ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#521 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:11 am

Aaron It Out wrote:I hate to be a downer during what's possibly a once in a lifetime run we're on here, but a post in another thread got me thinking about this.

Back in November one of my lifelong best friends was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer at age 31. He just got married and they have a daughter that's a little over a year old now. He lives in Texas so I haven't seen him since well before covid, but I've talked to him pretty much every day for as long as I can remember. The whole thing has been crazy. They guessed he had it for around a year before getting checked, and it had spread to his liver and lungs. So he's been going through a number of different chemo and radiation treatments. He seemed to be physically handling them well, but it keeps growing and the latest form of chemo treatment seems to be hitting him hard.

For the most part he's been pretty high-spirited, or he's at least putting on a good show. There have been times where I don't really know how to "be" with him though. I try not to bring it up unless he starts talking about it first. I can't imagine what it's like mentally so I'd hate to distract/remind him if he's otherwise having a good day or whatever. When he does talk about it I just try to make sure to register everything he says and ask all my questions I've been thinking of.

I lost my godmother way too early to cancer already, so I've kind of already "been through this" before (I say that with full awareness that I'm not the one fighting cancer here). The only reason I bring that up is because there were times during her battle and especially near the end where I felt regrettably absent. It's much different with it being a good friend that I talk to in a daily basis, so I'm less worried about that happening, but it's especially hard being like 1300 miles away. I don't really know what advice there is to give in this situation but maybe you'll keep him in mind the next time you tip one back or light one up.

And get yourself checked if you have poop problems.

I know man
I'm literally on the other side of the planet from half my family and I think about things like this every day.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#522 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:So I started designing a leather bag, sort of like a clutch for small items sort of thing, and I wanted it to be rectangular with a lid and a brass closure. Then I started making a patter from cardboard, then I made a cardboard prototype, and I realised that I had completely forgotten one side of the rectangle :lol:

So it ended up being a triangular bag.
And I made it anyway, because why not, and it's basically the least practical bag in the universe, and somehow everybody who's seen it wants one LOL

I've made 4 in total, those are the last 2

These look really nice. I'm a whiz with numbers but when it comes to making stuff I'm like a 2 year old.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#523 » by Finn » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Spoiler:
So I started designing a leather bag, sort of like a clutch for small items sort of thing, and I wanted it to be rectangular with a lid and a brass closure. Then I started making a patter from cardboard, then I made a cardboard prototype, and I realised that I had completely forgotten one side of the rectangle :lol:

So it ended up being a triangular bag.
And I made it anyway, because why not, and it's basically the least practical bag in the universe, and somehow everybody who's seen it wants one LOL

I've made 4 in total, those are the last 2

Very nice! But I'm a sucker for your wood-working!! :love:

Are you concerned with contents falling out the ends when the bag is open? What about sewing in a nice piece of fabric that would expand/collapse as you open/close the bag?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#524 » by KidA24 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:15 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:I hate to be a downer during what's possibly a once in a lifetime run we're on here, but a post in another thread got me thinking about this.

Back in November one of my lifelong best friends was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer at age 31. He just got married and they have a daughter that's a little over a year old now. He lives in Texas so I haven't seen him since well before covid, but I've talked to him pretty much every day for as long as I can remember. The whole thing has been crazy. They guessed he had it for around a year before getting checked, and it had spread to his liver and lungs. So he's been going through a number of different chemo and radiation treatments. He seemed to be physically handling them well, but it keeps growing and the latest form of chemo treatment seems to be hitting him hard.

For the most part he's been pretty high-spirited, or he's at least putting on a good show. There have been times where I don't really know how to "be" with him though. I try not to bring it up unless he starts talking about it first. I can't imagine what it's like mentally so I'd hate to distract/remind him if he's otherwise having a good day or whatever. When he does talk about it I just try to make sure to register everything he says and ask all my questions I've been thinking of.

I lost my godmother way too early to cancer already, so I've kind of already "been through this" before (I say that with full awareness that I'm not the one fighting cancer here). The only reason I bring that up is because there were times during her battle and especially near the end where I felt regrettably absent. It's much different with it being a good friend that I talk to in a daily basis, so I'm less worried about that happening, but it's especially hard being like 1300 miles away. I don't really know what advice there is to give in this situation but maybe you'll keep him in mind the next time you tip one back or light one up.

Hey man, seriously, **** cancer.

It's tough to help anyone when they are a long distance away, but I know random things can always brighten someone's day. Send a post card. Make plans. Share joy in experiences, even if they are over zoom (I did an online cocktail class & ran a bourbon tasting for friends - that was awesome).

Don't be afraid to reassure him that he can talk to you. "I'm here to listen if you need someone other than your wife." is an odd thing, but an important one for someone who's going through a lot to hear.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#525 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:42 pm

It sounds like you're doing exactly what you should be doing - being there for him. The truth is, there are no magic words, or perfect sentiments, or precise ways that you can navigate these kinds of situations. Each person has their own struggle; each person has their own needs. Some people want to talk about their cancer fight all the time. Others don't want to even mention it. Most people vary from day-to-day, based on how they're feeling. But the one universal truth is that no one wants to be forgotten; to watch their friends fade away because they're too uncomfortable to be around them as they go through the fight for their lives. You're being a great friend by continuing to check in on him. It lets him know that you care, and that **** matters a lot.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#526 » by PANDEMONEUM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:52 pm

small church festival, at my church.

Lamb, Chicken, Gyros, Souvlaki, Saganaki, Loucamades

really good food.
2 or 3 things for kids.
bar.
bring cash (idk if theyr CC equipped)

get some good greek food to prepare yourself for Giannis and the Bucks

https://www.facebook.com/TosaGreekFest
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#527 » by vital_signs » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Random rant from a cheapskate/ahole (probably).

But is anyone else tired of the square payment systems asking for tips in scenarios where you wouldn't have tipped previously? I normally tip on the usual things like bars, sit down restaurants, delivery, haircuts etc. Now you're being asked to tip when you order a burger and you stand at the counter to receive it. On top of that my tip is based off the service, 18-22% unless you're a complete incompetent individual than you may get a wretched 10-12%. Being asked to tip before you even get what you asked for seems to contradict the point. /rant
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#528 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:12 pm

I don't tip when I place an order at the counter and they bring me food at the counter. Sit down service or delivery I do
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#529 » by jschligs » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:44 pm

I cannot catch a break lately. Finally feeling back to normal after a stressful few weeks with the baby and the flu. Then I go and tweak my back helping my brother in law move, then I get food poisoning from Chipotle...what is this crap...
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#530 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:23 am

Which one of you is this?

jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,962

Post#531 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Legit funniest thing I've come across in a while. Link obviously NSFW.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#532 » by DrWood » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:27 pm

The ads. at the top of the page (on either side of the list of new stories) was for a Dr. I have an appointment for on Monday. Wondering how that happened. I haven't posted anything online about it. I don't even think I googled him. And I live in Louisiana, so obviously nothing ties him to a Bucks page.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#533 » by stellation » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:32 pm

DrWood wrote:The ads. at the top of the page (on either side of the list of new stories) was for a Dr. I have an appointment for on Monday. Wondering how that happened. I haven't posted anything online about it. I don't even think I googled him. And I live in Louisiana, so obviously nothing ties him to a Bucks page.

Did you ring them from your mobile/have their number stored in your contacts? Android or iPhone?
#FreeChuckDiesel
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#534 » by DrWood » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 pm

stellation wrote:
DrWood wrote:The ads. at the top of the page (on either side of the list of new stories) was for a Dr. I have an appointment for on Monday. Wondering how that happened. I haven't posted anything online about it. I don't even think I googled him. And I live in Louisiana, so obviously nothing ties him to a Bucks page.

Did you ring them from your mobile/have their number stored in your contacts? Android or iPhone?

I never go on realm from my phone, so I wouldn't think that would make a difference.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#535 » by stellation » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:09 pm

DrWood wrote:
stellation wrote:

I never go on realm from my phone, so I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

It depends, sadly- it's more just about if you login to something on your phone then login to the same thing from another device. Facebook is the obvious one, and they share tracking technology across products/partners. Use instagram on your phone, facebook on your laptop and they will share data and are smart enough to match up a contact/phone number to say a publicly listed ad. If you're using an Android phone you're basically shot as far as tracking goes, google is the ad tracking king.

Apple is better, but you need the latest IOS and to opt in to block tracking to reduce it- if you don't and you use an iPhone and say a Macbook and open no common sites/apps on the two, but use a common Apple ID it will sync up and serve ads.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,654

Post#536 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:19 pm

DrWood wrote:
stellation wrote:

RealGM has nothing to do with it. The way ad tracking works is that it would start with someone like a Google, maybe through a Gmail account, and Google Adwords pulls keywords for targeted advertising. Trackers then know what sites you're going to, and anyone using Google for advertising would then have those targeted ads fed to them to show up for you on said site. RealGM in this case is just selling space to someone who knows what you're doing/going/have planned.

Web tracking and ads is gross to think about. I try not to, lol.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#537 » by DrWood » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
DrWood wrote:
stellation wrote:Did you ring them from your mobile/have their number stored in your contacts? Android or iPhone?

I never go on realgm from my phone, so I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

RealGM has nothing to do with it. The way ad tracking works is that it would start with someone like a Google, maybe through a Gmail account, and Google Adwords pulls keywords for targeted advertising. Trackers then know what sites you're going to, and anyone using Google for advertising would then have those targeted ads fed to them to show up for you on said site. RealGM in this case is just selling space to someone who knows what you're doing/going/have planned.

Web tracking and ads is gross to think about. I try not to, lol.

At least I know that the Dr. I'm going to is about half my age, as the ad. had a pic.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,962

Post#538 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 pm

2.5 oz Hendricks Gin (for the cucumber notes)
1/8th lime wedge and juice
2 round slices cucumber
2 round slices jalapeño (seeded, ribs optional)
Top with half fever tree tonic, half fever tree grapefruit

**** delicious.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#539 » by crkone » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:57 am

Did a charter fishing trip today on Lake Michigan. Those are so damn fun.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#540 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 am

The beach volleyball bikinis have gotten...smaller.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks