Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Re: Pacers Select Chris Duarte at #13 

Post#41 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 am

Nuntius wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:Moses Moody is NBA ready and he's 5 years younger than Duarte.

I too worry about Duarte's age. but the team worked out both Moody and Duarte and if they rated Duarte higher, I would be arrogant to put my judgment ahead of theirs.

Look, I'm not saying that it's not possible that Duarte is better right now. He may as well be. The question is where will the two players be in 2-3 years. Who will be better then? That's what matters.

And the reason why that matters is that we are not contending this next season. We simply aren't. We don't have the talent for it. We have the talent to be a #4 or #5 seed, under the very best circumstances. Again, we needed an injection of high-end talent and Duarte just isn't that. Under no circumstances. Moody could be that and he's pretty good right now too.

I love Moody, and really wanted him. Still would. But he’s not NBA ready. He’s going to need some time. He could be a star one day, but from most all reviews, Moody isn’t ready to play day 1. Maybe Duarte isn’t either. But Moody isn’t NBA ready yet.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#42 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:04 am

From the standpoint of replacing Doug I think KP knocked it out of the park. It's quite possible Duarte becomes a high end reserve for the next 8 seasons, but at 13, I'm taking Moses Moody all day long. Reports indicate Moody's IQ is so high it's off the charts. Could be the next Kris Middleton. What KP did tonight at 13 reminds me of the Browns taking a 28 yo rookie QB in the 1st round. Honestly I feared Kispert was definitely happening so I can't complain too much.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#43 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:08 am

Boneman2 wrote:Honestly I feared Kispert was definitely happening so I can't complain too much.

That was one of my big fears as well.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#44 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:08 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
I’m with you and definitely think he’ll work out. We needed defense and to replace Doug’s 3 point production and movement.

Did we need that more than a potential star?

Realistically we needed a replacement for Doug’s spot. Yes it would have been nice to get Bouknight or Moody, but the Pacers or Carlisle preferred Duarte for a replacement. We weren’t picking high enough in the lottery to get a difference making player who would put Sabonis, Turner, Brogdon, Warren, or LeVert on the second team.

We absolutely were picking high enough for that. Moody was still on the board and so was Keon Johnson and Jalen Johnson, both very high upside picks. We had the opportunity to get a difference maker and we blew it for Doug's replacement.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:09 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Wizop wrote:
I too worry about Duarte's age. but the team worked out both Moody and Duarte and if they rated Duarte higher, I would be arrogant to put my judgment ahead of theirs.

Look, I'm not saying that it's not possible that Duarte is better right now. He may as well be. The question is where will the two players be in 2-3 years. Who will be better then? That's what matters.

And the reason why that matters is that we are not contending this next season. We simply aren't. We don't have the talent for it. We have the talent to be a #4 or #5 seed, under the very best circumstances. Again, we needed an injection of high-end talent and Duarte just isn't that. Under no circumstances. Moody could be that and he's pretty good right now too.

I love Moody, and really wanted him. Still would. But he’s not NBA ready. He’s going to need some time. He could be a star one day, but from most all reviews, Moody isn’t ready to play day 1. Maybe Duarte isn’t either. But Moody isn’t NBA ready yet.

I am ready to bet that Moody will play more for the Warriors than Duarte plays for us.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#46 » by Gremz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:48 am

Love it. He's an instant replacement for Doug with the ability to grow into a serious shot creator and will have a much better impact on the defensive end.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#47 » by Pacersike » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:21 am

Got to have faith in people, as long as we can.

The NBA will separate the strong from the weaker and both our first round picks can get a lot better with the right attitude.

Good choices, our guys now, go Pacers!
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#48 » by davidfr94 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:54 am

Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

I am ready to bet that Moody will play more for the Warriors than Duarte plays for us.
Totally agree with you on the pick. Guess WE are happy just making the playoffs.

I think it has a lot to do with Rick. He wants to win now.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am

davidfr94 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Totally agree with you on the pick. Guess WE are happy just making the playoffs.

We are going to be making the playoffs with Rick regardless. As a low seed, yeah, but Duarte doesn't change that. He doesn't change our floor or our ceiling.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
davidfr94
Senior

Post#50 » by davidfr94 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am

Nuntius wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

We are going to be making the playoffs with Rick regardless. As a low seed, yeah, but Duarte doesn't change that. He doesn't change our floor or our ceiling.

Yeah but he is not the type of coach that loves taking time developing young players
davidfr94
Senior

Post#51 » by davidfr94 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:39 am

Nuntius wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

" J. Michael: Golden State, league sources tell @IndyStarSports , is trying to get the #Pacers to part with Duarte. Offering Moody + other assets. They’re not budging right now. Duarte was the pick they wanted, too, apparently. Top of their board – via Twitter ThisIsJMichael "

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#52 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 am

Don't hate the pick, but it's not terribly exciting either

Should have tried to look for the next Donovan Mitchell at #13
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#53 » by Pacersike » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:36 am

Nuntius wrote:We are going to be making the playoffs with Rick regardless. As a low seed, yeah, but Duarte doesn't change that. He doesn't change our floor or our ceiling.

I remember you having a lot more faith in our players. Whatever changed that, I like to encourage you to have more faith again.

The mind has incredible powers and yes, Chris can become a special player for us.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Oh, he may have to. Depending on what they do the rest of this offseason, they have lacked depth at the wings for years. Whether or not he’s ready for it, he’s likely to get a lot of minutes.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#55 » by DickGrayson » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:52 pm

If you guys remember clearly, Brogdon was 24 when he won rookie of the year. People said it was a fluke ROY because the other young players would eventually develop "better" than him. It turned out Brogdon improved every season and had a break out year in 2021 averaging 21 ppg.

Duarte isn't just a 3 and D, he's top in his class at scoring off the dribble, in transition and off the pick and roll.

Duarte going from running the P&R with Clifford Omoruyi to now having Sabonis and Turner who are both elite....it will open the floor more since Duarte is a deadeye shooter.

Duarte has a good chance to finish all rookie first team. It's not that he's NBA ready, he can develop as good as any 19 year old. The same way Brogdon did and earned himself a role in this league.

Brogdon/Duarte in the backcourt ....Duarte has deceptive speed and will surprise people with athleticism. He's better shooting Zach Lavine with active hands on defense. I wanted CD5 on the Knicks because I believe it would address the Knicks biggest need. I think being away from the NY media it would give CD5 more room to grow and focus. Indiana is a great place to develop your game...Pacers could make the 5th seed if they use their cap space to get some wing players and a downhill guard.

I'm also a fan of Moody, but Duarte is more creative offensive and has better handles. Moody would need a PG to get his offense off until he develops. Duarte is a sure thing and can run an offense. He's a gym rat who study tape constantly. Indiana trusted Duarte with the 13 pick for a reason.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm

I get preferring other guys. I totally do. I’m fine with Duarte, but we can all agree on one thing.

Thank God it wasn’t Kispert. That would’ve gotten me hot. :lol:
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:20 pm

davidfr94 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:Totally agree with you on the pick. Guess WE are happy just making the playoffs.

Yeah but he is not the type of coach that loves taking time developing young players

Meh. He had no issue playing Brunson. Yogi Ferrel's played a lot for him as well. We didn't need to pick a 24 year old for him to play.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I get preferring other guys. I totally do. I’m fine with Duarte, but we can all agree on one thing.

Thank God it wasn’t Kispert. That would’ve gotten me hot. :lol:

It's worse, isn't it? Duarte is 2 years older than Kispert.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:23 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Nuntius wrote:We are going to be making the playoffs with Rick regardless. As a low seed, yeah, but Duarte doesn't change that. He doesn't change our floor or our ceiling.

I remember you having a lot more faith in our players. Whatever changed that, I like to encourage you to have more faith again.

The mind has incredible powers and yes, Chris can become a special player for us.

I have the utmost faith in our players. The ones that will remain, at least, because Bjorkgren totally fractured the locker-room. What I'm starting to lose faith on is our management. Last night was awful and if we don't make moves to rectify that **** soon, it will be a turning point.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 pm

DickGrayson wrote:If you guys remember clearly, Brogdon was 24 when he won rookie of the year. People said it was a fluke ROY because the other young players would eventually develop "better" than him. It turned out Brogdon improved every season and had a break out year in 2021 averaging 21 ppg.

As someone who watched that year, let me tell you that it was not a break out year at all. Brogdon isn't a better player than what he was when we got him. He is the exact same player that just played way more minutes (34.5 MPG, up from 30.9 last year and 28.9 two years before) and took more shots (17.5 FGA up from 13.8 FGA last year and 11.7 FGA two years before).

And that's alright. Brogdon was a great pick at #36 and I'd be elated if Duarte turns out like him. I simply believe that he'll turn out like Doug McDermott or Justin Holiday. A good role player and nothing more.

DickGrayson wrote:Duarte isn't just a 3 and D, he's top in his class at scoring off the dribble, in transition and off the pick and roll.

Duarte going from running the P&R with Clifford Omoruyi to now having Sabonis and Turner who are both elite....it will open the floor more since Duarte is a deadeye shooter.

Yeah but he's also going to be running the P&R against actual NBA players and not against kids who are 4 and 5 years younger than him.

DickGrayson wrote:Duarte has a good chance to finish all rookie first team. It's not that he's NBA ready, he can develop as good as any 19 year old. The same way Brogdon did and earned himself a role in this league.

What exactly can he develop? Where are the areas that he can improve on? How can he develop as good as any 19 year old? His offensive game is polished, isn't he? He knows where to be defensively, doesn't he? What is there for him to work for?

Sure, he'll have a role in this league. He's going to be fine a role player for the duration of his rookie contract. After his rookie deal, though, he'll be 28 and at the end of his peak.

DickGrayson wrote:Brogdon/Duarte in the backcourt ....Duarte has deceptive speed and will surprise people with athleticism. He's better shooting Zach Lavine with active hands on defense. I wanted CD5 on the Knicks because I believe it would address the Knicks biggest need. I think being away from the NY media it would give CD5 more room to grow and focus.

I mean, if Duarte is Zach Lavine with active hands on defense then this was a home run. Lavine is an All-Star that plays minimal defense. If he played defense as well, he'd probably be an All-NBA guy. I really hope that Duarte is anything clsoe to that. If he is, I'll gladly eat gobs of crow :D

DickGrayson wrote:Indiana is a great place to develop your game...Pacers could make the 5th seed if they use their cap space to get some wing players and a downhill guard.

We could make the 5th seed without adding anyone in the draft. Our roster isn't as bad as Bjorkgren made it look and I have full faith in Carlisle doing a good job. We will also be getting Warren back (if he isn't traded) so that's a bonus. We were 7 games away from the 5th seed last year so that's a jump that could easily happen just due to the coaching change and Warren's return.

We were definitely in a spot where we could someone with more long-term potential. GSW, on the other hand, was in a spot where they needed help now. Frankly, we still should swap Duarte and Moody. Let GSW take Duarte and us take Moody. That makes more sense for both teams.

DickGrayson wrote:I'm also a fan of Moody, but Duarte is more creative offensive and has better handles. Moody would need a PG to get his offense off until he develops. Duarte is a sure thing and can run an offense. He's a gym rat who study tape constantly. Indiana trusted Duarte with the 13 pick for a reason.

We trusted him because he was the safest pick. That's not a good reason, imo.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch

Return to Indiana Pacers