ImageImage

Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion 

Post#221 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:38 pm

jman3134 wrote:That seems like an insane offer. I wouldn't want to part with Anderson in a sign and trade capacity, but I would give all that up if it procured #2/#3. I would also deal Bane and/or Tillman to get a deal done. My concern might be Love/Osman salary putting us over so that we may not be able to sign Kyle. I would have to check the numbers there though. Green would be my first target and if he was not available, I would take Suggs. A Suggs/Ja backcourt is a similarly scary proposition for the rest of the league. Suggs looks like an alltime winning player. The Warriors aren't stupid.

Anderson has to be viewed the same as Jonas here, 28 & expiring value.. turn him over for top end talent on rookie scale & control.

Memphis can always get role players via all facets. Be it trade, draft or free agency. The hard part is landing stars. So now is the time to condense for that 3rd star with Cavs listening for an overpay, which Memphis can do.. Anyone of Green/Mobley/Suggs will be there at 3.

Memphis has already taken a step back, might as well accomplish the goal of adding that 3rd building block to Ja & 3J. Worst case scenario in selling off their proven vets with 3J possibly landing back on the injury list, Memphis get back in the draft with young, controlled talent & only improve their outlook if the scouting department continues to hit on picks the way they have.

- Mobley/3J/JA
- 3J/Green/Ja
- 3J/Suggs/Ja

All in, I'm more than willing to overpay for any of these 3 core groups.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#222 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:46 pm

I think the reported Westbrook deal may slightly hurt the value of the 2022 LAL 1st we have. Feels like he will help them in the regular season and then hurt them in the playoffs.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#223 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:06 pm

Trade board has OKC offering (6, 16, 34, 2022 PHX FRP, 2023 DEN FRP) for (3, Love)

Suns pick is top 10 protected
Denver pick is top 14 protected

If Memphis can get #7 from GS without giving up 10 using the GS 24 pick, win now players & cap consideration.

(7, 10, Utah top 6, Lakers top 10) for Love is a better package. So unless OKC put SGA on the table which they would be foolish to do. I think Memphis can beat their offer for #3, if they can get #7.

It's quite possible Memphis goal was to get 7 & 14 using 10 to beat out 6 & 16..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#224 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:11 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I think the reported Westbrook deal may slightly hurt the value of the 2022 LAL 1st we have. Feels like he will help them in the regular season and then hurt them in the playoffs.

Lebron's age, Davis' injury in combination with Westbrook's game declining in combination with the fact he's also had nagging injuries over the last couple years as well. So if Lakers have to trade depth because of Westbrooks salary. I would give both Memphis 22 1sts the better odds than a young improving Suns squad & Denver's pick which is basically lotto protected.

Not to mention Utah look like they may shake up their roster where their pick is only top 6 protected.

IMO Utah 22 top 6, Lakers 22 top 10 > Suns 22 top 12, Denver 23 top 14.

I think there's a greater chance both Utah & Lakers could run into bad fortune than the Suns & Denver all things considered, then factor in the lesser protections to advantage any mishap..
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#225 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think the reported Westbrook deal may slightly hurt the value of the 2022 LAL 1st we have. Feels like he will help them in the regular season and then hurt them in the playoffs.

Lebron's age, Davis' injury in combination with Westbrook's game declining in combination with the fact he's also had nagging injuries over the last couple years as well. So if Lakers have to trade depth because of Westbrooks salary. I would give both Memphis 22 1sts the better odds than a young improving Suns squad & Denver's pick which is basically lotto protected.

Not to mention Utah look like they may shake up their roster where their pick is only top 6 protected.

I think there's a greater chance both Utah & Lakers could run into bad fortune than the Suns & Denver all things considered, then factor in the lesser protections to advantage any mishap..

Oh no I totally agree, but I felt like the LAL pick went from like 20 to 22 kind of thing.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#226 » by jman3134 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

Why would Utah tinker with their roster? They are a Mitchell/Conley injury away from the Finals imo.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#227 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:33 pm

GS trade - (filler, #7, #14) for (Anderson, Cedi, Sexton, GS 24).

Cavs trade - (Love, Cedi, Sexton, #3) for (Adams, Bledsoe, Melton, #7, #10, #14, Utah 22, Lakers 22)

Memphis trade - (Adams, Anderson, Melton, Bledsoe, #10, Utah 22, Lakers 22, GS 24) for (Love, #3)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#228 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Why would Utah tinker with their roster? They are a Mitchell/Conley injury away from the Finals imo.

Both their key wings, Ingles specifically.. is over 30 & expiring next year, where they've been rumored to be looking to take a bit of a step back to replace potentially losing either of them to free agency & or overpaying for ageing talent being a small financial market ...
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#229 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#230 » by E S V L » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:32 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would you prefer this trade?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#231 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It isn't clear of the details so hard to judge. JV for Bagley and swapping 17/9 would have kept our cap space intact and given us a flyer on Bagley. We then could have used our space on the Favors salary dump as well as others to make up for the lost LAL 1st or could have still taken on Bledsoe for that 1st. I'd lean towards this if those were the terms. If they also wanted us to add the Utah 1st and eat Hield into our space I think I might prefer what we did with the Pelicans.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#232 » by E S V L » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:55 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It isn't clear of the details so hard to judge. JV for Bagley and swapping 17/9 would have kept our cap space intact and given us a flyer on Bagley. We then could have used our space on the Favors salary dump as well as others to make up for the lost LAL 1st or could have still taken on Bledsoe for that 1st. I'd lean towards this if those were the terms. If they also wanted us to add the Utah 1st and eat Hield into our space I think I might prefer what we did with the Pelicans.

Do you see any value in Adams’ role with this young team which some describe as enforcer and physicality when necessary?
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#233 » by E S V L » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1421153359474593800%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards.grizzliesonline.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fmemgrizz%2Fstatus%2F1421153359474593800
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#234 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Do you see any value in Adams’ role with this young team which some describe as enforcer and physicality when necessary?

I do see value in Adams. I just think that Bagley and potentially an extra 1st (I believe we could have structured the deal to include the Favors dump) may be a bit better than that value is all.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#235 » by E S V L » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:25 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:It isn't clear of the details so hard to judge. JV for Bagley and swapping 17/9 would have kept our cap space intact and given us a flyer on Bagley. We then could have used our space on the Favors salary dump as well as others to make up for the lost LAL 1st or could have still taken on Bledsoe for that 1st. I'd lean towards this if those were the terms. If they also wanted us to add the Utah 1st and eat Hield into our space I think I might prefer what we did with the Pelicans.

I do see value in Adams. I just think that Bagley and potentially an extra 1st (I believe we could have structured the deal to include the Favors dump) may be a bit better than that value is all.

I see your point, though I am very glad we get some muscles and big strong body in the paint.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#236 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:43 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I see your point, though I am very glad we get some muscles and big strong body in the paint.

If we had gone the other route, I would have strongly wanted us to get some big bodied center for cheap in FA to act as a backup and situational starter for when we go against Embiid or JV.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#237 » by VCfor3 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:57 pm

Apologies for not remember exactly where I heard the idea (maybe one of the podcasts?), but they were talking about how it seems the Memphis FO may think that tall versatile players (like what KD has become) are the next big wave coming to the NBA and so they might have put more emphasis on Ziaire and Santi because they fit that mold. If that is true, I feel like us moving JJJ for Ingram or really any other player will never happen since we will value JJJ more than any other team trading for him would. Just kind of a random thought I had ha.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#238 » by jman3134 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 8:42 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Apologies for not remember exactly where I heard the idea (maybe one of the podcasts?), but they were talking about how it seems the Memphis FO may think that tall versatile players (like what KD has become) are the next big wave coming to the NBA and so they might have put more emphasis on Ziaire and Santi because they fit that mold. If that is true, I feel like us moving JJJ for Ingram or really any other player will never happen since we will value JJJ more than any other team trading for him would. Just kind of a random thought I had ha.

Positionless basketball is here now. Yes, these guys are prototypes for what is coming, but you need to be efficient. If you are rotating down and can't stop a big or don't have the footspeed to defend one on one on the perimeter, it doesn't matter that you have any of these physical characteristics. That's not a knock against either of the guys we drafted, but more me rambling about the limitations of positionless basketball. Roles are still important. They just can be done by anyone on the floor.

As it applies to JJJ, I want to give him a shot to develop. I don't see what the fuss is about at the moment (but he has been limited by injuries to be fair to him). His jumper is unorthodox at best and I would not consider him an elite rim protector.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#239 » by psman2 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:53 am

Room exception targets? $4,910,000

Monk or Terence Davis?
E S V L
Analyst

Post#240 » by E S V L » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:42 am

psman2 wrote:Room exception targets? $4,910,000

Monk or Terence Davis?

Can we trade this exception in return of a couple of 2nds? That would be nice.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies