Jordan Poole

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: Jordan Poole 

Post#121 » by FNQ » Sun Aug 1, 2021 7:53 am

ILOVEIT wrote:IF JP is for real...man....what a steal.

I think another poster brought this up but having Poole START at shooting guard, moving Klay to SF ....not a bad option depending on what we do with Wiggins.

I really doubted Poole....way wrong.

For the love of all that is ****, please stop suggesting Klay can play SF. He cannot. Poole should only start at SG to replace Klay's shooting ability, and that was before we drafted Moody, who can probably replicate Klay's game better.

One of those 2 should start, at SG. If we care more about the offensive side, Poole. If we care more about the defensive side, Moody. Klay at SF is a disaster of an idea and its been dragged to death already, it will never be a good idea in this system
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#122 » by weekend_warrior » Sun Aug 1, 2021 8:08 am

I know that Poole and Curry looked together pretty good. I would still have Poole come off the bench though and have his responsibility there increased instead of swimming with the starters.

I think he can develop into a good lead guard type and the bench unit really needs that. Also he had nice chemistry with JTA at the end of the season and we should try to build on that. It will make life much easier for the rest of that unit.

I would start Moody or a veteran at SG before Klay is back, depending on what happens with Wiseman. Probably only one of Wiseman and the 2 rooks should start, to not dig a hole early. (That could change if Moody appears to be ready.)
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#123 » by Quazza » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:45 pm

Curious. What do we people think he can get his scoring average to this season ?

16-17 a game off the bench would be amazing for us
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#124 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:45 pm

Quazza wrote:Curious. What do we people think he can get his scoring average to this season ?

I don’t care about his points per game. I want good smart shots, and I’d like to see him be a good and willing passer. Sprinkle in some defense and you e made Mylie happy! Congrats!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#125 » by Jester_ » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:02 pm

Quazza wrote:Curious. What do we people think he can get his scoring average to this season ?

Seems unlikely if Klay comes back.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#126 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:33 pm

FNQ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:IF JP is for real...man....what a steal.

I think another poster brought this up but having Poole START at shooting guard, moving Klay to SF ....not a bad option depending on what we do with Wiggins.

I really doubted Poole....way wrong.

For the love of all that is ****, please stop suggesting Klay can play SF. He cannot. Poole should only start at SG to replace Klay's shooting ability, and that was before we drafted Moody, who can probably replicate Klay's game better.

One of those 2 should start, at SG. If we care more about the offensive side, Poole. If we care more about the defensive side, Moody. Klay at SF is a disaster of an idea and its been dragged to death already, it will never be a good idea in this system

Yeah, I could see Kerr going with Baze or Lee starting at 2 if Klay can't go too. Kerr doesn't like moving the 1st backup up to starting due to injury. IIRC he said he likes to keep the rotations consistent rather than shuffle the whole thing.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#127 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:35 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

I don’t care about his points per game. I want good smart shots, and I’d like to see him be a good and willing passer. Sprinkle in some defense and you e made Mylie happy! Congrats!

Barbosa level contribution.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#128 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 5:13 pm

I wouldn’t count on Bazemore being here. He wants a multi year deal. I like him better than a lot of people do, and if you push him down the rotation ladder he’s a nice piece off the bench.

But if I’m making choices, Id go Batum and others way before making offers to Bazemore.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 6:35 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I wouldn’t count on Bazemore being here. He wants a multi year deal. I like him better than a lot of people do, and if you push him down the rotation ladder he’s a nice piece off the bench.

But if I’m making choices, Id go Batum and others way before making offers to Bazemore.

I'd go for Batum over baze too, particularly with Klay, Moody, and Kuminga being added to last year's roster.

That said the Warriors can offer Baze a 2 year deal at a 20% raise.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,232

Post#130 » by Impuniti » Sun Aug 1, 2021 8:23 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I wouldn’t count on Bazemore being here. He wants a multi year deal. I like him better than a lot of people do, and if you push him down the rotation ladder he’s a nice piece off the bench.

I'd go for Batum over baze too, particularly with Klay, Moody, and Kuminga being added to last year's roster.

Can't they offer Baze 2 year and get Batum on MLE?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#131 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 8:39 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Can't they offer Baze 2 year and get Batum on MLE?

Yes.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#132 » by DevinVassell » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:17 pm

For those interested, a nice in-depth article on Poole.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/jordan-pool-golden-state-warriors-analysis-videos/
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,236

Post#133 » by Outside » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:17 pm

DevinVassell wrote:For those interested, a nice in-depth article on Poole.

Nice breakdown. The potential is there. The improvement since his rookie season is significant. The question is whether he can continue to improve in areas where he is deficient and get more consistent in areas where he excels. Definitely something to keep an eye on this season.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Nicely done and well sourced article

This board had him as poor man's Curry at about midseason and it looks like the media is figuring it out too

I dont like the idea of starting him though, unless its just to get our offense zipping early for a few minutes a game. It throws our defense into disarray, as we can only hide one guard at a time. But anything less than 20mpg for the guy would be criminal - he eats all of the non Steph minutes (14mpg) and then gets between 6-10 with Curry per game
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#135 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:13 pm

Great read, Devin. Thanks for the link.

As for Poole, I'd like us to keep him in a 6th man role, even with Klay out.

He surprised me a lot this past season. I thought he had an absolutely horrific rookie season and was on the way out of the NBA after his deal is over. Glad he proved me wrong.

I'd like to see more versatility for him, though. Not only scoring, but passing, facilitating, and of course rebounding a bit more and an upgrade on defense and efficiency.

His long term potential depends on all of these things, or else he will always be a sparkplug off the bench, Jamal Crawford, Jordan Clarkson style.

I expect a medium sized jump from him this next season... if he somehow gets 15/3/4 with above average league efficiency I'd be extremely happy.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#136 » by Jester_ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 am

FNQ wrote:

This board had him as poor man's Curry at about midseason and it looks like the media is figuring it out too

I dont like the idea of starting him though, unless its just to get our offense zipping early for a few minutes a game. It throws our defense into disarray, as we can only hide one guard at a time. But anything less than 20mpg for the guy would be criminal - he eats all of the non Steph minutes (14mpg) and then gets between 6-10 with Curry per game

Agreed. Throw him into a starting role now and we'll get Monta Ellis syndrome
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#137 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:10 am

We play a particular way with Steph and Klay playing off ball through a lot of screens and ball movement. Our non-scoring players are high IQ ball movers and screeners e.g. Draymond, Looney, JTA and Iguodala.

Historically we have trouble playing the same way when Steph sits. Kerr tried to have Klay on the court while Steph sat, which helped a bit, but the problem was still there. The problem is that without an off ball threat(s), those supplemental players are not as useful in a vacuum.

You only have a 8-10 man rotation and you don't have enough players to play 2 different schemes.

I am all for keeping Poole as the 6th man, so our offense can keep humming when Steph sits. The player combination will be unlocked as well when we have 1 or 2 of Steph/Klay/Poole on the court. You can combo 2 of them with any 2-3 of Draymond/Looney/JTA/Iguodala.

That is our bread and butter until Porter or Bjelica show they can be a key piece, or Wiseman/Moody/Kuminga show they are worthy of regular rotation minutes.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#138 » by xdrta+ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:19 am

I agree with those saying have Poole come off the bench. They need scoring from the bench and that's what Poole provides. At least he better provide it. Until Klay is back I look for Lee to start, he knows how to play with Steph and Draymond and can be a quiet contributor.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#139 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 am

FNQ wrote:

That's interesting that you would say that, I thought you felt he could pair with Steph just fine... I thought the two of them in the backcourt would be a problem defensively but the team seemed to click so well with them playing together late last season that I think it can work.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by FNQ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:22 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
FNQ wrote:

That's interesting that you would say that, I thought you felt he could pair with Steph just fine... I thought the two of them in the backcourt would be a problem defensively but the team seemed to click so well with them playing together late last season that I think it can work.

Relative to Oubre, yes. Relative to Lee, Bazemore, Mulder... absolutely. But relative to Iguodala? Moody? I'd rather see either one over Poole. Still not Lee, and not OPJ (yet - prove your healthy first).

And yes I am also very quick to point out that our net rating was spectacular when they were paired together. However, like the death lineup, I think there's a time and a place for it, and it shouldnt be our default. Its not going to be pretty defensively, but if we're in an offensive rut, its the go-to lineup. I wouldnt even mind starting games with it.

But I dont like the idea of throwing Poole and Curry together for 20+ mpg, because just like how sometimes we'd need an offensive kick in the ass, that lineup would likely constantly need a defensive kick in the ass. Our 1-2-3 usually share these responsibilities: 1 player on-ball as much as possible, 1 player scrambling as much as possible, and 1 player on the team's least likely handler. When healthy, that's Klay, Wiggins, and Curry respectively. Now with a Curry/Poole tandem... one of them is going to have to be the on-ball defender, and that can help the opposition get in a rhythm offensively.

Return to Golden State Warriors