Re: 76ers Remain Uninterested In Trading Ben Simmons For CJ McCollum

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

76ers Remain Uninterested In Trading Ben Simmons For CJ McCollum 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:30 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers continue to seek Damian Lillard from the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Ben Simmons and are not prepared to settle for CJ McCollum.

There were suggestions this week that the 76ers were warming to the idea of trading for McCollum, who would give the team perimeter shot creation in the halfcourt.

Based on the reported trade offers the 76ers made leading up the draft, they are in no rush to resolve the future of Simmons.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#2 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:45 pm

after what they demanded from gs is there even a market? :lol: Knowing morey what did you bet he wants a straight swap too?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#3 » by the_process » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:07 pm

The Sixers would trade Tobias Harris and Matisse Thybulle for McCollum and Covington IMO.
NWGunner
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#4 » by NWGunner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:32 pm

In other news, the Portland Trailblazers remain uninterested in trading Damian Lillard for Ben Simmons.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#5 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:14 pm

Morey is probably asking for Dame + 2 future 1st, or McCollum + 4 future 1st :lol:
NWGunner
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#6 » by NWGunner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:49 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Morey is probably asking for Dame + 2 future 1st, or McCollum + 4 future 1st :lol:

Or all of the above.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 pm

My guess is it’ll be months before the Sixers consider any offers like this. For now, Simmons’ value is at an all time low but he’s signed for 4 more years and will once again play like an AS (if a lower level one) next season. Morey knows that adding a nice jump shooter isn’t likely to bring the Sixers any further than they’ve been, and the bigger issue is that McCollum is 5 years older than Simmons. If the Sixers see that they really can’t go into the season with Simmons around, and the offers aren’t any better, then you could maybe go with this. Until then they can just keep trolling other teams by asking for 6 1sts and a gallon of virgin blood.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 pm

How would this trade help Lillard? If they trade CJ, it should be for a piece that compliments Lillard's game, not Simmons. He needs to play the point to be effective on the offense and can't shoot. A good compliment would be a solid 2/3 like Jaylen Brown or Paul George or a big like Sabonis or Randle. Otherwise, just keep CJ. Simmons would be a change, but would it really make the Blazers better? I don't see it. Not unless Simmons gets a better post game or a much better shot.
K3nny Pow3rs
Senior
And1: 707

Post#9 » by K3nny Pow3rs » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:07 pm

HotelVitale wrote:My guess is it’ll be months before the Sixers consider any offers like this. For now, Simmons’ value is at an all time low but he’s signed for 4 more years and will once again play like an AS (if a lower level one) next season. Morey knows that adding a nice jump shooter isn’t likely to bring the Sixers any further than they’ve been, and the bigger issue is that McCollum is 5 years older than Simmons. If the Sixers see that they really can’t go into the season with Simmons around, and the offers aren’t any better, then you could maybe go with this. Until then they can just keep trolling other teams by asking for 6 1sts and a gallon of virgin blood.

And an all-time low is 100 votes on the All-Defensive 1st Team, tied with Rudy Golbert.
He still averaged 14.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 9.2 assists, 2.2 turnovers in the 1st Round.
But having one bad series vs. Atlanta is enough to charge him with treason.
Meanwhile Embiid shoots .370 from the field in the 7-game series vs. Toronto 2019, and gets swept by Boston in 2020, and he's the new Olajuwon....
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,209

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 pm

tigerae wrote:How would this trade help Lillard? If they trade CJ, it should be for a piece that compliments Lillard's game, not Simmons. He needs to play the point to be effective on the offense and can't shoot. A good compliment would be a solid 2/3 like Jaylen Brown or Paul George or a big like Sabonis or Randle. Otherwise, just keep CJ. Simmons would be a change, but would it really make the Blazers better? I don't see it. Not unless Simmons gets a better post game or a much better shot.

Spot on. Simmons would not fit with Lillard and CJ would be a great fit with PHI. It would be foolish for POR to bring in Simmons... but Tobias Harris....
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#11 » by kuclas » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 am

K3nny Pow3rs wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:My guess is it’ll be months before the Sixers consider any offers like this. For now, Simmons’ value is at an all time low but he’s signed for 4 more years and will once again play like an AS (if a lower level one) next season. Morey knows that adding a nice jump shooter isn’t likely to bring the Sixers any further than they’ve been, and the bigger issue is that McCollum is 5 years older than Simmons. If the Sixers see that they really can’t go into the season with Simmons around, and the offers aren’t any better, then you could maybe go with this. Until then they can just keep trolling other teams by asking for 6 1sts and a gallon of virgin blood.

And an all-time low is 100 votes on the All-Defensive 1st Team, tied with Rudy Golbert.
He still averaged 14.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 9.2 assists, 2.2 turnovers in the 1st Round.
But having one bad series vs. Atlanta is enough to charge him with treason.
Meanwhile Embiid shoots .370 from the field in the 7-game series vs. Toronto 2019, and gets swept by Boston in 2020, and he's the new Olajuwon....

Embiid was +100 the Toronto series. Even with a bad offensive performance. The minute he left the floor the Sixers were out scored immediately. Look at game 7. He left the floor for 2 minute. Sixers were our scored by 12 points.

Against Boston. Embiid averaged 30/10 on 60% TS. That’s darn good. But his defense sucked that series I’m being fair and honest. So offensive stats aren’t everything.

Embiid was very good on hobbled knee against the hawks outside of second half of game 4. He does tend to wear down. There why Sixers need a secondary iso creator on offense. But when your point guard can’t stay in the game or can’t shoot. That’s a problem

It’s the same story every post season with Simmons in second round. Teams sag off him. Crowd Embiid. But the hawks series was a different level of mental case of the yips. He’s not a 34% free throw shooter. He’s a 60% free throw shooter. Still bad. But he shouldn’t be shooting 34%. It clearly got to his head where he didn’t even want to attempt a dunk because he was afraid of getting fouled.

But while Embiid does have to take some of the blame especially down the stretch. It’s Simmons ineffectiveness in half court in playoffs.

I think Morey keeps Simmons until trade deadline. Simmons will get his usual 16/8/8 and will see than
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#12 » by ebrian » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:08 am

76ers likely need to wait until all the free agent and restricted free agent point guards have found a home before they can earnestly get close to the value they believe Ben Simmons is worth from one of the remaining teams that struck out on the aforementioned point guards.

And hopefully by then that terrible, terrible playoff performance is perhaps less fresh in everyone's minds. :lol:
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#13 » by 23artest23 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 am

I think the 76ers will end up settling for less than half of the current outrageous demands. I pity the team that ends up biting...it's 2021 and I can't imagine trying to coach in today's game with a starting PG that can't shoot. So much of todays game is predicated on spacing and efficiency but Ben is a detriment to both with such a terrible offensive game away from the basket. I've seen people suggest that he play PF but that brings on a new set of problems to go along with many of the prior. The thing I hear less about but really strikes me is that Ben is midway thru his career with the shooting problems. For me, that says that he may not be capable of further improving his overall shot or that he hasn't put in the work to do so. Either one should be alarming.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#14 » by HotelVitale » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:40 am

kuclas wrote:It’s the same story every post season with Simmons in second round. Teams sag off him. Crowd Embiid. But the hawks series was a different level of mental case of the yips. He’s not a 34% free throw shooter. He’s a 60% free throw shooter. Still bad. But he shouldn’t be shooting 34%. It clearly got to his head where he didn’t even want to attempt a dunk because he was afraid of getting fouled.

But while Embiid does have to take some of the blame especially down the stretch. It’s Simmons ineffectiveness in half court in playoffs.

I think Morey keeps Simmons until trade deadline. Simmons will get his usual 16/8/8 and will see than

I’m with you on most of this, and I def don’t really want to ‘blame’ Embiid, but the part about teams crowding Embiid or doubling or whatever just didn’t happen against the Hawks. Embiid was in good spots, so was Tobias, and they just didn’t score as much as the Hawks did. Simmons didn’t help but he didn’t gum things up horribly or make it impossible for those guys to do their thing. They had good chances, and the team lost. It’s hard to have a team without a reliable closer or system.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#15 » by kuclas » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:34 am

HotelVitale wrote:
kuclas wrote:It’s the same story every post season with Simmons in second round. Teams sag off him. Crowd Embiid. But the hawks series was a different level of mental case of the yips. He’s not a 34% free throw shooter. He’s a 60% free throw shooter. Still bad. But he shouldn’t be shooting 34%. It clearly got to his head where he didn’t even want to attempt a dunk because he was afraid of getting fouled.

I’m with you on most of this, and I def don’t really want to ‘blame’ Embiid, but the part about teams crowding Embiid or doubling or whatever just didn’t happen against the Hawks. Embiid was in good spots, so was Tobias, and they just didn’t score as much as the Hawks did. Simmons didn’t help but he didn’t gum things up horribly or make it impossible for those guys to do their thing. They had good chances, and the team lost. It’s hard to have a team without a reliable closer or system.

That’s the thing. Sixers have no second option Harris is more a third option. They have no iso half court creator. Butler was the closet thing to iso guard creator. Actually butler took over a lot of point guard duties in that Toronto series in 2019. Simmons is pretty useless in half court set in playoffs during crunch time.

Till the Sixers figure what to do with Simmons in offense. They will continue to lose. Their talent may overwhelm first round opponents. But they will lose in second round if Simmons continues to be the main point guard.
Go4TheGokd1988
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#16 » by Go4TheGokd1988 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 am

Wow Embiid, Curry, McCollum could do some damage but I guess Philly is happy staying with Simmons and posing no real threat come playoffs. That's why they will be 2nd round and done for a while.
SkynMan
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#17 » by SkynMan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:32 pm

Go4TheGokd1988 wrote:Wow Embiid, Curry, McCollum could do some damage but I guess Philly is happy staying with Simmons and posing no real threat come playoffs. That's why they will be 2nd round and done for a while.

Philly reminds me of the Raptors with DeRozan them years
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#18 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:44 pm

All posturing imo. Philly wants more added & maybe rightfully so. I think they want dame first and foremost but if that scenario looks like it won’t happen maybe they start to test the waters on cj a bit more as he seems like a natural fit

Return to Wiretap Discussion