and dont expect Love to raise the anti on the return because you know damn well it decreases the return...
There are plenty of teams that could potentially see what DG did last season and believe he could be a nice starting point who might surprise if they are lucky whereas Sexton has these same pathetic tunnel vision labels even from his own fanbase who fails to acknowledge the beginnings of great scorers started the same way and had the same scrutiny
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2232 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:51 am

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:or if you are actually DG lol

Nobody is saying Sexton can't score. His volume scoring ability when the Cabs need a run is great. However, if he was more developed in other areas the Cavs wouldn't need to come back from a deficit and need volume scoring as often in the 4th. But I really really really really really need you to understand that the holes in Sextons game kill the Cavs offense and even though he is ISO scoring 25pts he is probably giving up 30 on all while not getting anybody involved on offense.

AND what you keep ignoring is that nobody needs him to make the team better right now, they need him to score.
BTW the other day I proposed a trade getting rid of both sexland and I would in fact consider it. all I know for sure is Sexton
is on par with so many great scorers at the same time in his career that selling low on him might be a massive regretful decision unless whoever or whatever the return would be was proven already as a better player. Good luck finding that at the current salary matching and dont expect Love to raise the anti on the return because you know damn well it decreases the return...
There are plenty of teams that could potentially see what DG did last season and believe he could be a nice starting point who might surprise if they are lucky whereas Sexton has these same pathetic tunnel vision labels even from his own fanbase who fails to acknowledge the beginnings of great scorers started the same way and had the same scrutiny
Calm down.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2233 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:44 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Calm down.

cool as a cucumber chief I just dont like being told what I need to think by other posters
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#2234 » by tundraknight » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:31 am

The Cavaliers are supposedly attempting to trade for another Top 10 pick in this draft.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008665-cavaliers-rumors-cleveland-attempting-to-trade-for-2nd-top-10-pick-in-2021-nba-draft
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2235 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:25 am

Cavs trading down if Mobley is gone is a way to get another pick
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#2236 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Stillwater wrote:Cavs trading down if Mobley is gone is a way to get another pick

They're supposedly looking to do it without trading Sexton or #3, but given they've struggled to get anyone to offer a top-10 pick with Sexton, it seems unlikely they'll pull something off without him.

Nance should easily get them a late first from a contender, but then they'd have to sweeten the deal up quite a bit to get in to the top-10 by absorbing a bad contract and/or trading away a future protected #1 pick.
Wisedude
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#2237 » by Wisedude » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm

I would be looking to trade Nance also but ONLY if the value in return is right and will improve the team with better talent going forward.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#2238 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Wisedude wrote:I would be looking to trade Nance also but ONLY if the value in return is right and will improve the team with better talent going forward.

A top 10 pick in unlikely to improve the team more than a healthy Larry Nance (which is why Larry has positive value), so, it would have to be more about resetting the roster, addressing fit, clearing minutes, etc.

In theory if we draft Mobley, trading Nance would clear enough minutes for him and buying out Love would not necessarily be mandatory unless this move is just part of a veteran purge (out with the old, in with the new).

It would still be a shame to lose Larry, and would contradict everything the team says they're about; but from a cold-hearted POV it may be our last chance to sell high on a player who's amazing when healthy but far too rarely is.

Alas, it seems like the Cavs scheme every year to acquire an extra lottery pick and never pull it off because teams inevitably find some other way to work out their player or cap problems ... but nothing wrong with kicking tires and hoping something shakes loose.

Before the lottery the Cavs were talking about trading their pick for some veteran help, but with a top-3 pick they believe will be a franchise player it makes sense that their thinking has shifted to resetting the team around that pick.

They just have to be sure who they're getting so they take the right approach.

Green coming in? Maybe Sexton has to go, but if it's Mobley? Then perhaps they're looking more at Love and Nance.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#2239 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Cavs trading down if Mobley is gone is a way to get another pick

They're supposedly looking to do it without trading Sexton or #3, but given they've struggled to get anyone to offer a top-10 pick with Sexton, it seems unlikely they'll pull something off without him.

Nance should easily get them a late first from a contender, but then they'd have to sweeten the deal up quite a bit to get in to the top-10 by absorbing a bad contract and/or trading away a future protected #1 pick.

How do you know this to be the case at all though? I mean it is not a bad bet to assume that given he deserves a pay day that lessens any trade partners interest in giving up a high pick for what may just be a rental 6th man...
I personally think there is significant misunderstandings going on about just how available any young core player is. But it seems to me a sign and trade of Allen or moving Garland or even Okoro with the extra year or years more appealing to a team that owns a top 10 pick and where the interest is high enough if the Cavs cannot trade down or want to move back in via trade.
We already knew Sexton was not going to get them a lottery pick with his contract rumors imo,.. knowing he needs to be paid and could just leave wherever he goes .
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#2240 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

How do you know this to be the case at all though? I mean it is not a bad bet to assume that given he deserves a pay day that lessens any trade partners interest in giving up a high pick for what may just be a rental 6th man...
I personally think there is significant misunderstandings going on about just how available any young core player is. But it seems to me a sign and trade of Allen or moving Garland or even Okoro with the extra year or years more appealing to a team that owns a top 10 pick and where the interest is high enough if the Cavs cannot trade down or want to move back in via trade.
We already knew Sexton was not going to get them a lottery pick with his contract rumors imo,.. knowing he needs to be paid and could just leave wherever he goes .

Feel free to refute my claim ... well not you per se ... I mean show me one rumor/column/post/whatever from a non-Cavs fan/reporter and non-joke/troll that claims their team should give up a top-10 pick for Collin?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers